Masters Running

Happy Labor Day Runs and Races and not. (Read 551 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Labor Day runners, racers, and all who wish they were running.

With the six hour circuit of the Skyline Trail between Paradise Lodge at 5,400 feet and the start of permanent snowfields where Pebble Creek emerges below Camp Muir at 8,000 feet, it's the Pacific Northwest's equivalent of the day trek up Mt. Fuji I did on Wednesday.  Rare rose-colored-glasses Labor Day weekend made it worth missing the opening of the fall running season at a favorite local Labor Day half mary.  Hope everyone else makes it up with their runs and races.

Paradise Flower Meadows, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington ...

National Park Visitor's Center - 5,400 feet

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet that is gorgeous...wow

30 minutes out in the pouring rain..wow do I love to run in the rain. I always feel so alive and can run so much faster...

Read the book The Road yesterday..Cormac's book...kind of a depressing read other than a father's love for his son...but if you put yourself in their situation you could see the same or similiar results...

Enjoy Labour Day..my friends.

Time to make som snickerdoodles...yummy.

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

...love the pictures tet//.........and Nice RainRunning tall I love it too........

=======

...but to

quote tramps' poem..

......''And some days we were Floating''

....hit the trails in pouring rain, drving winds,  muddy footing, and flooding at the low sections..........IT WAS GREAT//////

had fixed another set of crutches 2-inches higher for dirt running.

then I started off

NoTime

NoDistance

NoEffort

and

you could Run Forever.......

everything felt Natural, the strides, the breathing, even my old RunningPosition felt Normal

29min of TOTAL BLISS///////

and then

I could feel the impact

on the hip joints and had to Walk a CoolDown.

but NoPain.......

......................good running guys.............Wishing You a Peak Running Experience Today........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Great pictures Tet.  I was in Seattle once for some meetings and could see Mount Rainer from the hotel window.  I'd love to go back some day and see it up close.

I spent some of my college years working part time at a grocery store in Yellow Springs Ohio.  There was a college in that town (not mine) that was filled with leftover hippies from the 60's.  They had a pretty bad body odor and some of the people I worked with used to try and sneak bars of soap into their grocery carts.  That is how I smelled a couple hours after my run today.  Not sure why it was so bad.  Maybe the shirt was a cheap knock off of an actual "high tech" shirt.

But I digress. Roll eyes

I ran the 39th annual Labor Day Run at the Chippewa Nature Center in my home town of Midland.  It was my 7th time for the race.  This was the first race I ran in Michigan after moving here in August of 2001.  There is a 5k and a 10k, but I always run the 5.  It was a beautiful day for running.  About 58°, cloudy, and windy (but I don't mind the wind.)  

I was feeling unusually good at pre-race time.  No stomach issues, or wishing I could make one last bathroom stop.  I was feeling so good that I was worried that today would be the day I actually drop dead during a race.  I did a little warm-up, but it was a little too early and not enough to be good and warmed up.  I lined up a few rows from the front because the first mile is on a rail trail that can be crowded.

To stay out of the crowds, I took off a little faster than I was comfortable with.  I haven't been doing a lick of speed work and it showed in how hard ot was to move fast.  I hit the first mile in 7:02 where we turned off onto the roads while the 10k continued on the trail.  My heart didn't like going from a total rest state to an all out sprint so it was going, <tt>'hol-y crap, hol-y crap, hol-y crap'</tt>.  I couldn't tell if it was skipping a beat or adding an extra one.  I tried to give it a little rest during that second mile which was 7:25.  But then I was feeling good again, and I wasn't winded at all, so I picked it back up.  The 3rd mile was 7:03.

Normally, I try to just maintain my pace to the end, but I saw 2 people up ahead that could possibly be in my age group so I went as fast as I could over the last few hundred yards.  (Final .1 was in 39 seconds.)

I was 2 of 10 in my age group (50-54).  I was glad to place for the first time at this race because the awards actually have the event name, age group, and place on it.  Everything else I've won just says "age group award winner"  (not that I am rolling in awards or anything.)

Those 2 guys I passed in the last stretch weren't in my age group.  The first one was in the age group below and he took 2nd in the 45-49.  The other one, who didn't let me get by easily, was in the age group above and took 2nd in the 55-59 age group.  So there were 3 of us second place finishers all in a bunch.

