Masters Running

Wednesday July 27th mid-week mania (Read 686 times)

You beat me to it, Tammy.

I have a tough workout planned after work and would love to run on the track but it's 105 now, so guess I'll use the treadmill.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tammy.....do you think that I ran and made the officer chase me for 20 miles was just cause - LOL. I've always thought it would be "kinda funny" to let a police officer chase me - let them "almost" catch me - then take off again over and over. Well, sounds good for a U Tube moment or something.

Heck......I was just my calm little self. Amazed at what followed. And no, they absolutely will not look up a phone number for anyone. Oh, and I forgot to mention this....crazy too. You CANNOT call a cell phone in jail period - it must be a home phone number. Not too many folk even have home phones anymore ??? - me included. That's crazy in itself too !

This was great too......we could watch TV for very short periods of time. I'm in a couple of TV commercials for the place I work. Now, put 2 and 2 together. Yup, my commercial right there in the jail cell. Some of the inmates said............HEY, that's you  Blush   NICE

Yeah, I'm real threatening lookin Roll eyes   I am getting my first tattoo though - 26.2 Maniac one Smile

T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Whew!  I thought I was going to have to turn myself in.

...maybe there's a Reward for Ya...

...we should

check this out....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

10.2 miles this afternoon after a morning of work on a nearby campus. 8:51 pace and a beautiful afternoon. I did a double yesterday and thought my legs would be toast after last night's xc trail 5k race, but I felt pretty good. A bit parched toward the end and stopped at a drinking fountain by the college tennis courts. Just in time. ah!  

{{{{Twocat}}}}} I hope the memories of better times and when your freind was well will sustain you. As long as he knew you cared about him, he and you will have peace. So sorry though----there's no way to be "ready"

Stumpy---thanks for the props. It's hard to keep the running going while traveling for work.  I try to make an adventure out of it and since I work with colleges. universities, and independent schools, I usually find great routes right by the various campuses. I call the x-country coaches at my client schools and ask for advice and sometimes get a running partner that way or I'll be super lucky and find an RAer who doesn't mind getting up at the crack of dawn for a run. I sometimes even look up the local running club and they are always happy to add a traveler. It could also be that I don't sleep well at all on the road, so it's super easy to get out of bed and get out the door. Hang tough....and go for it!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wild story Timbo.. I'd be so po'd.. but then they say ignorance is no excuse.  Who'd have thunk?

Glad you're free!

Ran 10 yesterday mornig 9 yesterday evening and 7.8 this morning... cooler here in Michigan!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Happy birthday to Long Suffering! I hope the dinner and cake plan work out well.

Holly, nice job running those intervals in the dark. I'd trip for sure.

Byll, you run in such H&H conditions that would just make me wilt. You're a tougher runner than you realize. Nice send off, btw.

I got drenched in a downpour yesterday but still got my 6 miles in. Just had to switch from the trail run idea (which turned into rivers of muddy water) to bike paths, which are out in the open (no trees for cover) but paved so not muddy. But big ol' puddles and backed up culverts... wow what a rain we had! Hey, if it helps put out the fires burning south of town it's well worth it. I just wish I'd had my cap.

Hit the gym at lunch for elliptical and U/B weights workout, then planning a run-home-from-work Wednesday run. Seems like a long time since I've done that. At least 4 marathons ago... Smile  Brought my cap this time, too.

Dave59

Oh, and I forgot to mention this....crazy too. You CANNOT call a cell phone in jail period - it must be a home phone number. Not too many folk even have home phones anymore ??? - me included. That's crazy in itself too !

Next time someone asks me why I still have a land line I have a good answer for them.  You got my interest enough to go look that up and it is something other people are talking about on the internet.  No good answers either. 

Maniac 505

Wow Tim,  Scary story.  Who would have thought something so innocent could go so wrong.  If your co-workers hadn't found you, do you have any guesses how long you would have been left in limbo? I guess I need to memorize a phone number and credit card number. 

