Masters Running

Stagecoach 10K RR (Read 189 times)

TammyinGP

Stagecoach Run 5K/10K I have not run this particular race before but when I saw they were giving away a Stagecoach Run logo beer glass and lots of door prizes (almost 50% of the entrants won a door prize last year), I figured it’d be a good one to enter and a good chance of getting a decent return on the already low $15 registration fee. Not to mention if you wore your SOR running shirt, you were awarded with $$$ (ended up being a silver dollar – which I gave to my son). Plus, it’s an SOR race for which I can earn points towards SOR Runner of the Year (currently in 2nd place in my AG). I woke up this morning to the coldest temps we’ve had yet! It was 32 degrees when I drove through town, which meant it was probably about 26 or 27 degrees at my house. The race was in Jacksonville, about 40 miles away, and the temps there were also 26 degrees in the early a.m. It probably warmed up to the low 30’s by the start of the race. I had to wear running pants for the first time this year and double layered on top. Even my running gloves weren’t keeping my hands warm enough. It was COLD! The turnout was much larger this year compared to last – almost double. There were about 230 people there with about 2/3 of the field doing the 5K. There goes my almost 50/50 chance of getting a door prize (they had about the same number of door prizes as last year). The 5K and 10K racers all started together and headed out of the little town of Jacksonville along rolling country roads. The autumn colors were beginning to dominate the landscape. It was a scenic run with some of the lower lying valleys still covered with their morning blanket of fog. My goal in this race was to beat my time from a 10K race I ran last month. My time in that race was 54:59 and it had a couple of good sized hills. This course had a few rolling hills, but not as steep as the September race, so I figured a PR should be relatively easy. Splits: Mile 1: 8.22 Mile 2: never saw the mile marker? Mile 3: 17.07 (25:29) Turnaround: (26:18) Mile 4: 8.28 (34:46) Mile 5: 9.10 (43:56) Mile 6: 10.53 (54:45) My final time was 54:45, so my PR wasn’t as easy as I thought. I only took 14 seconds off my PR. I hung around during the ribbon awards, but didn’t place top 3 in my AG. I’m not sure where I placed so will have to look that up when SOR posts their results page. This was a fun race and I’ll do it again next year probably. Next race up is the Grants Pass Half Marathon (with a 9 mile race the week before but just a training run for me). Even stopped in and registered for the HM today. Lack of Fashion Report: navy blue leggings under navy blue shorts, SOR running shirt, ASICS burgundy long sleeve shirts, Nike running gloves, hat, ASICS Foundation 9's. And none of this kept me very warm at all.

Tammy

A PR is a PR and 14 seconds is still good! What happened that last mile, was the marker off, a hill, or did you start to lose it?? Sounds like my kind of race....I wish there were more small races like that around here. Enjoy the beer mug! Nice report. Boy was it chilly this morning. That cold fog is hard to breathe. Good Luck on the Grants Pass HM!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Thanks Enke, that last mile there is actually the last 1.2 miles but the steepest of the rolling hills today just happened to be from about mile 5.7 to 5.9, so as much as I tried to power up it, I know I slowed down just a bit.

Tammy

Sweet Tammy and Enke is right....a PR is a PR is a PR! Way to go and thanks for the good report. This is also good prep. for a half-marathon---gets the legs into quick turnover mode and allows you to push the pace without exhausting the system. CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yes Tammy, a PR is a PR!!!...GREAT JOB! And I enjoyed your race RR...burr, that was chilly out. Hot tub time for our Tammy Girl. Very best luck to you on your 1/2 M....don't forget to let us know how it goes. 9 mile race...that is a odd number, but will be a good training run. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

huskydon

Congrats on your PR! Sounds like a fun race. Hopefully it will be warmer next time. Good luck on your HM! huskydon
              wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Tamster, way to go on the PR! It was cold and foggy here too, so I know what you mean about never quite warming up. What's the date for the Grants Pass Half? Oh, and lack of fashion is nothing to be ashamed of. Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

A new PR is not too shabby, and you looked gorgeous doing it! Great job!

Runners run

Tammy, a 14 second PR is good. Smile Congratulations. Dark Horse
                    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                      WTG Tammy - a PR in less than perfect conditions, and a great warmup for your upcoming races. Way to rake in the big $$$ - it was nice of you to share your big purse with DS!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yay tam - nice first-of-the-weekend PR`s and good foreboding for Grant`s Pass too. ps - do you have a UW t-shirt?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Congratulations Tammy, as everyone has already said a PR is PR not matter what. You ran a great race which is certainly a fine tune up for your upcoming half marathon. Do we see a PR coming at that distance as well? Good luck, I'll be looking forward to the report! Wink
                            Nice 10K in chilly conditions, Tammy. Congrats on a speedy race and PR. TomS
                            SteveP

The race sounds wonderful! Fall Color races rock almost as much as PRs. Thanks Tammy

SteveP

Renee the dog

CONGRATS ON THE PR!!!!!! Cool I feel for ya in those cold conditions...to actually manage a PR while being so uncomfortable is quite an accomplishment in my book.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!