Masters Running

Saturday, March 22 Runs and Work Outs (Read 640 times)

Posting my Friday evening run finally. 6.00 miles @ 10:35 pace, with 800 plus ft elevation (if what the Garmin says is at all accurate, which I doubt). I got my run in during the last hour of daylight. This run felt pretty good considering the 12 miles I ran the night before. Smells I picked up along the way included, lots of rush hour car exhaust, cherry blossoms, car dealership smells of new car and fresh rubber tires, and the best, freshly cut grass! The good and bad all mixed together. Regarding creeps at the gym: there is a "women's only" room at this gym. I briefly contemplated going in there to finish my run Thursday night, but I immediately banished the idea as it admits defeat and insinuates victimization. I don't want to sound overly negative, or make anyone feel bad, but women (usually just younger women) put up with this $hit all the time. I am too old and jaded to let this slide, so if Mr. Leery-pants comes around again....there will be some public humiliation. It was obvious he was not there to "hit on me" or "talk" to me, just to leer and intimidate. Btb - gosh, I couldn't believe you walked 5 miles back!! I was thinking it must have been the worst kind of injury for you to walk so far. My shin pull healed after 9-10 days, so I hope your's does too! And like Holly said, it will give all your other weak spots a chance to strengthen up. Vista, glad you brother's situation wasn't so bad. I'm about to head out for 17 miles today, beautiful sunny day so it should be a great run even if my legs are dead.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Fresh snow and ice this morning so it was to the gym for the treadmill because I wanted to do some 3 minute intervals that might not be possible on the road. 5.5 miles of running, 6 miles counting before & after walks. BTB sorry to hear about your injury Sad walking good, ripping bad.. At least your posting finger isn't on the DL that would hurt everybody Big grin Please get well soon. My DW is having shin pain so she's only did eliptical this week. Great photo Steve! Cool I have an article in the RRCA newsletter, Footnotes. Big grin It can viewed online, Forks in the Road. Have a Great Weekend Everybody!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

BTB say it isn't so Black eye With your fitness level and good head I am sure it will be short lived. Not been on line the last few days so I am not up to speed on everyone. Guess I need to find time to go back and catch up. That won't be today however as I am traveling to visit family. Tommorrows long run looks like another snowy slushy mess just like today. 7 miles in the slush of 2 inches of snow from last night. Just under 10 minute miles so easy pace for me. I was dodging the traffic all morning but you can't miss them all. One truck really drenched me. The slush must have then refroze on that side because when I got home everyone was laughing at me. The half iceman half spring thawman. Good runs to everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning All, I had a really great run this morning. I ran the Palos Verdes Golf Course run. It is a very challenging course. It starts out at about 1000ft and drops down to about 200 ft at mile 3, then from about mile 3.5 to mile 5, its all uphill back to about 800 ft and then levels out to the finish. It winds up through the canyons of Palos Verdes Estates. When you get almost to the top (about mile 4) it overlooks the Pacific Ocean and the whole Los Angeles basin. On a great day like today it is a spectacular view! It's worth the work getting to the top. The whole course is 6 miles long. I ran it today in 1:03:47 10:38/mile. Since there is so much uphill, I was happy with my time. Dromedary: I hope you are getting over your hives and can run this weekend. btb: Hope your injury in minor, but don't be in a hurry to get back, that will only make it worse. Jlynne: My picks are not going well either, 23 out of 32 for the first round and my USC Trojans got beat Cry(as I always say at SC there is football season and waiting for football season). Since Wisconsin was playing Cal State Fullerton on Friday, the game was on a local channel, so I got to see the Badgers play. With all the upsets in their bracket they should be able to get to the regional final (I think they can beat Georgetown) and play Kansas. They could make it to the Final Four. For now I'm staying with my picks of UNC, KU, Texas and UCLA (I even hate to write the letters UCLA! Angry). Have a great weekend all and for those of you who are Christians have a most blessed Easter (He is Risen, He is Risen Indeed!). Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

