Masters Running

2's-Day, April 8 Boomer Runs (Read 649 times)

evanflein

Checking in from the hotel in San Antonio.... got in around midnight last night, got to bed around 2 am, had visions of getting up early for my four miles on the TM.... and woke up late at 8:20!! The clock was turned around, so it was thinking it was 8:20 PM! argh! I hate that. Should've arranged for a wake up call! Oh well, at this point that 4 miler was nothing, it was more important that I get those extra couple hours of sleep. More than 9 hours on a plane yesterday, lost three timezones.... I'm still not sure what time it is!! Yeah Mary on the marathon decision! That is big news! Holly, I was looking forward to running outside in shorts and heat... there will be no time to run today though. Glad to see you cranking out some good miles! Sounds like lots of sproinky runs today, I'll try not to be too jealous. (ok, missing this run is gonna piss me off... first scheduled run I've missed in ages) Must be all the ice cream talk yesterday!
      My flight to Nevada wasn't as hard as evanflein's -- only 5 hours and I gained 3 time zones. So I was able to set the alarm and get up for my 4 miler. That's cool, Mary -- you'll always remember your first marathon. 4.1 recovery miles at about 9min/mi or so, AHR 135.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

7 miles with 2x2mp. The legs and lungs are feeling pretty good today. I just hope that marathon day feels that way also. My marathon is going to be in Wenatchee, the apple capital of the world, the trees should be in full bloom by then which could create a problem with the asthma. I just have to wait and see, I guess. Mary, great news about your fall marathon, best wishes in your journey to get there. good trip teresadfp, those travel weeks are hard for training, but you have a good start with your 10 miler today. Nice intervals there tall and cool avatar picture. Holly, you too can run up any hill-if you run as slow as I do Tongue. Great run today girl.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

2 classes down, 8 miles so far today. At 39 laps to a mile I may get dizzy before the day is through but I am hoping to keep my legs moving for every class.

Marathon Maniac #957

2 classes down, 8 miles so far today. At 39 laps to a mile I may get dizzy before the day is through but I am hoping to keep my legs moving for every class.
            Won't that make 20 miles today, plus cycing to and from work? Yikes! Don't hurt yourself, my fren...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Way to take the plunge Mary! Good luck to you in your training. You always keep pretty fit so you should have a good experience. Speaking of upcoming marathons, I see mariposai is gunning up steep hills and doing MP workouts. Glad I don't have to train with you. Nice to see you Craneium. Think you'll get enough exercise today? Teresa, we're getting some weather down here. Hope your travel plans are not affected by it. Twocat, you posted about visiting folks at the start at Boston. You know the Pro from Dover don't you? He lives about a mile from the start. In '04 he and some others stopped by to say hello on race day morning out at the athlete's compound. I'm sure he could tell you an easy way to get in there, park, and get out again. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch. The Saint has an 11-miler tomorrow, so today she wanted to jog a mile and walk two. I jogged 3.3 in 30 minutes on the dirt track with her and had no discomfort. Just finished icing. Opening day at The Ballpark in Arlington and I was going to go, but found out yesterday afternoon I have to work most of the day on a training design document. Will catch it on TV during breaks I guess. Spareribs
              wildchild

Carolyn

Yikes - what are you running around? A classroom??? It's great that you're running with the kids - you're a good role model.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Haven't gotten out yet but had to wave to Mary, YAY! I've seen a shirt at some marathons that reads "16 weeks ago, this seemed like a good idea!" I'm sure you'll still think so when October rolls around. And to do an international marathon for your first is too Cool. And Sue, my brother used to fish for steelheads (I grew up in Detroit). So sproinky is a good thing Confused later, A
                  Masters 2000 miles
                    Good news on the signing up for that first Marathon Mary.......you have something to shoot for that gives your runs new meaning. I have been following your distances and times and you will do just fine. That was a fun basketball championship last night. The ladies go at it tonight in another interesting match. I have to pass along this one: A little girl asked her father, 'How did the human race appear?' The father answered, 'God made Adam and Eve and they had children and so was all mankind made.' Two days later the girl asked her mother the same question. The mother answered, 'Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved.' The confused girl returned to her father and said, 'Dad, how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God, and Mom said they developed from monkeys?' The father answered, 'Well, dear, it is very simple. I told you about my side of the family and your mother told you about hers.'
                    Vista
                      Yes, Sproinky is good! Mary - you are tough, doing 300 crunches, a marathon will be a piece of cake! Just ramp up slowly and I see you have a lot of time to prepare. You GO girl! I did 9 miles on the TM last night. Creepypants was there in the back, but I don't think he saw me, it was very crowded. The run was actually somewhat enjoyable as I watched the NCAA game for the first 7 miles. I almost fell off the TM during the overtime! I love BB. I played in HS. I wish I could still play but I tore (not complete) my quadriceps tendon a couple years ago from all that jumping and sudden direction changing. Happy Chewsday runs everyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

In celebration of my 24th Anniversary yesterday .... A man arrived home to find his wife standing in the doorstep with a sexy nightgown on and a gleam in her eye. She said to him "Tie me up, and you can do whatever you want ..." So the man tied her up and went golfing. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Speaking of upcoming marathons, I see mariposai is gunning up steep hills and doing MP workouts. Glad I don't have to train with you. Spareribs
                          And I am sad Cry that I don't have the priviledge of training with you since YOU, my dear, may help me to run faster than my slow poke mode. Tongue Smile SmileHAPPY 24TH ANNIVERSARY to Breger and Mrs Breger. Smile Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

For a nostalgic look at the 60's..... http://cruzintheavenue.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm
                            Vista

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Runners, Some great runs today! Mary: Good luck on your first marathon. I know you will do just fine. Carneium: My father had a business partner in Boston who in the winter would run around his basement. It was 50 laps to the mile. He ran about 10 miles a day during the week, and a 20 miler on the weekends! Now that would make you dizzy, or leave you feeling like a gerbil! Usual weather here this morning, 54 and sunny. I did 4 miles in 37:00 9:15 pace. Last week of easy running. Next week I get back to intervals and tempo runs. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Yes, Sproinky is good! Happy Chewsday runs everyone!
                                Thanks! Say Craneium--I know of a marathon for you--the Zoom! Yah! Yah! in MInnesota--150 laps around a track. You're looking good for it! Still haven't gotten out yet... grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles