Masters Running

The Thursday Show, 10.16.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TW, sorry about your car. I hope it's fixable.

Roch and Twocat - I used to wear Mizuno Musha and liked them a lot. But they were discontinued at the end of last year. I bought a few extra pair, but have gone through just about all of them, so I have to move on to something different. Flexibility in a shoe is generally more important for racewalkers than runners. We roll the length of our foot with each stride, and try to get a good push-off with our toes at the end of each stride - you can't do that if the shoes are too stiff.

Brian, in my own way (I'm a racewalker), I like to think that I am still competitive at age 66. At least, I enjoy competing, and I do OK in local races. However, the one thing that I think surprises many of us is how many very competitive racers there are as we move up in age groups. But many of us get to know the other local folks in our respective age groups, and enjoy the comraderie as well as the competition.

Tag, I always appreciate your unique perspective on life and running.

We proposed a modification (which would have guaranteed a minimum amount of usable space on lots where there are wetlands) to our wetlands zoning ordinance to our planning board last night. We have some very strict property-rights advocates on that board, and to say they didn't like our proposal would be a gross understatement. They are adamantly against anything that will take away from a property owner's right to develop their property to the absolute maximum, and they clearly felt our proposal would do that. So now we lick our wounds, and go back to the drawing board.

3.4 RW miles in muggy, mild, foggy weather this morning. It had rained overnight and will rain a lot more today, so I was lucky to get my workout done between squalls. There are lots of leaves on the ground now, which, when they are wet, makes the footing 'interesting.'

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Jay, sorry your proposal did not receive the support of the board.

No running for me today. I did run a 10 miler yesterday afternoon. Ohh, at the last minute I signed up for the Cougar Mt. 50k, which is next weekend. I am so out of long distance running shape, but this is for the fun and I will have 8 hours to cover the 50k. The best part is that I will see Wildchild, tetsujin, dove and Enkehalin at the start.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

. Ohh, at the last minute I signed up for the Cougar Mt. 50k, which is next weekend. I am so out of long distance running shape, but this is for the fun and I will have 8 hours to cover the 50k. The best part is that I will see Wildchild, tetsujin, dove and Enkehalin at the start.

and this is normal - signing up for a 50K for 'fun'     RA meetups are fun, 50K????

embarrassed to say ran 3 in the muggy, drippy, starting to rain weather.

marj

TammyinGP

a 50K for fun? I don't get it either Marj. those crazy kids.

Yesterday was the Max King Invitational meet and David did well. He ran his first sub 18 with a time of 17:54. It was a fast course though and every boy on the team PR'd and the majority of girls did also. He was so happy with his time.  Next week is Districts. Only the top two teams in our conference go to State. One school is a shoe-in already to win Districts and State, but our school is pretty much neck-in-neck for the 2nd place spot. so it really comes down to each runner doing the best they can.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We proposed a modification (which would have guaranteed a minimum amount of usable space on lots where there are wetlands) to our wetlands zoning ordinance to our planning board last night. We have some very strict property-rights advocates on that board, and to say they didn't like our proposal would be a gross understatement. They are adamantly against anything that will take away from a property owner's right to develop their property to the absolute maximum, and they clearly felt our proposal would do that. So now we lick our wounds, and go back to the drawing board.

In NH, go figure.   You were probably being too reasonable and making common sense suggestions.

66F and 100% humidity this morning.  I don't believe that this is actually October weather--it snuck in from FLA or somewhere.  8.22 miles while dripping heavily.  my drizzle started as I was walking back at the end.  It would have felt better a couple of miles before.  I've been battling some sort of crud that I got 4th hand (DD's BF-->DD-->DW-->me) that fortunately hasn't hit me nearly as hard as them.  Scratchy throat and stuffy head mostly, but I'm wondering if that had as much to do with lack of speed as the humidity.

Signing up for 50Ks on a whim is distressingly normal around here.  Fortunately, I will only let peer pressure go so far...............

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I'm with you Marj: 50Ks and "fun" do not go together for me! But then those west coasters are always a unique group...

Whew! Ran over at Oakland U for about the only time all year and our leader said we'd go out on the golf course. Well, his route to get there was a seriously hilly "trail" through the woods that eventually led onto the (also very hilly) golf course. I sure didn't see how he could tell where the trail actually was, especially now that it's getting a coating of wet leaves, and accused him of "bushwhacking" a couple of times as we had to walk up yet another steep hill while stepping over roots and deadfall.

Anyway, at the end of the 6-mile route I had to admit that I rather enjoyed it; my routes have been pretty routine and somewhat monotonous by this point in the season. The campus itself was extra busy today, with various parking lots roped off and lots of campus police vehicles and various other unmarked black SUVs cruising around. Seems that Hillary is going to be speaking there this afternoon.

I hope everyone else is also having a good running day!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Got home from Raleigh at dinner time yesterday and swamped now with work, but wanted to stop in and say hi.

Too bad they didn't like your good ideas Jay, but I liked your comment on racing in the older age groups as I feel the same.  I enjoy the friendly camaraderie and ongoing rivalries in the 65-69 age group.  We are all friends, but we work hard to beat each other.

I have done just 2 50K's and during them I didn't think they were a lot of fun, but I have good memories of both, having won my AG. My only issue with them is that at my age, the recovery from such an effort is just too long and I was fatigued for what seemed like forever.  But looking back, yes they were fun to do.  My first year in 2013, as I approached the finish, the Cowtown Race Director came into the chute to give me a hug.  That meant the world to me.  Spareribs

icom, glad to hear from you again.  I hope your training plan works well for you.  Tammy, congrats to your son on his sub 18.

Nice long runs for Twocat and mari.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:52 pace.

Tomorrow, my wife is having back surgery.  She's having a couple of disks fused.  Hopefully, her leg and foot won't be going numb all the time.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Sayhey!

It was 65 this am!!!!   Whee (altho I ran slowly)!!!  OK, the humidity was 90%, but the temp was downright refreshing.  DH took 20 seconds off his pace.    I poked along for 8.5 (since I did 6.2 at a 9 minute mile pace last night and have Speedsters tonight), and I loved it.

That is some unique mushroom, Tag.  Caroline and Coco, the cats who run my house, now would like to meet your human since you said he listens the way they do.

So what's the word on your car, tw?  Maybe you should figure out a way to get it to Michigan and the rest of us can all meet you and our Michiganders there.  Does Breger still check in, does anyone know?  Let's all go up and stay with him .

I wish we could follow a sense of being "stewards" of land when we own it, maintaining the focus on the fact that the land will remain long after we are gone.

Mari, you are a nut.  A beautiful, winged one, but a nut.  Have fun (and I totally understand, plus you get to hang with the RA crew!)   But I'm with Ribs, having run one less 50K than he.  Ditto what he said.

HAppy Boss's Day, to all you bigwigs out there!  I must say, I truly enjoy mine and feel quite lucky to have landed in my little cubby (where they let me bring in race medals and related flotsam and even ask me from time to time what I've run lately.  (Sorry for the clown to anyone who watches American Horror.)

Special story on fall vegetables on NPR this afternoon, gardeners, chefs, and eaters!

Crusin' to the weekend....w/grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sorry, I've been offline for like, 6 days or something.  Not sure I can catch up.  I will assume everyone is doing great.

My trip back "home" to Ontario for Canadian Thanksgiving went well (had two turkey dinners), and the leaves were at the peak for colour.  Although I lived there for the first 36 years of my life, I was still awestruck by the intensity - it all seemed new to me, I didn't remember it being so gorgeous.  I got to run twice, once a bit up north, and once more south in a little town on Lake Erie.

I also ran today, 4.3 miles, felt good!  Looking forward to next weekend and this RA "for fun" trail race meetup, practically in my own backyard!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Ohh, at the last minute I signed up for the Cougar Mt. 50k, which is next weekend. I am so out of long distance running shape, but this is for the fun and I will have 8 hours to cover the 50k. The best part is that I will see Wildchild, tetsujin, dove and Enkehalin at the start.

Yay!  That will be a fun meet-up for sure!

Enke - welcome back!

Amy - amazing how much energy a break from the heat can bring.

No run for me today.  My knee is still being creaky and I figured the smart thing would be to give it another day off, since I want to run a bit longer tomorrow.

30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Anyone have an opinion on the new Doctor Who?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

the one thing that I think surprises many of us is how many very competitive racers there are as we move up in age groups. But many of us get to know the other local folks in our respective age groups, and enjoy the comraderie as well as the competition.

Jay, - you mean like a certain sexigenarian goddess who’s closing in on 100 AG victories in her age group just in marathons, even when competing with nearly 100 other of her AG’ers and a goddess who has the genes to do it for another fifty years. 
                          For the rest of us, even if it’s just trying to key off a slightly faster runner for a while (somehow, usually a goddess), competitiveness still seems to always creep in in one-way-or-the-other even if it’s just trying to run all the way up a nemesis hill in front of spectators or with friends without stopping, sneaking under a previous year’s time, or just using a race for the incentive to run when we wouldn’t otherwise run,
                           = = =

Ohh, at the last minute I signed up for the Cougar Mt. 50k, which is next weekend. I am so out of long distance running shape, but this is for the fun and I will have 8 hours to cover the 50k. The best part is that I will see Wildchild, tetsujin, dove and Enkehalin at the start.

yippee.

ps mikeE - I know your VT50 ranked an impressive 3 on the goddess scale <<<(wild/holly/CNY) but have you (OR ANYONE ELSE) ever been in race with a goddess quotient 4? <<<(wild/enke/dove/posie)>>> or will I be getting another RAR (RA Record) in addition to fastest tri transition time (18-sec) and too many slowests to mention, e.g. 5K (59-min), 10K (2.5 hours), half mary (2:54) and several mary’s  exceeding nine hours.  They say I should train more but I won’t.  .

= = =

signing up for a 50K for 'fun'  

that's for goddesses who have no idea they're not supposed to be doing what they are doing because it is too hard and they haven't been in athletics all their lives, just working 24 hours a day taking car of kids, laundry, cooking, gardens, house, jobs, etc.

However, especially with help from dove and francesca, we’ll soon have nancy (and wildchild too) thinking 100-milers are fun too. In fact, anyone, multiply your marathon time by four and, after adding the 5 or 6 or more hours necessary for appropriate ultra-pacing, I bet you’ll be well under the cutoffs of 32 hours for most centuries too.  I wasted 30 years of my running life thinking regular runners could not run ultra-distances.  I was wrong, . . . especially now that I know about the hugs at the end of almost every one.

= = =  .

Hey tag. Once, when I was in Rhoon-land in 1962, I had to climb a cottonwood I couldn’t climb even when I went back later to try but had some frightening incentive to get out of the way when mama yogi decided I was a threat to her cubs in the middle of the trail while they were having lunch on salmon she had caught for them in an adjacent creek.  Closer to erika-land once, my own canine running partner (who I actually entered in a marathon with me in 1978 with his own bib number*) held off a mama moose long enough for me to do the same. 
                          ps - unfortunately, after running 26 miles of the marathon course (plus about five miles here-and-there after squirrels and rabbits in the fresher early miles), he cut across the infield of West High to catch up to one of the more spirited finishes I could still do in those days and got DQ’ed.

pps - you can imagine how much I loved a dog who would run a marathon with me.  I still miss him after nearly 30 years.  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TomS, best wishes for your wife's surgery. I hope it all goes well with a good long-term result!

Tet, what's a sexy genarian goddess? I thought they all were.

Enke, whereabouts in Ontario were you? I hope you weren't just across the river without notification.

Yes, these upper AGs are a lot of fun, even when not in a real race. One of the guys I ran "casually" with yesterday is 75, so I felt obligated to stretch it out a bit in the last half to make sure I finished ahead of him.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay!  Mariposai is coming to Cougar Mountain!  Signing up for the 50k totally makes sense to me -- I'd love to do it too, but I want to spend more time with my DD, since I don't get to see her often enough.  So I'm "only" doing the 8 miler.  Looking forward to seeing Enke and Mari again, and to meeting Tet and Dove!

I ran 14 beautiful trail miles this morning, a bit slow since it was warm, but a nice run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Signing up for the 50k totally makes sense to me

Of course it does.

Hello everybody!  I just did 6.2 miles in 47:26.  The tendons behind my knee are still sore, but I think they're getting better.  It's a good thing I'm not doing a 50k, this weekend.

Well, I was kind of afraid a typing/talking dog would scare away icom...I sure hope I'm wrong...

Okay--I gotta go.  see ya!