Masters Running

Mon July 21st Runs (Read 480 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, notice wilddaughter is barefoot!
    thanks wild one. give that dd a barefoot hug, especially for that rocky road surface! makes me wonder why all the barefoot dogs in this weekend's fun runs all had shod owners. ps to posie - have you taken anything off yet or are you still sleeping in your new shoes?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Good morning, I was able to get out for a nice 5 mile run before work this morning. I beat the heat if not the humidity that way. Anyways, it was a great way to start the week. Paul

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning 4 recovery miles in IRC for me this morning. Felt great after my two runs over the weekend. Have a great day and great runs everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

evanflein

Hey Deb, yes the race report is posted. Wish I had pictures... but not taking my camera on that course and can't really get back there because it's public access restricted up by the mine... I guess I could run back up the trail from the other end... One thing I didn't add to my RR is that this race is when I usually scope out the blueberry situation. They're usually thick and about ready to pick... but this year I saw nothing. Zip. Nada... sure hope they're just so green still I couldn't see them. Yeah to Holly on the one mile... easy does it! Byll, I'm still trying the recovery run instead of rest day. Figure I'll give it a couple weeks but if I don't notice a difference I'll go back to at least one rest day a week. August is high mileage month for me with the Sept. 20 marathon, so I'll need some rest in there! And on those Nimbus X's, I didn't like mine at all and sent them back. Found a couple pairs of the old Nimbus 9's in my size... need to track down a couple more. On that note... I'm taking my running stuff to work with me to try for 4 recovery miles at lunchtime. But if it's raining I'm sure I'll find something else to do!
          DickyG

Sunday long runs continue to awe me...Tramps, Karin, Tall, Haller, Gordon (what? you didn't take any strawberries on your run?). Sarge: Oh no!!!! Were you running the bases? This is not good. Tall: Thanks for posting the details of your scrumptious dinner on the day I was starving myself for my colonoscopy. Ribs: Great pic...but what IS that thing? TomWhite: Good to see you running on dry land for a change... dg (and Ribs): Thanks for the info & review on the Nike Frees...I don't know...I've gotten so used to Asics...they just fit. I remember when I started running thousands of years ago and running shoes (remember the Nike Waffle Trainers & the Etonic Street Fighters?) were basically a piece of cloth that wrapped around your foot. I want a bit of support & cushioning. 6.15 run yesterday was the most in a while, right? Breger: Great comment..I remember a couple years ago, someone made a comment about my neon yellow Asics Gel-Flashes "They look like very fast shoes". I answered "yeah...the shoes are lightning fast, unfortunately the occupant is molasses slow". Craneium: Welcome back...we've been talking about you behind your back. Great pics! Wildchild: Also great pics Results of my golf tournament...as usual, I lost. After shooting 38 on the front nine yesterday and putting myself completely out of contention, I relaxed, made 3 birdies on the back nine, and shot 35. I think my 2-day total of 147 put me in about 5th or 6th place...I didn't stick around for the awards...had to run home and start my pre-colonoscopy torture. For those who have had one, you know where I spent the rest of the day. Spent so much time on the potty that I finished 3 books, 4 magazines, and composed an entire symphony. Had the procedure this morning...clean report for a change. No running today on doctor's orders. DickyG

King of PhotoShop

That's good news Dicky. Now the dr. will give you guidance on when you have the next one, but if they found you clean, then it's likely it will be a while. That picture is of the "Bean" a huge sculpture in Millennium Park in Chicago. Depending on where you stand, it reflects various parts of the city and is a treasure to the Chicagoans. Well done Bruce. Now you're thinking. First day I am allowed to get out and do something, so I walked 1.5 miles. Felt fine. Dr. appointment at 6 p.m. today to learn of the results from Friday's procedure and likely next steps. Spareribs