pfriese

Morning. This morning I ran with the OKC running club for their training run that they organize for the OKC MM. A nice 20 miler @ 9:30/mile pace on the marathon course. Have a great weekend. Paul
              A glorious day in TN. Sorry for all of you who are still experiencing that white stuff that we crave here. Our Bradford Pear trees are in full bloom and the dogwoods are trying hard. I'll spend the afternoon playing w/ my newest toy - my chainsaw! It's a lightweight, electric one and just perfect for buzzing down the overgrown privets that are my hedge. The hedge is now almost gone, but will return by June. My neighbor is out of town and he will be really p***d when he sees what I've done, but by then I'll be back at work Clowning around BTB here's to a speedy recovery. And all you other fine folks who are going to Boston, I'm so proud of you!! Big grin Maybe next year I can joing deez4boys and volunteer. Just back from my LR - 10.4 in 1:52. About the same pace as my 1/2 last Sat. but today's run was full of elevation. I had to expose my winter white wrinkled warrior legs to the world today. Dead I miss my tights that cover all that. This week is a new record for me - 25 miles! Too tired to go for my usual mile swim. Happy Easter everyone!
              Dave59

The gym I go to moved to a brand new building a few weeks ago and is great. We now have 2 rows of exercise stuff with treadmills in the front, bikes and ellipticals in the second row. I always feel bad when I get on an elliptical behind a couple young women runners because I don't want be seen like some dirty old man. I see them take glances back to check where I'm looking and I try to focus on the TV sets above their heads. And when selecting a machine I always try to put some space between other people whenever possible. It's a shame people have to be worried about who is looking at them. Now, one day when I was working out some youngish woman came in wearing a 1-piece black body suit which was hard not to look at. But it was actually more fun watching everyone else in the gym (men and women) trying to sneak looks at her. Some would take a direct stare, other would keep their heads straight but look to the side with their eyes, and other would use the mirrors so it looked they they weren't looking at all! My cough is gradually going away. I still plan on taking today and tomorrow off. On Monday I'll go to the gym with my daughter. She joined yesterday and had an orientation session but she will need some help on her first few workouts. She is 18 and has not done any type of exercise (unless you count "Dance, Dance, Revolution"). If I am done coughing by Tuesday I will lace up the running shoes. I optimistically signed up for 4 races. A coupe 5k's, the Crim 10-miler at the end of August, and a fall half-marathon. Hopefully it won't be money down the drain. (I actually tried to pick races where the fees will go to a good cause and aren't totally wasted if I don't make it.) The granddaughter is due tomorrow but I would be very surprised if she arrives on time. My daughter is so far handling everything very well.

BTB, get better soon. We don't want you injured for long ... Lou, I am another DH that resisted running for a long time while my DW ran. Sadly, now that I'm running all the time, she's having persistent painful back issues and now has a persistent cough and a strained rib muscle, so she can't run. I think it's been nearly a month and she hasn't got in a step. 6 easy treadmill miles in 56 minutes. I felt really, really good today. I would have pushed the pace bigitme but wanted to save the energy for tomorrow's LR with fast finish at MP. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

A little behind the game over here... lots of happenings it seems. Bob -- I hope it's just a blip. You deserve a good fast run in Boston this year (and no picture taking on the course!) Tongue Enke -- creepy gym guys? Ick. I'm still fighting something... now also wondering if my iron levels are low again. Feeling a bit of deja vu from last spring's bout of anemia with so much lack of energy. Skipped the long run this a.m. (and of course feeling guiltiy about it, especially on a beautiful spring morning) but may opt for a few miles runs in a bit. I didn't run Wed. or yesterday, either... Sad Amazing how much extra time you have on your hands when you don't run long on Sat. morn and the kids have been asleep until now. Enjoy the day, folks. I have dinner plans with arf, divechief and Tet -- just hope I can swing it.
                      btb: I sure hope it's not serious and it really wasn't a rip that you heard. Reminds of the first time my DW heard a runner talking about "blowing out his knee", which is an expression we often use, but usually just means you tweaked it a bit. enke: Sorry, I won't stand so close next time. Big grin Actually, I was in a similar situation this morning. I don't usually go to the university rec center on Saturdays, and it's definitely different from my usual 6AM visits (lots more students). I was cranking along on an elliptical when two girls got on the ones to my left and started yakking so animatedly that I could barely hear my MP3 player, so I got off and moved to the other end of the row. Roll eyes After the elliptical workout I ran at a very easy pace for a mile on the treadmill. I could "feel it" where it's been hurting, but it didn't get any worse (sort of eased off and on), and afterward there has been no lasting pain (at least so far). Some progress at least.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

