Masters Running

Wednesday August 20 Boomer/Master Runs (Read 379 times)

Yeah Holly. I agree. During every storm down here there are idiots who go out surfing (the regular variety) to catch some waves. I've never heard of anyone doing this dumb act thouh. I didn't post a link to the video because of the seriousness of the injuries to the person involved and didn't want to make light of his situation. I see where whoever posted the video on YouTube took it down too ... probably for the same reason. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Roch and Mary – someone just told me that the water is too cold for swimming in Lake Michigan – is that true of the western beaches that you’re talking about Mary? I’m thinking about Grand Haven, Saugatuck, maybe?
      Well, there are thousands of people swimming in Lake Michigan - so I think it must be warm enough! I think you'd want to come during July or early August for the warmer water temps. If you stay in the Grand Haven area - there is an amusement park north of us www.miadventure.com about a 15 minute drive. Saugatuck is to the south with lots of cute shops. I think the kids would enjoy the Grand Haven area better. I was going to say that we could run together - but I think I'd have to ride my bike to keep up with you.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Sarge, add my condolences for the loss of you father in law. Your whole family is in my thoughts, especially your mother in law. jlynne, it sounds like it was good your friend went to the hospital when he had trouble breathing. I hope he is doing well. bike, it sounds like there was some justice with the lady driver you encountered. I can't help but assume the attitude you saw was imposed upon the officer at the scene and may have contributed to her ticket. Peter, congrats on 1200 miles for the year. ribs, you're doing some serious walking. I'm glad to hear of your progress. mariposai, it's neat you got to have dinner with tet. Twocat, I have no advice about your eyes but wish you the best whatever your decision. CNY, nice race with 1st masters woman. Holly, I join hopeful and Steve in promoting the west shore of MI. As they have stated, there are a lot of fantastic beaches there. I've been to the adventure park Mary mentioned and it's pretty good sized and fun for kids and adults. My favorite beaches are at Ludington, but there's a lot of nostalgia involved. As someone who doesn't like to go in the water unless the temperature is like bath water, I feel Lake Michigan is generally cold, but there are sure a lot of people who get into the lake. Even though I've only been there once, there's a big inland lake, Silver Lake, in the sand dunes near Hart. That might be warmer than the big lake. Nice long runs for perch (hilly), bike, Twocat, and CNY. This morning, the temperature was in the high 40s and it was calm and clear, a beautiful morning. I got in 6 miles in about 59:30 for a 9:54 pace. It didn't feel too bad. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          Thanks for the nice comments on my 5K race. Low-key gym workout: 100 pushups 100 situps 1 mile on the elliptical I like my gym because it is a big rambling multi-level family-owned place, with members of all ages who are real people, and a minimum of spandex-clad social climbers. I was about to say it's a nice laidback gym, nothing like a meat market, except I do get hit on sometimes, like this morning. But I don't like to brag. Big grin Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            I'm not sleeping in either, just really busy at work. So here's another run posted a day late: Tuesday - 6.24 miles - 52:40 (8:26) - AVG HR 122 MAX HR 139 - Temp 76 degrees & 34 % Humidity now that's more like it. Big grin I'll be looking to get a nice 6 - 8 miles in this evening and it looks like another cool dry afternoon run with temps right now running at 69 degrees with 46 % humidity. Sarge - so sorry to hear of your loss as well. It's nice to hear that you have a good relationship with your MIL, I'm sure that she appreciates you and your DW especially at a time like this. Lot of nice runs going on out there, keep it up everyone! You too Ribs, I can hardly believe how quickly you seem to have recovered. I know that you aren't running but you sure are getting around and putting in some nice walking miles! Wink
            wildchild

Carolyn

Sarge, so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family. My in-laws too are wonderful folks. Nono, I hope you're hanging in there, too. Jlynne, that's some fast walking! I did a trail run of 4 miles in 52 minutes yesterday, and you walked 4 in 55 minutes! Handymom, good luck with that ankle. You're so lucky your son runs with you! I wish I could get DD back to running - she's started the C25K about 4 times but gets too busy. Mari, I'm so jealous that you get to run around DC and meet Hally and the Beers! Pictures, please! Twocat and CNYrunner, what's with the 20 miles on a Wednesday before breakfast? Trying to make the rest of us look bad? I thought that was Perch's job. Big grin Karin, you and your DH sound like terrific parents, not goobers at all. Happy 12th to your DS! After I bailed on my lunchtime run yesterday, due to being a heat wimp, I had the most wonderful trail run on the way home! I ran up an east-facing ridge, so it was already in shadow at 6 pm, and the cool air blowing in my face as I entered the woods was soooo nice! I ran/walked two miles up to a beautiful meadow (800 ft elevation gain) - it took about 30 minutes on the way up, then 22 minutes back down. The trail is really rocky in places so I couldn't run fast, even downhill. Trail runs are good for the soul; I knew there was a good reason to bail on my lunchtime run!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sarge.. so sorry about your FIL. Karin... nice to be able to do a 20 on a Wednesday.. and even more special just 12 hrs fater your least effort! Lookin strong! Hi there DH! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory, AHR 138

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

We had a family reunion in Door County in 1998 - it was lovely, And I grew up on Lake Michigan in southeastern Wisconsin. Spent many happy summer days at the beach swimming in the big lake. Kids don't care about the cold, and our parents couldn't get us out of the water. Condolences to Sarge and family on the loss of FIL. I ran 9 miles this morning, starting a bit late at 4:45AM. That got me home late, into the shower late, on the road to work just a little late, and pulled into the parking lot right on time. Good thing there wasn't much traffic.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

King of PhotoShop

Nice work Twocat and Karin. When I left the hospital the surgeon warned me I would have some days of tremendous fatigue, but so far except in the early days, I have felt super. But today is one of the days he must have been talking about because I have so little energy. The Saint and I did 3 miles outdoors in pretty steamy conditions at a 17 minute pace. I was happy to get some walking in, so no complaints out of me. Tomorrow will be a great day, I know it. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I was going to say that we could run together - but I think I'd have to ride my bike to keep up with you.
                      I forgot that you lived up that way, Mary. If we end up vacationing up there, I would LOVE to run with you! I'm definitely looking for family friendly, so I was already looking look at Grand Haven - I read somewhere that FamilyFun magazine rated it A+ for family vacationing. Any suggestions on best section of the area to stay? We're thinking of renting a cottage/house for a week (2 families). Thanks also to TomS for the suggestions - I've sent away for brochures from both of those places.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sorry to hear about your FIL, Sarge. My DW's dad died when she was a kid, but my MIL has also been nothing but the best.
                        Roch and Mary – someone just told me that the water is too cold for swimming in Lake Michigan – is that true of the western beaches that you’re talking about Mary? I’m thinking about Grand Haven, Saugatuck, maybe?
                        Mary is the western MI expert, as I'm here in the southeast of the state, where you will definitely not find any vacationable beaches. One of our first family vacations that I remember when growing up was a resort somewhere in western Michigan, and in the early 1950s that was a very long drive from Cincinnati (no expressways at all). The only thing I recall about its location is that the closest city was Benton Harbor, and there was an amusement park called "Silver Beach". I also remember that there was a cool cable-car out behind our cottage that took us down to the beach every day, so we must have been at the top of the dunes. But enough of long-lost days. Did 40 miles this morning on the bike. It was barely 50F when I started, so I wore leg and arm warmers, undershirt, full-finger gloves, etc., but was able to strip all that off by the time I made the return trip. I've got a run with a friend scheduled for tomorrow as my recovery progresses.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

My condolences Sarge.
                          Karin...and even more special just 12 hrs fater your least effort!
                          Perch, dude, you gotta start proofreading or you risk insulting one of the best runners here. Wink Ok, all chuckles aside. Had a great TM interval session last night. On the advice of the wise ones, I shortened my "rest" interval time to two minutes, and kept the "work" portion managable. Quite managable. 2 mile w/u @ 5.6mph (10:43 pace) 8 x 800m (7.5mph; 8:00 pace) with 2 min walk recovery (almost 5 miles total with the walking) water break, feeling too good so I had to see how long I could hold onto 8.0mph (7:30 pace). Longer than I expected: 1.1 mile @ 8mph (7:30 pace). I have never done that before!! 2 mile c/d @ 5.6mph (10:43 pace) 10 miles total...rockin and a groovin!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke, sweet! Perfectly done. You should feel great! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Enke, those are some terrific paces... congrats on an excellent run! And I do like the treadmill for stuff like that... you can dial in your pace and know what you're doing, with no kids, cars, hills, dogs, etc to get in your way. Good job! Sarge, sorry to hear about your FIL. I remember when mine passed away several years ago. It was really hardest on the grandkids because Opa was gone, but all of us knew he was so much better off. His last few years were incredibly hard on his body and spirit. Hope your family can remember all the good times and smile at the memories. Mariposai, have an excellent time in DC!! I'll be out that way next month... You had an awesome run and that 7:30 mile is most impressive! (all you guys talk about how I'm so much faster than you... that's about 10k pace for me!! See? Not so hard... right??) Another glorious sunny day here... where were these days a month ago?? Our month of July and early August were so awful... Now it's beautiful again, and the kids are back in school today!!! DS2's first day of high school. He's nervous but excited. They could hardly get to sleep last night and had to be up at 6 this morning (bus comes at 7 a.m.), so it was a grumpy crabby morning at our house! They seemed ok by the time they left, but it was a hard start to be sure. I've forewarned all my guys that I'm running after work today... 6-8 miles and I'm looking for hills. Will try the Equinox hill... up Ester Dome, but not sure how far to go. It's so steep it's a hard workout, but distance becomes an issue if I want 8 miles, I'll start at mile 8 and go up to about 12 or so... but it's so steep I'll end up walking a lot of that. So, I'll play it by ear. Might find a less steep part and go up and down a few times.
                                great runs out there today!! ((sarge and nonoruns)) sorry for your loss and know you and your families are in my prayers so - after an unusual 12 hour day shift on little sleep and donating blood yesterday, i totally passed out last night around 10ish and didn't get my lazy butt out of bed until 8am!! Shocked i must have been totally drained and on the dehydrated side since i never got out of bed for a br break and can't remember the last time i've been in bed for that many hours!! yikes!! Shocked today - longest run since my back issues early April - did 9 miles and took it easy -- after a couple of 9:30 pace miles i slowed down more and took some walk breaks as needed -- ended up with an avg pace of 10:27, total time 1:34:09, avg hr 165 and burned 953 calories - woooohooo!! happy wednesday!!

denise