Masters Running

Thursday, 4.21.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Aamos' blog post about Boston is wonderful, and is as inspirational as OM's race report. A good reminder that, in addition to being fortunate enough to have wonderful people and amazing runners on this forum, we also have some very insightful and talented writers.

We decided it would be great to have a drone-shot video of our half marathon in November, but we'd rather someone who knows what they are doing (and has the right equipment) do the job and deal with whatever potential liability issues there are. I found a few firms around here who do drone photography/videos, so I'm starting to talk to them to find out what the deal would be. With our course that goes by salt marsh, along the rugged NH coast, and through a charming small town, we think a video that features all that with the race in progress could be pretty cool.

When I left the house this morning, my ankle was very, very cranky. I figured, depending on how it shook out, I'd walk a mile or so and turn around for a very easy walk back home, or it would loosen up and I'd put in a few more miles. Fortunately, whatever the problem was faded away after about half a mile, so I got into racewalking mode and kept going. 6.8 easy RW miles this morning in 36F temps, and with a big fool moon higher in the sky than yesterday, and looking over my shoulder until I gradually turned around and could enjoy the beautiful face of that moon on my way back home. I, once again, focused on rhythmic, alternate-side breathing (using "Left" "Right" "Left" "Right" as my mantra this morning). It'll take at least a few more days before I can breath like that without having to think about it. My ankle was fine when I got home, but I decided to wear a soft ankle brace today just to give it a little more stability.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...Keep on Breathin' jay//.......it probably Builds Character

and.....w0w.........that is one Well Written blog Aamos.......

=============

trying to get to the pool before the ThunderBoomers get here

then

off to Knoxville to be the ''Mystery Reader'' for Claire's 2nd grade class.

should be a hit,

everytime the story has a little girl, I read her name as ''Claire''

does it get any better??

I think not.

.....................good running to ya.....

...............still trying to grow skin on my feet before the week of hiking in Idahoe,

it's Good to have a Hobby

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Aamos - you are one brilliant, talented (in many ways) and blessed woman.  Thanks for sharing your writing!

Jay, I agree, that would be cool to see larger aerial shots of the beautiful landscape as the runners make their way through the course.

For some reason, which I couldn't figure out, I had a hard time getting to sleep last night.  So no run this morning as I was wiped out and needed the extra hour.  Lots of errands to do tonight before I leave for San Francisco tomorrow.  It should be a short, but fun weekend.  I will probably run Sunday in Oakland and maybe even tomorrow morning before my flight.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Aamos, I enjoyed reading your blog.  Reference the breathing discussion.  I've never given how I breathe much thought other than I'd better keep doing it.  I just do what comes naturally.  When I run easily, I gasp and pant.  When I push myself, I gasp and pant faster and harder.

This morning, it was about 50° and almost calm.  The weather forecast was for rain overnight and all day today.  I was resigned to running and walking on the TM.  However, when I got ready, it wasn't raining.  I went out with the idea of not getting very far from home.  I ran a mile in 10:16 and them walked 3 miles at a 13:17 pace.  Just as I finished and started to walk up the driveway, it started to sprinkle.  Some days, things work out well.

A good da and good runs for all.

TomS

ok,

40-min PoolRun, no belt, closed fists, run in shallows

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

off to Knoxville to be the ''Mystery Reader'' for Claire's 2nd grade class.

should be a hit,

everytime the story has a little girl, I read her name as ''Claire''

does it get any better??

I think not.

What a great idea for "mystery readers." <<<(envious/encious)>>>>

However, be careful if you let her read part of her bedtime story
              tonight and your name becomes the main character.
              hint: don’t choose “Humpty-Dumpty”
              Enkie - have a frisky frisco.
              Jay - fantastic idea for real life images instead of dots on a phony map.
              Too bad you couldn’t have done it in rosie ruiz days, . .or, I guess,.
              2-cat's famed Beach team could have been named for jacqueline gareau.

REUNION - it’s been 20 years my last one in 1996 but dinner tonight with my two best friends from those days who are in town for our 55th HS reunion weekend.  Fortunately, no names who did it were printed but our window decorations on downtown stores on October 31, 1956 made “Elvis Leads the Soap Parade” the lead headline in the next day’s newspaper.
              . . . Trivia no 1 - how many songs did Elvis have in the top 100 in 1955?
              . . . Trivia no 2 - how many of the top 15 songs in 1956 were Elvis songs?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Trivia no 1 - 0
                Trivia no 2 - 5
                . . . 01. Heartbreak Hotel
                . . . 02. Don't Be Cruel
                . . . 08. Hound Dog
                . . . 14. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
                . . . 15. Love Me Tender
                http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=1956

listening to the moving tributes on NPR’s on-going coverage of Prince's passing,

we were lucky to grow up with so many songs too that we can still hum and sing.

Well, we’ll see about that this weekend. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

My favorite of his "Little Red Corvette." 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=little%20red%20corvette

At least the early reports are that it was natural causes. Poor guy. So young.

I am down in Lexington as I type this. A pair of uneventful flights. As usual, I intended to get work done on them. Fell asleep for most of the second flight insead.  Now to make up for the lost time at the hotel prior to this evening's conference reception. Then it will be off to find a restaurant with a good bourbon selection!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I've never given how I breathe much thought other than I'd better keep doing it.  I just do what comes naturally.  When I run easily, I gasp and pant.  When I push myself, I gasp and pant faster and harder. 

This morning, it was about 50° and almost calm.  The weather forecast was for rain overnight and all day today.  I was resigned to running and walking on the TM.  However, when I got ready, it wasn't raining.  I went out with the idea of not getting very far from home.  I ran a mile in 10:16 and them walked 3 miles at a 13:17 pace.  Just as I finished and started to walk up the driveway, it started to sprinkle.  Some days, things work out well.