seemomgo

Holy Rabbit Ears Steve!! What an adorable baby - er rabbit!!! BTB: take care of that injury! We want youto have a fine performance at Boston. By the way, I did go on the web site to see your sweet little girl you are running for. What a doll. You are a terrific contributor to this board and I am sure you are an amazing giver to those who are around you. You make us all better people!!I have noticed that everyone seems to be making more of an effort to recognize others on the board - I think it's because we all admire you so much! 10 miles slow and steady with the new shoe inserts today. The right foot felt awesome - could have gone another 5 or 6 easily...unfortunaltely the left foot needs more tweeking. Back to the sports doc on Monday! I hope everyone has a great weekend, whether with family or friends, observing Easter or not. Spring is popping out all around us! I saw a mama goose and her little chicks this morning - seems early, but I guess since she's a Canadian Goose she is hardier than most!!!
                        evanflein

Hey Seemomgo! Just wanted to say hi and let you know how much I love my Luna Chix water bottle! I've had others and dumped them, but this one is great. Thanks! BTB, well that really sucks. Hope you can heal up and still have a good race at Boston. Thanks for still offering the pre-race gathering no matter what... DH and I spent some time looking up people on the Boston site. Anyone interested could just pull up runners from Fairbanks AK. It's amazing for such a small town how many really fast guys we have here. My son's XC coach, Kevin Brinegar, is in the first corral. He's won the Equinox Marathon 4 times... the guy is amazing. Mike Kramer, another Equinox stud is in the second corral. I'm the slowpoke of the town. Tongue But I sure felt fast last night! Was going to do just a hilly training run, but the bikepaths have all been plowed and the ice that was there was easy enough to avoid. Got a hilly start, but ended up with 7.3 miles in an hour exactly for 8:14 avg pace. Mile 5 was fun... some downhill, some uphill, tailwind and clear path for 7:44 mile split. Wow, that was fun. No run yet today, but we're still lazing around the house making breakfast... Hope everyone has a great day! (Don't work too hard, PDR!!)
                          SteveP

Good to see a post from you Anachrotech. Your day sounds sweet Holly. We're visting another Church tonight to see a play.
                            TODAY...out at 6:20AM....mid 40's....very dark..... while running in the park I saw a quick shadow in the corner of my eye.....was that a bobcat...mountain lion....hum....or just a deer...as I looped back....a half mile later...in the same location....2 shadows....ah....deer grazing.....as I came back to this area during this 8 mile loop...there they were.....by now they could care less that I was there...beautiful morning.. ...
                            Any one else thinkin' "Lions and tigers and bears!! Oh My!"??? Enke, I can't wait to run through the cherry blossoms and lilacs!!!!! Geez Haller, I'm glad I live in the sticks. This would be great weather for February. Dave, there ain't much kewler than being a grandparent......Sweet..... No runs for a few days. I jokingly asked the Dr for a note telling DW that I need to lay on the couch and whine all weekend. She said that was exactly what I'm to do as well as take my antibiotics and keep my fluids up. I've tried, but, it ain't working out. I've not felt bad, just sluggish. The race last weekend and not being able to talk with John2 till the 1/2 way point made me think I might have a bug. 24 hours after the Dr., I was cleaning the bathroom and singing songs, so I'm already on the mend. Too bad the Dr. didn't write a script for being nekkid while DW has the weekend off.....

SteveP

evanflein

Enjoy the day, folks. I have dinner plans with arf, divechief and Tet -- just hope I can swing it.
                              Waaahhhh! Cry Give them all a big hug for me, please! Sure wish I could go... Seems like ages since I've seen Arf and Tet... (ok, saw Dave in December, but that was awhile ago, too!) Enjoy the evening, I'm so envious.
                              Mariposai

Waaahhhh! Cry Give them all a big hug for me, please! Sure wish I could go....
                                Enkie, I know what you mean...sure wish I could go too Cry Cry Soundie, make that two hugs to each one of them...please. When out for a 13 miler this morning... I can not call this a sproinky one since it was a task to keep going, the feet was tired, most likely it has to do to wearing high hill shoes at the conference for two day...(mental note to myself...no more high hill shoes until marathon training is over). Now off to take a nap and then menu planning time for tomorrow's Easter dinner. Son # 1 is coming from college today yepeeeeee.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard