Masters Running

Sunny Sunday Daily Sept 28 (Read 592 times)

evanflein

Nice runs out there for lots of you, but special WooHoo to Mary on her 22, and Deb on her 10! You ladies are doing great. Mary, glad to hear you liked the S caps. I use them too. But remember, they don't give you energy, just help with cramps so that sproink you felt was all YOU! Perch, good job on that 20 miler. I'm still concerned about that leg of yours... Hope things hold together for Raleigh, and who knows, you could surprise yourself! Byll, congrats on nailing that run. Nice when that happens. Hope your DW is recovering well.... we have several Handicap parking spaces at work, and it seems they're always empty or just one car. Doppel Bock... welcome. Tell us a bit about yourself! We can tell you're a speedy runner, what else you got? Mainerunnah and Twocat! Get over it. Knock off the whining about the treadmill. They're a useful tool that helps you reach your goals and should be treated as such. Mine saves my running butt on many occasions, and I am very thankful to have it waiting for me when I need it. We got snow last night! Looks like a couple inches out there. It's sunny now though, and we'll see highs in the high 30's or maybe 40, so I'm hoping it'll mostly melt off, especially off the bikepath. I still have carrots, beets and potatoes in the garden and lots of detritus from the moose to clean up, so will get to that when it warms up a bit. So... for now I just finished waffles and working on my last cup of coffee while laundry finishes up. I love lazy Sundays... but this afternoon will be busy!
    evanflein

I don't think I've ever actually eaten a Brussel sprout.
      Really? I find that amazing. Went to dinner awhile ago with a friend who saw a roasted beet salad on the menu. She said she'd never ever had beets, and couldn't imagine them in a salad. I ordered it and shared with her, and she loved it. Now she eats beets all the time! Big grin
        Wowsa...Hopeful and dg.....I was just so happy to read about your runs. You deserve great solid runs like that. Makes it seem like anything is possible eh? For myself.... a blissful 12 mile run on soft trails. I thought my foot would only last for 6 or 8, so I was feeling pretty high when I hit 11 and only had one more mile to go. I probably could have done another 4 for 16 total but the rest of my body, every part pretty much except that spot on the foot was getting achy!!! The first 4 miles I was performing a "status check" on the foot with every footstrike, but that got old fast and I decided to stop looking for trouble, it would wake me up from my daydreams if it came along. Lots of other runners out there today too....beautiful coolish temps and dappled sunlight through the woods. Big grin First 4 mile loop: 11:50 avg pace Second loop about 11:37 Thrid 4 mile loop 11:00 Cool, I never intended to speed up (ok last mile I did).

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

..dg//......thanks, yeah I FINALLY shook it,,,, ,,,hey, are you ''dg9'' over at KR?? was gonna send you a PM but they got Three dg's..... ps,,,,,,great running, I KNOW you're feeling better.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Forgot to give a review for the movie "Run Fat Boy Run." Not worth the $$$ to rent it. It was entertaining in spots, but really not that good. The story line follows a guy who leaves his engaged, pregnant fiance at the altar, then tries to win her back several years later after she meets a workout fanatic who runs marathons. Of course, the only way he can prove he's worthy to win her back is by running the marathon and beating the new boyfriend. Hank Azaria plays the part of the new boyfriend, and if anyone remembers him from "The Bird Cage" where he plays the part of the houskeeper who can't walk with shoes on his feet, it's hard to take him seriously in any other part. Had some good moments - definitely not a movie for kids! Go see "Burn After Reading." If you like the Coen Brothers, you'll really like that movie.

Renee the dog

Just got back from a 5 miler with Renee. Little slower than yesterday. We got fried in the middle of the run. Seriously -- went out with black clouds and a plan to run fast as it looked like the heavens would open up any second. About a mile out, sun broke through and wind died. I was in a dark shirt. Temperature felt like it spiked 20 degrees. We slowed down and just kept chugging along. Finally at mile 4, sun went back behind the now just dark gray clouds. Relief! Also had my calf just give out as I landed on it early in the run. I managed to stay upright, but it is the side where I'm having tendon problems. I'm icing now, and will have to evaluate my situation in the morning and possibly adjust my running schedule for next week to include a bit more rest days or ever other days. Little hard to do with my husband's travel schedule, but I'm sure I can work something out! All you brussel sprouts lovers have me convinced that it might be worth sampling them again. After all, I was about 9 the last time I tried them.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

I"m so pathetic. i've been watching the clock since 6:00 to see if it's time to go to bed. Roll eyes Enke, that's such happy foot news.Smile i love the constant status check.. i've done that with my hamstrings, along with a certain kind of landing that seems to take pressure of them. it definitely gets old. thanks for the wtgs! i've gotta say, i feel funny being lumped in here with Mary. Mary, you get to wear the whoohoo crown. (do we have one?) but it was a bit of a milestone for me, and it's been a long time coming, so thanks. TomWhite, yep that's me. oh good, do I still get one? I'm glad you're finally better. this one sounded like a record breaker. Nono I hope your calf is ok. Erika, i was going to commiserate about your weather, but decided if we ignore it maybe it will go away. !

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After lynden found such a good carbo-feed for us that he was the only one who didn't take a doggie bag home, 26.2 miles in the sunshine (none of last year's rainstorms) along the beautiful shores along and bluffs above Bellingham Bay in less that 5hr/30 I was hopin' would be possible. As with last year's two mariposai miles, ran two joyful miles with BC Goddess and CR'er Jura awed as she made up for the chronic injuries that DNS'ed her planned belly last year with a 4:35 today in her first ever marathon. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

HOW TO COOK BRUSSELS SPROUTS SO THAT EVERYBODY LIKES THEM: Finely dice a small onion, a carrot and two or so ribs of celery. Slice some bacon widthwise into 1/4 inch strips slice bottom off of brussels, then quarter. you'll also need some dry (white) vermouth (or wine), some freshly chopped thyme, and some caraway seeds. if you like the taste of caraway. So, cook the bacon til crisp, remove from pan, empty out most of the bacon fat, but leave some in. Turn the heat down a little, then add carrots, onions and celery- cook about two minutes. Add caraway seeds if using, and quartered brussels; stir. Add a little water-just a bit, and stir the pan. Add vermouth (watch out-it flames), salt, pepper and chopped thyme. Add cooked bacon back to pan and serve. I cooked professionally for seventeen years....this is solid. 6.78 hilly miles in the rain...a little under an hour @ 8:46/mile, 138/171 Lots of strong runs today, everybody......too many to mention

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mary, very nice job girl fren....you rock and your excitement shows. DH, you really really don't get it, do you. Just count the number of members lost here the last couple of days, and see if it's worth your ego....grow up. Because of you, there are some well respected members that may never post here again...I will not mention names...as some has asked about. Karin, I really do understand, and hope you will still post your runs and everyday stuff...you motivate me to run better and stronger. To the rest, please stay here because you ALL are an inspiration!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

xor

Woohoo barefoot jon! WAMU wishes you a Whoo hoo (who hoo) as well! Bellingham is hilly.

SO happy to hear about Jura....I kind of remember her from the old CR and from KR....and I know she has been through a lot of injuries, long recovery etc etc. You too Tetsujin....sounds like a very pleasant 26.2 run on a beautiful PNW day. Hopefully we can get Franc and clan out for the Salmon run next Sunday. I'll be there rain or shine, able or injured, running or not running. Walt - that kind of beats my method of steaming them, salt and butter. I was salivating reading your recipe.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Walt, that sounds a bit complicated, but delicious! And i thought you were going to say "Drink the wine, throw away the brussel sprouts." (At one time I used to watch the Galloping Gourmet regularly.) I just peel off the outer leaves, cut off the bottom then cut an incision in the bottom of the stem, and drop them into fast boiling water for a couple of minutes, them melt butter over them. Should be almost crunchy, definitely undercooked. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

TammyinGP

I'm so happy to hear of how well Jura did on her first marathon! I can only hope my first is in such a good time like hers. And YAY to Tet on another marathon! What number is this now? And a huge Congrats to Mary on your 22! Your excitement is just flowing from your post. I've never tried S caps before, but I'll keep that in mind for when I work my way back up to that distance. Enke, I'm glad that distance didn't seem to bother you much. I'm sure that was a relief to you as well. My planned 10 miles was cut short at 6 today. I was running on the track and it was just getting too warm. I could feel the warmth rise up through my shoes. And I was having crampy tummy issues the more I ran, so I bagged it.

Tammy

DoppleBock

more - In time Big grin I like to drink beer! I've been around for awhile More to come

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !