Masters Running

TGIF Feb. 22 Boomer/Master Runs and whatever ... (Read 560 times)

Up and out at 4:30 AM (snore ...) for 12 miles total. Sandwiched in there were 10 repeats of 3:00 minutes each at a "moderate" pace. I tried to keep them (by feel only) slightly slower than tempo and I think I got them pretty close. The 3:00 min. repeats were run at 8:25, 8:08, 8:03, 8:00, 8:17, 8:08, 8:16, 8:12, 8:13 and 8:04 min/mile pace. 2:00 recovery between each. Now I need a nap (snore ...) Thanks everyone for the comments in my DNF thread. Forget all of it. I didn't mean any of it. Cool Cool Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Bill - that was an early hour run this morning!! Nice job. We blew off going to the gym last night. I got home a little later than expected and was just plain tired. Simple as that. Rest from running today and my leg is feeling quite normal - so I'm hoping for a good run tomorrow. Heat wave expected - going to be up into the 20's!!! Big grin TGIF! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The Jogger

Morning Gang Bill not only doing 12 miles but intervals or repeats thrown in wow. I did a 3 miler which was supposed to be yesterday but work got in the way. Glad now it did as my 70% was my best pace yet. Anyway 3m 30:13 @ 10:05 AHR 150 70% Mary did you see the 305 link I posted on Wed? Good Runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Yawn... nice EARLY run breeger! Nice run Roy at 70%! 6 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in lovely 32.5F rain and splish splasy, puddles and glasses I couldn't see through and the garmin took on water. Nice puddle behind the glass! Otherwise a wonderful run Big grin Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Roy - yes I did see that link and have it saved in my "favorites" folder. Thank you!! Did you buy your 305 yet?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

I'm on an every other day routine now, so no run today. It's getaway day here in Baltimore. We were supposed to have a storm but it didn't materialize, maybe an inch of snow, so flights should be okay. I'm training business bankers this week and next, which is my favorite thing to do Mary, I'm relieved about your leg, as I thought the same as PDR. Glad you are okay. Good to see hermosaboy is up and around again. Spareribs

The Jogger

No Mary, Mrs Roy getting it for my 50th in a couple of weeks Smile

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for starting us off on this TGIF Bill....and what an awesome run you had.....and thanks for your DNF thread...valuable information, as I tend to not use my head sometimes with my running Smile Hey Mary, hoping for a good long run tomorrow for you...in moderating temps....suppose to be in the 30"s here in Indiana. Nice runs Roy and Perch...always great to read about your runs Smile I had a good run last night....in a snow storm, but the streets were clear though. I could barely see where I was going at times, but was just careful. I did a winter version of mile repeats last night where I run 1 mile easy, then 1 mile 30 seconds below my 5K pace. I had a total of 8 miles with my 4 fast ones in 6:58 - 6:55 - 7:01 - then the last one I ran harder in 6:53. Had an ave HR of 146 with a Max of 182, ouch Big grin Oh yeah, the blister and stubbed toe pain in my right foot is almost gone, but my left toe blister really hurt bad last night, but today is my rest day, so I bet by tomorrow it will be a lot better....I did stick the blister to relieve the pressure and pain a little. As I "think" Holly mentioned yesterday about feeling slow and sluggish, I have to admit I have been running sooooo many just slow easy miles, that I feel / felt the same way. I have decided it's time for me to start to incorporate more speed work in every week....like my run last night. I just signed up for a local 5K April 12 that I would like to PR. Have a wonderful Friday all....and happy running, or what ever else you all are doing today Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Jlynne

Ah, runners are a peculiar group of people, aren't we? Running through groin pulls, blisters, bleeding toes, etc. etc. etc. There must be something in our DNA that makes others wonder if we're normal. Like Mary, this is my much needed rest day (mental more than anything else). I found that that the local marathon is having a training run tomorrow morning. The halfers are up to 8 miles which I know I can easily handle, and the weather is supposed to be in the 20's with no snow in the forecast Smile, so I'm looking forward to my first run outdoors in quite a while. Awesome run this morning, Breger. You too, Roy, Perch and biketm. Perch, your run through puddles has me fired up for spring. The only thing we're running through right now is snow banks! Have a great Friday, everyone. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #957

My workout this morning was similar to Breger’s just slower and shorter. 3.2 miles outside in 24 degrees and freezing drizzle, followed by this on the treadmill: (3 min almost HMRP – 8:20/1 min recovery – 9:40) x 10 Plus CD made 9 miles total. I’m amazed I was able to do these paces, actually, considering this carpy cold. I’ve talked my boss into letting me work a half-day today, so I foresee an afternoon nap in my future......ahhhh...blisss...... Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Outstanding run Holly! That short recovery period speaks volumes ... 7:50 per mile - 10K. You heard it here first. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

btb1490

Yes, TGIF! from yesterday... Tallrunner- have you thawed out from yesterday? Too bad I didn't know you last year, we possibly could've hooked up in Ottawa. Listen to your lady friend about backing off... good advice, but often easier said than done. wildchild, soundrunner- OWWW is right! I hope you guys are no worse for the wear today. wildchild, so you've found one positive thing about the winter weather, you have ice at your disposal during your run! deez4boyz- scary story about falling asleep at the wheel. I've caught myself a few times doing that. And I LOVE the sound of your vacation day!!! I hope it went as well as you planned. Safe travels back and again good luck this weekend. dtoce- nice strong run! eliz- thanks for dropping in! Can you wear your orthotic in your day shoes to help break them in? Don't be a stranger. halllar- what you said about the fence is so true, anyone can just hop it. I read once that fences and locks don't keep criminals out, they just keep innocent people innocent. today... Bill- a 12 mile FAST run, and then starting off the daily, all before many of us had our first cup of coffee already! Nice splits, and I'm glad you seem to be back in the groove again. Mary- sounds like your rest is just what your leg needed. What a relief! Have an awesome run tomorrow! Roy- good morning back! I hate when work gets in the way like that, but it also gave you a great run today! Steve- I'll bet the pooch didn't mind all that mess out there this AM. It must've been nasty for the Garmin to get wet like that! Tim- great job with the snowy speedwork! Did you finally move your bike trainer out of the way so you don't have to deal with any more stubbed toes? Keep those blisters at bay, and you'll be blistering to a new 5k PR in April. Jeanne- if you can get outdoors tomorrow, DO IT! Just say no to the treadmill. Enjoy! Holly- you've earned your nap with that run! I think you're gonna see a lot more even speedier runs like that coming up, given the awesome base you have. Started the day here with a nice walk with the dog with snow falling that looked like powdered sugar coming down. Yumm, powdered sugar.... Very quiet and peaceful and pretty. Followed that up with some core work. If motivated, I may hit the gym at lunchtime to do something, not sure what yet. We'll see what looks interesting if and when I get there. How's that for a solid plan? Have a great Friday gang!
                            Easy 5 miler with T this morning...8:16 pace... I didn't reply on your DNF thread Bill,but I think your one of the smartest and most talented runners here...You gotta know when to fold'em...
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            SteveP

Bill, I chatted with some one along a marathon. After I finished, I saw her being wheeled by in a gurney on the way to the hospital. A few days later, my brother and I were at the hospital with Mom and we were told the marathon kept the staff busy. Less paper work in your DNF than others have had I'm sure. You had a good point by checking the ego at the starting line. Mary, we have a 5K snow shoe race tomorrow at 10:00 AM....Come on up, it will only be freezing...not cold like we've had it. Jlynne, because I'm a runner, no one asks my opinion on issues requiring sound judgment. As there is a race Saturday, it may be a rest day today, but I'll take gym gear just in case. My poor wife. I may have been mentioned on the news this morning. Batman related. Believe it or not. No pictures or story to look up. 15 seconds of fame. The crew was talking about old TV shows that should be brought back and up to date. One of the anchors said "Stephen would like a new Batman series" The rest snorked and one of the other anchors said, "He likes to dress up like Batman....a lot". The weather man said "He has pictures too.". DW thinks they were talking about me. I was wondering if I have an evil twin...Or am I the evil twin????? Though I've seen some of these people at races, I've never talked with them. 15 years ago I worked in a hotel and knew the PM anchors

SteveP

evanflein

Rest day today, but a late post of last night's run. Didn't hit the road till about 6 but it was still around +30F and slick, but getting dark. I took my flashlight and headed down the bikepath which has a couple inches of soft mushed up snow. Easy enough to let gravity help with the trip down (miles @ 8:26 and 8:05), but the trip back up was hard (8:48, 9:02 (steepest part), 8:5xsomething), overall 8:47 pace. Most of that last mile was done going back and forth on the .33 mile (relatively flat) road in front of my house. 5.2 miles total. A little cooler today but still very nice. I'll probably go for a walk at lunchtime to get some sunshine, and shovel hardpack snow tonight. Holly, how'd that 7:50 pace feel? Steve, I hope your Garmin dries out ok... I've run in the rain with mine (Napa marathon in 2006 gave it a good soaking) but it never leaked. Tim I thought of you last night... needed my flashlight for the return trip up the hill. I'll sure be glad when we have more daylight than darkness (soon.....). I love running in the sunlight at 10 pm!! Happy Friday everyone! I for one am very glad Friday came along.