Masters Running

Saturday, May 10th Daily Running Thread (Read 478 times)

btb1490

Things are looking up, here at work. I posted a couple of months ago about how my legs got a comment at the gym... from an 80 year old man. Roll eyes Along those line, I just got a call from a couple who invited me to a party. It has a Rocky Horror theme to it. They said they thought of me because they wanted to see me in fishnet stockings.... Tongue Roll eyes Roll eyes
      I'm more of a Riff Raff kind of guy Big grin
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

I Can Go The Distance

6 miles easy for me today. It was a perfect morning for running 60F and overcast. At my easy pace I felt like I could run for hours! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

wildchild

Carolyn

Young brains, old bodies. 3.5 easy miles in crisp, cool, rain cleansed air. All systems seem to be a go.
          The "young brains, old bodies" reminds me of a thread I started back on CoolRunning. The subject was "how old do you feel inside?" My point was that most of us feel younger than we are, at least by 10-20 years, even though our bodies get older and slow down. I was wondering if it's always 10-20 years younger, or if you stay perpetually at a certain point (like 30 years old) even when you're 80. Someone came back with a great response - "I always feel older when I'm inside than when I'm outside." Big grin I think it might have been Ileneforward? Anyway, btb, that's great that you ran 3.5 miles! I'm so happy for you! Today might be a day off for me - it snowed last night, and there have been flurries off and on all morning. There's probably 3 inches of wet snow on the ground. Oh, well, it's supposed to warm up to 50 tomorrow, and DD is taking me on a hike for mother's day. We're going to a trail down at the base of the canyon, where it should be warmer and snow-free.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I don't know, Bob. But that sounds like one party invitation I might turn down. We have a big day ahead of us. Crawfish boil at Spare Tire's house, piano recital for Riblet, and an art exhibition by Prime Rib's former art teacher where we will represent him. So one event for each of the boys. 3.3 easy today on the dirt track, although the humidity didn't make it seem easy. Very sluggish in fact. But it got me my first 30 mile week and it was my first workout with no ibuprofen and no discomfort. Tomorrow is my first 11-miler. This is going so slowly but so well. I could pinch myself. In 5 weeks I will be in the 40-40 club! You know, when we all evaluate "Why do I run?", we each have a different objective. For some it's all around health, for others it's weight loss. For me it's very simple: I love to race! I miss racing more than anything else. So while I am building mileage, and without doing something stupid (remember that phrase), I will run some distance races this year and treat them as my long runs. At the end of May is a local half marathon that coincides with my first 13-miler, so I will plan to do that at around 9's, much slower than I would normally do a half, but it will be fun to be with my racing friends whom I have not seen in ages. The only thing that can go wrong is if I lose my head because someone makes me mad, like trying to pass me. Spareribs
            evanflein

Sorry about the snow, Carolyn... 48 and sunny here, I'm thinking my breakfast has settled and it's time to get out for a run. Btb, my friend and I used to go to the Rocky Horror Picture show all the time. We had the soundtrack and memorized the whole thing. Did all the stupid stuff like throw toilet paper at the screen ("Great Scott!") and warn the characters what was coming next... Ah, to be young and goofy again. Now I'm just old and goofy. My friend and I had a wonderful time last night... DS1 went to the movies and DS2 stayed here with us (much to his dismay) but we had a great time teasing each other and listening to what he calls music on his iPod. Scary stuff, some of it. A lot of laughs, it's been ages since I've seen her. And she brought the most wonderful company... Such a sweet baby, so interested in everything that was going on. She's gone now though, so now it's clean up the house a bit more, laundry, dishes, soccer game at noon, soccer raffle ticket sales booth from 3-5, soccer practice for DS2 at 5... DH home at 7:30. Guess if I'm going to run today I'd better do it now!!
              busiman

Running out of mistakes!

quick post...short speed run for me. One mi warm up then 5 @ 6:40 pace. My adductor was sore from yesterday, so I'm glad it was a short one today. Enjoy your day boomers!
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

3 easy miles with my running partner this morning - 50 degrees and sunny. Getting ready for our 5k race tomorrow. I'm going to try to run hard! After our run, we went clothes shopping. What fun! I'm officially a size 8 now (was a 14 or 16), and even bought one sundress that's a 6. I posted these on the main board, but I thought I would post them for the masters: Before (November 2006) - 180 pounds or so After (May 2008) - 145 pounds
                  dg.

TW, thanks! I never liked the leg on a step stretch. how much swivel? nice how 'art' makes the spirits soar, isn't it? PJ good luck with your 10K tomorrow. Btb, 3.5 Big grin. "Young brains, old bodies." I'm going to have to have a talk with both of them. Wink // see!! all your hard work is worth it. Roll eyes Undecided Holly, phew. I hope things go smoothly today. I'm glad you have a river to run with. Linda, I'm so happy to see you here! I think. sometimes I omit certain details 'over there'.... thanks. you are, as always, wise. get better. SR, congratulations on your 30 mile week. we will remember "without doing something stupid ". Erika, what a cutie. Teresa, congratulations! assorted talk about mothers.. i'm another in the white carnation crowd. I was thinking about her today, and I feel impelled to post in her honor that they do not come any sweeter or dearer than mine. mta. where's evryday?
                      vista, i enjoyed your saturday thread - just as i was about to head for bed after my "work night"; i'm paying for days lost to jet lag now, and working the weekend again. but, started the morning with DH and pelle the BC, 5 miles nice and easy, and very pleased with my LHR - avg HR 117, max 133, pace 15 min/mile on hills. that was impossible in the past and i'm glad my condition hasn't worsened er... worse than thatSmile btb, you asked where in ny the folks live - in the house where i was born in richmond hill, queens. we try to get back there twice a year. erika, that is onoe cute baby - i'm starting to have those "hmm, what's it like to be a grandma" moments, but have to get through two weddings first - fjorddaughter at the end of next month, and DS2 in a year. teresa, you look great! unfortunately my time off running has moved me in the wrong direction. back on the wagon again for me... or on the asphalt. good runs, susan
                      Mariposai

Much to read around here, but I am running out of time right now. Just stopping by to say that I ran myself a 3k PR this morning at a local race up north from me. Did it in 24:14, over a 4 minute PR. Third female overall and second in age group. Mighty happy around here Cool. Thanks for your support about my job interview yesterday. The inquisition lasted over 2 hours, yeah... you read that right.. over 120 minutes Black eye. I feel good about the overall outcome of the interview and will find out next week about the results. Off now to get my mother's day massage.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg - heart problems last year?? btb, I had to scroll down fast, that was downright scary. Btw, I'll be around most of July, there are lots of others that are in the area too. teresa - loved the photos! I peaked at 162 lbs around Christmas time 2 1/2 years ago. At the time I thought if I lost 10 pounds that would be good enough. I've dipped to as low as 132 recently, and feel about 20 years younger. Not bad for 5'9". rindaroo - thanks! and good to see you here. I went out for 6 technekkid miles, but it felt too effortful, so I decided on 3 instead, but my knee started to hurt after just 1.5 miles. Kinda a tendon thing on the inside of the knee. I've had this before I think and (i think) just a few days rest got rid of it. So I did 30 min on the bike and that felt great. So no running for me on Mother's Day, just shopping! I love Saturdays

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...evan//.........what a Cutie........... ..........teresa//..........WOW........great job ======= ........ps.....dg//......when you try it, do a LOT of Swivel, you want to FEEL the back leg straight for the PushOff, after you got that, minimize it til you have the Feel but with less swivelling....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Afternoon and Happy Saturday!! We are back to grey sky in my corner of the PNW, still, pleasant running weather. I managed to sneak in 4.26 miles in 36 minutes before going to work, yes, I work every Sat and Sun and Mon...and so on....that's called having your own business!!! Holly, the image is the town where I was born, Cremona, in Northen Italy. Some people might have heard of it because of our most famous citizen and violin maker" Stradivari". btb, my quick leg ,sharp tongue DD is my oldest...I hope I can survive 2 more (sons!)...endurance training should help!! Good runs and races to everyboby! Francesca
                                Quick post--off to get a glimpse of Bill. When I was a kid in Detroitin the '60s, whenever African Americans would be on TV, my friends of color would pass the word around as "colored people on TV!" --it didn't happen very often, then. Now that I live in South Dakota, we've adapted that to "famous people in South Dakota!" --again, it doesn't happen very often. So, since our primary's June 3, BIll's making a stop at one of the high schools in town this afternoon. I figure I'll lug my Little Rock finisher's medal over and see if he'll sign it (if I stick some paper on the back.) Teresa, those are impressive photos! Wow, you worked hard! You look fantastic!!! I LOVE Rocky Horror--it was a weekly event in Boston when I was in college, to go see it! My drawer at work is full of most interesting things. I'll have to write about it some day. O, 9 miles in 1:18--it is cold (35) and we had snow flurries today. And the Sox lost in the botoom of the ninth with 2 outs Dead. But there's another game in a few hours. Bill better not go long or i"m out of there--priorities! grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles