Masters Running

Saturday, March 22 Runs and Work Outs (Read 640 times)

btb1490

Just got back from Atlanta finally. Only have a short while before having to do stuff for tomorrow. Sunrise service and I have a lot of goodie baking to do! PeterNC- you're right back in the thick of things after your marathon. Awesome! WRFB- I told you the other day that you had your priorities straight, being busy at work you still made time to run and post. Well, here's where I take that back... make sure that beer gets brewed no matter what! anachrotech- please post here more. Glad you are feeling better, and I love that avatar whatever it is! Holly- Smile Nice run! I'm glad it worked out! Fun sounding day too! I was thinking the same thing about my injury that you said, hopefully this will give everything a chance to settle down. I was running out of duct tape. Jeanne- Good job with the double run today! A Happy Easter to you and your family too! Don't give up on your DH running with you. Stranger things have happened. evryday- yep, massage is good. Unfortunately it's been self-massage. TomS- yay on the strong finish run! It all comes together eventually. Tim- good thing it was only deer you saw. Very cool. Nice run! enke- I hope your gym experience doesn't come to what you are fearing. Sad Good luck, and stay strong. Good smells you got there... better than the cologne at the gym! Sarge- There you are! I was gonna call you out, wondering how your wife's training was going. I'm sorry to hear she is hurting. Sad TLC her a lot! I can't believe more snow for you. Cool about the article, I'll check it out later! halllar- way to get your run in. This junk will make Springtime seem all the better. Have a good long run tomorrow. Bruce- that's great that you have a place to run like that. Sounds challenging and beautiful! Paul- good job on your 20 miler! It's always good to get them in the books. fussy- do you wear a hockey goalie mask while pruning your trees? Yikes! Nice weekly mileage PR!!! Dave- Feel better soon and I hope your granddaughter give you an Easter surprise! breger- I see you rest did you good! Good luck tomorrow with your run! Soundrunner- I posted a couple of days ago in farsi that I hope you and your son feel better soon. I'll say it in English this time so you don't have to translate... I hope you are feeling better again really soon. Get that bloodwork done, ok? rochrunner- progress is good! Keep up with the PT, ok? Cmom- that's awesome that you got 10 miles in, after all the crap you were dealing with last week! Yay! Smile I'll bet those baby chicks were adorable! evanflein- thats a great sign that you are feeling so good at this point of your training! A little taper, and you are gonna FLY in Boston! Steve- another classic post from you! Feel better. My plane lands at JFK this afternoon, I take the shuttle to the train station to find my train just pulling away. It's 1 hour till the next one. What's an ansty runner who can't run supposed to do? You walk down the length of one of the train platforms, up the stairs, over the bridge, down the stairs to the next train platform, back down to the other end again and repeat. Again. And again. And again. For 45 minutes. Carrying luggage. It was a great workout! Smile You guys with your well wishes... you make me teary. I wasn't gonna mention that part of it, but your comments and thoughts are so muchly appreciated. Thank you, thank you! Gotta go bake! Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.
      great runs today!! i hoped to get a decent run in this afternoon, but ended up staying at work til 11am for a doubleshift...... by the last hour i was really hitting the wall - it was 16 hours of pure business in the OB triage area last night!! so now after less than 3 hours of sleep i need to get moving and do some preparing for Easter myself............i am going to try and get up early tomorrow and get in a run before 11:30 mass but have to admit i'm not as good as most of you at the getting up early part - i'm more the night owl who can stay awake all night and keep going!! HAPPY SATURDAY NIGHT!!

