Masters Running

Friday March 14 Master running (Read 617 times)

pfriese

We must all remember that we, marathon runners, are a special breed and that the race we have chosen is not an easy quest...it is our Everest...and only thru determination and hard work we will get there. Hey, just the fact that we decided to train for one speaks loudly of our warrior spirit. Let us keep focusing in the race ahead and on how much fun we are going to have come "victory" day.
    Holly's right, this is a great quote. Anyways, I got off work early today and went for a nice easy lap around the lake. 8.33 miles @ 9:34/mile pace Since it's somewhat circular, I guess it will be my contribution to Pi Day. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Paul
      Long day at work for me (it's 5:46 here as I type)--was just going to peruse the day's doings when I read roch's kind comment, so how can I not post, now, even if this thread is winding down! Did manage 8 miles listening to my book on CD, so kind of lazy pace of 9:07. Overcast and just under 40 degrees, maybe a night for a little fire in the fireplace. derrick, I loved running the Martian! Wave at the green mascots for me, and good luck coping with your taper. I enjoyed the St. Joe stories and am real familiar with the practice (my older brudder went to Notre Dame High in Detroit...I managed to stay with public schools until I went to graduate school at Boston U., where I had a tremendous mentor. Frank had energy for 10, and even after running into a wall while playing handball (this was after I graduated), he continued teaching and hell-raising from his motorized wheel chair until his death. His memorial service rocked Marsh Chapel. You're in my thoughts, CNY. ) Hey, time for me to go home and enjoy the weekend! grins, A
      Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Talk about happy families, weird families or whatever, tonight at dinner we talked about Dr. Dale and the 100 digits after the decimal. Kind of neat, because mental exercises are good for you. The Kennedys (whether you liked them or not) did those kinds of things at dinner all the time. As most of you know I do a lot of stand-up workshops and sometimes the client forgets to provide those cardboard "tent cards" where the participants can write their names so I don't have to call out, "Okay you, what do you think?" and instead call them by name. When I find out there are no name cards, I go around and shake hands and introduce myself to the group before we get started and of course get their names. It often surprises them when I kick off and go back around the room and call everyone by name. I am up to 20+ people by now. I can do this in work because I have to focus, but in my personal life I quickly forget the name of the person I was just introduced to at a party. Kind of embarrassing. Enke, the Korean Somerset Maugham? That was a great story. Okay, let me offer a disclaimer to all people of Italian descent. I make the best eggplant parm you ever tasted, so don't reply that your uncle so-and-so, or your wife from some place in Italy makes it better. Mine is superb. Problem: my family is basically meat and potatoes. Friday in Lent, so tonight was my meal to die for, and after watching them down a couple of reluctant mouthfuls I was half hoping they would. I'm thinking that on Good Friday I might grill myself a steak and let them figure out what they want to eat. I love my family but sometimes they make me miss Earthrunner. Oh, by the way, I ran 3.3 on dirt and my foot feels great. Spareribs
        PJH

CNY - not running today, but just had to tune it to say that good mentors are special. Have many memories of 'good ones' in my life. My thoughts are with you and your mentor. Spareribs - you have 'the gift' if you can remember names like that. I remember taking a Dale Carnegie course a long time ago where the instructor went through a memory game and amazed me with the his ability. You'd think I would have learned something from that. Still struggle with remembering names in my workshops, especially now that I have trouble reading the tent cards. Smile Some neat reading today gang! Good running everyone! Best of luck to our racers! PJ
            I did get my 20 miler in this afternoon temp was perfect 55 degrees, with 10 mph ssw wind, 3 :37 :42. Weighed 203 at start and weighed 196 when I got in shower, after 2 turkey coneys with everything, 3 waters and a gatorade, and 2 gu's. I tried the S-caps for 1st time unable to tell much of a difference. If I can get up in AM, I might run the pot of Gold race in morning. I'll probably not register because I know I will push myself if I do. I really need a brisk 4 miles not a race.
              good run derrick! And to all the Masters. I was happy that I got a beautiful 6 miler in this evening. It just felt right. Wink It clouded up, looked like rain, smelled like rain....then the thunder, then it rained. I was nearly finished with the run when the rain began. It's getting close to spring, I saw a cottontail rabbit. I smelled honeysuckle. Enjoy the beauty.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Mariposai

I make the best eggplant parm you ever tasted, Spareribs
                Ship me the left over, please Tongue

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I have to admit to being a pi non-scholar. Alas, 3.14 is as far as I can go. Spareribs FWIW I cannot remember names to save my life. I have worked with groups of 8 people for 14 weeks and if I had to name them all or die they could start digging my grave now! I find that this mental inability of mine is really a huge problem. Remembering names is so important. But, alas, this mental facility is apparently partially (or perhaps largely inherited). In my family I saw it in my mother who also had a stunning inability to remember names. Anyway, Spareribs I hope you are more capable in this department than I am! BTB on the who has the weather worse contest, perhaps you think the wind blows only over Long Island from the sound but it actually goes the other way into CT sometimes. Tag your it! I had 12 miles scheduled for tomorrow. I had an extra mile of "credit" from a run earlier this week. Today I scheduled 15 miles. I went out 12 with my TP and when we were done I felt pretty good and decided that to do 8 more (20 total) giving me a net surplus of 6 going into tomorrow. So tomorrow it will either be 6 or 0 if I decide to rest for Sunday's 4 mile race. If I do zero I may do 6 Sunday at dusk. Who knows. I will see how things go. Good evening all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

GreenMan

Ship me the left over, please Tongue
                    Drat! Mari beat me to it.
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                      spareribs - you can make me eggplant parm anytime!! that is my absolutely favorite meal!! i don't typically make it because i am the only one here who loves it altho 2 of my boys did say they liked my aunts eggplant lasagna years ago..........my boys - my pride and my agony right now Undecided anyway - dealt with crap from the 20 yr old who just had surgery yesterday......... rested today altho i think my brain and my spirit could have used a run..........just did some light legwork, stretched, foam roller.......then went to see my niece in a fashion show - needed a glimpse of girlworld tonight!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

I did get my 20 miler in this afternoon ...... If I can get up in AM, I might run the pot of Gold race in morning.....
                        I think it's amazing that you are even thinking about running a race the day after a 20-miler.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Derrick's a laid back animal...If that makes sence. After the race, he may very well be in a weight lifting competition.

SteveP