Masters Running

Sat Nov 8 Runs and Workouts (Read 585 times)

Good morning, my frens. Today's task is to brew a little beer -- an English Pale Ale (see http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style08.php#1c ). Our taps are starting to run dry -- I guess I am falling down on the job a bit Smile This after a somewhat peppy 6 miler this morning in wet, but not rainy, conditions. Tomorrow's run / pub crawl will be a new venture for me -- meeting some folks from the 2000 forum down in DC in the afternoon. That should be interesting. 6.2 miles, 51:33, 8:23/mi, AHR 149

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Beer, you can't let those taps run dry...you have to live up to your name! Wink Saturday - 8.02 miles - 1:05:03 - 8:06 - Avg HR 124 Max HR 150 Overcast, drizzle, humid & 52 degrees. A little damp here as well but at least it didn't rain on us today. Have great day all and good luck to anyone racing this weekend. Big grin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone....where is everyone. Probably out running and racing...and sleeping in. The Beer's running out of Beer? good lord, what's happening here slacker buddie. Nice run Lou this morning...the weather has really turned for the worse here in Indiana much like you described. Hey Leslie, I asked the doctor about swimming if I chose the boot route...he said absolutly not....sigh. Sweet run for you this morning speedy dude Bob. Glad you recovered so quick after your very good Marathon. Looking forward toeing up to the the line with ya some time...but would only see our back side as fast as you take off...yikes. Tammy Sue, looking forward to hearing about you race, and thanks. tet, your going to turn me into the taper King...heck, you will prolly have me barefoot running before ya know it...sneaky dude. Yeah, and no more play'n the Tammy card either...highly unfair. Well, getting "non" runs done early is best so I have found out. So 0 miles and the rainy - windy - cold weather was not to bad at all....Heck, I didn't even have to dress for it, but got it done and was comfortable....not sore either. Hey Twocat, I am still a day ahead of ya...how ya holding up? Hope all racing today have peppy legs and good races... good luck. And nice runs and such to the rest of you. Hope you all have a GREAT DAY, and weekend. My foot feels remarkably good this morning...actually almost pain free. I imagine draining the blood out took a lot of the pressure off the inside of my foot and leg. A very heartfelt thanks to EVERYONE with your kind words and well wishes...you all rock, and are my good Frens!!! I can't imagine any greater and nicer people on any other forum anywhere, can you? Still deciding TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Today's task is to brew a little beer ... I guess I am falling down
          I see that Beer Runner is already drinking beer and falling down--so what else is new. He might have had the decency to wait till noon, but I guess he figured it's Saturday and why not start off with the hair of the dog that bit him last night. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            A very heartfelt thanks to EVERYONE with your kind words and well wishes...you all rock, and are my good Frens!!! I can't imagine any greater and nicer people on any other forum anywhere, can you?
            Like Darth Vader in Star Wars, I have the key and under-appreciated role of restoring balance to the Force in our galaxy. Dark Horse
              It's snowing!!! Windy and 33F - just the way I like it! Big grin Out for 6.5 miles this morning at a slow 9:50 pace. Guess it's going to take a while to get used to running in all the extra clothes. At least the snow is melting as it hits the streets so it wasn't slippery. A frosty mug of pale ale sounds really good, Lou. Do you deliver? When you said "pub crawl" does that mean you run to a pub, have a beer, run to the next pub, have a beer, etc? Bet if that's the case you have a huge turnout! Nice zippy run for you this morning, Mainerunnah. 52F and humid - aren't you glad you don't live in Rapid City right now?! Tim - so sorry about your diagnosis! How long will you be on the DL? At least you haven't lost your cheerful attitude. Hang in there, friend - we're all behind you. Well, the Bob Dylan concert was interesting to say the least. We had great seats - 9 rows from the stage. He came out, never said a word and just started playing. He took a lot of "creative liberty" with a lot of his songs, to the point that he'd be halfway through one before I knew what he was playing! He didn't do a lot of his old stuff - "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall," "All Along the Watchtower," and "Tangled Up in Blue" were the only ones I recognized. Still, it was a great crowd - a lot of Boomers and young people, and everyone stood for the entire two hour concert. Did my DH like it? That's another story..... Have a great day, everyone.
                Tim-I just got to read yesterday's thread...{{{Tim}}}...obviously you are an overachiever in the injury department...my advice to you would be to suck it up and put the boot on...get better...then hammer next year...who wants to run in the winter anyways... Going for a slower long run with my friend Julie this morning...she was so tired after last week's run that I advised her she should have a step-back week...but like other ladie's on this board she said no way I want to run as far as I can...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  He might have had the decency to wait till noon, Dark Horse
                  It's noon somewhere. Big grin Bob Dylan....Tangled Up In Blue....great song. While training for marathon last year, I had this on my Ipod. A version by Bruce Hornsby and Bela Fleck. Nobody does it better than Bob, but this is a great extended version. "I just saw it from a different point of view....Tangled up in Blue." No run yet for me this week. Back is much better...I might venture out tomorrow.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Nuts! biketm beat me to today's non-run again! Arrrrghh! I can never catch the guy! Angry Sigh. Well, after working out in the gym I managed a full zero miles yet again today! Almost a week straight without a single minute on the road! Pretty impressive huh? [editor: What are you kidding? My grandma could pull that off! Twocat: Yea and you look like her too! So nah!] biketim about your diagnosis. I would suggest trying to see somebody with more experience with athletes. It is often the case that, as your doctor noted, getting a couch potato going is not the same as getting somebody who is physically active going again. Experience with active patients, I have found out the hard way, helps. Short of that, when I had Achilles tendinitis my doctor explicitly banned me from biking. He said the rotation on the peddles would aggravate the inflammation and the priority was to get it down. So I would likely rule out the option that includes biking. However, as I mentioned before, while my tendinitis took three months to heal once since then it has not returned. But, I am now religious about doing various exercises that are supposed to keep it from coming back. For one there is actually some scientific evidence that it works! That, believe it or not, turns out to be pretty rare when it comes to stretches and exercises for overuse related injuries. Amazing how few things really make such a significant difference that their impact is easy to detect, but there it is. Once you are recovered I would suggest getting the CD from the web page The Injured Runner. The CD provides a number of exercises as well as the occasional note when there is research supporting the use of the particular exercise for the prevention of a particular injury.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