Renee the dog

dg (and Ribs): Thanks for the info & review on the Nike Frees...I don't know...I've gotten so used to Asics...they just fit. I remember when I started running thousands of years ago and running shoes (remember the Nike Waffle Trainers & the Etonic Street Fighters?) were basically a piece of cloth that wrapped around your foot. I want a bit of support & cushioning.
                DickyG, based upon what you wrote, don't bother trying the Nike Frees. I don't think you'd like them. They're basically a piece of cloth wrapped around your foot. Big grin I happen to love them, but I'm odd. Or at least my feet are. My feet fight with almost every shoe out there -- cramping up, doing weird calisthenics in there while they should just be along for the ride -- and the Nike Frees are the only ones that calm my darn feet down. I think maybe my feet have claustrophobia? Confused I also run in the now defunct New Balance 825s, and while my feet cramp in them, it is much less than I've experienced in other running shoes. So I use them in my rotation.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

The Jogger

15 mile bike commute...... Good luck Ribs with the appointment.... Roy
                  evanflein

4.5 mile "recovery run" at lunchtime. I suppose it sort of defeats the purpose of the recovery run if the second half is mostly uphill and into strong headwind? Must be a rain front coming through because it was really windy on the way back. I took a "short cut" back to my building that included a pretty steep hill... All in all the pace was easy but once again the effort was not. I don't think I work in an area conducive to true "recovery" runs. My blister rubbed raw again and bled in my shoe. Ick. Need to figure out a better wrap for it, obviously. Ribs and the Saint should be headed to the doctor by now... or there already.
                      Hi everyone, Welcome back Craneium...thought of you when you were up here...glad you had a wonderful time..hopefully we meet someday soon!! Picnic was great dg...Merrickville is a gem along the Rideau Canal. Ran 40 minutes fairly ez today, after yesterday's long run, my legs were a bit tight. Resting tomorrow in case I do a 10 mile race they have on Wednesday night at 6:30pm. Unfortunately they are predicting like close to over a 100F with humidity!!!! Shocked So I may have to pass unless I can just run it vs race it...that might be hard for me. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Greetings from the Philly airport....just stepping in to wish Spareribs and The Saint good luck. Today was a planned rest day as I tromped around South Jersey and Philly in a suit and heels (my heels are fast too by the way Big grin). I am still holding on to that vacation feeling though. A future RAer in the making....I think I have posted about Dr. J's young runner son from time to time. He ran a 10 mile race this winter and is determined to hold all the under 18 age group records in local races. He is 9 years-old and small for his age with the heart of a warrior. He had surgery six weeks ago as he was born with a cleft palate and as he grows, adjustment is required. All of this to say that he had six weeks of no strenuous activity or chewing of solid food. I read this from his mother this morning: "Rory hit the six week mark today and is planning on having a bowl of Doritos for breakfast tomorrow and running 5 miles". What a kid and I am sure he'll do it! Determination and hard work rule the day. off to my gate.... Karin

King of PhotoShop

Good for that youngster Karin. I just love to see a young kid with heart like that. Forgot today to welcome the return of Craneium, but I did enjoy those pics. Craneium is a solid guy. Yes, we are back from the doc appt. I go in again on Thursday and they will put a stent in that heart vessel that isn't getting the job done for me. I'll just be overnight. The doctor believes this is a logical thing to do and that it may well relieve me of my symptoms, and since it is so much less invasive and risky than open heart surgery, it is an odds-on right thing to do, all done through catheterization. This is very pleasing to me, since I have the next 2 weeks off with hardly any work, and then I am booked solid starting the week of August 4 through mid-November so the timing is great. I am so jazzed at having a set of good things to do. Spareribs
                          TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Hi Ribs, Nice job squeezing surgery in between work. Ran on the TM this morning (it's Tuesday here). 1.8 in 10m. First run since knee surgery. Yea. See ya, gotta go to work. Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

...dickyG//..thanks,although my Mud Wrestling Career will suffer for it..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

4 miles very slow but hilly miles with injuied hamstring that loosened up fairly well ran very slow to keep pain low, I think I did more good than harm. It actually hurt more to drive than to run slow, leg really tries to cramp up while driving. Lots of icing and stretching yesterday. Another rest day tomorrow and ready to run properly on Wednesday hopefully. Got caught in a hard rain for about 10 minutes. WET! Dicky I was running down a flyball (in the 1st inning Black eye )when the hammy stopped working. So I moved from leftfield to 2nd base. Craneium that's a great sunset pic Best Wishes Ribs...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.