denise

Hello folks, Late post of an earlier run---busy day today! Out the door at 7 AM--clear, wind down several notches and 22F. Dry roads...I'll take it! Ran an 8.4 mile dyno/fartlek run on a hilly course and managed the whole deal at 7:44-7:46 pace. Feeling fine now, with just a bit of hip stiffness. I think it's airplane sitting related---nothing too painful. BTB!----I am sending healing vibes. No fair at all and take care of YOU! Sorry for all those feeling yucky and under the weather. Steve----that sweet little bunny made me grin (and you do too). Evanflein---you were flying! Cool. I looked up a bunch of Boston bib numbers last night as well. I don't want to get too excited yet and burn out the adrenaline. I am really rooting for a client who just broke 3 hours at Philly and will be in the 2nd corral. She ran a 2:58 and is aiming for a 2:50. Deez4boys, Henrun and Marj---I'll be looking for you next Sunday up in NH. Let's hope for a day like this one (perhaps a tad warmer and less wind)---so hope to meet you. Soundrunner---I hope the energy returns. I have anemia issues and get my levels checked more often in marathon training times. I hope you feel up to the dinner tonight---sounds fabulous. Right after my run today I went to a hockey game (three more weeks to the season that never ends) and then my son's league had a Winter Carnival (uh, guys...it's Spring?!) right at the rink....coaches game was a riot to watch and then there was a family skate and then to top it all off, a mothers game. Yes, yours truly put on hockey equipment and managed to stay on her feet until the very end. The skating is no problem for me, it's the hand-eye coordination and trying to focus on that darn puck! I played right wing (can't do much damage in that position) and had two assists! Big grin I did a pretty graceful wipeout at the very end trying to outskate a bantam player's mother. I clearly forgot the whole "pride comes before a fall" thing! I have also literally and figuratively run my rear off, so I was happy for the padding of the hockey pants! Sticking to running though..... We just finished coloring eggs. Mr CNYrunner and I are going to a friends house for a Nowruz dinner party and then I need to get sleep. I am going to a "runners" Easter sunrise service tomorrow---led by a minister who is a marathoner and after the service a group will head out on a 20 miler. Perfect! Good Saturday afternoon/evening to all, CNYrunner
        anachrotech

anachrotech- please post here more. Glad you are feeling better, and I love that avatar whatever it is!
          Thanks.. glad you like it. It's the robot from the movie "Metropolis".
          PJH

Woke up to 4-5 inches of fresh snow this morning with cold 40km/h winds. Put off my run until this afternoon; the roads cleared but it was still fairly cold. Got in 13.0 mi ... 2:08:11 ...9:51 pace...138 hr. Had thought about doing some MP today, but my legs are still tired from Thursday so decided to stick with ez pace. Btb - very sorry to hear about your injury. Hoping this is only a temporary setback and that you'll rebound quickly. You've been very supportive in my comeback. I'm wishing you nothing but the best in yours. Nice running today gang! Happy Easter to all! PJ

King of PhotoShop

3.3 slow for me on the dirt track. BTB, great attitude; you'll be fine before you know it. Enke, you are right. Jump all over him next time. That'll put an end to it. Soundie, tell those three I said hello. No, I take that back. Don't talk to Tet. I have the whole family coming to dinner tonight; baking a loaf of bread soon. Beautiful day in Dallas. Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

13 miles in the . . . . snow! Sad I kept thinking it really is Spring according to the calendar anyway, so I pretended I was running in sand rather than snow . . . worked for a little while . . . but not long enough. Then I saw a Robin and all was better. DH scolded me when I got home for taking Brinkley running with me, leaving the other two home alone all sad that they couldn't go too. I looked at him like he was nuts! I didn't have Brinkley with me!! Low and behold he was pouting way back in his dog house . . . poor Brinkley! Happy Saturday! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

munchkn883

Fantastic 10 miles with my walking TNT gang. We were in Umstead and the weather was great! Iced my back on the way home and as of now it is still feeling really good! MrMunch and I are going out on his Harley (mine will stay in the garage this time) for a little ride. SteveP -- Too cute....the baby that is!!

Manchild

14 for me in beautiful sunny conditions with a little wind but not too much. Picked my hilly loop through West Tisbury and into Chilmark on Tea Lane with a nice view of the sound. Several large hills made for a challenging LR but I made it! 2:15:39 including breaks for shot blocks and sports beans. Happy Easter to everyone!!! BTB, I hope you have a speedy recovery! Keep it up Ribs, lookin' good! Nice run, Mary! Chris
                      ENKE AND ROCH--was thinking of you today as i had a gym day. It was fairly empty and I walked over to the one "captain's chair" in the entire gym (it looks lilke a tall chair, but there's no seat, so you hang by your arms and do leg lifts and I am sure there is a shorter name for it but I don't know it). Anyway, it--the only one in the entire large gym, is right next to a mat. Now, there are several other spaces in the gym with mats, but only one captain's chair. I realize that Boomers are somewhat invisble to the X generation, but I am hanging on the chair doing leg lifts (in some very bright white and orange pumas). Blondie trots over, tucks herself into the corner of the mat such that I'm sure my sweat will fall on her, whips out her cell phone, and starts having a conversation at cheerleader-level pitch. Being a rude girl from Detroit and no longer living in the Happy Valley of western MA, I look down from my perch and say: "Hey! I'm listening to a book here!" (There were earphones in my ear and a largish, old fashioned CD player propped against the handle of the captain's chair.) "Quiet down, willya?" Shesh! btb--one reason I do those leg lifts is because, yes, I strained a groin/upper hamstring really horribly--not only did I have to ice there, I also went to a sports massage guy. I wore tights and we agreed we would both be ok with it. Do stay off of it--I didn't and put myself out for a long time. I went to a doctor, a chiro, the massage guy, but the PT is who got me healed AND gave me a bunch of things to do so forever (like the chair thing) so it won't happen again. The PTs said I had a loose SI joint, so I had to build and now maintain muscle tone in my abdomin. If that's your deal, there's a belt (created by a PT) you can get that you wrap around your hips and fasten with velcro that stabilizes your pelvic area. I wore it when I ran Grandma's, as I was still working on getting in shape then (in '04). Enough of me--feel better Steve, SOundie, others under the weather, and keep up the hard work of being cheery EVERYONE who is dealing with weather--it looks as if there is a LOT of it going on out there. grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

