Masters Running

Friday March 14 Master running (Read 617 times)

evanflein

Good discussion, all around. DH and I had to google the st. joseph statue in the yard thing. Pretty funny. Mariposai, good comment about learning the english language. I find learning foreign languages very hard. I took three years of German in high school, a year of French in college, and can barely stumble along in either one. I had German language cd's playing down with the treadmill for awhile, but the noise of the treadmill makes concentrating on the cd's hard (no headphones, need to try it that way). Dale, Bob, Holly, et al, good comments on the marathon training. I'm finding it hard this year because of time constraints. In a way, I'm finding my running itself easier and easier... love it and hate to stop. But life gets in the way sometimes and gotta cut it back or re-schedule, whatever. Could be cuz of the temps, daylight issues, school, snow, etc I'm just finding lots of "other" things that are causing problems, not the running itself. Or so I say now. I also have a 10 miler tomorrow and a 20 on Sunday... those 30 mile weekends do get kinda difficult... But, we'll get there and do well. They key is staying healthy and strong! Make it to taper in good shape, and you've pretty much got 'er nailed. Rest day today, but since I'm off work I'll probably do something for some VRAA points...
      No run day for me, I didn't realize it was pi day, so I put on the GPS and walked 3.14 miles. Big grin Breakfast after blood test then to gym for upper body workout. The Somalian cab driver probably quickly discovered that we park in driveways and drive on parkways. Roll eyes Blood test just 1st part of routine physical. I discovered that another man same age and name also goes to my Dr. and some of our records were mixed up. Shocked Happy to find out in an non-emergency. Anyway I'm actually looking forward to see my blood numbers. All this talk of 20 milers is making me feel like a slacker. I guess I'll make some calls and see if I can find someone to run 14 or 15 with this weekend. Enjoy the weekend and have successful runs.....

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

We must all remember that we, marathon runners, are a special breed and that the race we have chosen is not an easy quest...it is our Everest...and only thru determination and hard work we will get there. Hey, just the fact that we decided to train for one speaks loudly of our warrior spirit. Let us keep focusing in the race ahead and on how much fun we are going to have come "victory" day.
        I LOVE the way you put this - very heart-lifting. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Cool. Pi day, I had forgotten...well, I guess I'll go for a pi run later... Our household had a contest to memorize pi-it started years ago as I have been known to quote it foro 10-15 digits ......heh heh...yeah, we're real party animals in the dtoce household... ...
          Party on Dr Dtoce. Let's see...."when I'm right, I'm happy" got it!!! Sweet... Every one else around me is in agony. The important thing though, is that I'm right....I mean "happy"....aw heck, same thing. speaking of obstacles while training, the biggest one I've ever enountered has been between my ears. Your training anecdote BTB, reminds me of pre race dreams I've had. You can imagine the rides I can get on in "Stevie Land". I bagged the run today. It was raining pretty good and it's still too cold to be out there soaked. DD#1 and DD#2 called and invited me to lunch. After a bit of coaxing, I got to hold GS (6 1/2 weeks) while DD#1 finished lunch. He can't turn his head well yet, but he was doing his best to check out the lights at the restaurant.

SteveP

Party on Dr Dtoce. Let's see...."when I'm right, I'm happy" got it!!! Sweet... Every one else around me is in agony. The important thing though, is that I'm right....I mean "happy"....aw heck, same thing. .
            Confused
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rest day for me, because I'm doing my first race of the year (5K) on Sunday with DS15. Tomorrow I will go for an easy run. Today, I did my YMCA class (core strengthening, plus work on arms and legs). The class must be helping, because I don't get so terrible sore afterwards anymore. Happy Friday!! Teresa

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good luck on your 5k Teresa....gotta let us all know how it goes Smile and have fun!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck on your 5k Teresa....gotta let us all know how it goes Smile and have fun!!! Tim
                  Thanks a lot, Tim! It's funny that I'm nervous - I guess because I'm hoping all my work shows up in the results!
                    I ran almost 2*pi miles today in Racine, WI. After a relatively short flight and drive to the hotel, I set out for an easy run. Either my rest day yesterday, or the need to get back to the hotel for lunch had me running faster than I meant. Workout: 5.2 miles, 8:10/mi, AHR 151 Overall: 6.2 miles, 50:19

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dtoce, just when I had convinced my DH that runners are pretty normal, you had to go and blow it. I think I'd rather run a marathon than memorize pi to 100 digits. I thought steve's post was funny. I ran 3*pi + x = 10.25 miles today. 6.25 were outside, raining but the rain stopped after one pi. Feeling good. I don't know if it is really pi unless you run it in a circle. English language: I was talking to a Korean friend of mine about close-knit families, or some such thing, and she replied "yes, it is really important to have that human bondage". PeterNC - Good Luck on your marathon!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Happy pi Day to all! Smile I got back from the physical therapy torture last evening and promptly took a 2 hour nap instead of running. Shocked I am going to call it 'listening to my body' and be happy I feel like I finally got enough sleep. Big grin

Runners run

dtoce, just when I had convinced my DH that runners are pretty normal, you had to go and blow it. I think I'd rather run a marathon than memorize pi to 100 digits.
                          enke- remind your DH that it takes months to train for the marathon and some people can memorize pi in one boring night...and tell him the truth, runners are wack-but only in the best possible way... Roll eyes (nice avatar, BTW...)

GreenMan

Hey Gang, Check out the movie Pi, if you're into numerology and mental health topics. 4 miles and some XT, garden variety, but I happen to like gardens. Tomorrow, a group of trail runners are going to run for several hours in the mountains at Damascus, and have a Pre-St Paddy's Day Party after. It'll be a blast, thunderstorms and all. Hope my ribs hold out. I'm psyched. JJJ
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              Hello again, Checking back in after run number two today.... Some great conversations going on here as always. I'll join in on the monster weeks portion of training discussion. These are the "straddle-the-line" weeks for me. On one side there is hope/faith and on the other fear/doubt. The Museum of Science in Boston straddles the Cambridge and Boston border. This is marked inside the building with a red line and red foot prints on either side. The view is of the skyline and the Charles...stunning. The kids loved it....some would jump over to Cambidge and say....ha...we are over here and then jump over to Boston. The footprints for me straddle two important feeling/emotions that I need to face and in the end jump over to the faith/hope side. This afternoon's run helped with that....5.6 miles in 44:23 for 7:55 pace. I ran at 5 PM---50F (in shorts Big grin !) and felt strong. This was part two of a "pick your pace run" and since I "picked" 7:58 pace this morning, I was happy to stay near that. I also ran with a heavy heart this afternoon. I ran today for H. Sargent Whittier, Jr. He is in ICU in a VT hospital right now and the clock is ticking loudly. A great man and my first and primary mentor. Twenty-three years ago, he let a 20 year-old ask him all sorts of questions about a job that has turned into my career. He guided and led by example and I was so lucky to work for him. He is quite possibly the very best of my chosen profession and he's slipping away. At 71, it seems too soon and yet I know I have special and significant memories and lessons from this man that will last the rest of my life. I ran for Sarge today....Godspeed. CNYrunner
                                (nice avatar, BTW...)
                                I think my avatar is hungover, with a headache. My DH was a mathie in college, and I find it interesting that he is terrible at doing math in his head. I bet you he'd rather memorize pi to 100 decimals than run a marathon.... Wink No way could anyone in our family do that in one night.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."