Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 1.6.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I wish you a belated Happy Birthday, Dave! Hope it was a great one!

I love that photo, Wildchild!

TomW, I don't know too many people who like ice storms - be careful!

I'm glad you got to run outside yesterday, Holly. Sounds like your plans for the year require a spreadsheet...

Nice running in the snow yesterday, Dave59. I hope you survive today's TV and sweatfest on the TM.

Twocat, I'm sorry your race conditions were so horrible yesterday. Send a note to the RD - he won't know it was a problem if nobody tells him. Constructive comments are always welcome (or should be).

Nice 16+ yesterday, CNY, despite being on snow, and in chilly conditions.

Deeze, I felt the same as you after a workout on our cold and snowy roads yesterday. Indoor track night should be a lot more comfortable.

Weird about your knees hurting less with more running, Enke: Maybe less is more, more or less...

Nice run yesterday, Stumpy. No survey from CoolRunning showed up here - I guess I don't count.

Nice 5 and 5 days, Jlynne.

A half on a TM, C-R? Wow! And then you shoveled the driveway 6 times? Did you finish at one end, and then go back to the other end to start over again? Why did you do that to yourself?

Another almost half for Rasmussenmp on a TM, and Mike did 10 too! Is there a TM distance competition going on?? Mike, best to stay out of that non-existent dog house, regardless of the weather.

So, instead of "Where is Waldo?" we have "Where is Tet?"

Nice job of finding the best routes for your 11.4 yesterday, Evanflein. Nice pacing too!

Here is a photo of the skaters on the pond across the street from our house:

On Saturday, about 12-15 kids with shovels and snow blowers cleared the near and far rinks, plus a path around the perimeter of the pond. It was a gorgeous day yesterday, and we were glad to see so many people enjoying the ice.

It rained overnight last night and even though it warmed to above freezing, I was worried about black ice on the roads this morning. So, preferring to preserve my butt, I stayed in. We're supposed to have a high of 50 today, and a high of 17 tomorrow. Welcome to winter...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Cool picture Jay.  That reminds me of winter days when I was growing up; playing hockey on the local pond.

I'd like to run a few races this winter/spring before I move north.  But I way out of shape.  On Saturday I ran 8 miles at 9 minute per mile pace, and while the effort felt comfortable, the HR logged showed otherwise - more like GA effort with parts at tempo HR.  So there is a lot of work to be done to get in some sort of running condition.  3 recovery miles on Sunday, then 5 miles EZ today.  The HR was in a better range today so I paced it right.

I won't even mention the cold front we're expecting to come through late afternoon today.  Cold weather expected here but nothing like what you all have been enduring the past few days.  I am constantly amazed at what you all do in the winter.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...Happy B'Day dave///.........us January Babies have some Rough B'Day Weather.........

=========

well,

we actually made it to 2-DEGREES so not as bad as predicted. tops out at 10-degrees today

going in to work in an hour

it's

Odd to now be in that Age Group where FALLING can put me out of action.

been padding

a StoneBruise on my Left Heel

to Compliment

the Bad Hip on my Right Leg.................meh........

until I can Walk into the YMCA to poolrun,

just

gonna Rest the lower extremeties ( a Novel Concept for me)

.......................GoodRunning Guys....................wrap a scarf around your Nose and Mouth.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

((( Tom W))) You've been through a rough patch lately. Take care of yourself.

When's the "official" move date Bill? Hope it's not any time soon!

Jay - your picture makes me want to grab my ice skates and go for a spin. Oh wait. It's -16° with a -50 wind chill here this morning. Think I'll pass until it warms up a little.

Happy belated birthday Dave.

Enjoy that warm weather Erika.

You take the best vacations, Carolyn. Enjoy these last few days.

6 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning. I was WAY past more miles than degrees, unless you go into negative temps. Then I was 10 miles short.  As cold as it is, I can't believe they closed schools today, and tomorrow is supposed to be just as bad, or worse. So they'll probably be cancelled tomorrow as well. They never cancelled school when I was a kid. And yes, that was a LONG time ago and maybe there weren't as many working mothers then. But if they did this in Alaska, those kids would never get an education! How do they handle busing and kids that have to walk when temps are so far below zero Erika? Just curious.

Anyway, no school means all the kids will get shipped to the Y to get rid of their "wiggles" this afternoon. It should be crazy busy while I'm working. Looks like the whole country is under a deep freeze today. Stay warm everyone.

Slo

Jlynne...Were you at the game yesterday?

My youngest (DD) turned 16 yesterday. Where does the time go?

No run for me today...double digit negative temps with stiff winds. I don't have to prove crap to nobody and I have no plans on doing so. I'll hop on the indoor spin bike.

Stay warm and safe all !

Mariposai

Ohhh the Joyful Marathoner Tetsujin, he did it again! Another joyful marathon in Japan. How is the weather there?

Jay, that picture is so cool! That must be so much fun.

Spareribs, I hope you feel better soon.

Bill, when is the moving date? It is hard to believe that you guys are having a cold front in Florida.

Erika, I am always impressed with your pace while running on snow. I know only one pace on snow: slow.

Pirate, take care of that a StoneBruise on your Left Heel

Jlynne, your avatar always make me smile. Good job on the 6 miler today.

Slo-Hand, happy birthday to your DD.

Well it was not that cold here this morning, 16F when I woke up. I could have gone for a run, but I needed to finish up the scarf I was knitting for my son Daniel. Today is "Three Kings' Day" and it is our tradition that our kids get a present from the Wise Kings. Scarf is done, presents are wrapped and now it is time to go to work.

Speaking of work, my DH finally went back to work today after having three weeks of vacation (one of those use of loose it type of situation). He did spoiled me by organizing the linen closet and the food pantry. It was fun coming home for lunch and having my food warm, ready for me.

Ohh, I did run 6 miles yesterday which put to 50 miles for last week. I like it.

Enjoy the day!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

TM run in the basement.  5.5 miles.  I have a friend who likes a show called Fringe, so I looked it up on Netflix and starting episode 1 today.  There are 100 episodes on Netflix, so if the series is any good I am set for a long, cold winter.

TammyinGP

Good Morning. Love that photo. I also spent many winters preparing an ice rink from a frozen pond. okay, my dad would prep it for me. I would skate.

Happy Belated Birthday Dave!

I'm enjoying the photos you are posting Carolyn!

Half of my household was happy about the 49er win. That would be my DH, a lifelong Niner fan. DS was not so happy. I remained neutral.  My  husband had all his Niner gear out. He was wearing his Niner tie (with his sweatshirt), Niner dog tags. had his Niner football out.

I'm registered for the Avenue of the Giants half marathon. I don't see myself getting in marathon shape in 4 mos. I have another torture session followed by laser therapy on my calf today. No run yet in 2014. but have gotten in some walks. and will go the gym for some ellipticalling after my appt.

Tammy

I have basically recovered from yesterday's skate across a 10k race.  I heard from a friend who went out on the course and finished it about 20 prior to the race start that at the time the roads were in reasonable shape.  But, the freezing rain just hit at the worst possible moment, about 10 minutes prior to the race, and trashed the course.  There is no way the RD could have known how bad conditions would be prior to the start.  These things happen and there is no use getting all worked up about it.  FWIW, coastwalker the RD posted on FB about how these were the worst race conditions the series has ever seen.

Here is a picture of me that pretty much sums up how I felt at the end of yesterday's ice race.

Finish at the Boston Buildup 10k.

Dave59 I hope your TV watching goes better than mine did this morning.  For some reason the DVR and my TV were not talking to each other.  Post elliptical I fixed it, but it took a full reboot of everything.

TammyinGP good luck with your training and the race.

evanflein I am always impressed in your ability to go out in temperatures that would likely land me on a TM.  Not only that you even manage to call them "so good!"

tetsujin209 I hear tailwinds work even better if you are on roller blades.  Just a thought. 

Mike E I do not like it either!  Maybe we ought to move in with breger1 for the winter?

C-R and rasmussenmp 13 on a TM, harsh man, harsh!  Impressive though.

Jlynne those temperatures are so cold I cannot imagine trying to get kids out for school bus rides and the like.  I hope it warms up soon.

stumpy77 we get hit with the deep freeze tomorrow.  I am really hoping the rain from today evaporates before then or the roads are going to create long lines of bumper cars.

enkephalin if you "wing it" maybe mariposai can lend you a set?

deez4boyz I wonder if there is a market for a GPS watch that only displays numbers ending in 0? Hmm . . .

CNYrunner really out in 1° temperatures!    You are way braver than me!  Maybe you and evanflein ought to start running together?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Nice pic Jay.

-30 windchill here today so I only shoveled for about 30 minutes. Hands couldn't take it but the rest of my was good and I only had on two tech layers and a jacket. I think the new face mask I got helped. It was designed for snowboarders and really works well. I am actually tempted to run 1 mile to get my more miles than degrees club badge. Its only ten minutes. Nah opted for 7 on the TM at lunch.

Happy birthday to Slo's DD.

TomW - I sure hope '14 lets you heal up.

TwoCat - you did look like your "fun meter" was pegged in that photo. Way to tough it out and not get hurt.

Happy birthday Dave.

DH sounds like a keeper Mariposai. Honestly in 21 years of wonderful marriage I have never organized DW's closets. Let alone my own. I prefer piles. 

Stay warm and safe folks. Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Jay, I love that photo. Like others, it brings back a lot of memories from my childhood but also from the first house I bought in Nashua, which abutted a park with a skating rink.

Last winter I digitized our family’s old photos and slides and noticed that we had almost no pictures of my siblings and I playing hockey, even though we did it for countless hours both on the ice and playing street hockey. One of the rare exceptions was this picture with my father on our backyard rink. I’m about 3 ½ and I didn’t even get my first skates until later that year.

Twocat—that sounds nasty. Glad you survived okay.

No freeze here…yet. Cold rain this morning so I held off running until it cleared up midday. 7 miles in balmy 40-degree weather.  Tomorrow should be interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Cute picture, Tramps!

Hey Jay, sounds like you've got some warming coming if they're talking rain? What does that do to that pond?

Jlynne, around here we cancel school for rain! Seriously! Freezing rain causes so much trouble for us, the roads become treacherous. We don't cancel school for cold temperatures though. When I was a kid, we did have some school closures when it was seriously cold (like, -40 and -50 for days...real temp not windchill) because the ice fog was so bad and the visibility was just about zero. The school bus company said no buses on the roads in those conditions, so schools would close. I guess that's about the same issue now, if kids can't get to school and home safely, schools close.

The forecast here was for 21° today, so of course I happily packed up my running bag for a lunchtime run. Well, that would be now. And it's barely 10° and I didn't bring the right clothes for that temperature! Rats. I could go later, I guess, but it'll be dark and I didn't bring my light. I do have a reflective vest though, so what the heck, I might just go out after my afternoon meeting wraps up. I just don't feel like a treadmill run when it is still pretty mild out, and later this week and next week will be cold again!

King of PhotoShop

Long time no see!  Been sick and still am.  No running to report. haven't run since Wednesday. Walked 2 miles on Sunday with Lucy and that's it.

So I get up today and it's 20 out and I pack to get out of Big D and fly to Springfield, MO. And it's worse here! Snow all over the place, a vicious wind and even colder temps.  The lobby of my hotel is freezing as they can't keep the place warm.  Ho ho ho, JTWILI!!

Great pic Jay. Reminds me of my childhood.

Also great pic of TC; looking like a pleasant walk in the park.

Thank you Mariposai. I hope I get well too. I have two days of training programs ahead of me and the audience does not need to listen to the sounds coming out of me right now, hacking and sneezing.

Spareribs

Love the pond hockey/ice skating photos! What a beautiful view Jay and I love the baby Tramps photo---adorable! It's weird not to be a hockey mom after all the years of that, but the kiddo loves running indoor track and I can't say I miss the cold rinks or hearing the thunk sounds of my kiddo's body against the boards. We are all still fans though and with the Olympics coming up soon, even more so.

Feel better soon Ribs. Ugh...so hard to be sick in the first place and then when you are on the road. I find the training sessions I lead exhilarating in that the audience gets into it and learns and responds, and yet also so draining. Get as much sleep as you can at least after each session.

Twocat, I actually prefer the freeze-face runs like yesterday in 1 degrees with bright sun and no wind compared to today's jaunt in driving rain and through icy puddles. Our "warm-up weather" is over and temps are plunging again. It was a whiplash weather day as we woke up to rain, a two-hour school delay and 33 degrees. The temps rose to 56 for about two hours and have been steadily plunging since about 2 pm. Iron J and I kept texting each other about finding a spot between the bands of rain and then decided to just go for it. 11 miles at 8:40 pace of sloshing, puddle jumping, melting snowbank hurdling and we laughed most of the way. This is going to freeze up tonight into quite the mess, but we don't have the wind chills that Slo_Hand or JLynne, or C-R, or Mike E et al are contending with, so we'll just roll with winter's hand. Glad we got the run in and it may be time to hit the indoor track tomorrow. Tonight's low is supposed to be 5 degrees, yee haw!

wild, Thailand sounds great.  Twocat, tough, icy, race.  Jay, that's a neat picture of the kids on the pond.  Slo, happy birthday to your daughter.  Tramps, I love the picture of you and your dad on your ice rink with hockey sticks.

Nice long runs for mari, Holly, CNY, deez, C-R, Rasmussen, Mike, and evan.

This morning, I woke up to about 12 inches of snow and there hadn't been any plows in the area yet.  It was 8 miles on the TM at an 11:06 pace.

After I recovered from my run, I shoveled the snow from our sidewalks, porches, and garage apron for about an hour in temps in mid teen temps.  After recovering from that, I borrowed my neighbor's tractor and plowed the driveway for about an hour.  The temperature had dropped quite a bit, there was a little more new snow, and the wind picked up.  An hour later when I went out, I was glad I had the 4 wheel drive pickup to get back in the driveway.  The temperature has now dropped to 0° and is supposed to hit -10° tonight with pretty strong winds.  At this point, I don't think I like Michigan.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS