Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.2.14 (Read 38 times)

Love that people are getting together in VT.

Love that Ribs is running and doing core work again.

Love how well this community supports one another.

I haven't run in two weeks due to a patellar tendon injury.  About to try it out for the first time. I can go up and down stairs pain free now and can even control my decent, but I'm still nervous about it. Will update later.

SubDood

I know how disappointing it is to have a marathon cancelled (never happened to me, but I've been in some that were shortened due to weather, and missed one due to plane issues) but I have every sympathy for the RD trying to put runner safety first.  I think Minnesota also has a high incidence rate of lightening strikes (I lived there for a few years).

+1.   The race director was in a tough position, and cancelling was probably the correct decision given the information they had at the time. I heard that Grandma's Marathon extended their entry deadline until midnight tonight for those affected by the cancellation of the Minneapolis Marathon. I may instead opt to run some shorter races during what would've been my recovery period.

In the past 14 months, I've had a marathon cancelled due to weather, a half marathon where a course volunteer on a bike led runners a half mile the wrong way, and a 5K interrupted by a train crossing for about 2 minutes.

Marathon Maniac #957

A relay team would be awesome!  No, there is no thread started for that...yet.

I agree!  But sign up soon, the race is filling up fast.

Love that Annabelle!

Subdood - yikes!  But I think it was the right decision to give the train the right-of-way.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Subdood - yikes!  But I think it was the right decision to give the train the right-of-way.

Now I'm LOL at my desk.   Really wishing I could join y'all in VT.  Sounds grand!  And so happy you're going, Holly!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

{{{{ cranium }}}}}

anybody else notice we're dropping like Flies around here?????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Just a real quick post to echo MikeE's sentiment about stop getting hurt! Goodness, there's a lot of niggles and ouches out there. Twocat, Enke, Cranium, Dave, etc and I'm sure I missed some. Glad to hear that Tramps and Kevin (happy 34th!) are getting better. Tramps, I do that yard work before running thing sometimes. Doesn't work out so well.

Pfriese, that's a heckuva history there! I didn't start tracking the first couple years I was running so I don't know and never will. Amazing, no? Now, but to DH's chagrin, I track almost everything....

Nice recovery, Ribs. Good to see you doing so well. I've been enjoying your state lists...

40 lbs of potatoes? Good grief... and another marathon coming up?

Holly forgetting about the 50k... I'd say you're in pretty good shape too to be able to just go do it. I hope you share pictures from dinner with Wildchild and her recent graduate!

Nice trip, Starr. I did that with a car once heading back from CA to ID... started up by Truckee (sp?) I think, and almost coasted for many miles. My little car got over 40 mpg that tank when low 20's was the norm. Sorry about the race, but probably the right thing. Don't ride horses for hours right before a race, ok?

And speaking of AZ... (were we?) yes we're here. And it's so effing hot!! 107 just about every day. Oh wait, it might only get up to 103 one of these days. Good grief. I knocked out 10k on the hotel treadmill Saturday afternoon (got in around 11 a.m.), but Sunday got up oh-so-early (for me) and ran 8.2 miles outside. It was only mid-to-upper 70's so worked out well. I'd wanted to do 10 but just didn't have it in me. So, finished my week with 48 miles. Seemed like enough. Today I didn't get up in time, so hit the treadmill again for another 10k. Will try to get outside again tomorrow morning, but we'll see. How do people tolerate this? Yowza....

Might be offline the rest of the week. Be good and stop hurting yourselves!  Smile

It was tough to go back to work today, and boy was it  busy at the Utility office.  We have to sell trash stickers for the City-wide spring clean-up. It used to all be free once a year, but now they charge for appliances and big furniture.  I was tired after work but did get to the Y for 30 minutes of walking, some weights and 10 laps in the pool.  I am not the greatest swimmer and was intimidated by the audience (for the kids swimming lessons) but decided that really don't care what I look like to people anymore. Getting hurt is forcing me to get to the pool instead of running for the time being. I have a doctor appointment on Thursday, then hope to get a referral to an Orthopedic clinic in Sioux Falls.  I did leg circles in the deep end for a while and it still hurts.

Thanks for the chuckles, Ribs. I think I have read those before, and they are so true.  Construction season started in our backyard today with the landscapers. They were supposed to do it all when we were gone, but I don't know what happened. At least they are here now!

Gotta run, MrStarr gets his 6 month chip at Celebrate Recovery tonight, I am so proud of him!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

It was hot, humid, I was slow and full of trepidation but I ran 2 miles with absolutely no pain. Doesn't appear to be any swelling. Will give myself tomorrow off from running and see what Wednesday brings. Thanks for listening.

Mariposai

Great news about your pain free Craneim.

Starr, great news about your DH. Enjoy the swimming.

SubDood, that is a lot of mishaps in one year.

Erika, enjoy the sun and high temps!

My butterfly wings rested today since it is taper week for me Smile and it is going to be one hot marathon this weekend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

That sounds nice CR

Annabelle's new room looks so cheery.

DW's car had a rear strut assembly break. While picking up the part I ordered at the hardware/auto parts store, the joint got a bit busy. The owner asked if I could lend a hand. It's been 8 years since I've waited on customers.

SteveP