Masters Running

Tuesdaily - 12/24 - Merry Christmas Eve (Read 35 times)

Dave59

Good morning Masters.

Great picture yesterday Mike. Did Ryan pick up running because you were running, or did he instinctively know he was gifted in that manner?

I hit the gym early.  TM warmup and some weights.  12 miles to 1000.  Even with the travels the next 7 days I should be able to do that (as long as I stay healthy.)  Glad it's not 30 or 40 to go in the final week.

Have a good holiday everyone.

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave and everyone!

Congrats on getting so close to 1000, Dave!

DW is doing a lot better today. She went to the doc, just to make sure there wasn't any long-term/serious damage, and there wasn't. She'll be sore for a while, but we/she can deal with that.

I don't have time to comment on everyone's post from yesterday, which is disappointing. But you all seem to be in good cheer, which is great. Mike, that IS a great photo of you and Ryan, even if you have a foot on the ground...

6.9 racewalking miles on skim ice this morning. We had rain yesterday and last evening, and it was just at 32F this morning. I kept trying to find dry spots on the road, but wasn't all that successful. So it wasn't a great workout, but I was still glad to be out there.

Gotta go get a fire going in the wood stove, bring in some more wood, and get coffee and breakfast ready for our company.

Have a greta Tuesday. Don't let any of your holiday prep stuff get you tense. People around you will have a good time whether stuff is wrapped, baked, decorated or not. So relax and enjoy the moments.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

WTG Dave.  Sounds good for your 1000.  I've made getting mine a little more challenging--had a tooth extracted yesterday and one of the instructions was not to do anything strenuous for the next 72 hours.  Considering I have 29.8 miles to go and 7 days, I may reconsider those instructions and start a little earlier.  I know 30 miles in a week is not a lot, but a bit more than I've been averaging lately.  At least the weather looks promising.

Jay--very glad DW is just sore and not hurt.  Good thing you have such a nice spot to store your wood.

Merry Christmas eve to all.  I know you've all been REALLY good this year, so hope Santa was watching and not the NSA.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin' guys//............. [[jay's DW]]]

============

flurries, but clear driving tonite and tomorrow

..34mprnb

with steps

..........actually

had another PoolRunner woking out,

he got ahead of me

and

I noticed I had PickedUp my Pace to pass him

(Old Habits Die Hard)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Safe Driving to those on the Road

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Dave—Yay on the 1000 miles!

Jay—glad DW’s feeling better. A little scary how a simple routine activity can go bad.

Stumpy—sounds like a great excuse to couch surf Christmas and enjoy yourself!

Mike—Great pic. Like Enke, I wondered “molar milers”? Also, I noticed Ryan’s off the ground while you’re foot is firmly planted. Just sayin’

TW—competitive pool running. Who knew?

Did someone say “fitness slacking”? I’m there. A little too hectic lately but I keep telling myself that normalcy will return by mid-January or so. Until then I try to get a short run in now and again, like today’s 5 miler. Back to some normal temps after that crazy weekend in the 70s.

TriBee's having some complicated back problems that will keep us quiet and at home this holiday.   It's been ongoing for some time (which is why she dropped from the iron-distance to the half-tri this Fall) and at the doctor's suggestion she's been getting massage therapy and even acupuncture.  But it has really flared up painfully in the last few days leading to an MRI and arthrogram, which won't get read until after christmas.  She's on some pain meds for now, which help, but she's disappointed by the setback despite her best efforts.  Her docs seem a little perplexed about what's going on so hopefully the new imaging might offer some clues.

Hope everyone has a great christmas.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Don't let any of your holiday prep stuff get you tense. People around you will have a good time whether stuff is wrapped, baked, decorated or not. So relax and enjoy the moments.

Jay

+1!  Can we add "whether your house is clean or not" to the list?    Thankfully, the only company we're having this year is my sister, and the two of us made a pact back when we were kids that we wouldn't have to clean our houses when we visited each other as grown-ups.   And I actually DID spend many hours cleaning, and the house looks WAY better than before, but it's not perfect.   Only half the dining room table is visible, and the other half still has piles of DH's paperwork...

Dave and Stumpy, good luck on the 1000 miles! And it looks like Leslie and Byll are within "spittin' distance" of 1000, too!   Maybe you four could have a race? 

Mike, what a greta picture of you and Ryan!  Looks like he might like running with you, too!

Hugs to Tribee and to Jay's DW, and anyone else with injuries.  Merry Christmas Eve, masters!

ETA:  Oh, yeah, I ran 6 miles yesterday - wearing shorts!  (down in the flatlands, not up here in the mtns)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave and Stumpy, good luck on the 1000 miles! And it looks like Leslie and Byll are within "spittin' distance" of 1000, too!   Maybe you four could have a race? 

Methinks Byll is going to lose this race!  With 28.5 miles to go it is still possible but unlikely.

I got to watching the Heat game last night fully expecting the Heat to take charge early and I'd be in bed by halftime - which woulda made it likely I'd run 6 or 7 of the remaining 28.5 miles this morning.  But Atlanta decided to make 3-pointers from absolutely everywhere (from the parking lot it seemed) and I ended up having to watch the whole game, including Overtime, which the Heat eventually squeaked out and won.

So I didn't make it up and didn't run.  Yikes to the 1,000 mile goal.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Posting from work so I will make this quick…

Dave – you can do it!

Jay – good news about DW.

Stumpy – Oddly, I have never been told not to run after a tooth extraction.  Maybe your dentist is just extra cautious.

TomWhite – what is mpmb?

{{{Tribee’s back}}}

Carolyn – thanks for the add on about the clean house…I just don’t have time to get it in the shape I would like it to be in for company, but at least I hope to get DD’s detritus picked up and at least tossed into her room.

Frozen ground, then 2 days of warmth and hard rain, made for a 10-year-high level of the river.  I have not seen this much flooding before, not just the river but in the fields and low areas.  Today we are back in the deep freeze, 10°(feels like -2), so I wonder what the impact will be if all this standing water freezes over.

I have been slacking on my weights workouts lately, so I tried for a better effort today, which I will probably feel tomorrow, but there it is.

45 minutes of weights and core, followed by 2.5 miles on the TM in my V5Fs.

I have tomorrow off and am taking vacation for Thursday and Friday, so I am looking forward to a 5-day weekend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

This seems to be the time of year when people make note of their miles to date and some strive to run a ton of miles in the final week to make some goal or make the number come out even or to the next higher hundred.  I just looked at mine after reading Dave's post and I'm at 1,621 for the year, so there is no hope of running 1,700. Whew!

In my late 60's now, I'm seeing the annual total decrease a little bit each year and that is probably a good thing, meaning I'm not slavishly trying to do something I cannot do, or that isn't right for me.

That stabbing pain in my calf on Sunday was probably a bad cramp from running bare-legged in low 30's temps in a tough wind.  I walked 2+ miles this morning and in the middle of it I jogged a half mile very slowly and felt nothing, so I am sure I'm okay.  The hardest part of my run was having to listen to my South African RP complaining about the cold. It's 27, sunny and no wind, which in my mind is a beautiful day.

For Christmas Eve dinner I'm making a simple shrimp and rice casserole, so easy to fix and allow family time.  My youngest son Hudson has to work at the super market til closing at 7:45 so we'll save a plate for him.

For those of you who celebrate Christmas, I hope it is a wonderful day for you tomorrow with friends and family, and if you are going through a tough time right now just know that I am wishing you the best as well. Spareribs

mrrun

7+ miles this am -  i'm around 50 short of 1,000 based on intermittent recording of my guesstimates of runs

Holly = i was told not to run after dental work and we had a 15K race scheduled.  henrun ran the race & i ran & turned back after a couple of miles when they told me i was the first female - i had to say i was a DNF - the closest i ever got to first overall.

