Masters Running

Wednesday, May 21st Daily (Read 490 times)

Teresadfp you might consider trying Enlyten strips. I took them on some long runs early last winter and noticed a definite reduction in post-run "problems." Originally, I figured it was just a coincidence (the problems are not why I took them) but what the heck. But, it kept working so I kept using them. I figured if it was just a placebo that was fine with me. Then I saw an ad for an anti-diarrheal and guess what the main ingredient is? Electrolytes! So, not only does this stuff help keep you hydrated, and prevent leg cramps it also prevents well other problems too! Now I make it a point to carry them with me on any run longer than 13 miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

As planned, I was able to finish my first 11-mile run this morning. My running partner made her planned 9 miles, too! We ran from my house all the way through the town of Yarmouth, and then back again. A PERFECT day for running - 50 degrees, sunny, and slight breeze. It's getting easier for me, although the last couple of mles were challenging. For me, my Garmin is a lifesaver, because I can see those hundredths of a mile clicking away fairly rapidly. The run took me 2:03:11, for an average 11:12 pace. As usual, I sped up towards the end, which seems so weird! Is it normal to have stomach issues after long runs? After my last two runs, I've needed long trips to the bathroom! Shocked Great running, everyone! Teresa
      If you have any blood in the stool with these "issues" you might have ischemic colitis. This can happen during a run or a few hours after a run. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4285 If it is just a "timing issue", maybe you can train yourself to go at a different time? It'd be an experiment but I think it can be done.
      LaVita
      Mariposai

Thanks Holly, I will check my library too for a copy of the movie. Congrats Teresa on you 11 miler. You are now ready for a HM Cool. Be proud of yoruself. 11 miles is a looonnng way to run. Make sure you -rehydrate well and enjoy the rest of the day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

If it is just a "timing issue", maybe you can train yourself to go at a different time? It'd be an experiment but I think it can be done.
          I wish I knew how to do this, but my body seems to feel that when it's time to go, by golly it's time to go...good thing there's lots of woods and a strategically-placed port-o-pottie along the river trail.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I wish I knew how to do this, but my body seems to feel that when it's time to go, by golly it's time to go...good thing there's lots of woods and a strategically-placed port-o-pottie along the river trail.... Big grin
            I just think it would be interesting to see if rearranging the diet could change things? (touch wood) I am able to "tend to this issue" prior to running. I feel fortunate, good body rhythms? I know some runners who will take Immodium prior to running. I wonder if a little of that along with diet adjustments could change the "timing" issue? Sort of like changing your sleep patterns? Who knows?
            LaVita
            evanflein

There are no porta potties along my runs. Zip, zero, nada. So, I try to make it to the McDonald's which is almost 5 miles away if I head SE, or to my parents' house which is 7 miles away if I go the other way. Long stretches... Otherwise, I'll run about half mile down the road and come back up the hill to the house...that seems to get things moving! Then I go finish my run in peace. Only an issue with morning runs though, which might be another reason I prefer running later in the afternoon. I want to watch that movie... thanks for the reminder, Holly. Our library is really good here too, but I'm woefully inadequate in supporting it. Nice run, Mariposai! I'd like to get out on the track but seems like it's always busy with other stuff. Teresa, good job on the 11 miler! No run last night... watched soccer and ate popcorn instead. DS1's team won, but it wasn't pretty. Tonight they play arch rivals again, and coach really wants a win. Hmmm, they'll have to play better than they did last night to pull that off. DS1 hurt his hip last night, too. Came down for a header hard on his left leg and I think pulled something in his hip. I've had him on Ibu and ice packs, but he's not happy about it... Will try a run tonight. Foot feels fine now...
                I think the Sproink Gods are bestowing their love on me this week, there is no other explanation! After doing a hard effort yesterday, or so I thought, I was going to run slow today. The legs had other plans. I kept telling them to slow down or there would be ugly results later. I'd check my Garmin after awhile expecting to see my new slower pace, and it would be faster than the mile before it! Dang! Why can't all runs feel like this?? Then an older guy passed me, and I thought after he got further ahead that he wasn't really going that much faster than me, so I tried to catch up. But he kept disappearing around corners and I would lose interest, then I would see him ahead again and try to speed up. This totally blew my "run slow" plan. So I set a new PR on my regular hillly 10K route. Smile 6.31 miles @ 9:34 pace. And I still felt good so I did some more miles to round up to 9 miles total, o/a pace 9:45. I'm not complaining, I just don't understand where this juice is coming from. I ran intervals yesterday!! Mariposa, nice ladder!! Teresa, what you are experiencing is pretty normal. I used to have stomach issues right at 11 miles on my long runs. After awhile I started to expect to go then. I think it became partly psychological. Maybe it is just my body getting used to all the running, but I don't seem to have problems anymore on long runs, or not nearly as often.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I just think it would be interesting to see if rearranging the diet could change things?
                  I have heard this suggested before, but I'm not really sure what adjustments one would make. I get up in the morning, have a cup of coffee (but no food), and then go running about 30-40 minutes later. You would think the coffee would help me get this out of my system BEFORE I head out, but not so. On the days I don't run, I don't go until much later in the day, so it seems to be the whole "getting my heartrate up" thing that moves things along. Before big races, I do take Immodium, which seems to help, but on regular running days I just mentally map out the places I can stop, if I need to. Erika - bummer about DS's hip, and I hope it gets better quickly. Nice news on your foot, too. I'm sorry I'm lagging so badly on the Boston photos, but I keep thinking about getting them. I'll try to get what I have uploaded to Shutterfly.com and send you a link, soon I hope. ETA - nice sproinky run, Enk!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

