Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 3.7.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

3 of my meetings this week were start-ups for road races and our road race series for this year. Good meetings, but now I have a ton of work to get done so we can get sites updated and registration open.

About that canceled half marathon in York, ME: The RD posted on his registration page, 16 days before the race, that it was canceled by Police and Fire due to concerns about snow on the road shoulders. For 16 days out, that didn't sound right. So I started doing some digging. I found out, via the local newspaper, that the PF and FD did not cancel the race. I later learned that the RD had never applied for his permits until 3 weeks before the race. The PD had major problems with his course (crossing very busy Rt. 1 twice, and going by 3 churches on a Sunday morning), and offered to work with him, but he wasn't interested in any alternatives. So it looks like he canceled because he wasn't going to tet a permit for the course he wanted. We assume he tried to blame the PD and FD on the cancellation so he wouldn't be liable for the airfare and hotels that people has spent money on after they signed up for this "race." I have a feeling this is going to get ugly...

5.6 RW miles at 4:15 this morning. It being my first workout in 8 days, I just kept an easy pace and tried to maintain good form. Oh yeah - it was 7F this morning, so I tried to keep warm too! It sure was nice to see the sky brightening at the end of my workout. Sadly, I have just one more day of that for a while, thanks to DST.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I have a feeling this is going to get ugly...

I think you're right, Jay. Is this his first gig as a RD? You think he would have known all of the steps that need to be taken to get ready for the race. Mixed emotions about DST here as well. For all of those late day runners, it will be nice for them.

Just finished a few hours at the homeless shelter, now I'm headed over to the Y for a fitness evaluation. A 45-minute test that ends with getting on a scale and a fat caliper measure   Wish me luck.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Oh boy Jay, you are way calm about a maddening situation.  It's one think to mess up, but then own it.  And trying to blame the PD and FD is just well, just plain wrong (and lots of other more colorful language could be inserted here.)

Hey, I forgot to tell you, DH has started speed walking.  He found some other guys here who do it so he goes out with them on the weekends.  He's even starting to do some races.  His form is not perfect, meaning he'd probably be disqualified if he entered an official speed walking event, but he's working on it.  His pace is in the 12s usually.

Holly, I totally hate fasting, usually mess up and drink coffee, which can skew the results a little.  I eat a big bowl of oatmeal, nuts and fruit in the morning (not to mention a little nosh before the am run just to get started, so fasts are cranky-making.

Also cranky making is one of my favorite running chum's job.  She works for eye doctors who schedule procedures ridiculously early so she has to be at work at dawn and can't run a lot of mornings.   Grr....snowbirds should get their catarract surgery done up north!

Dave, wow, GRETA recap!  I remember the game (I carrry a small radio and listen; it's fun to kibbutz with those fans holding the signs.  The tricky part is just past Framingham, where the feed changes stations.)  I would LOVE to come collect on that bet!  And there was a tutu in the deal, but I will magnanimously not insist on it.   If not this year, then 2015.  Seattle area is ON!

I did a double yesterday; there was the morning bridge run, then it rained all day but started clearing around 5 so I ran with a local running group after work for 5 more.  Sky was all grey except along the horizon.  RUnning down sidestreets toward the river, I saw the sunset showing through the clouds and outshining them along the horizon's rim, where bright oranges and yellow flared.  Spectacular!

So I slept in this morning  and plan to take advantage of a cooler day here, 70s only, and go out for a bit at lunch.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Modified:  O drat, Jay is right: must go get some brighter lights for the am.....DST.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

My platform as president would have 2 things in it:

1. Elimination of all time changes.  Pick standard time or daylight savings time and just stick with it.  It works ok in Arizona and Hawaii.  No one has died from lack of time changes.  My preference is to stay on daylight savings time year round, but as president I would consider all points of view.

2. Elimination of speed bumps.  I hate those things.

It was single digits when I woke up and I was going to wait for the predicted 40+ temps before running, but I got tired of waiting and went out for 5 miles while it was still 20°.  Probably a good idea as the shock 40° would probably give me heat stroke.

TammyinGP

wondering if MikeE had a good night's sleep last night?

I think my head cold / sinus stuff is on the tail end, so will try and get in a run after work. I'll sure be glad when it's next week and I have more time in the evenings to run before dark.  tomorrow David and I are heading up to the HS for him to meet with the HS coach and get a 3K time trial on him. David has been training with him and the HS track kids for the past 6 wks and David will start track practice next week at middle school, but the HS coach wants a time on him so is setting aside an hour in the morning to meet with just him. I almost feel like I should be paying the coach for all the individual coaching he gives to David.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave, wow, GRETA recap! 

And there was a tutu in the deal, but I will magnanimously not insist on it.  

If not this year, then 2015.  Seattle area is ON!

not so fast.

2015 is just fine for Dave to tutu too

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

an amazing likeness

About that canceled half marathon in York, ME: The RD posted on his registration page, 16 days before the race, that it was canceled by Police and Fire due to concerns about snow on the road shoulders. For 16 days out, that didn't sound right. So I started doing some digging. I found out, via the local newspaper, that the PF and FD did not cancel the race. I later learned that the RD had never applied for his permits until 3 weeks before the race. The PD had major problems with his course (crossing very busy Rt. 1 twice, and going by 3 churches on a Sunday morning), and offered to work with him, but he wasn't interested in any alternatives. So it looks like he canceled because he wasn't going to tet a permit for the course he wanted. We assume he tried to blame the PD and FD on the cancellation so he wouldn't be liable for the airfare and hotels that people has spent money on after they signed up for this "race." I have a feeling this is going to get ugly...