((tribee)) - henrun and another friend of ours had good luck with a physiatrist (sp??) for back problems

((Jay DW and all other injured))

mike - great pic

enjoy today, tomorrow, and every day!

marj

sunkid

Hi all!

Just stopping in to say hi and let you know I am still alive, albeit just barely (he says, exaggerating greatly).

Congrats on the 1000 miles this year, Dave and Stumpy!

Glad to hear your DW is better, coastwalker. Supporting a spouse with medical issues is something I unfortunately know a bit about, but all in all, we are doing great still.

Spareribs: I will make my goal no matter what (21 miles missing according to my log, but I haven't entered what I ran last week yet). 

Yeah, maybe not "no matter what", I am just starting to feel a bit better from the head cold I got two days ago. Ran an easy 4 miles then (about 800ft elevation change at 6000ft altitude though, I will call that a VO2max ) but had a feeling I was coming down with something. No matter, the San Jacinto mountains are beautiful, a little sprinkling of snow left here and there, and the sun is shining brightly. DW, DS, and I are putting the feet up for the week and I am happy with what I accomplished this year, running wise. The 30 miles I logged in 2012 were the first in 6 years or so and all I got to complain about is that I won't be able to race full out come next Sunday.

Merry Christmas everyone!

...holly//.........it's m pr nb>>>>>>__ _minutes pool run, no belt

because

'' mpmb ''would make no sense

...assuming '' mprnb ''  does......

[[[[ tribee]]]]]

evanflein

...Only half the dining room table is visible, and the other half still has piles of DH's paperwork...

Ha! That's situation normal at our house! Although I've actually made headway on the de-clutter project (ongoing...) and have two good sized boxes ready for goodwill to pick up on Friday. I hope to have at least one more of other stuff I find hiding in closets by then, too.

Glad DW will be ok, Jay, that sounds like a scary fall she had. Good for you on getting out there on the icy roads!

Tramps, sorry to hear about TriBee's back... as someone who suffers chronic back issues, all I can say is make sure she gets some good core work in. Strengthening the core is not hard, really, and doesn't have to be an exhaustive workout, but makes such a hugh difference for back support. I am slacking in core work lately, and can sure feel it in my lower back (so I guess I need to take my own advice!).

Glad to hear your calf is good to go, Ribs. And your attitude about effort, recovery and mileage is so good to hear. It really helps me be kinder to myself as I try to achieve goals and targets I've had from years ago. Time to let some of that go, right?

I had a great year this year. Not really any PRs that I can think of, but I had an awesome summer of running with lots of 50 and 60 mile weeks, 200+ mile months and great age group wins with no injuries. Passed my 2,000 mile goal weeks ago, and now flirting with 2,200. But... I may not make that and that's ok. Never was in the plans to begin with, and I've been finding too many other things to do besides run, especially with the weather we've been having.

Speaking of which, it was -2 at the house this morning, and -20 on the way in to work. Weatherunderground said it was -20 "feels like -32" with the 4 mph wind from the NE. We could see -30's tonight and into tomorrow, with a "high" of -22 for Christmas Day. Gotta love it. (It's warmer at our house because of temperature inversions, so unless we go into town we don't see much of the really cold temps at home.)

C-R

Wow. Very busy in here today.

Nice pic Mike. I enjoy running with my son as well and playing golf with all three. There is something neat about those sports where we can share the moment.

Tried running yesterday but only made it a mile. I thought I was a bit warm, well it was a little over 100. Ugh. Better today so I got my 13.1 on the treadmill. I have one of those goofy year end goals but it was for the whole month. I may make it yet, but its been fun working towards it. Getting ready for Mass this afternoon and a nice dinner with family. AT THEIR HOUSE. Yay. So cleaning is not an issue although laundry is.

Merry Christmas everyone. Peace to you all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/