Masters Running

Sunday 4-3 (Read 40 times)

I'm never really sure whether to count this........

was taken AGAINST MY WILL to go Purse Shopping with Pickles

after

she bought a purse,

took back said purse,

exchanged

it for ANOTHER purse

and

probably 3-other things

I logged

52-min at a Shopping Outlet (while waiting for her)

on concrete, which is why I'm counting it

++++++++++

also

any Flight Tips??

I'm going out to see Crazy Brother end of month for Hiking Adventure

and I haven't flown in a while

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

any Flight Tips??

I pray a lot.

I pray a lot.

...got that covered,

one flight years ago was so rough I should have gone into The Priesthood after I got off.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

Isn't "Crazy Brother " redundant?

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Isn't "Crazy Brother " redundant?

I debated with myself all dang morning about whether or not to do the 5-mile race I had signed up for. It was snowing this morning, the temp was hovering around freezing, and the winds were going to be at 20-25 mph by race time, with gusts over 40. Grousing every step of the way, I got dressed and packed a bag with clothing options. DW asked if I was going, and I told her I'll at least head up there and see what conditions were like. 3/4 of the way there, I realized I left my Garmin home, so if I raced, it would be nekkid and splitless. I got there and sat in my car for a while, watching the wind blow, and debating with myself. Then I got out to get loose a bit. When I got back in the car, I wondered if I should just head home and go for a workout. Then I took off the wind pants I had over my tights, and the decision was made. We had a bit of a tailwind in the first mile, which made for what felt like a good start. Most of miles 2 & 3 were into a heck of a head wind, and at times it was all I could do to walk into it, forgetting about turnover and speed. We caught a bit of a tail wind again for the rest of 3 and most of 4, and I tried to recapture the time I knew I had lost. Of course, the last quarter of 4 and all of 5 were back into the wind. People in front of me were struggling a bit more than I, so I focused on picking them off, rather than thinking about the wind. I finished in 53:19 for a 10:40 pace, and was 9/12 in my AG (no walking div). So, now it's back to reality - I'm going grocery shopping, and then bringing in some more firewood because it is going to be quite chilly around here for the first half of the week.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

wow Jay! That's some speedy walking in any conditions, let alone awful weather conditions like that.

now may not be the best time to mention is brilliant sunshine, warming up to mid 70's or so. think I'll get a few of my garden beds ready for planting this afternoon.

since yesterday's 7 miles were the longest I've run in many months, i thought I might be a bit sore, especially considering the route I ran had some long inclines, but I'm not sore, so I guess that means I should probably go for another shorter run today.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Me too Jay.

I can't count how many times I've vowed never to run races

in weather that I end up running in but I still always do.

In fact, as I've come to realize, there's a sort of perverse

attraction of foul weather adding to the challenge.  

RUNNING - 2 miles to Mary’s Falls and back (6am / 42-degrees)
                Well, I think I’ve figured out how to avoid the frequent frustration of living in the Pacific Northwest with so many events of interest being conflicted out by same day/weekend scheduling, e.g. this weekend’s Yakima River Canyon Marathon, 5K run-and-walk over the new floating bridge before it opens later this month, Emerald City Century, etc. :  just take advantage of winter fares to fly up to GS-land for another two mile run-and-back to Mary’s Falls this morning before searching the coastal low tide pools with GS later in the morning for hermit crabs, blenny eels, sculpins, etc. and swimming pool time in the afternoon.
                NPR PUZZLE MASTER
                I"ve never come close before but, though I think it is more technically and scientifically correct than the “ruler” answer he chose, on today’s edition, Will Shortz nevertheless credited the “clownfish” response I submitted to last week’s puzzle challenge as most “ingenious.”

Weekly Puzzle Challenge for March 27, 2016
                Poets of Boston: A Collection of Forgotten Poems, 1789-1820.
                It has a chapter devoted to puzzles in poetic form.
                Most of the puzzles are explained —
                but one puzzle never had a printed answer.
                It's a two-line verse from the Nov. 12, 1803,
                issue of the Boston Weekly Magazine:

I am both man and woman too,
                And go to school as good boys do.

ps tom: get a grandson

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

TW--you probably won't travel enough to make the TSA PreCheck worthwhile ($85 for 5 years), but it gets you through the security lines a lot quicker without having to take liquids out or shoes off.  Most decent sized airports have the special lanes now.  I like anything that gets me through security and on the plane first.  (Early boarding, seat upgrades, etc) Of course, all of these cost extra, so your pain tolerance for the cost may vary.  I also have the advantage of NOT having to pay for most of these, since it's company travel.

speaking of which, my flight out tonight has already been delayed an hour and a half, most likely due to the lovely weather that jay mentioned.  Means a late arrival at the hotel tonight.

And even further speaking of the weather, I didn't  have a race to inspire me, so when I saw 2" of slush on every paved surface this morning, I broke down and went to the gym for 3.5 miles of TM joy.  definitely out of practise--I forgot to bring my MP3 player.  So I did intervals to stay awake.  did get up to 8 mph for one 1/4 mile stretch.

Nice racing, Jay.   That's an excellent pace for the wind that we have.

Good long run, Tammy.  but beware the DOMS effect.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

so if I raced, it would be nekkid

That's some pretty good nekkid racing, especially given the conditions!

TomWhite - I find that if I grip the arm rest really, really tight, it makes the plane fly better. 

11 miles for me today in 27-33 degrees.  We had the big winds yesterday, so I saw a lot of trees down and sticks in the road and path.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay - that is great racing in terrible conditions.  Wow, I would have bailed!

As Tammy mentioned, we are having nice weather out this way.

I cut my grass yesterday, and swept all the conifer needles up from the driveway and even got the hedge trimmer out but alas, never used it.

Today I went to my beloved horse trails and did 3 loops. 12 miles.  I treated the first loop as a warm up, the second as a warm up and the last as the real deal and tried not to walk too much and keep good form.  My knee was totally fine - very happy!  Some other aches and pains though, as I am really just beginning to ramp up weekly mileage.  24.8 for the week, 20.4 of that in the last 3 days.  Ouch.   Icicng various parts now.

Going to make a trip to REI soon and dump some money down on a Garmin.  I need it for these long runs - I don't want to run even 0.1 mile extra if I don't have to!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tammy, congrats to your son and his tennis doubles partner.  steve, nice pictures of Tag in the woods.  Jay, impressive 5 mile race in nasty conditions.

The comments about the TSA pre checked list when flying is interesting.  When we flew to AZ last week, our tickets were marked prechecked and we've not done anything we are aware of to get on the list.  We're baffled.

Nice long runs for Holly and enke.

I continued this weeks pattern with two walks on the TM.  This morning,it was 3 miles at 13:44/mi and this afternoon, 2 more miles at 13:33/mi.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS.

mrrun

NPR PUZZLE MASTER
                          I"ve never come close before but, though I think it is more technically and scientifically correct than the “ruler” answer he chose, on today’s edition, Will Shortz nevertheless credited the “clownfish” response I submitted to last week’s puzzle challenge as most “ingenious.”

Tet - that's an awesome answer.  Heard it on the radio this morning and didn't know it was OUR TET!

Ran 8 in that lovely weather that Jay & Stumpy mentioned - very wet feet at the end.

in my family it's "crazy sister" - she lives in Berkeley CA - enough said!

TSA pre - I used to get it occasionally & Henry never did.  We finally spent $85 and it's worth every penny.

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The comments about the TSA pre checked list when flying is interesting.  When we flew to AZ last week, our tickets were marked prechecked and we've not done anything we are aware of to get on the list.  We're baffled.

They give it to people semi-randomly to try and intice more to sign up.  I think pepople who are frequent flyers get selected more often.

Glad you're walking well again.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Cool story about the race yesterday, MikeE! I am sure you were proud of him. Jay, I would love to see you racewalk sometime. That was a great time! Tammy, have fun planting. Oh, I somehow had a feeling David would be a winner on the tennis court. Nice LR for you Enke, and Holly. tomwhite, yeah, it counts.  No flight tips from me other than to never take the red-eye.

These long runs are getting to be, well, long (for me anyway). After church MrStarr dropped a water bottle for me and I went out for 8 miles on a windy, sunny day. It was quite warm actually, 64° to 72°, very nice considering we had snow in the twin cities yesterday morning. The wind was brutal, 26 mph with gusts to 36. I was sure thankful for the tailwind when I had it. Overall pace was just 12:55 but that’s good for me. 7 weeks until Green Bay!

Have a greta rest of the day!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

New skirt in town

OMG, I heard Will Shortz, too, and had no idea the RA connection!!  Bravo, Tet!

I woke up and saw the big gobs of snow, and for some strange reason, I thought, "I have to get out there!" I have a treadmill to which I had planned to retreat if the weather turned ugly, but I just immediately decided to get outdoors.  It was windy and blizzardy and the branches were falling down everywhere, but I got my "easy" 4 miles in.

Crack! We lost a yuge tree limb in our back yard, but thankfully nothing important was beneath when it fell.

Ballroom dance lesson, and taking my nephew to see the Sound of Music touring production at the Opera House rounded out my day.

(I had my Melanoma Foundation fleece band on upside down)

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA