Masters Running

Holiday Monday Daily, 9.2.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday, DN and her girlfriend spent most of the day "bronzing" at Hampton Beach while DW and I spent more time painting deck furniture. I also got the lawn mowed and pulled the stalks from this year's daylilies - goodness, there were a lot of 'em! Since we did wine tasting on Saturday night, we had another friend join us for a little cheese tasting last night. We had two sheep cheeses, one dusted with rosemary and a couple of other spices, and the other infused with truffles, and a creamy blue brie. We tested, tasted, and compared notes, and also enjoyed our margaritas and wine. We followed the tasting with soft-shelled lobsters, fresh corn, and potato salad, with ice cream and Midnight Moo for dessert.

So, yeah, I had to go for a workout this morning to work off what I ate and drank last night. It was foggy enough when I got up that I couldn't see anything but white outside. So I waited till it lightened up a bit before heading out. 5.5 paper-bag racewalking miles in fog-laden 70 degrees. I wore my ankle brace, and the ankle held up OK. Now (about an hour later), the fog and morphed to rain, which is supposed to be with us all day. So it goes.

Have a greta holiday Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Fog, you say...how much wine did you have?

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Big grin

Rest day for me...foggy and wet here in PA as well.  I should have mowed grass yesterday.  All the spiderwebs are glistening so all the bushes, posts, house and even grass are covered...looks like Halloween outside this morning.  Some of the webs are 3-4 feet across which makes it a challenge getting the paper this morning. Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Jlynne

Big grin Good morning Jay, Mike and all to follow. IRC here this morning. A beautiful clear sky and 57° at 5:30 (probably hours past Jay's starting time) when I took off. 6.4 miles at a 9:54 pace. Slowly, slowly, slowly the walk breaks are getting shorter and the run parts are getting faster. I don't even mind walking any more when the old hamstring cooperates. Just soooo happy to be out there again.

Denise - I hope things get better. How hard this must be for a mother who loves her children unconditionally.

(((Henry))) Good luck to you too, friend.

Hey Erika and Holly - if you have any "overstock" on veggies when you clean out your gardens, let me know!

Lots of great racing over the weekend. My kids are doing a "tough mudder" this Saturday and I want to join them, but know I'm not anywhere close to running one of these. I think the part where they crawl under barbed wire and jump over burning logs kind of convinced me Wink

DH and I are playing in a husband/wife golf tournament this afternoon. Alternate shot - I hope we're still talking when this thing is over tonight!

King of PhotoShop

Ah, the old Scotch foursome tournament, divorce creator. Good luck jlynne!  My ex-wife back in those days was a 9 handicap. I never had to worry that she would leave me in a bad spot.

As miserable as it is to run here in TX during the summer, today was almost comically bad.   Constant rain, lightning and heat!  But I got 4.4 in with my RP and we had a few laughs.  Glad that's over with.

Last night for dinner I smoked a meatloaf, one of my favorite meals to make and it was greta.  I have threatened to kill the Tamster on FB as she continues to post all kinds of canned preserves and other tasty stuff.  But it was a good weekend for cooking.

Now back to baseball.  So many of my RA friends must be excited.  The Red Sox now have the AL's top record, and my Rangers lead the West, while the Tigers have the Central sewed up.  I am terrified of the Tigers with that starting rotation though.  It's been a fun season so far.  Spareribs

Tramps

Twocat—sorry to see the new avatar

Denise—hope things improve with Justin

Amy—ouch!  Tough running.

Divechief—have a great trip. We want pictures.

Holly—the definition of a “dream” vacation is personal but be aware that I hear (from a former grad student who lives in Mexico) that Playa del Carmen has gotten very touristy, with massive development (e.g. US chain restaurants), bigger crowds, and higher prices just in the last couple of years.  The beaches are still beautiful but the crowds are increasingly an issue—all second hand, so take it FWIW.

Troy—stunning!

Those of you who are Woody Allen fans—or just want to learn more—might be interested in this site, Every Woody Allen Movie,  that reviews all of his films and has interesting tidbits of background info..

Tough day.  100% humidity, very warm, dead calm, clear skies, direct sunlight.  Ouch.  I could have used twice the amount of water my fuel belt held.  I was okay through about 10 miles, started going downhill quickly and, after I hit the hill about a mile from my house, I ended up just plain walking.  14 miles total, including the 1-mile walk of shame.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Beautiful day for a run.  Low 60's, low humidity, nice breeze, partly cloudy.  

I ran my 9th Labor Day 5k at the Chippewa Nature Center.  A real nice event.  As expected, it was my 3rd slowest effort (of the 9) as I ran in the back quarter of the field.  I tried to hold a 9:00 pace like Saturday but fell a little short.  GPS had it at 8:59, 9:18, 9:08, :39 for 28:05 (GPS also had the course slightly short but I believe the course over the GPS.)   "Racing" (to use the term loosely) 2 days apart may have slowed me ever so slightly.  It's not my normal schedule.

