Masters Running

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2016 (Read 38 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

47 degrees

4.5 miles of running around town and college to all the "good luck" places!

Happy New Year!

What are your hopes, wishes, goals?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy New Year!

I have some goals this year related to various getting-a-bit-healthier habits I would like to encourage in myself.  Running-wise, I have signed up again for the women's running group I was part of last year, and my goal is to participate in more races, or just show up even if I can't run.

And I am going to try to smile more this year, encourage more this year, give more this year, laugh more this year.

4.2 slow and gentle miles in 28 (feels like 18) degrees.

Now I am off to take down the Christmas decorations and restore our house to normalcy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Our club out at Lake Grapevine always has an informal run on New Years Day morning, followed by a pot luck breakfast, so the Saint and I went out there this morning and I accompanied a new member on a 3+ mile slow run while my wife ran 4 with one of her gf's from the Club.  Later we hung around to eat and chat with our friends. We just got back.

I have absolutely no new goals for 2016, and in fact never gave a thought to what I would do differently in the new year. I admire those who make such choices however.

Today is the day I total up all the books I read last year and put them in my Excel spreadsheet for the purpose of remembering them.  I read some long classics this year which will deflate the number somewhat. I'm almost finished with Anthony Trollope's "The Eustace Diamonds" which is about a month long book.  I love Trollope.   Spareribs

...mornin' guys//.....me and Claire wish everyone a Happy New Year................been playing Jenga and Uno til my brains fell out

===============

.....30s here ,,,ugh,,

did 45-min HH walk with trekking poles, and a field full of cows,

not natural go-togethers

,,,,,,,,,hope you're having a Happy NewYear...........

Claire wishes

AdventurerDoggie good Wishes Playing with his Pancakes

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Henry and I ran a 5K in Lowell - turns out a bunch of friends were there.  I got a first in AG and Henry a 2nd.  There were enough folks over 79 that they changed the awards from 70 + to 70-79 and 80+.

Have a happy and healthy New Year with lots of successful and fun exercise involved.

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' and Happy New Year everybody!

Good starts to the new year, RCG, Holly, Ribs and TW.

Holly, I think you already excel at all the things you want to try to do more of this year, especially the 'encouraging' and 'giving.' But I have confidence that you will succeed, whatever your goals are.

A spreadsheet is a good way to remember all the books you've read, Ribs. Do you categorize them by more than just the year? I've never read Trollop, so I'll have to look him up.

Careful about those brains falling out, TW!

Marj posted while I was composing, so I had to come back to congratulate her and Henry on their first-of-the-year AG awards!

My goals this year are not well formulated yet, but they involve backing off of or delegating some of the activities that I manage so I can focus better on those that are more important to me.

BIL, SIL and one of their daughters and I did a local 5K this morning. This is a good, neighborhoody-kinda race (with over 800 entrants) that I've done quite a few times before. This was my first race since October, because of my hammy/glute issue. I did OK, not great, but I had a good time, and got to wish a Happy New Year to a lot of local running friends. Our niece did better than she expected, so she's pretty happy. BIL & SIL walked the race, so they were there for some exercise rather than to race. However, they were pleased with their effort as well. This afternoon, as we do every New Year's Day, we are going underwear shopping - staring the new year with new 'foundations.'

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

spacityrunner

5.1 miles on the trails with our Running Club.  One of the members hosts the resolution run every year...there is lots of food and fellowship afterwards.  We had a big group show up this morning.  I saw people that I haven't seen since the relay we did in October.  It was good to catch up.  2016 is starting off with a smile.  I hope to keep it that way!

Trails Rock!

pfriese

Happy New Year!

16 miles to start 2016. Just a coincidence since that was what was on my training plan but I'll take it as a good sign & start for the new year.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy New Year everybody!

Well...after going back and forth...and back again...and forth again...I finally signed up for the Mississippi Blues Marathon--which is next Saturday.  Since the airfare has now reached about $570, I decided to drive.  It's about 16 hours but...what the heck.

I'm not really sure if I'm completely convinced that I'm ready for it.  I started my training late and only got a couple of long runs in...including a 15 1/2 miler where I crashed around mile 12 and struggled to get home.  But I had a good 6x1 mile repeat workout on Monday and my Wednesday 10 mile tempo run went great...which is when and why I went ahead and decided to drive on down and do it.  It might not be my best marathon ever, but it will be the best I can do that day.

Today, my mom would have been 80 years old...she died 15 years ago, tomorrow.  My brother and I met at her gravesite, today...she wasn't there...so we went out for lunch.  We had a good time.  I still miss my mom.  She was a little woman...very quiet and shy.  She loved to read romance novels and I believe she spent most of her life in her own little dream world.  She loved her kids, her cats, and her Minnesota sports teams...especially the Vikings and the Twins.

When I was a kid, I used to tell my mom that I hated her when I got mad at her.  One day--I think I was about 8 years old--I told her I hated her and she said, "I hate you, too."  I was shocked!  I ran to my room, crying...and she was right behind me.  She scooped me up in her arms and said, "The way you feel, right now, is the same way I feel every time you tell me that."  I never told my mom I hated her again.

When I was in 10th grade, I walked into the house after school and told my mom I had quit the track team.  She looked at me with very a disappointed look on her face and said, "Quitters never win."  I think about that every time I want to quit in a race, or a tough workout...or a stupid job...yeah...I miss my mom....

Okay--I'll let you guys go...thanks for listening.  See ya!

Nice stories about your Mom, Mike.  Good luck on your marathon.

I think this year is going to have me cross-training and gasp, even doing weight training.  My previous belief that I could keep my body from falling apart without any of those has finally vanished.  Not sure how I will do weight training without belonging to a gym, but I need do lunges or something to strengthen my legs to take some strain off my knees.  Cross-training - it will be biking - as you all know Mr. Blue Eyes is an avid cyclist, so there is that influence.  Going bike shopping tomorrow!  It is scary how much gear goes along with that activity though and it will probably dent my wallet quite a bit.

I've been off all week with the kids.  Funny how that never feels like a vacation!  But I have finally had some time to read again.  I am reading Michel Faber's "The book of strange new things" and really enjoying it.

I ran 4.3 miles this afternoon, about 40F and sunny.  There was a lot of walking, partly due to being out of cardio shape, partly my dang knee getting achy.  But I was out there.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy belated New Year everyone as it’s already Saturday over here but that doesn’t matter as this year’s festivities and feasting are going right though the whole weekend anyway. Fortunately, I’ve only gained a little over a pound so far, well, maybe 1.7 pounds, . . . until I realized the scales aren’t in pounds over here in Japan. Oh well.

Me too MikeE.

With my only sister and only DD facing various challenges this year, I’m kind of dreading 2016. We’ll see.

Hope it is not as bad as from 2008-2012 when a friend’s son was wrongfully, and irresponsibly, convicted on evidence we believed then was false and which was later shown too late to be false. I filed a grievance against the prosecutor only to find out they can do pretty much whatever they want in bringing cases as it’s the responsibility of the (in) justice system to work out the “truth.” Okay, that's out of my system. sorry..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

My goal for this year is to make some goals. To be specific and write them down.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

This posting from a phone is a nightmare! We are at a hotel and tried earlier to post this.

Hello everyone. Nice racing for Henry & Marj, that is cool that they had so many turn out. I have a spreadsheet for almost everything, including books I want to read. I don't always get it updated though. I think a notebook is better for that. I did keep a log of my sewing/ Knitting/quilting projects though.

Running clubs are pretty non-existent where I live in rural SW MN, it would be fun though.

Tet, I hope 2016 turns out better than you think. MikeE, have a good marathon. Who blows the snow when you are gone? Oh yeah, you don't have a snowblower, sorry.

I did sign up for the RA 2016 challenge as an individual and picked 1000 miles for that goal.That means I need to consciously run longer than 5 miles, my usual run around the lake. I will start doing the 7 mile loop that includes the campground trail to get my miles up.

Well the saga continues with our daughter's move. We got to the Cities at 10am yesterday and she had a lot of work left to do. We packed, moved boxes and furniture into the trailer then cleaned the apartment. Her car is full of stuff to donate to a homeless shelter up here so will stay with DD2 until Monday.

We spent NYE at DS's and watched the kids so that the two of them could go out. Today was our family Christmas brunch and a day of fun. MrStarr and I just checked into the hotel a few hours ago. Two grandkids are here tonight and two tomorrow night, maybe three..... I intended to run this morning but just didn't want to.

Oh, thanks to all for the advice on DD and unemployment situation. She has a hearing scheduled to appeal the denial and has qualified for medical assistance.  Hopefully she will get back on her feet soon.

Happy new year!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Happy New Year all! Nice running and racing for those of you that had local events and gatherings you attended.  Most years I usually join my running club for their Resolution Run also, but I didn't go today. Had friends/family over til pretty late last night - and it is about a 50 mile drive to where the club gathers and I just wasn't into driving that far this time to run a few miles.  First club race is next weekend though, so need to decide if i'm up to running this one or not. I probably should. it would be a good start to the year. 

nice stories about your mom, Mike. thanks for sharing.

Started a new family 2016 tradition this year. tradition, resolution, goal, indulgence - - whatever you want to call it. It's called "Pie of the Month". DH and DS each wrote down 6 kinds of pie. Put them in a decorated "pie jar" and the 1st of each month we'll draw one out and I will make that pie at some point during the month. Figures that the one I was least thrilled with, was the one I chose first. Guess I'll get it out of the way early. lol

January is "Grasshopper Pie".

now that I think of it. I better get registered for that race - and at least one each month if we are having a pie a month.

Tammy

Mariposai

Tamster, your pie idea is a good one.

Paul is here, hurrahhh!!!

Spareribs, ohh wiseone, what a good idea about creating a spreadsheet for your reading list. I may have to copy that one.

Erika, how on earth can you keep your pace in the snow? I am having a lot of trouble running in the snow we have at a decent pace.

Holly, you will exceeded your New Years resolution.

Look at Henrun and the gorgeous Marj taking first and second place on their race today.

Buehrle, your posts makes me smile.

Spacityrunner, keep that smile on your face and keep on posting. It is so great to have you here!

Enkie, glad to hear that you will be cross training. Hey, we have a lot of snow here, bring Mr.BE for cross country skiing.

Tetsujin, your adventures in Japan always are interesting to read.

Ok, my posie wings have been working way too hard on agency budget for the last month. I did some running, but not to the level I would like, se la vi. Today, I was determine to run 12 miles, one mile for each month of the year. It was 11f here, gorgeous sunshine, but bitter cold. I got it done!

My goals for this year is to run more, have more people over for dinners, read more books, make Omak Orchards in Bloom grow and to say "I love you and appreciate you " to those near and dear to my heart. Ohhh...and I do dream for a thousands of smile miles as well.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard