Masters Running

soggy sunday july 6 runs (Read 404 times)

vista and those whose posts were prompted by vista's post. I was not offended by any of them. I chose not to get involved but thought that people were posting opinions in a manner that was not confrontational or overly critical of the opinions of others. I found the different opinions interesting and thought provoking. That said, I think we need to be careful to not get started on anything too controversial among our fantastic group. For example, please don't anyone promote one presidential candidate over another or a particular viewpoint on the war in Iraq. I value all of my friends here and want you all to stick around. Dave, nice 10K in Frankenmuth. Way to smash that goal. BC, nice 5K with PR. perch good job in your race with AG win. enke, you did well in your 5K. Don't be so hard on yourself. Aamos, good 10K and it was great your husband is recovered enough for a 5K walk. Holly, why am I not surprised you went for a long run? I'm glad it went fairly well but please be careful. jlynne, the way your hip/leg discomfort keeps hanging around makes me think the doctor idea is a good one (I probably wouldn't do it myself since I'm a bit contrary) and either a break or serious backing off in your training mileage and intensity would be good. Twocat, nice PR at the local race. wildchild, good race for you. evryday, congrats on the anniversary, son's graduation, and 8K race. You've been busy. Sarge, nice 5K with your wife. Nice long runs for Holly, CNY, BC, Peter, Tramps, WRFB, and Twocat. It was another nice morning here. The temp was in the low to mid 50s, it was calm, and it was clear. I got in 6 miles in about 56 minutes for a 9:20 pace which is good for me recently. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
    evanflein

Larry, that's pretty much my experience with my HRM. I leave it at home usually. I had so much running planned for this weekend... But just felt too poorly to pull it off. I did manage an easy 6 yesterday and that felt ok. Sure is strange to have my runs limited by lung capacity... I had to keep my breathing sort of easy or I'd double up coughing. Dead Feeling much better today though, and want to try a long run but probably not the 15 originally planned. I'll take my cell phone and call for a ride if I need to. CNY, I do that before vacations, too. Drive myself nuts! I never get everything done and frequently am late getting to the airport trying to finish up just one or two more things. It's crazy. I'll know I've grown up when I can just look at the mess and say, "see you later!" Holly, sure hope you take it easy... Back to work tomorrow. I've gotten lots done in the garden this weekend, which is good... but sure not ready to go back to the office. I am taking the next couple of Fridays off though. I have lots of leave accrued and it's so nice here now... A real shame to spend these days in a sealed up building!
        15 slow miles today - each one a struggle, but I got it done. I'm listening to Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns and that helped a lot.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

evanflein's comment to CNY reminded me that CNY asked the other day whether we had gone to one place or another while in Mexico. Wherever it was, we didn't go there. All we did was sleep, eat, drink, repeat. Now we know what it's like to be a cat.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I Can Go The Distance

Good Sunday Everyone After my race on Friday and LR yesterday, I was ready for a recovery run today. I did six miles very easy in 1:05:27 (10:55/mi pace). My legs felt fine and I had no fatigue from my two hard runs. The race on the 4th was the one I had been pointing toward since March and wanting it to be my best race of the season. I guess I can say Mission Acomplished. That will be my last race now until the Fall months. Like many of you I don't like racing in the heat (even though I did well in the heat at Lomita). I plan to increase my mileage some over the rest of the summer, but most runs will be at an easy pace (with some strides thrown in once or twice a week). Hope everyone has a great rest of the holiday weekend. Tomorrow it's back to work. Cry Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg.

hi Smile Susan, you've added a whole new perspective to the slug battle. geesh. I'm glad this year is better. reading about all the h & h... I feel the slightest bit guilty enjoying our blissfully perfect weather, but it's our turn. Wink. Tall, enjoy the beach & your girls. nice run, Peter. hey Aamos! I'm glad you mentioned that interview. I was enjoying it on my way to the gym, but missed her name. ... over 60% humidity is unusual there??? oh my goodness. I did have a good workout, although it was just killing me to look outside & know how absolutely perfect it was. i was grateful for the opportunity to move, really. 26 min. on the elliptical, 30 on the arc trainer, & 28 on the recumbant bike. Most Importantly!! i went upstairs to the track after the elliptical & tried just one lap. 200 meters, 8:51 pace Big grin. it hurt a little when i was done, but i was so happy. i've had this little fear in the back of my head that maybe i wasn't going to be able to do this. I don't usually listen to music while i'm at the gym, but npr gave way to Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Double Trouble", "Elliptronica" (AAmix2), then "Wish you were here". It sure made the time pass. while i was there i saw a friend who is the manager of a local running store, & met his girlfriend. he's about my age, maybe a little younger. long time high level runner. he has 3 significant injuries, & continues to coach soccer. not getting better. a mystery. We both roll our eyes. Speaking of elliptical entertainment, i forgot to tell you about something i saw last week. The subject was a major backyard renovation. Homeowner was most unhappy, esp. with the state of the 'yard'. (huge beautiful Maples). The yard guru came & was very enthused. He said "look at this. this is moss. people spend a lot of money for this. & this... this is creeping charlie. this is all just what nature intended. we'll leave it". First, I got a whole new appreciation for my back yard. Second... where is Labduck? Ribs, good insight re DickyG. I like your plan... maybe edit as necessary for excessive H & H? Haller, I'm odd too. Tom, did the horse get a shower? Twocat, I'm glad you're back. a lot of us asked about your DW while you were away. I'm glad to read that everything seems ok.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good afternoon! Rest day today. Spent the morning cleaning up after last night's party and then went to the pool for a couple of hours. Great fun last night, first time we have shown our new house to friends and family. We had lots of food, cornhole, pinata for the kids, and of course illegal fireworks which we let off in the middle of the street out front. Smile Might have to make a 4th of July party an annual tradition.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wow - lots going on around here the last few days...........i've pretty much caught up with reading the dailies but since i have no idea where to begin to respond - i just wont but know i read and thought about all!! we were away camping for 3 nights with friends ...... no internet service, but lots of relaxing fun thursday morning put in a 5 mile run along the rolling hills outside the campground -- my avg pace was a lot slower than normal but that's ok -- felt good and felt like i accomplished something as i tackled those hills....put in a lot of walking and some biking over the weekend as well!! happy belated 4th of july!! oh ya -- the campground celebrated their Christmas in July this weekend --we were disappointed in the time as we felt this is a weekend to be totally patriotic but whatever -- their campground their rules -- i did put up a few christmas decorations amongst all my 4th of July decorations!!

denise

Manchild

Good afternoon! Some great runs out there in some tough conditions!! I took time out and went for a nice easy 5iver at about midday today. The sun attempted to come out several times but for the most part, it remained overcast and extremely humid! Like Peter, I took a dip in our pool following which instantly cools down the entire body. Sorta like a summertime Erika ice bath in a way. Big grin Cut the lawn and raked, got the hammock out and went out and bought gas at 4.69 a gallon! Have a greta evening everyone!! Christo
                      Craneium, As I had posted after one of your post's a month or so ago. If you have any time while your in Perth I believe give me a shout and we could meet. Perth is about 45 minute country drive from my house. My girls will be with their mom from the 11th to the 25th so I have quite a bit of flexibility for a run or a coffee. Especially on early weekends. If you feel like racing while your here I can tell you what events are taking place. There is even a race on in Perth Saturday July 19th, a 5K and a wife carry race...very unique and I assume dangerous event...here's the link: http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=3356 Anyway, would be happy to make your acquaintance. Tallruner You can contact me at fguay@rogers.com privately if need be.

Recent Best times: None recently

On the soft horse trails today. 65F, overcast. Did not see another runner the entire time, but lots of horses/riders. It's too bad, I think this is one of the best places to put in the miles around here with their soft groomed trails. 16 miles in 2:59:06 for 11:12 pace, which actually isn't bad since I took some new routes and ended up probably at one of the highest points in the city (nice view). Garmin says I climbed 5300 feet over the length of the run, but I usually halve that number to get a number that corresponds more closely with USATF maps and total elevation reported on race course maps. I walked some of the hills and sometimes stopped to let the horses by, never turning off the Garmin, so am feeling pretty good about my overall pace.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I would have preferred rain instead of the near 80 degree heat. Actually if I ran earlier it would have been cooler, but then I couldn't acclimate to heat complain. :-) Other than a bit too warm it was great just to be out running for a long time. 15 miles at roughly 7:30 pace. Lots of cyclists out, but no other runners. odd... Looking forward to rest tomorrow busiman
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                          evanflein

11.5 miles... less than I'd originally planned but probably more than I should've done. My legs felt totally void of sproink. I didn't take water which isn't unusual for me, but I sure needed it today. I stopped my watch for awhile and prowled around campus looking for an open building for a water fountain... Rats, all closed up for the holiday! I did find a hose attached to a faucet and was able to turn it on... ick, warm hose water. Bleh. Oh well, it got me going again for the last 1.5 miles till DH caught up with me and took me home in the truck. The temp reading was 81F... no wonder I was so wilted!! I'm looking forward to an easy day tomorrow...
                            Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

About 6.5 miles in the AM with DH on a trail in the woods of the Watershed Preserve (where I'll run a small marathon in August). A bit humid but a nice break from my usual path. I'll try to get back into a better routine of longer runs , forget the excuses and just go for it! Happy Sunday !! Francesca
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Well, the thread title applied to my run as well today. I waited for a break in the rain, and took the dogs out for 3 miles. IRC - mid 50s, overcast, but not raining. Then I dropped the dogs off at home and headed out for another lap, and it started raining again. I did a couple of shorter loops instead of the long one I intended, so if there was lightning I wouldn't be too far from home. Total about 7.3 miles, untimed. I was quite wet by the end. And now as I look outside, the sun is coming out. Oh, well, running in the rain felt nice. I was actually a little chilly, which felt great for a change.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.