I am working nights this week,  easy 5 miles today.  I'm feeling pretty good after the Mari's BQ marathon. 

Dave

Hey All,

Down in Perch's former neck of the woods.  Parent orientation for DS2 at NC State.  Go Wolf Pack!  Ran for 50 minutes around campus and surrounding area this morning as the sun was coming up.  I wish I had the red brick contract for that place!

Tim - you seem to spend a lot of time in the school of hard knocks.  I think you should start cutting classes.  Glad they let you out of the pokey.

{{{Twocat}}}

Hope LongSuffering enjoyed her special day!

Byll & Holly - sometimes that feeling is a sign of overtraining.  Just a thought.

Stumpy - in the next ten days, I'd do one or two runs with some farleks thrown in - don't overdo it, it's just to remind your body what speed feels like.  On race day just relax and let it happen.  You might surprise yourself.

Karin - I don't mind early morning runs..hint hint.

Byll - I'm glad you gave your friend a good send off.

Enjoy the gift folks.

Skip

Karin - I don't mind early morning runs..hint hint.

I hear ya! My recent trips to the 'Cuse have not been too recent and are so quick and family focused, but I'll always be in touch when I have run time! SU has had such campaign fundraising success of late, they don't need us much either! Come this way too 'ya know! I recall one morning we met at 5 am or maybe even earlier?! Meaning you had to get up at 3:30 am or some such, yikes!

Forgot to say that the send-off for your friend sounded perfect Bill.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tough way to find out that innocent-until-proven-guilty doesn't necessarily apply after you're arrested.

No particular reason but could you post the phone numbers for the local jails.

better luck in your Ironman quest.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Belated greetings! tim, you are a cautionary tale. And you should write a book. But be careful... I agree you should have been released once you passed the field sobriety test.  Police get a little zealous sometimes though. I got pulled over New Years eve once while driving my DH old car, December registration and back then it was two steps, city and state and he had only done half. So 12:15 or so I get  pulled over for unregistered  vehicle...but we were one of the last out of a restaurant. Well as it happened I was pregnant and had not been drinking, much to the disappointment of the officer. he  threatened to impound the car in the middle of the night in the country, quite the jerk. He quieted down a lot a few weeks later when he learned I was a lawyer and was pregnant.  Punk.

Anyway, nice running for Karin and Tramps.

I ran an easy 6.5 and played some tennis this evening. hoping for some tempo tomorrow.

Weather is great, nice cool evening.

Happy hump day!

Bill, I know what you mean.  Have you thought about doing some of your runs on the treadmill to give your body a break from the conditions?  Or maybe an indoor track?

As I mentioned earlier today, that was my plan and it worked wonderfully.  However, it leaves me wondering if I'm really training for race conditions.  I gave it a 9/10 Quality and 8/10 for Effort.  And Bill, I feel like I'm still talking to you because it was a Tinman workout, 10 miles including 5 x 1km @10k race pace (8:26) with 200m recovery jogs.  Actually, when Tinman had me do it I think it was only 7 miles, so less of a warmup.  Halfway through, I did the intervals but as usual since there's no 8:26 pace on the treadmill I went to the next setting, 8:20.  The first few were okay but the last one was really hard.  I couldn't sustain the 180 bpm cadence from the Podrunner download so I switched songs.  During the mile cooldown, I felt euphoric!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey Tim--maybe you should check some recent race results--maybe you ran into a sore loser that remembers you passing him at the line...well maybe...

Tom--if there were a reward--I'd definately turn myself in--I could use some extra money.  I wonder if it works that way.

Well, tonight I went to happy hour and celebrated a coworker's birthday.  We all thought it was 2 for 1 margaritas--after having 4, I found out they were only $1 off.  Dang.  A little woozy for the run but managed the 6.2 miles in 44:37.  82 degrees--79% humidity.  NCJSTF (not complaining, just stating the facts)  My heel hurt but was tolerable.  

Okay--see ya tomorrow.

Mike, those were weak drinks if your heel still hurt!