Masters Running

Tues 15/7 Masterly Runs (Read 449 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - thanks - good article. Since I seem to have some extra time in the mornings now, it might be a good time to focus on some good core work. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Up early for me 5:15 and out the door at 5:45. 58F, sunny and not humid. 12 miles easy pace 10:50. I noticed on my steepest hill, the one that usually has me wheezing and panting by the top, was much easier today. It seemed like my respiration rate hardly went up. It was very weird but nice. awesome workout PDR, I wish I could run a tempo that fast.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

End of lunch hour post for this morning's run. didn't get off to a great start. When the alarm went off at what I thought was 4:45, DW rolled over and said "why is your alarm going off at quarter of 4?" I guess I somehow managed to change the time by an hour while setting the alarm last night Embarrassed Guess it also explains why I thought DW was so late in coming to bed. did get back to sleep for most of the hour, but I'm sure it will be painful this afternoon. anyway, the run: 3.2 lake loop in 27:44 on an absolutely gorgeous morning. About 62 with no humidity. It felt so good that I did 3 x 50 stride striders at what I'd like to think were somewhere at or slightly above 5K pace. very happy with the pace and final time. Now all I need is some more base distance so I can start extending those striders from 300+ yards to at least 5K Wink I can always dream, can't I? Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I Can Go The Distance

Weather not to bad here in SOCAL this morning at 6 AM. 66F and 75% humidity. I did 6 miles easy w/8x100m over the last mile (:32 each). Total time was 55:39 a 9:17 pace. With the strides, I did the last mile in 8:22. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

Great article Tramps, thanks. Absolute rest for me today, too tired from the weekend activities and festivities to do much else. Tomorrow will come soon enough.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

O Boy, do I envy you disciplined folks who got up and ran this am. I don't want to fall asleep in the middle of the All Star game, so slept in and had to run at lunch, when it was 90+ Cry -> that's not a tear, it's me, "glowing." At least the hoomidity was low. 6 miles in just under 54 minutes. grins, A ps: didja see who's in first in the AL East? Embarrassed -> not embarassed, just Red! and as I'm often two steps behind, anyone else remember a little TV show based on James Thurber with William Windom, "My World and Welcome to It?"
              Masters 2000 miles
                A little 3.6 mile tempo run in 31:00 under sunny skies and 86 degree heat but low humidity so it actually felt nice out. I was surprised at my pace as Tuesdays are usually just a slow get the week started day but the leg turnover felt really smooth and the pace was easy. I did slow it down in the last mile so as not to make it to hard of a day. I was really disappointed though. On the last hill just before my house the local kids had a lemonade stand set up as I came home from work and I made sure I had a dollar in my shorts so I could enjoy a ice cold beverage. Maybe that's why I ran so good knowing what was waiting at the top of the last hill. Much to my dismay as I came up and over and was reaching in my pocket for my dollar......The stand was gone...Oh no! Angry Surprised Sad Cry Hope everyone else's lemonade stand is still there at the top of all your hills Larry Edited for bad spelling

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hi everyone been off a few days but ran today at lunch. 10K in 43 and change...It was a tempo run on a fairly hilly course...Had tons of fun racing hard then slowing down and running hard...Went down to 3:20 per K pace quite a few times...The extra pounds I am carrying are not to bad. To keep me motivated I signed up for Canada's First Army Run on September 21st. It's a take on Marine Corps but only has a half marathon and a 5k. Loaded with tons of talent already, some very fast folks. I just want the dog tag medal Big grin Will put a plan together to go for a much faster PR to prove to myself that I can go sub 2:50 in my next marathon. Take care eveyrone Great photo DickyG Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

and as I'm often two steps behind, anyone else remember a little TV show based on James Thurber with William Windom, "My World and Welcome to It?"
                    I have a memory but it's vague. Was that half real life and half drawings? I remember liking it but don't remember any of the shows or really what it was about.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

..ok, just tried to log in and the forum rejected my password....... ,,what's up?? I'm here on a ''New'' foot-long password I'll never remember, how do I put it back?? ,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,30min easy run,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

dg.

hey TW. try training log/options/password. i've been meaning to thank you. it was so nice of you to find that information for me. now i'm back on the road again, i'll have to watch him again & give it a try. maybe first, in private. Wink. Larry, nice run. fast in the heat. too bad about the lemonade. This:
                        Hope everyone else's lemonade stand is still there at the top of all your hills
                        was nice. It sounds like it could be a toast.. "may your lemonade stand....". Smile.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Too funny Larry, there were some cute little girls with a lemonade stand set up on my run too...I didn't have any $ with me since I was on a short recovery run...sigh. 4 very easy recovery miles for me tonight. Man...the heat wave is on. It was 90 degrees during my run, but short enough it was not bad....no Garmin or devices, just shoes and running shorts (settle down ladies, there enough to go around, lol). It's suppose to be mid 90's the rest of the week and coming weekend, so long runs and speed work will be hot! Funny tonight when I got home from work. I was really tired and have been working 12 to 13 hour days. I got into my running shorts and shoes and layed down on my bed for a little 15 to 20 minute power nap. Hour and a half later I woke up and thought...what the heck time is it, and what day..I'm sure you all have been there done that. Guess I needed the rest, huh? These recovery runs done right, are truly refreshing and beneficial.. Have a wonderful night all. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

2.5 mile warm up – 22:28 (9:00) HR Avg 118 / 127 - 86 degrees & 37 % humidity AWESOME - Cool 8 x .5 mile - 3:00 - 3:00 - 2:57 - 2:56 - 2:52 - 2:54 - 2:53 - 2:45 (really worked it for that last one) Smile 4 Mile total - 23:17 - (5:50) Avg HR 166 / Max 196 (Hmmm that max looks a little suspect to me) Confused .59 mile cool down – 5:54 Avg HR 157 / 177 Good night and good runs all !
                            pfriese

Evening all, No running today, but youngest DD and I went for a nice 14 mile bike ride around the lake this evening. Paul
                              evanflein

72 F, 36% humidity... ahhhh. It sure got nice out this afternoon! I set out for a nice easy 5 miler, and ended up with 6.6 at 8:28 avg pace. Kept the effort easy for the most part, well except the run back up the hill, and even that wasn't so bad. Now to get cleaned up for an evening of soccer. Perfect night for it, too.