DickyG, I haven't commented before but every day I look forward to what you are going to use to start your post and what the punch line will be. Aamos, I'm sure glad your husband's surgery went well. I hope he heals quickly and well. bike, you sure hit the jackpost with foot issues. That's really a bummer. I wish you well in deciding which course of action to take and coming back from this. Keep up the great taper work. craneium, good luck to you and your volleyball team. This morning, it was in the high 30s with a light wind. I got in 8 miles in a bit under 1:19 for a 9:51 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                        Get Well Tim, we all know you will come back from this temporary set back. Go Timbo!!! Maine running 8 miles so soon after NY marathon, I'd still be learning to walk again. Roll eyes Run, brew, pub crawl, well it's nice to see Lou has his priorities straight. Cool 12.1 miles, 1st 6.2 w/DW came out exactly at 10:00 pace which was the goal. Half marathon in 15 days, this will be the last long run. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Good wishes for Amy's DH, first news sounds promising. Hoping things improve for all the walking wounded around here (geez!), especially Tim's multiple ailments (ouch!). Lynne--I'm a big Dylan fan and have seen him numerous times over the last 30 years on his never ending tour. His shows are sometimes amazing (one with Tom Petty at Madison Square Garden, especially), sometimes challenging (his gospel-heavy "Saved" tour in 1980-?), sometimes surprising (one VA show populated overwhelmingly by tie-dyed Grateful Dead fans); and sometimes mediocre at best (a phone-it-in contractual obligation show at a small baseball field in Nashua, NH). He almost never talks and always reworks material radically--for better or worse. He won't be around much longer so it's great that you got a chance to see him. Rest day for me, but advice needed from techie types: I don’t trust myself with remembering, and then correctly hitting, the lap feature of my Garmin during a race, so I set it on autolap to monitor my lap pace (and avg pace). However, since I don’t run the course perfectly, and the Garmin seems to measure a little long, avg pace data becomes increasingly inaccurate late in a marathon. For example, last year my Garmin measured about 26.5 miles for my race; this year a 20-mile race came in at 20.3--enough to make a difference in a close call. Has anyone ever tried setting the Garmin autolap distance a little long (say, 1.01 miles) to accommodate for this? It seems like doing this would give me a more accurate mile pace, but I wonder if there are unintended consequences I’m not thinking of? Any thoughts? ETA: I’ve got extra time from tapering, so I’ve got to think about something. Tongue

Be safe. Be kind.

Has anyone ever tried setting the Garmin autolap distance a little long (say, 1.01 miles) to accommodate for this? It seems like doing this would give me a more accurate mile pace, but I wonder if there are unintended consequences I’m not thinking of? Any thoughts?
                            Tramps, sounds like a good idea to me. As I have commented before, people who rely on their Garmin training data are going to have a slightly exaggerated idea of their speed, because the Garmin gives them credit for the distance they actually cover and race courses do not. Dark Horse
                              But, I am now religious about doing various exercises that are supposed to keep it from coming back. For one there is actually some scientific evidence that it works! That, believe it or not, turns out to be pretty rare when it comes to stretches and exercises for overuse related injuries. Amazing how few things really make such a significant difference that their impact is easy to detect, but there it is. Once you are recovered I would suggest getting the CD from the web page The Injured Runner. The CD provides a number of exercises as well as the occasional note when there is research supporting the use of the particular exercise for the prevention of a particular injury.
                              Good stuff, 2cat....thanks.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                                Tramps, my post just vapourized, so I'll try again. Interesting idea but why not just mentally add 5 seconds per mile to your pace? I have run a couple races that actually measured short. I like the internal consistency (if not accuracy) of the Garmin to compare my effort from race to race to training runs. 0 miles. I'm thinking at least 3 more days to get this back healed up. I'm in no hurry. I found a Boxing Day race to do while I'm in Canada. Brrrr. Looking forward to it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."