I'm not depressed about being 6 minutes over my course PR of a couple years ago.  I feel like I am on the comeback trail and will improve during the fall and winter months.

This was race #5 of the year, and #155 since I started keeping records in 1989.

Marathon Maniac #957

"Racing" (to use the term loosely) 2 days apart may have slowed me ever so slightly.  It's not my normal schedule.

Not bad at all, considering.  Racing 2 days apart is tough.

9 slow and gentle miles for me this morning in the mist down by the river.

I had thought we might go to the pool today, being the last day it is open, but the weather doesn't look good for it.  Probably a lazy day puttering around the house instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Early post as I am not running until this evening. I have been really consistent about running the evening club run - I even know a couple of folks to say "hi" and have a conversation.

rhoon phast had me wondering about Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve as I felt as if I had slept through a flash flood. Apparently this happened in 1645. What I also found (on Wikipedia of course) is the following:

“Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve is a U. S. National Monument and National Preserve, consisting of the region around the Aniakchak Volcano on the Aleutian Range of south-western Alaska. The 601,294-acre (243,335 ha) monument is one of the least visited places in the National Park System due to its remote location and difficult weather. The area was proclaimed a National Monument on December 1, 1978, and established as a National Monument and Preserve on December 2, 1980. “

Back to Ribs – did you smoke your meatloaf in a pipe?

Tramps - I am right there with you!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

...good tips from tramps//..........''Love and Death'' is one of my favorite movies............

=============

survived the Wedding,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,unfortunately they had NewCastle on Draft>>>>>>>YOWZA!!!!!!

had

I been warmed up,

would have felt like WarmedUp Death the next morning.

.......the  Life on The DL continues, looking at the 15th for my ComeBack

................good running guys.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

BTW, if you haven't seen the threads in the main forum, Rock'n'Roll's owners, Competitive Group Inc, have abruptly dropped support for elite athletes at their events.  Here's an interesting post shedding a little light on the business side of the running business. Reminds me a bit of the takeover of Ironman in the triathlon world, introducing outrageous fees and policies to make a (very big) buck.

I confess I never pay much attention to the elites but I also do not find the whole running-event-as-spectacle trend at all appealing.  For me, it's reinforced the lesson that local non-profit clubs (and related charity events) play a crucial role in sustaining the sport.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps I saw a news article about the R&R marathons basically dropping most of their support for the elite runners.  I think they just saw what was going on with other marathons that offer zero support like the Marine Corps and Disney, noted those had no shortage of people registering and started to wonder what they were spending the money on.  Running's problem, to the degree not having support in most races for elites is a problem, is that there seems to be no way (or at least no way anybody has figured out as yet) to monetize spectating.  TV is one way, but few races in the US are covered and even then not very widely.  So to the extent elites draw spectators those providing the incentives to get the elites cannot reclaim their investment.  Absent a solution I am not surprised by this decision and have long wondered why races offer any support to elites.  Maybe for the few televised races but that would be it.

Today, alas, was the New Haven 20k.  I stayed home.  On the plus side my PF does seem to be starting to recover.  Maybe there is hope for me in the upcoming Reach the Beach Relay.  My foot has 11 days to get itself fixed up to at least some reasonable degree.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, I just went for a little 26.2 mile bike ride in 2:59:56...while Ryan did a little 26.2 mile training run...in 2:59:56.  We talked and joked around the whole dang time.  Have I ever told you how much I love going on 26.2 mile bike rides while Ryan does his 26.2 mile training runs?  Actually,  after his failed attempt, two weeks ago, he really needed this one to go well.  The weather was perfect...man, he looked good the whole way.  At about 22 miles, I could tell he was starting to feel it...yeah...wouldn't it be nice to go 22 miles before you start feeling it?  Anyway...I have to go do my speed work, now...after riding 26.2 miles...

Wow, that Ryan.

Well, my plan to do 12 miles today went better than I expected.  I did 13.2!! Smile  On the bridle trails.  I was fine until about 9 miles, then it got harder, but not any worse until I finished.  I can see the change in my pace around then.  I was sweating buckets, for me that is - it was 75F at the end.

That, I believe, is my longest run since early 2009, before I got sick, so 4 1/2 years ago.  What a long road back it has been.  What sweetness.  I could almost cry, but I'm too happy!

Oh, and edited to add:  I saw my first ever Bobcat!  It ran out across a road by the parking lot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

deez, my thoughts are with Justin and the rest of your family.  steve, neat bear sighting with Tag.  Dave, nice 5K at the Chippewa Nature Center.  I've done several Labor Day races there and enjoyed them.  Mike, great that you biked 26.2 miles while Ryan ran.

Nice long runs for Holly, Aamos, wild, evan Traps, and enke (longest since 2009).

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was some wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:49 pace.

My wife got 12 or 13 dozen ears of sweet corn from a farmer friend this morning.  We spent several hours blanching it, cutting the kernels off the cobs, and putting it in ziplock bags.  We put 25 quart bags of corn in the freezer.  As an experiment, for supper, I grilled some of the corn in the husks.  It wasn't bad.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS