Masters Running

Bayshore RR with pix & splits! (Read 280 times)

I love to run!

We drove up to Traverse City from the Chicago area which is about 328 miles. The drive was nice and the scenery was great. As we drove up to our Hotel, we were very surprised to find a Hooters just a few blocks down. Of course, we had to stop.... Photobucket After that we passed an awesome T-shirt place.... Photobucket My goal for this race was originally just to finish. However, anyone that has done several marathons will tell you that further into training, you want to go fast, so you tend to set a few goals. Goal 1: Finish in under 4 hours. Goal 2: Sub 3:45 (I wore a 3:45 pace band) Gaol 3: BQ which is 3:30:59 Training for a Spring marathon was a little difficult with the Winter we had in Chicago. Some of my runs were canceled due to shoveling snow and frigid cold. The rest of the training went pretty well for me. This is my 4th marathon, so I was pretty sure what I needed to do to be successful. Of course you can't count out injuries or the like, but I was very blessed during the whole training cycle. I freaked out as usual during the taper, but carbo-loaded quite well the night before.... Photobucket I do have to mention the fact that mrsbill was wonderful once again during the whole training! I just love her!!!!!! Photobucket Race day morning, the weather was perfect for a marathon. Temps in the 40's, sunny, and no windl Photobucket Photobucket I had been concentrating throughout my training for negative splits and to go out slowly. I wanted to run the second half faster than the first half. I felt good on the start line and thought I was ready for this event. 8: 35's for the first half, and pick it up from there. So, how it shook down: Mile 1: 8:22 Whoa, slow down there big fella, you got a long way to go! Mile 2: 8:23 Still a bit fast. Mile 3: 8:35 There you go, settle in there. Mile 4: 8:33 Mile 5: 8:29 Mile 6: 8:30 I think I've found my pace. The scenery is beautiful and I feel good. Mile 7: 8:31 Mile 8: 8:29 Mile 9: 8:27 Mile 10: 9:06 As I came upon a port-a-john, someone was leaving and I jumped in between 9 and 10. (Whew!) Mille 11: 8:30 My right knee is starting to hurt, and I'm not liking it. Mile 12: 8:34 Still holding pace but my knee is hurting. Mile 13: 8:32 The turn-a-round is sorta uphill and you have to run around a cone, not good for my knee! Mile 14: 8:16 I pick up the pace even though the knee is still bothering me. (it stays this way the rest of the race) Mile 15: 8:08 Back it off, Jack! Mile 16: 8:11 I still feel pretty good, but there is a lot of run to go... Mile 17: 8:12 I can't believe how consistent this is. Mile 18: 8:16 Mile 19: 8:32 I stop for more water and gatorade. (I'd been fueling and hydrating regularly) Mile 20: 8:14 What wall?? Mile 21: 8:13 Mile 22: 8:20 Mile 23: 8:20 Wow, can you believe this? Mile 24: 8:23 Mile 25: 8: 38 I stop now for water, gatorade and a gel to finish strong. Mile 26.2 9:38 I was so excited to turn onto the track that I forgot hit my watch at 26. Final result: Chip Time ~ 3:40:28 Whew! I can't believe I'm done!! Photobucket At the finish I could barely walk because my knee hurt so bad. Poor mrsbill was trying to keep up with me, but I had to keep moving. I sprayed some salon pas on my knee to try and stop the pain. I was so pre-occupied with my knee, that I forgot to get a medal. I limped back and got my honkin' medal, and made my way back to the post race area. Photobucket My previous best time was 3:39:19 at Chicago in 2005, so I was just a minute, 8 seconds off that. I was very pleased with my finish time and the course. While it was a little hillier than I thought, it was the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen. Just beautiful. mshill (from Runners World online) spotted me limping around at the post race, so I met him there. I fine young man that ran a great race. (sorry you missed your BQ by less than 4 minutes, d00d) Photobucket We met up again with Mike and smarterblonde and her husband at North Peak Brewery for some well earned beers! Photobucket We also met up with some of the folks from Hal Higdon's site.... Photobucket I have to add that mrsbill ran a great 10K as well. Way to go Honey! smarterblonde ran well too, and I'm sure there's a report out here somewhere. These are some of the nicest, coolest, most fun people you will ever meet. Classy and just a great time. Thanks you guys for all the fun. mrsbill and I spent the Monday cruising the Wineries, which I will post some pics of those later.... *sorry this is so long* Oh yeah, we also made it to the Right Brain Brewery for a couple of great beers, msrbill had a Raspberry Beer.... Photobucket Photobucket All in all, a great, scenic course and a very well organized race. We are thinking of going back next year!
    One More Mile
      Nice job MrBill! Excellent pacing. With those consistent lap times, you'll get that BQ real soon. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Great job Bill' Without the knee issue you might have made a BQ. The weather was perfect and the scenery was great. Also lots of good food and drinks are to be had in Traverse city. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

huskydon

Wow! Great effort and pacing. You make it sound almost easy. Very nice pictures too. Congratulations! huskydon
            You did well, mrbill. You sure ran consistently, in spite of your knee, and got two of your three goals. Our family will second the thought about the beautiful scenery. We did the winery tour on Sunday. At one of the wineries, Sandy saw a lady ahead of us going up the stairs with a funny gait. Sandy said, "She's doing the stairs the way I feel I am. I'll bet she did the marathon." On that basis, Sandy struck up a conversation with her and her husband. We had a nice visit with them as we tasted our wines. Thanks for the many pictures. A big congratulations to you and also to mrsbill on her 10K. TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

hooters for the guys, shirtless for the gals and a near PR marathon, you're rr's would be classics even without the pics. Besides, we are not jealous of the bedroom shirtless, . . . I mean, not jealous of your time. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Well done. Get that knee thing behind you and you are definitely in. Especially as your splits were so consistent. You are in great shape. This was a fun report to read with all those photos, and yes we all share your opinion about the lovely Mrs. Bill. Spareribs

I love to run!

Thanks everyone, we had a great time! Big grin
                  One More Mile
                    So how long has Mrs. Bill been working at Hooters? Nice race report. The pictures are great additions to a fun report. Congratulations. Joey
                    Vista
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Really nice splits and pictures, MrBill! Hey, you'll have to change your profile description - it says you're training for your 4th marathon, but it's DONE! Yay!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Awesome splits, mrbill! Thanks for the great race report... I love RR with pictures! MrsBill did great too, so nice to see her in there, too. Take care of that stoopid knee and you'll get that BQ next time!
                        SteveP

Your race sounds like a blessed event! thanks for the RR

SteveP

Those splits look incredible! I hope your knee fixes up quickly. Wow, no wall eh??? Great job!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Greta race and RR, Mrbill. Congratulations on a race well run, especially the evenness of the splits. I also enjoyed all the photos.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow! Supa job MrBill!!! You were so consistant even with the knee pain. I loved your photos' and MrsBill is very pretty! Great report. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com