Masters Running

December Masters Miles and 2013 Totals (Read 62 times)

SubDood

Most of my runs in 2013 started and stopped from this spot (photo taken last January or February): [MTA updated 2014 photo on right]

snowboxes  2014 mailboxes in snow

Unfortunately, it looks exactly like this right now! (Except not upside-down -- not sure why that happened)

Despite this, I managed a year that exceeded my expectations:

2013:  2,647.2 miles total.  December: 326.9 miles.  Current Streak: 82 days.

All-time PRs: Marathon, Half, and 1-mile.  AG winner at Twin Cities 5K (old guy PR).

[My 2013 mileage total equals the distance of 101 marathons, plus an extra mile "cooldown."]

#artbydmcbride

2066 miles in 2013

Dec = 180.1 miles

Runners run

mrrun

one of our two local reservoirs, probably around mile 21 - however, you can't see it while running the marathon

Well I blush to enter my miles, but I hit 212 for 2013. I was able to start up in June, got a Garmin in August, so starting keeping track them I did have am elevation gain of almost 10,000 feet.

Here is my 2013 highlight.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

an amazing likeness

(pic is Montsweag Bay, Maine. -10F on Sunday Jan 5 2014)

DEC: 163.7

YTD: 2,095 mi

I've run in locales from the Pacific west coast (San Francisco) to Atlantic east coast (Cape Cod) and in between, and in each New England state; I've run in temps from -4F to 90F; I've run in snow, sleet, rain, fog and resorted to the treadmill when needed to keep miles up.

It's been a year of constant pain nursing 2 partially ruptured hamstrings that knocked me out for nearly two months.

Did set a 10K lifetime PR, and ran 6 half marathons under 1:45 down to 1:38. Missed my half marathon PR by 7 seconds...sigh, had I only known it was that close, I could have found 7 seconds.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

New skirt in town

SO MUCH fun to read through this thread and see everyone's highlights!

December was a low-mileage month for me, felled by bronchitis that is only now letting up.  60.3 miles

2013: 1341 miles.  Also lower than I had hoped.

Running highlight:  running my first 5K with my DS!

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mariposai

Very cool thread.

Total for Dec. 185 miles.

Total for the year: 1850 miles

10k fastest PR in history for me: 53:18

Sweet memories:

Running with my son Daniel his first marathon

Running a marathon with the Posie  family on my 50th b-day.

Running and meeting up with RA family on my 50th b-day (including surprise a surprise visitor from back East)

Running with my friend Joel his 60th b-day marathon.

Running a solo marathon in my hometown, Paraguay

Running the Reach the Beach Relay with twocat and our relay team, Rosie Ruiz, and meeting up with Jay and Deez4boys.

Hiking the Wonderland trail: 93+ miles around Mt. Rainier.

What a great fitness year!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTY

December was just about typical of my running meiles for 2013. 59 miles for the month,  510 miles for the year.  Some months were goose eggs during the initial recovery from the ITBS.  I think this was my first sub 1,000 mile year since I began my log.  I also think I probably won't log any more 1,000 mile years.  Trying to find a new balance.

Thanks for this thread!

50.8 miles for December

975.1 for 2013

Both totals fairly dismal but 2014 is a New Year!  No pictures because where I run now is not interesting or scenic at all.  But just wait till the end of 2014.  I'll post some beautiful pictures from up there for sure!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

There are some terrific pix on this thread…can't wait to see final results!  Thanks for doing this Carolyn and hopefully someday I will figure out how to add pix!  Congrats to all on a wonderful 2013 and may we all run MORE and stay healthy in 2014!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm going to start posting my mileage again - it helps motivate me!

85.6 in December.

511.6 in 2013.

I'm determined to stay disciplined this year!  My reach goal is 2,000 km.  My practical goal is 1,000 miles.  My legs are feeling great, but my feet need some TLC. They are pretty beat up.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

well this has been the worst year of running for me since I started running about 7 yrs ago.

December: 5.6 miles

2013: 750 miles.

I don't even have the desire to go review any of my races to see if there were PR's. I think there were at least two AG awards, but everything else was pretty "meh" so I'm choosing to just file 2013 away, get this injury healed and move on to better things.

Dear Tammy,
                          I’m so sorry about your current troubles and switching out of the Giants Marathon reunion to the half.  However, compared how overwhelming the marathon distance is not only in the doing but also in the physical and mental preparation, the half marathon is much more forgiving, agreeable and suitable with the rest of most peoples' lives <<<(that would include you too)>>>
                          Without the worry about marathon success, you can look foward to a Giants free from doubts, concern and full of joyous participation in the reunion part. Have fun.
                          In the meantime, congratulations on your 5.6 December miles in spite of all you are dealing with. Having experienced the ignominy of Wildchild’s minimalist miles way too many times myself, and in appreciation of our running relationship in the past, it seemed the right thing to do to limit my December miles to four miles too when you responded to my post last month that that’s about all it looked like you were going to get for the whole month. 
                          Little did I know that you would sneak out another 1.3 miles and leave me hanging on my own again for another monthly minimalist.  It’s not you though as injuries cannot be helped.  It’s most definitely me as I must have misunderstood and I’m never had that much mental motivation anyway.
                          Either way, good luck on your road to recovery as the year progresses. Though I’ll be back on my own again, your support over the years will continue to be a much-appreciated motivation. No matter what, the first five miles of the Eugene Marathon with you will remain as five of the best miles in my life.

Thank you.

Good luck.

'

===============================

Tetsujin - December 2013: 4 tammy miles
                          YTD - 506.9 miles

=============

A. 2013 Highlights
                          1.  Disavowing my vow not to run any more marathons after after turning 70 yo.
                          2.  Completing 100 miles in the Pigtails Challenge.
                          3.  being in Japan for Noriko Sakota’s 1,000th marathon in August
                          4.  Exceeding 500 annual miles for first time since 2007

B.  2013 Lowlights
                          1.  Missing the Pigtails cutoff
                          2.  Missing this year's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel

3.  Over-exceeding 500 miles for the first time since 2007

==========

ps - I've seen better pictures of Robin that, for some reason, I'll never forget but liked seeing jay's costal route and  the Equinox again. Mike and son should join wildchild and holly's moab on a cover somewhere.   

Vow for 2014 - train enough to do Pigtails for real.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I think this thread should be a sticky.  It is incredible.....the highs, the lows, the beautiful pictures that inspire us to run.

2013, well, the 13 says it all.

Family issues to deal with (separated Jan 4, divorce final Dec 4) the whole thing shocking to me.  But we are all healthy as can be, so I am thankful for that.

Running stagnated, not necessarily due to family issues, but partly due to foot issues and a lack of priorities!  Total yearly miles was somewhere between 600-700, my all time high being 1800 miles in a year.  With that in mind, I came close to my 5K PR!

Highlights, meeting up with Tetsujin and DIve twice this year, being part of Posie's 50th celebration, meeting new RA friends, Carolyn, MikeE, Pfriese, Twocat. Fjordrunner, I feel I am forgetting someone......hope not!

IBUB, incredible!!!

Erika....loved your photo!

MikeE....terrific photo of you and Erik, next time, get his foot planted and yours in the air, and you will look almost as tall as him!

Too many other great photos and achievements to comment on.

Part of my favourite route (I call it, the tunnel of runnerly love)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

December miles: 132.5

Total 2013 miles: 1,327.3

Biggest highlight of 2013:  Running a 5k PR of 19:37 in December in my last race of the year.

evanflein

Enke, I want to run on that trail! Beautiful!

Loving all the photos on this thread. What a great idea!