Masters Running

BQ or Bonk - which did he do? (Read 345 times)

Sorry you were dissapointed with your time but a Marathon is still a big deal. Your training has been amazing it just was not your day. I will be doing my first in a few weeks but a wise man I work with who has run 14 marathons told me each one is different but the distance stays the same. Confused I don't get the wisdom there but its all I got Big grin You have a huge PR coming in the next one I would put money on it. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

You finished a marathon Bregger, that is a huge victory in itself. Be proud of yourself for being able to wear that finisher t-shirt (which is a huge accomplishment). Now be also proud of yourself for the strong and dedicated runner you are. You have trained so hard for this, and like others said here...the marathon is a cruel mistress... One never knows how is going to play out until you have covered the whole 26.2 miles...and it seems like today was not the day for you. I also am looking forward to your NEXT. so..rest...recover...and be back for more... Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

a Marathon is still a big deal
        What he said. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

who gives a hoot? How many goddess hugs did you give/get?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Each one of these is an adventure, and as we toe the start line, it's never clear how it's going to turn out. Your training was fantastic, Bill, and you'll have better days. Hard won victory will be very sweet when it comes. I'm glad you you met up with some of the west coast contingent. It's always nice to be able to incorporate Boomer friendship into these race weekends, regardless of the outcome of the race itself. We're fortunate like that, and it helps with the perspective.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Awwww........blame it on the wimmin..........WAY too many Boomer Goddesses.......that HAS to affect a guy. Anyway, you managed a good 16........met a lot of fine people.......had a nice trip with DW.....finished another Marathon......and came out healthy. As a fatalist would say in regards to the bonk......"I am glad I got THAT over with". The next one will be better. Joey
              Vista
                One of the problems with hanging out here with all these elite runners is that you start to think that anything less than a BQ is a "bonk", which it certainly is not! In a few days you'll probably start forgetting the tough parts and maybe appreciate all that you've accomplished. You're a real marathoner now, Bill -- and don't forget it! Congratulations to you on all 26.2 miles of your effort, not to mention the 100s of miles of training and prep.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I don't think I can add anymore to what everyone has already said. You will get you BQ next time - this day was not your day. On the bright side you did get to meet lots of Kewl people!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Adding my voice to the chorus--give us more details and all the very talented thinkers here might be able to help you see what happened. And you know we are not letting you toss in that towel, no no no. grins (remember what tet said!) A.
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      breger, I'm sorry you didn't get the race you wanted, but it was still darn good. Congratulations and get the one you want next time. TomS
                        Breger, Still a great race...even though not the one you wanted. The next one will be better. Will look forward to you full report (remember the fines). Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

TammyinGP

oh sure y'all . . . blame it on the wimmin! Roll eyes I saw Bill at the start (we started out about the same pace group) but then he left me in the dust after that. I did get to watch him coming down the finishing shoot though (and he was looking pretty strong too!), with the lovely Mrs. Bill who paced him in. What an endearing couple they are! I even saw Mrs.Bill cheering along the course around mile 8 or 9? it's all such a blur now Black eye And tet - he got LOTS of hugs this weekend Wink

Tammy

I think your problem was you never got a hug from me Wink Well it was still inspiring to me to meet you, coming all the way from Florida. Sorry I didn't get over to your table to talk more. I know how it feels to want to give up on this marathon thing, but your training indicates a BQ is there somewhere, everything just has to click on the right day. It is up to you to decide how badly you want it. (advice from a non-expert!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

I've seen a person I had been running with finish on a ambulance gurney. Finishing is an amazing thing. Sweet!!!! Regroup and reconfigure.

SteveP

PJH

Bill - sorry to read about your tough marathon. I've been following your training and was very impressed, often saying to myself "how does he do it?". I think SR summarized it best ... something to the effect that some days you have it and some days you don't. My recent Boston experience was like that ... how do you go from a 3:46 qualifying time to 4:29 marathon time ... it just wasn't my day (although I think I've figured out what went wrong). You'll have that great marathon and BQ ... just be patient and keep at it. You're one strong runner. PJ