Masters Running

Tacoma, Washington Area Runners (Read 29 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

My friend Diana is moving to Tacoma, Washington this weekend.  She is very active with our local running club (ORRRC), and looking into joining one in her new location.  Any of you northwest-coasters have advice for her as to a good, active and friendly club?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maniac 505

Holly:

sorry no one has gotten back to you. Tacoma is just far enough away from Seattle that we don't know much about it.  A quick google shows that they have at least one active running club, I'm sure there more, but i'm sure your friend has done the same google search.  There is an area between Seattle and Tacoma with some REALLY fast runners  called "Maple Valley"  I don't know what they put in their water.   they seem to be OK with beginners, but at least one of the ladies from the club started with the elite women in 2007.  another lady from the club was the RD for Tet's recent 100 miler

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tacoma is the home base for Marathon Maniacs so loan her one of your MM shirts and she'll start meeting people all over the place.  Too bad the MM's don't do like the 100-marathon clubs and open membership to aspirants too.  Even if she's not interested in MM (yet), she can start chatting with any of the mamy MM-attired runners and say her friend holly is one and thereby start getting information of her interest. I doubt if she's a barefoot runner but, if she wants to be, we have our annual barefoot run-of-the-month get-to-gether for the past ten years in this Friday's (6-7 @ 7pm) Fremont Fun Run. There's an office-attire briefcase relay and regular runners sometimes show up too (but, It's the Fremont, part of Seattle so not that much).

ps -  \any ORRRC wear or other tee' s from back there will be good conversation starters too, especially if they have to do with stairs or dams.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks, guys.   I will pass on the info to her. I'll let you know where she ends up in the end, just for curiosity's sake.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."