Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 11.3.13 (Read 49 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

CONGRATS to Holly for getting Moab done! Sorry about the knees - I hope the lasting effects are minimal, and that they don't detract from the glow from what you've accomplished!

WTG with the 3 steps, TW! Makes me think of the song: "Give me 3 steps..." Was that Allman Bros or ??

Wildchild, I'm sorry about the jack-knifed truck delay. I'm also stuck on the image of you cooking spaghetti on a camp stove in the hotel parking lot, and I love it. "Only" 4th in your AG at Moab? Ha! Congrats on a great run, regardless of just missing a jump onto the podium.

Nice goals, Dave. I wish you success with them.

Nice waterside 13-miler, Tramps. Glad you are enjoying the fowl as they fly through.

I hope you do/did well in Manchester today, CNY. I'm very sorry about the kiddo's diagnosis, but am glad that he is not letting it stop him from running, especially in his last HS X-C meet. My best wishes to him and you as time goes by.

Congrats on the 5K AG hardware, Pfriese!

Best of luck to you too, Deeze. I hope the Manchester relay is/was a blast! I'm glad you got to meet Lamerunner at the Expo.

Enjoy the creative juices, Mariposai.

Nice 8er yesterday, Tselbes.

It must be a great relief to get some answers, Divechief. The unknown can be fearful, simply by being unknown. I hope the current plan is successful.

IBUB - very nice run in Indianapolis, Mr. Maniac!

8 on a dreadmill - must have been greta music, Enke! So, Door #5 opens and closes... Next!

MS - gotta watch those moving trees! Funny observations at the ER. I hope the damage is all short-term and minimal. Baking should be a lot safer...

I hope Lamerunner's Manchester races are successful and wonderful for all participants today. Nice that DS/DH showed up in time for some heavy lifting yesterday, even if DW ate most of your cookie.

Evanflein - it's pretty early to have to be thinking of ice underfoot. Be careful out there!

Yesterday, I got in a quick 3.2 racewalking miles before I had to head up to Concord (NH) for an all-day conference that started at 8am. Highlight of the day was picking up DW at the airport last night as she returned from her 4-day conference.

10.6 racewalking miles this morning. I woke at 3 - my internal clock doesn't switch from Daylight Saving time all that quickly, so I woke at my 'normal' time. I lollygagged in bed for 45 minutes, then got up and got going. It was 41F, quite breezy, and overcast this morning, so no op. to see the eclipse. All in all, it was a good workout, except that, even with relatively lightweight gloves, my hands never warmed up, and were almost numb by the time I got back home. They eventually warmed up (after I stretched and got in the shower), so life is good again.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//.......well, it's only 3-steps but it took a few years to work up to it......

like the Old Karate Story.......

..........a student

asked Gichen Funakoshi

''How long should I practice kata?''......

'' only until you die'' was the answer

==========

but I digress.......

40-minute 36-degrees bikeride

........I really don't like riding a bike

my hips hurt, cars are coming up behind me, it's colder than the WindChill, and I can't hear the dogs........

but

I REALLY like running on a track,

so

I found a quarter mile strech of parking lot

and rode Around and Around and Around>>>>>>ohboyohboy.......I LOVE IT

....good running guys.................Never Stop Training........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'm with you, Jay: been waking up too early on EDT, so WAY too early with the time switch. Maybe in a week or two I'll readjust to just being plain early!

Holly, sounds like you had a wonderful time in Moab, and what's a trail run if you can't come back with a badge of honor (aka, bruises and abrations)? When I think of how far you've come since you first signed onto CoolRunning, I am hughley impressed.

Karin, so sorry to hear about your son. As someone who also has constant worries for the future welfare of a child, I have an idea of how hard this can be on you and your family.

Well, I had a good run with the club at the monthly gathering, running 6 miles around Stony Creek Lake (my usual winter running venue). It was also a reminder of how long it takes me to get warmed up on a cold day, with major negative splits: 1st mile at 11+, 3-mile mark at about 9:17, and the 6th mile at 8:40 (still not sure where that came from!) for an overall 9:40.

How did the rest of you do today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

No running today-made my R knee more painful while running on the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday. Will spectate today and watch Marj conquer the NYC Marathon. Go Marj Go!

pfriese

13.3 miles with running club this morning. Tired legs and a brutal wind on the return made for a slow pace.

Go Marj go!

Paul

C-R

Nice runs jay and Roch.

Tom = time trial pursuit velodrome rider.

Go get 'em Marj.

Nice easy 7 to start. Will be shooting some model rockets with the boys and ease into a Sunday.

Cheers.

Well don on Moab.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Go Marj goooooooooooo!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

ibleed, congrats on a nice marathon and maniac status.  MS, sorry to hear about your son's knee mishap.  Holly and wild, good job at Moab.

Nice long runs for Tramps, Jay, and pfriese.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a light wind.  I got in 3 miles at something less than a 10:50 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Tsebls, I hope you have a great day as well!

Rochrunner,way to go with those splits. I am with you about taking for ever to warm up.

After a relaxing, "Me" time morning the Easy Pacer and I decided to go out for our clinic run. 4 miles today for a total of 50 miles for the week.

Now it is time to put away the summer clothes Cry and replace them with winter clothes. We got our first snow in the near by hills. We should get snow in the valley any time now.

Ohh Divechief and Enkephalin, do you remember fjordrunner from CoolRunning? She lives in Winthrop and I invited her and her husband to join us for Sunday dinner next week. She is really looking forward to the dinner.

Go Marj go!!!

I can't wait to see the pictures and  hear the Moab stories.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks for all the hugs and kind words about the kiddo, folks. We’ve had more than a year to process the news and have a great team of medical folks to help. There’s also so much research going on in genetic diseases like this, so we are optimistic that the kiddo will have better treatment options when he is older and the CMT is supposed to set in more significantly.

Lots of weekend adventures here and lots of miles covered and powered by running, walking, swimming and more. We all rock!

The kiddo did really well in his xc race even if he didn’t get the exact time he wanted. It was the fastest for him on this particular course. Our boys team was down several runners due to SATs, mono, and tendonitis…..here’s hoping next week is better since it’s the Western Mass champs. The kiddo will join us behind the camera filming his mates.

The Manchester marathon was a blast. Lamerunner took away a huge chunk of anxiety for me and my teammates since she picked up our numbers and shirts (excellent goodie bags----you can tell this race is put on by runners and for runners…brava!). I checked into the hotel and there were the bibs and a note from Lamerunner and all set. THANK YOU! She and her race committee do a tremendous job and this is a super marathon and excellent alternative if you don’t want the packed streets of NYC----fast field since it was a Grand Prix race, very challenging but awesome course and terrific volunteers. Our merry band of three (only needed three to score) did well with me over the line first for us in 3:26 and change (I didn’t stay to look at results and they aren’t up yet) and then my other 49 year-old teammate just behind as she closed hard. The 29 year-old who is usually around 3:18 had some calf issues but rallied and was in at 3:28 and change. A great day even with flurries in the air at the start. The sun came out at the finish, Lamerunner greeted me right at the finish line after Kathrine Switzer announced all the finisher names (she was there the whole weekend—rockstar!) and I also met Lamerunner’s cute (and towering over his mom) son. We pushed the middle miles and ran at 3:20 pace for a long while---until about 21 miles. The last hills took all the go juice out of my legs and the wind was a bit of a soul crusher, but you pump your arms, lean in and do your best. Missed seeing Deez4boys though...Phooey!

Congrats especially to the Moab runners…..yowsa! Just saw THAT course profile. Props to you and Holly, I hope the knees will be better soon.

And Tet, ultra Amy was also busy this weekend with another 50-mile win at the Mountain Masochist 50 in VA.

C-R

Nice race Karin and love the attitude you and your son have. That's a fighting spirit.

I watched the NYC marathon on the tele today and wow what a race. The gal that won, just blasted the last half. Amazing racing. Kids watched with me and they got jazzed too. So the son and I ran a nice 6.3 this evening at a good a clip.

Oh and here is the result of the rocket launching.

We also managed to rescue a couple out of trees. Great time.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

That Marj, she is a rock star!!!!! Congrats on finishing, with a very respectable time the NYC marathon!

Maniac 505

((CNY and kiddo))

MS I hope the kids knee heels quick..

Holly  I hope your knees are doing OK.

Mari,  of course I remember Fjordrunner.  Looking forward to it.

Enke  9 months with inner ear issues  I can't imagine. I should have guessed it was an inner ear issue,  I diagnosed that with my father.   on rare occasions a scuba divers ears will not equalize evenly and they might get some vertigo and disorientation in the water.  As a divemaster  that is one of the things we are made aware of.  However when I saw how high my BP was I assumed that was the cause,  not the effect.

I'm doing much better,  inner ear thing is almost back to normal and my BP is almost where we want it to be.

lamerunner

Good evening.  I am still alive.. barely. In an odd twist of fate that probably only race organizers could appreciate, we got locked out of our storage unit and thus could not unload the trucks. So I got home earlier than usual... I feel badly for the members of our  Board who are retired from "regular" jobs and most likely  will have to do the unloading  tomorrow, but not broken- hearted to get  home earlier. I am beat.  And as treasurer, my job has not ended; I have to send out the tax  forms, hear the excuses from people,and get out the prize checks and pay the remaining bills.  No lie, last year I got all caps emails from a masters award winner  training in Morocco, wanting to know where her money was. Written like a ransom note. She was a foreign national and no way in he#$ was she getting even a modest check without the tax form, which she had not sent me,  Her  prize was $200; she was not going to retire on it..

It was a great day today  though.  I got up at 4:15, ran  a tired 4 miles  then headed to  man last minute number pickup, then jumped in the lead police car, then did water, troubleshooting etc at the finish. and watched the clock so as to try to greet my friends. I saw Karin finishing strong (but does DS really tower ?? we have a debate almost daily about who is taller.....). It was great to see her. I also had a nice chat with Deez this morning and also after the race. I think her relay team did pretty well.

Lead marathoner was almost a mile ahead of the next runners by late in the race; winner did 2:21 or so. New women's record at 2:50.

Things went mostly smoothly; there are always lessons learned and we keep a running list. I don't know how many racers these days are run by all-volunteer boards, but I am happy and proud  to be part of this one.

Great running again Karin and all NYC runners too. I hope Holly's knees are ok.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sounds like a great day for those running in races and those running them.

Good thoughts and wishes to Karin and kiddo.

Dive--glad to hear that the BP had a reason and it's almost back under control.  Was wondering about the rapid onset, as BP usually creeps up.

Nice long walk, Jay.  And nice windy half for Paul.

TW--hope that doesn't make you dizzy.

Up in Maine for the last time this year.  Got a semi long run in this morning before the final pieces of closing up.  Forecast said that there could be flurries early this morning, so was wondering how the shorts that I had would feel.  But I slept in late enough even with the extra hour, and don't know if they ever showed up.  6.8 miles in just about the same pace I'm hoping for next weekend's half Mary.  Long sleeves, hat and gloves were perfect.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.