Tom -  Are you a member of TwoCat's no running in the rain club? Glad that worked out for you. I see that tomwhite even tries to get to the pool before it rains.

Enke - have a great trip to SF with MBE

SloHand - How are you doing? Did that pain go away? Green Bay is 4 weeks from Sunday!

tet - that is awesome that you can have a reunion with your two best friends after 55 years! I am guessing it will be a long night of reminiscing. Are you going to the HS reunion too?  Elvis was a bit before my time, but I love the songs.  I didn't know the trivia.

I am off work in a few minutes. I should have time to run the lake, shower, make supper and get to orchestra practice on time.  I will practice my 3-2 breathing. The other day I forgot my I-pod so used the breathing technique to keep me focused. It was one of those windy days.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Ran 4.2 miles yesterday and no IT pain. Of course, a 4 mile run is a long ways from a 30K that I'm running in less than 48 hrs. <sigh>

I went to my sports chiro today and he did some painful deep tissue work but had good results. I'll run a few miles today after work and then have an appt tomorrow afternoon to get my quads/IT band taped. I'm hoping I can do the entire 30k on Saturday morning and I think I'll do a run/walk  - like run 4-5 miles, walk 5 min or so, repeat. Hoping that maybe some regular walk breaks will keep the IT band looser. at least in theory that's what it'll do. 

i'm pretty much in shock over the passing of Prince. His was the music I grew with. Highschool/college and being in Mpls - well, that was what was hot and he was a hometown musical genius, so if you liked his style of music (which I did and still do), it was just part of the fabric of your life.

Tammy

I am down in Lexington as I type this. A pair of uneventful flights. As usual, I intended to get work done on them. Fell asleep for most of the second flight insead.  Now to make up for the lost time at the hotel prior to this evening's conference reception. Then it will be off to find a restaurant with a good bourbon selection!

..twocat//..I went to school in Lexington,

if you DON'T let them take pictures,

have

your Native Guide take you to

''The Boom-Boom Room''

and

''The Camelot''..........which is over by the Drugstore I interned in

ps

if Pickles hears about this, tell her Tet hijacked my account

Aamos your blog post really was profound - I was crying!!

Enke - have a fun weekend!!

Jay - glad the ankle wasn't too cranky

TomW - nice pool running

TomS - great run/walk before the sprinkles - Twocat must be proud!

Starr - way to squeeze it all in

Tammy - hope Saturday goes well!!

So sad about Prince and given my recent experience with the flu it makes me wonder if he wasn't treated properly or completely

My Thursday morning friends were up for hills and trails again - 6.1 miles - I think they are trying to do me in!! LOL

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

When I was 16 I saw Prince in concert with Time and Vanity Six on their Purple Rain tour.  It still stands as one of the best concerts I have been to, with dancing and costume changes and a great light show - quite an extravaganza, not like the shows where the musicians just stand at the mike and sing (although those can be nice, too).  I didn't realize then that he was only 22 at the time.

6.1 miles for me today in 60 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

A pair of uneventful flights.

There is no such thing.

I'll be honest--I've never really cared for Prince.  My oldest daughter had a poster of him in her room that I couldn't stand to look at.  But from everything I have ever heard about him, he was very nice guy.  Deeze--I thought about your son's experience, too.  57 years old...he was only a couple months older than me.

Well, after stopping by the middle school track meet to watch my granddaughter anchor the winning team in the 4x100, I came home and ran 16 miles...in the rain...under purplish looking skies...and yes, I had that dang song stuck in my head the whole way...and I only know that one line.  Over and over and over and over...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

That'll drive you nuts, eh Mike?

I always liked Prince. Outstanding musician. I don't know if he did all of them, but most of his recordings, he did all of it himself. All the instrumental tracks, the drums, the vocals. Truly incredible. He was way too young, and yes I thought of Deez's son when I heard he'd had the flu.

So I've been struggling with my schedule for these upcoming marathons. I wanted to do three 20 mile runs on alternate Sundays with the last one on May 8, two weeks out from Green Bay. That's my usual schedule, and as late as mid-March I was going along not really thinking too much about it. But then I got out the calendar to schedule these runs, and damn if it isn't just one thing after another! Second long run is this Sunday. Oops, I'll be in San Antonio for a conference. But I get in Saturday night (after flying all day Saturday) and I really don't want to get up to run long in an unfamiliar place in unfamiliar heat (and probably humidity). So, I thought well I can do it Friday after work, just leave mid-afternoon and get it done. Crap, I have a health care committee meeting that goes until 4, and there's always followup and I'll have to stick around for that because I leave that night. So... still thinking do it Friday, just be done by 8 pm. Today's run was good till last half mile when some ankle pain hit suddenly. It feels better now, but really don't think I should stress it with 20 miles tomorrow afternoon. So.... back to Sunday in TX. DH agrees we can make this work, then I check the weather forecast and wouldn't you know it.... Sunday morning is thunderstorms! Great! So, we'll see what happens.

Then (the saga continues) the last 20 miler is May 8. Hey, that's Mother's Day! And my DS1's commencement! No way am I putting him through college and then miss that! So... do it Saturday? Nope, that's our first 5k of the series and I want to do well in that. So that kills Friday, too. Do the 5k, and then finish the 20? Yeah, right. Not gonna happen. I can see a crash coming with that plan. So, I guess I'll get up early and crank out my 20, get cleaned up and off to DS1's commencement by a little after noon. I can do that, right?  <says the oh-so-not-a-morning-runner>

Ok, whiney rant off. Just had to vent about that.

5.2 miles tonight, in 25 mph winds and with a cranky ankle the last half mile.