Very interesting....the message he's posted on their race web site puts the blame 100% at the police and fire and, as I recall reading it last night, directly states the police and fire would not work with them on alternate dates / course changes.

(Excuse the interruption, back to your regular daily topics.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

King of PhotoShop

Slow day here.  Took Lucy von Sheltie for a walk, as I don't seem to be making a lot of progress on the recovery. Maybe an easier week is what's needed.  2.1 miles or so jog/walk.

Yes Jay, it will get ugly.

jlynne, good for you on the shelter work.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

not so fast.

2015 is just fine for Dave to tutu too

SAy jon, I noticed there's an interesting "Bellevue Ghost" kinda quirky marathon the same weekend as the R&R Seattle.  What do you know about that?    And what's the Green River Marathon like on June 7th?

Also intrigued by Ranier to Ruston, a 50 miler but you can do it as a relay.  Any Seattle area folks considering that?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Jay, that RD is going to be in big trouble.

Fast post here since I need to be back at work in less than an hour. I had a split schedule today. I worked for 2 hours, then off for 3 hours and then back for a few more hours. I decided to fit in my longish run during in the middle of the day to enjoy the sunshine.

Great weather here, 55 and sunny. First short and topless run of the year. 13 miles (11@MP) in 9:30ish ave. pace, which is perfect considering the one slow mile at the start and at the end of the run. Considering that I have no race nearby where to test my fitness level I better do some serious MP paces during training to push myself.

Off for another few hours of work, then off to Red Mountain, BC for a few more days of downhill skiing. The snow should be good.

Got to love those sunshine miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

1. Elimination of all time changes.  Pick standard time or daylight savings time and just stick with it.

I totally agree.  I think the whole DST is ridiculous - there are the same number of hours of daylight regardless of what the clock says.

Jay - keep us posted, I am curious to see how it falls out.

Aamos - cranky-making is so fitting - I love it!

Mariposai - great run!

I took advantage of the milder temps (31 degrees) this morning to run outside, trusting the kids to get up and motivated on their own.  They made it. 

7 miles for me, with only mild heel pain.  Seems to be getting better, but we'll see how it feels after tomorrow's LR.

I saw a falling star in the early morning darkness.  The starry sky looked lovely.  I have been inside too much this winter.

DH and I are taking my stepdad to a comedy club tonight - should be fun.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well I like the time change.

Without it, it would sunny at 3 am during Summer Solstice in June, and dark at 9 pm.  With it, it gets light at 4am and dark at 10 pm.  I wonder what Jay thinks.  Most other people I know are not up at 4 am, let alone 3 am.

For us people in the more Northern Latitudes, it is useful.

Jay, wow, interesting to see what the fallout is going to be wrt that race.

Aamos is coming out west???  Cool!

I had weather like Mariposai - hate to tell everyone, but 58F and sunny.      Came home from work early and did 3 miles with the dog, in SUNSHINE.  We only get one day of sun every fortnight, so it needs to be used.  Wore shorts, and was a bit warm!  And lots of pansies and daffodils outside the markets this week.  It's a trade off (copious rain and grey skies, but mild), that I have no problem with.

The first two miles my knee was fine, but the last mile it started to hurt a bit, drats.  But, I am glad I have been resting it this week - clearly that is what it needs.  Plan to run tomorrow on my mountain trail at the cabin. 

Who else is annoyed at getting pimples at age 50?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Well I like the time change.

Without it, it would sunny at 3 am during Summer Solstice in June, and dark at 9 pm.  With it, it gets light at 4am and dark at 10 pm.  I wonder what Jay thinks.  Most other people I know are not up at 4 am, let alone 3 am.

For us people in the more Northern Latitudes, it is usefull. 

What is the point of changing it back in the fall?

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, it's good to have you back starting the dailies again!   Has that RD been in charge of that race for long, or is he a newbie?  Sounds like he'd better go on vacation to South America  and not come back...

Dave59 for president!

I would travel to Seattle to run with Amy, and with divechief in a tutu!  Maybe with barefoot Jon, too?

Yesterday I ran in shorts and today we got so much snow I had to go out and plow and shovel.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I think the whole daylight savings time is stupid, especially for us. It doesn't change the fact that it's dark when we go to work and dark when we get home in the winter, or that it's light most of the night most of the summer! Now if we could save some of that summer light and use it in the winter, we'd be on to something. But as it is, dumb. Although... I will admit that I like how it stays so light after work when we first change to the summer mode! Since I don't run in the mornings, I have no use for the earlier daylight. Smile

Was another nice sunny day here, and the wind that made my eyes tear up so much yesterday was pretty much non-existant today. And the sidewalks/paths had been plowed! Nice! Too bad I only had a short easy run planned. And my stoopid Garmin wouldn't turn on. So I measured my run by MapMyRun, and guessed my time based on when I left the building and when I got to DH's office. Good enough.

Anybody else have a stoopid Garmin that seems to not like being left on the charger overnight? If I take it off right away when it's "complete," it seems fine. If I leave it overnight, it is cranky the next day (won't turn on, low battery, etc). Probably all signs the old 305 is on it's way out.

Hockey tonight! University of Alaska Fairbanks vs. University of Alaska Anchorage for the Governor's Cup finals. Tonight and tomorrow night's games will determine who wins the Cup, and home ice for the playoffs. We don't usually go to hockey games anymore, but decided we'd go tonight and tomorrow. Support the home team and all that, right? (the link above is from the UAA Seawolves page, but still....) It's pretty much sold out tonight....