A, good for you! Last night at the Y that's usually quiet, a gaggle of teenaged girls came in. They tromped loudly on the treadmills, clanged weights, ran around the room, and giggled a lot. Fortunately, they got bored quickly and left, or I would have yelled at them too! I didn't want to do my long run in 20+ mph winds and 35 degrees, so I convinced my son to go to the Y yet again today. It worked out well, because he needed to do 12 miles and I was scheduled for 8.5 - about an hour and a half for both of us! He ended up finishing 7 minutes faster than me, but I was happy - I made it 8.6 miles in 1:36:58. I'm almost to the 2/3 point of a half marathon! The last mile or so was hard, but that's OK. Afterwards, my son made sure I drank and ate something right away. Now I"m sleepy! Happy Easter, everyone! The Y is closed tomorrow, so I may just have to toughen up and run into the wind. I don't want to take a rest day since I had one Wednesday and I'm really aiming for 6 days a week.
                          On a happier note....got my 17 miler done today in beautiful spring conditions. Chilly at first (4C) but it warmed up to 15C!! by the end. I had to wear my sunglasses, what a shame! My legs were dead tired and felt like overcooked udon noodles by mile 6. I honestly didn't know how I was going to make it through the whole run, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. By the last two miles, my pace had totally tanked and I was horrified to see 11:30 on my Garmin, along a flat section no less. Just call me ...the zombie runner... Cute thing I saw today was an elderly couple going for a walk, probably close to 80 or older, holding hands! A cute guy I often see on these trails walking his dog in the mornings actually talked to me today. He saw me at seven miles then again at 17 miles when I finished and said "that was some workout you must have had, didn't I see you, like, hours ago?" He rarily says hi to me, but today he had his girlfriend with him so I guess it was ok. CNYrunner - I always wanted to play hockey when I was younger, but they only had these silly "ringette" leagues you could join. Your game sounded like tons of fun, just don't get hurt so close to Boston!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Cute thing I saw today was an elderly couple going for a walk, probably close to 80 or older, holding hands!
                            Yep....it's spring!
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

20 miles! - after two fizzles over the past two weekends, finally did a 20 miler for the first time since 2006 when arf and ilene doin' 'em all the time got me to do try my first one (and second too) although I'm not sure if walk/running the first 16 miles (with a heavy emphasis on the walking) and walking all the last four counts for my third one or not, especially when ultra-goddess probably finished her 26.2 mile Easter Marathon by more than an hour faster than my 20 I bet. How was it ultra-goddess? (and shoulder-goddess too?). holly - I bet you can't moderate your pace enough next week to run all the way with your friend. I bet she says, "oh, holly, go on ahead and meet me at the finish" and I bet you can't say, "no, no way, I want to run with you and I'll be blessing you all the way when Boston is as joyous!" I dare you Holly! Do it! I bet PBJ can't do it either. Be me next week, be him at the B. enki - i think it's time to start tapering virgin-mary goddess. you are ready. ps- thanks for making me glad I never run on a TM instead of outside where view-leking must not be so noticeable. soundi - a sick goddess is a goddess in need of a hug. ps - I promise not to tell sr whose room I stayed in in Eugene last year. Big grinBig grinBig grinBig grinBig grin viva la primavera! - nothing like the thousands of 'em on some of my old Tokyo runs but, even though I didn't make it to Seattle mother lode of cherry trees at the uinversity and arboretum, still touched almost 300 of the cherry pink beauties up-and-down side streets here and there and along several renowned canopied narrow streets.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

GreenMan

Nice run enke and tet, {{{btb}}} I'm in Germantown MD for a few days with family. I ran 15 miles in the greenway along Seneca Creek. and walked 1. Saw one of these dudes out in broad daylight. Image and video hosting by TinyPic He could have been heron snack.
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.