I don't really think it's a HR thing with me Holly, but rather the jostling up and down that seems to move things southward....and I usually know if I'm going to have a problem soon after starting my run. Holly, I don't see how you would change your diet to help either. My afterwork runs I have the problem, but on my weekend morning runs I normally don't...hard to figure out Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I am having brain cramps from lots of writing....time for an RA break! Tim---I saw your question about running to your 10k. I know you have been piling on the miles and like to do the run to the race and back home thing. I do love that as well and it's a great way to warm-up. If your goal is to run a fast 10k and/or establish a baseline for where you are before you do some more to get a certain time goal, I wouldn't run more than 3 miles beforehand. If you do choose to run to the race, run Really, Really slowly (I know---tough for you Mr. speed train)...seriously, don't time yourself or anything-- just jog easily to the race. As for time, I think what you are gunning for is possible. My .02! Tallrunner----you can send all that extra food to Massachusetts you know! Cool program for your daughters. hang tough....just a few days and you'll be flying by the Rideau Canal. Twocat---I saw your mention of the Ironhorse. I ran the half there two years ago and may do the 10k this time. I am racing a half marathon on 5/25, so another on 6/1 may be too much. I do like that race though. Keep me posted! As for the tummy talk....I am pretty lucky and rarely need to make a stop. I used to get nauseous and worse when I used gatorade in races. I don't use it at all now---even the endurance formula. It's water, salt tablets/succeed caps and gels in a race and during training, just water and sometimes the Enlyten strips. I do like those, but I am not adept at all at getting the darn strips out easily (even with practice!). I usually have a cup of coffee and a banana before I run during the week. Can't really help I guess. Where is Spareribs on this? Isn't this his favorite topic? Big grin Way to go Teresa on that 11 miler! It wasn't so long ago at all when you were doing your first 6 miler and look at you now. So awesome! You rock! I am glad the Sproink Gods are smiling for you Enke....nice running there! Okay....back to writing.... CNYrunner/Karin P. S. Okay, so I can't bear to get back to work just yet. At the risk of selling something, I went downstairs just now and retrieved a package from the front porch. I ripped into it with glee as it's a copy of "The Runner's Cookbook: Winning Recipes from Some of the World's Best Athletes" Compiled and editd by Alison Wade. I saw the link on the Runner's World site and was intrigued. The proceeds go to the Ryan Shay Memorial Fund and to the Jenny Crain "Make it Happen" fund. It doesn't hurt that the cover photo includes Deena Kastor, Elva Dryer and Alicia Shay surging off the start of the Tufts 10k. Wth all this food and tummy trouble talk, maybe some of the recipes therein will be good! Anyway....it is a slim volume and includes some hot race photos as well as notes and tips from these most fleet of foot runners. Check it out!
                      Henrun

Did my first long run (11 miles) since my last half m. on March 30th. Took it easy and enjoyed the sights along the Charles. I've developed a relationship of sorts with an Asian mother and daughter over the last few years. I often see them running on the Charles River route. They wear identical outfits (very fashionista) and run together in a symmetrical gait. I've never talked to them but we now greet each other with waves and 'good mornings'. I look forward to sighting them. Craneum, my parents never exercised but my father loved to walk when he could. Unfortunately, he had undiagnosed high BP and died much too young (early 60's). My mother, on the other hand, although she did not exercise was very active and lived until she was nearly 90. I'm old enough to be the parent of most of those on this forum. My son is 39 and my daughter 43. Neither of them have been active exercisers. My daughter walks at times. My son decided this year to do an Olympic distance tri for the Team in Training (the same age that I started running-more than a coincidence!). Teresa-not an uncommon problem as everyone has stated. Running increases peristalsis of the intestine.
                          I did a little research and am doing a little research in the areas that Vista touched on yesterday. I found it interesting that Dwight Gooden threw a no hitter but it was with the Yankees and not with the Mets. Also interesting that Johnny VanderMeer threw no hitters in consecutive starts-wow!
                          When you think of Nolan Ryan and all the no hitters he had (seven) and Tom Seaver and Doc Gooden, there has been the talent for the Mets. I guess it is all about timing huh? I am sitting in the press box watching a good college game on a sunny 70 degree day. As soon as this game is over, I will manage some sort of a run in this multi diamond sports park. If I can find one of the fields open, I may try some sprints around the base paths. My finger is fine. It is healing well .......quite amazingly so, actually.
                          Vista
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for all the thoughts about stomach issues! I will try the Enlyten strips. I've always had timing issues, since I was tiny - as in, not going for days and days and days, no matter how I changed my diet. I finally went to the doctor, and she said some people are just like that. Running has helped a lot, actually, but I can't fine-tune things to that degree, lol. I won't complain, though - my legs are holding up like champs with no problems at all, so I'm thrilled.
                              cnyrunner - so hungry...cooking up chicken parmesan right now with crisped proscitto and eggplant on top...sorry I cannot send it down to you as the girls will eat right away. For dessert I made a chocolate marble cake last night that I will stuff with real home made whipping cream and dark chocolate shavings... Carbo loading for the marathon.... Gotta love it...tomorrow it's back to simple pasta, vegetables, fruit and water... Cry Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

evanflein

I had to google Enlyten strips to see what they were. Never heard of 'em before! Would these be better than Succeed caps? Or just a different delivery method? Looks like you don't have to take them with water, which would be good. I find the S-caps get sticky and hard to swallow when I'm all sweaty... So... how do they help the GI issue?