The 9 and under winner passed me with a little less than a mile to go with one shoe untied. Big grin

The female overall winner finished in 21:24 which is my exact 5k pr I set back in June.

My watch was 22:08.  Official time listed as 22:10.  This was my 3rd best 5k as an adult.

Great racing Dave!!  Congrats on the AG placing and great finish time.  (And especially for not dropping dead in the race - you would be missed!)

Sometimes I wish I lived closer to Tall's kitchen.

Nice pic's Tet.

I did an easy 6 mile recovery run in the rain this morning.  Much cooler (64F) and more enjoyable than the recent humidity.  The rain nixed a planned bike ride with a tri friend for the afternoon so I had to read and nap instead.

Skip

SteveP

Sweet pictures Tet

I agree Tall. 

29min of TOTAL BLISS///////

and then

I could feel the impact

on the hip joints and had to Walk a CoolDown.

but NoPain.......

There have been a lot of great posts. This one is over the top.

You ROCK Dave!

Skip's easy 6 is probably my crazy fast.

3.1+ hilly miles with Avenger Doggie and 50(?) of our closest friends. There were a few other dogs. Only one in a cape though. I need to find results. We got 3rd 44-59 AG. Our niece was RD. When we crossed the finish line, I asked if the course was long. She said yeah. It's not certified, so it's not that big of a deal.30:33. Only two people had a sub 24.

SteveP

#artbydmcbride

Hooray for Tomwhite blissful running!  Smile

Runners run

...thanks ilene,

you and SteveP have Made my Day on several occassions......

so have 

every Runner on this board, now that I think about it.

it's a GoodGroup.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Beautiful location Tet!!

Wow Dave.. nice race. way to push hard. Amazing what a cold front can do for speed! Enjoy the cooler weather!

I ran at 11 am and it was only 59°!  Totally awesome.  I've been wanting to run up and down the only significant hill in Rochester so today was perfect. 4 miles in 34:52 (8:24) with keeping pace under 8:30 up that hill.  My legs felt totally fresh today after the 22 yesterday. A good sign for sure.

40's tonight Shocked

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

Some one was kind enough to share this file from their phone.I hope it works

This is every race we're in together. At races he's a little more worked up than normal.

One arm is longer than the other.

SteveP

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

LOL Steve.. get set, go!  Guess he understands!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

OM  - fantastic PR HM race you had the other day!! - I enjoyed reading about it probably as much as you did running it!

Dave,  I don't think feeling good before a race is a sign of an approaching heart attack!

Steve - that was so funny - you need roller blades then he can just pull you along!

I was up early and ready to run, but the achilles was still hurting.  So I walked the dog instead, and it was hurting by the end.  I've never had an achilles issue before, so I need to read up on it - but I'm kind of afraid to.  I didn't even do anything - an easy 4 miler 2 days ago was all.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Steve - that was so funny - you need roller blades then he can just pull you along!

I tried that with my grandmother's dog once. I really thought it sucked until the beast saw a squirrel running through a yard. Then the situation deteriorated.  Friday Avenger Doggie came out of a creek and was shaking himself dry. I yelled, "Ready! Set! Go!" and when he turned and bolted, he ran into a tree.

SteveP

Maniac 505

I tried that with my grandmother's dog once. I really thought it sucked until the beast saw a squirrel running through a yard. Then the situation deteriorated.  Friday Avenger Doggie came out of a creek and was shaking himself dry. I yelled, "Ready! Set! Go!" and when he turned and bolted, he ran into a tree.

LOL

I bet he thinks you did that on purpose.  shame on you!  How dare you put that tree there.   I love avenger doggie.  

Weather has been pretty much perfect here.   this was a rest day,  10 planned for tomorrow,  back to work Wednesday AM.

wildchild

Carolyn

Tomwhite, yay for the blissful run!   You have the most distinctive style - do you write everything that way?

Tet, thanks for the gorgeous photos. I want to run there someday!

{{{{{Enkie's achilles}}}}}

Dave, congrats on 2nd in AG, and nice RR, even though it was buried in the daily.

SteveP, congrats on 3rd in AG.  How did Avenger Doggie place?

Easy 4 miles around the block with my furry running buddies. Not quite as cool as yesterday, but still very comfortable for me.  Not so much for the furry friends, though.  Two days ago when we ran at 50° they had noticeably more energy than today at 60°.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.