Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 7.1.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and welcome to July!

JLynne, I'm also very sorry to learn of Jan's passing. Hold tight to those great memories that you have of how she lived her life with attitude and gratitude, dignity and grace.

Good column, Ribs, and a good reminder of the importance of a positive attitude. Enjoy your column and FB time off!

Right Dave - overcompensating for an injury often just leads to other injuries. Good luck in this year's race on the 4th.

Earlier is definitely cooler, Aamos.

I hope you got your prime, Deeze. And good luck in Philly this Fall.

I'm glad you felt better as your run progressed, Enke.

Nice 5er, Tselbes.

Welcome back, Starr! I still remember diving into an unheated pool to do some laps, and it felt like my lungs seized up and I couldn't breathe. That was 40+ years ago...

How nice that Marj and LaT had a surprise mini-meet-up!

Lamerunner, I heard from Bruce this morning about the Wildcat race, and he is stoked about how well it went (except for the gondola incident, over which you had no control). Congrats to you both for doing an excellent job organizing a new race!

I certainly agree with Tet that I'd rather see aquatic plants in their natural environment than in a pool. Yuk!

I'm glad that DW was so helpful to you at the doc's office, Steve. Good luck with the autoimmune screening. Whatever the cause, it is always better to know what is creating a health issue than not. Choosing to panic later is often a good strategy...so is going for ice cream.

I'm glad you beat the lightning bolts, CNY. Have a safe trip home.

I got nothing this morning: My thigh is still a little achy from whatever I did to it on Sunday. So I took this morning off, and I'll gingerly test it at this evening's racewalking clinic.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I liked your start better, Jay.

Jlynne--sorry to here of your sister's passing.  She clearly meant a lot to you.

H&H 8 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Jlynne-condolences to you and your family.

Did my steamy, short  reservoir run this morning. Wore my Canadian flag shorts in hono(u)r  of Canada Day.

Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends and to everyone else.

Hugs and heartfelt thoughts and prayers for you and all of Jan's family.  Her motto reminded me of this little essay.

ATTITUDE

by: Charles Swindoll

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

Posting from work so will post my run from last night and catch up later. 7.02 miles to get to my prime number! It was hot and windy,  20 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. No wonder I had to walk some. I plan to call the aquatics director to find a swim teacher to give me lessons and pointers. High of only 69* today so no lake swim yet unless I can fit into my wetsuit that I bought for diving years ago. I wish LaT, Tet, Deez and Mustang Sally lived closer!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sayhey! MM#130

Jlynne, you are in my heart today.  Losing my sibling was one of the hardest things I ever experienced.  I felt as if a huge part of me and our history had died along with Bruce.  Even when to a therapist for several visits.  I am sorry.    While it's cold comfort, if even that, she was running (and running well!) up to the end of her life.  That's something a lot of us here probably would like to have noted in our eulogies.

Hoping that leg twinge goes away Jay, and good taking care of it.

Erika and/or others (I just need one explanation), if you have a moment, explain those Nunn tablets?  Can you carry them on a long run and drop in your bottle on a refill from a fountain?  Do they have calories or just electrolytes?  Thanks in advance!

Kirsten, I moved to MA when I was 14 and enthralled with Thoreau (I was a nascent hippie and it was the 60s).  Imagine my shock and dismay upon visiting Walden for the first (of many) times to find people desecrating the pond by swimming in it!    You'll probably be glad to know I'm over that now (along a lot of other up-in-the-air attitudes that my brother Bruce helped puncture, big bros are real good at that!)

Hiya Starr, and welcome back!

Deez, Deez, Deez   (ooops, sorry for jumping up and down and yelling, but DEEZ!)  Me, I did!  Sign up for Philly!!  Shh....I am asking DH to join me, but waiting until his birthday in September so it's a surprise.  He wants to see Philly with me--my favorite aunt, Aunt Rose, the nurse, lived there and had me stay with her as often as I wanted.  I've been signed up for a bit and have a room near the start.  YAY (oopps)... please let's plan to at least have coffee and visit for a bit?  I know you're going with girlfriends, right?  DH and I are fine going our own ways for a bit on vacations, that way we both get to do what we really want, and I am sure there is some arcane historical site or science museum exhibit he'll want to pore over for an hour or two.   Or I'll just send him to the Rodin or Barnes museums.

As per Jay: OK, Welcome July!  Thanks for keeping it a degree under 80 this am (although with the humidity at 84%, it was sort of lost in the context, but it's all good, it's SUMMER!).   Got up a little earlier (the Sox making it easier to go to bed on time last night) and ran 11 miles in 1:37 for a sub 9 pace.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Fletch

Happy July, everyone.

Jlynne - so sorry for your loss.  You and your family are in my prayers.

Nice weekend getaway for DW and me to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Enjoyed a great visit with friends who live in Nags Head.  As a result of that visit, I have revised my race schedule.  I mentioned earlier here that I was planning to run the Charlottesville, VA Fall Classic Half Marathon as my first HM in October.  I have decided to forego that race, and will instead plan to run the Outer Banks Southern Fried Half Marathon on November 9th.  Our friends volunteer for that race, and have invited us to stay with them for the weekend.  It will be a more enjoyable trip for DW (and for me).  And the race will be much flatter than Charlottesville.

I will be running a local 5k this Friday, and will be looking at other shorter races during the months leading up to the HM.

Enjoyed a nice, easy 5 mile run on the beach Saturday.  Followed that with a 7 mile run at 9:57 pace on Sunday morning.  Rest / travel day on Monday.  Planning to run this evening, but will play it by ear (calling for temps in the 90's here, with heat index 100+).

Happy running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, I'm so sorry for your loss.   Like you and Amy, I also lost a sibling, way too young - my dear brother Gordon.  I miss him every day, as I'm sure you miss Jan.

I'm not usually math challenged, but yesterday I thought I needed 2.3 miles to end the month on a prime -- but I only needed 1.3.  I didn't figure it out till I updated my log after I had showered - and by then I didn't want to go out and run another 5 miles to get to the next prime number!  Doh!

Starr, I like your post on attitudes.  I totally agree.

Deez and Aamos, have fun at the Philly marathon!  I went to school in Philly (U. Penn) - it's okay as cities go, but I much prefer the mountains.  If you're looking for a very cool science museum, go to the Franklin Institute!

Happy July!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I'm so sorry jlynne.

Another 5 miles this morning, easy pace at the park, then a good flex workout at the Y.

Weight is now up to 132 as I am eating more food.  Over the last couple of years I've seen more and more restaurants experimenting with pork bellies, so I've decided to do them for the first time. Yesterday I found a nearby Asian market that is almost the size of Costco!  They sell them, along with every other part of the pig.  So I bought a small package, 2.5 lbs. and I'll start them tonight with a rub and marinate overnight.

My sister Suzanne (widow of Joe) sent me a photo of herself with her new car, a Tesla.  I never heard of that car before so my wife had to explain it to me.  What a cool car it is!

Spareribs

lamerunner

Good morning; wait, it is afternoon.  Happy July!  For some reason I woke up at 3, Jay time, and never really got back to  sleep, so I got out running a bit earlier than usual  ( but not as early as I should have) and headed to the rail trail for about 8 miles. A bit warm at 70 or so but not bad.  Nice run, and I remembered the bug dope. After black flies nearly carried me off the summit of Wildcat on Saturday while marking the race course, I won't soon forget the bug spray again!

Good thoughts on attitude from Ribs and Starr. Karin, very glad Will had such a positive orientation weekend; getting a good start makes all the difference! CC does a back country trip for new students, with transfers in their own groups; DDhad a great trip backpacking and doing trail work up on Mt Massive last August and made some friends.

OK, back to work before soccer hour-- plus I will soon crash; I don't know how you get up that early regularly, Jay!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My sister Suzanne (widow of Joe) sent me a photo of herself with her new car, a Tesla. 

What a cool car it is!

TMI in opposite land.

Jay - I miss it when your daily recaps don’t finale with your daily run. Take care of the boinks.
                      What an odd impression to have of any body of water Amy.  If they are not for swimming, what are they for? Swimming across and around Walden Pond would be a dream-come-true that, unfortunately at this stage, never will happen. Maybe I'm wrong but I bet Thoreau swam there, and lots of others too. Why don’t you do it sometime for me with all the swimming you must be able to enjoy in the lovely warm waters off Florida.
                      dear fletch -
                      races don’t count unless you tell ilene’s intrepid topic

It's even better when they are followed-up with race reports. .
                      I better put my annual Fourth-of-Julyer in too. ..

ps - fines based on race distance miles.

skiermon - was the Wildcat gondola malfunction on the famed first one in the U.S.

I somehow remember from ski magazines I devoured in those days? or do I? (1958)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – your kayaking sounds like great fun! The yardwork, not so much…

Ribs – I love the Henry Ford quote.

Starr – I would not personally try an open water lake swim without a floatation device.

{{{Jlynne}}}

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Last night DD’s team won their softball game, and if the win tonight, they will be league champions – very exciting! And today DD turns 12 years old. Where does the time go?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Starr – I would not personally try an open water lake swim without a floatation device.

I would need a boat...

King of PhotoShop

Echo to Holly.  Starr, don't do an OWS without some safeguard, no matter how well you swim. It's the good swimmers who get in trouble because they think "what could happen?"

Somebody translate what Tet said for me.  Spareribs

Jlynne - sorry to hear about your loss.  {{{}}}

Yes, happy Canada Day!

We just submitted another grant application, which has about a 0.1% chance of getting funded.  So not much work to do until I likely get pink slipped in December.

Date with Door#16 last night was fun, but likely just a one time thing, as most of these things usually are.

Door#17 tonight, hopefully there will be more of a connection......then off on vacation for 4 days......

No running today, I was awake too late last night and slept in.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

SteveP -- sent your post with Tag's response to DH, who needed a grin today.  He got it.  He's in the "you need to write a book" camp to share Tag with the world.  Of course, his idea of heaven is when I go away to a race and he can rewatch Star Trek movies and eat pizza.

tet--at the time, I thought people should walk around Walden in respectful silence, as a tribute to HDT.  See why I needed a big brother around me at all times??

Ribs, if you can find it, "60 Minutes" did a portrait of the CEO of the Tesla Co that aired March 30.  I watched it with my college roomie when I was visiting, and then she got it to use in her science class, so I remember it.  Good show.

Franklin Inst., thanks, Carolyn.  I love Philly, as I was living in Detroit when I started visiting there and loved history, so it seemed like a real step "up" kind of place to me.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)