Masters Running

Sunday, May 18th Daily (Read 393 times)

King of PhotoShop

Whatever it is you do Liz, make sure to ice as soon as you come home. I am having lots of success with a couple of icings later in the day too. I would leave total miles alone for now and just try to get in a few of these one minute to 90 second run portions so you can keep evaluating it. This is all new for you and you don't want to suffer from "irrational exuberance." Last July I had a mileage goal for a run on a day that I was very tired. So I pushed through it anyway, felt something give in my butt and was then out of running for 7 months. Now that I am recovering, I had a plan today for twelve miles. Got 8 in and felt very tired. Stopped, took a drink of water and headed on out for another four. After two I called it quits. I was exhausted, and I have learned my lessons well. So I got ten in today and have decided this is the point for a very necessary cutback week. Just for others' learning, what tipped me off to this was my running log graphs. The last three short runs, which were supposed to be at "easy" pace, were actually "slow." By coding them that way I got to see the different color on the graph and the slow times. This was a good prompt to me to watch it. I fly out to the State of Washington this afternoon and will be working in huge cities of Long Beach, Ilwaco and Aberdeen all week. Not likely to bump into CNYrunner there. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Recovery run for me today after 10 miler yesterday. I did 6 miles easy in 66:30 (11:05/mile). Thanks for the advice Ribs about running the day after a long run. My legs feel alot better today than they did when I took off the day after a long run. Have a great day All. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

GreenMan

Nice run Perch, and CNY, Visiting family in MD. I took Molly-dawg for a 3 mile walk. NEXT Sunday, I'll be running Big grin Also, It will be the first day of a 5 day bike trip with some friends. jjj
        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
          Trying to be philosophical about my carpy cut-back week. The good news: (1) I ran 15 miles - badly, but "cut back" used to be "pushing it" in terms of MPW; (2) the school concerts went well; no REALLY well; (3) I didn't let an insanely physically and emotionally demanding work schedule stop me from running 4 times this week; (5) I learned (the hard way) that too little sleep and not eating well make Eliz a grouchy girl and a terrible runner. The bad news: in spite of all that, I'm really feeling down about what I'm perceiving as lack of progress in my running right now. (Translation: I'm tired of being so bloody slow!) I'm chalking it up to being too tired to really look at anything in a very balanced way at the moment. I'm also trying to work out my overwhelming fear and loathing of racing. As I'm writing, the really good news popped into my tired brain: I'm on track with the #1 goal of the year of running 1000K INJURY-FREE kilometers, and I'm even thinking of shooting for 1000 injury-free miles. Not doing so great on the "have fun while doing it" part, but that'll come back, I know. The other good news is that, even though I've been too overwhelmed to contribute much this week, I've been amused and inspired by the glimpses of your lives that you continue to share so generously. And the BEST news? In 4-1/2 weeks, my job won't interfere with my running for about 10 weeks. Big grin (Yikes, no excuses then!) Looking forward to a 20-mile week and my first-ever 9-mile run. Happy rest-of-the-weekend, everyone. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

8 miles in 1:13Tight lippedx about a 9:10 average pace. Sarted out at the first 5k at a slow 9:40 and then seen how much effort and time it would take to get down to a 9:00 pace comfortably. Good practice for my race next Saturday. I managed to hit negative splits on every mile after the first 3 and finished up in a nice 9 minute pace which is my MP goal. Not much running for this week a couple 3 or 4 milers . Good runs everyone. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

munchkn883

No walk for me yet today. Was suppose to meet a couple of people at Duke Trail but they called at 6:30 this morning and cancelled. Went back to bed thinking maybe our GD would sleep in...no such luck, she was up at 7:30! I love it when she spends the night! DH and GD are napping so I think I'll get a few minutes in myself. Hopefully will get in a few miles this evening. Tall -- Do you have a cookbook?! Wink
                Munch No cookbook. As some of you know my grandfather on my mothers side was a chef and owned his own restaurant, so I just cook by feel, by portions and combinations. It's very natural...and it's rare that I mess up, although I do when we think some combo's would go well together. As this is the first time I cook for L...I am hoping everything will be perfect, so I stuck to simple fair, except for dessert (homemade gelato...a bit more complex) Well time to do some more dishes. I don't think people realize how much cleaning is invovled in making pizza, if you make the dough from scratch, cook steak, sausage, veggies, etc..............wow messy. but so good. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Manchild

6.9 miles at a 9:14 pace... Ribs, I still can't figure out how to A) Color code my workouts even with the sites directions found by clicking "Options"... B) Titling my different workouts...Trails, Fartlek, etc. Tall, you gotta stop writing about food!! An absolutely beautiful day here...Enjoy! Chris
                    Not only is he tall, handsome and incredibily athletic, he is an amazing cook! Now I fully understand why the women are lining up and taking numbers outside your front door, wtg, Tall. Wink Did 7 miles out and back, very hilly @ 10:37 pace but I cheated a took two breaks. Pretty warm out there too but a nice breeze helped me on the way back. Eliz, it is hard to run well when you are tired. Also, if you have been ramping up your mileage, it takes a while for your body to adjust to the load, like about 3 weeks at that mileage, then when you cut back, you should see some speed. Good luck this summer.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Happy Sunday everyone!! Big grin went out yesterday for a walk/run and my electronics all failed me -- well, i left my regular watch at home, my cell phone in the car, put on my MP3 player -- dead, put on my garmin - low battery which DIED after m y 10 minute walk -- so i just carried on electronic free --- ran annd walked just listening to my body and the beauty around me...........did the old-fashioned drive the route afterwards to see i did 5 miles - probably in about an hour.........felt ok -- some pinching in the butt and slight lower back ache but not awful -- then did my PT stretches and exercises.........today feeling ok but not working out -- thought about a bike ride because it's another glorious day, but i was up for 9:30 mass, came home to cook for the tribe, made brownies and now thinking i better squeeze in a nap before work tonight!! sarge - i always feel a little tired after donating blood as well, unfortunately i've tried to donate twice in the last 2 weeks but have been rejected for low hemoglobin -- i'm calling myself the blood donor failure right now -- they just laugh at me and tell me to try again........need to be better about taking my vitamins i guess because i don't eat red meat and its hard to get enough iron in the leafy greens!! anyway --- enjoy the rest of the weekend all!!

denise

Hi deez4boys! I am hoping that the recovery continues for you. I am waiting at the airport and reading RA of course. Check out Aamos and another speedy marathon with an age group victory! Just another day at the office....wowsa! Nice running Amy. A report maybe? Big grin CNYrunner
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, hang in there! Do you have a log? Have you ever thought of opening it to get some suggestions from people? That has really helped me in the past. Are you running slowly enough when you train? That's my biggest challenge. RAers keep telling me that to run more miles, I need to be gowing slower. It's great you'll have a good window of time to concentrate on running. I think you should just keep plugging, and you WILL see progress.
                            Happy Sunday Boomers. Ran the CellCom half this morning. Almost IRC - 41F at 7:00 AM, overcast, but a bit of a breeze - 20 mph out of the north. At least it didn't rain. Ran a good steady pace and was able to keep up with my 32 year old nieces, and when you're 55, that's a challenge! Splits 9:44, 9:34 and 9:46 (steady hill, wind in our face) at the end. Official chip time 2:08:01, which is only 30 seconds slower than my time two years ago. It's always so cool to run through Lambeau Field right before the finish line, and how many races have beer and brats at 9:00 in the morning?! Good effort, good company, good day. Enjoy the rest of your day, everyone. Jeanne
                              Oops, just realized I didn't get a chance to post my run this morning. Like Spareribs, I was very tired this morning -- my run yesterday was reasonably fast, and I haven't been running much lately. So my planned 12 miler turned into a 9 miler on dead legs -- I'm still happy that I was able to run the last three of four days without any pain. With luck I'll be able to ramp up again to "normal" mileage quickly. Workout: 8.2 miles, 8:58/mi, AHR 155 (see what I mean about dead legs?) Overall: 9.2 miles, 1:22 I just got a book on digital nature photography -- now I feel like I am taking a refresher course on the stuff I used to know from late elementary school. I have my camera out and am playing with the controls as I'm reading the book. I know I can take better pictures than what I have posted at http://www.pbase.com/lking/birds . These aren't horrible, but looking in this book I can see that there's a lot of room for improvement.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

...lou//........seen any Beer Birds????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....