Masters Running

Solstice Thursdaily, 12.21.23 (Read 35 times)

Here's a real trip down memory lane for the old CoolRunners here that showed up on Facebook today: Millbot's "Dread Masters Race Photos". A few of you in here although some of us didn't make the cut. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tet, I am wondering if you can cut the pills in half to wean off?

Today a Borg senior employee thought my name was my last name, which is also common man's name. And he has met me before, but obviously didn't remember or connect the dots. Anyway, after I corrected him, he was pretty embarrassed. I have to update some documents to do it the way he/the Borg wants it done. Trivial stuff and there is no one "right" way, so it's a bit annoying.

3 mile run. I did the Garmin suggested workout today, which included a middle section at tempo. I hit the suggested pace exactly plus 1 second per mile, and this was without looking at the watch to see how I was doing. Garmin obviously has got me figured out now and what I should be able to do. Since school is out, I did the workout at the middle school dirt track. This weekend I will go back to easy jogging.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Why am I proud that I made the Dread Masters Race Photos?!  lol.   Lord knows I have many dreadful photos. 

Still haven't made it over to the park to give out those warm socks. But I did put together a basket of items to gift to someone that had a need to provide a Cmas gift to someone. a small basket of 6 prs of women's holiday socks, a bath bomb, a squishy elf dude and a Christmas tin container.  I posted it on our local gifting fb group and chose someone based on need. and I bought breakfast for a elderly couple that were having breakfast at DH's favorite breakfast spot when I popped in there to get him a GC for DH.  They had just ordered their breakfast as I was waiting to be helped to get a GC, so I asked the waitress to let me pay for their bill. They didn't order much though and their bill was only about $17, so when I went over to their table to thank him for his service (he was wearing a Marine hat and he only had one leg and I wish I knew if he lost it in combat or not, but wasn't about to inquire), and jokingly said they should have ordered a bigger breakfast because I just paid for their breakfast, including tip, so they were all taken care of for their bill. Such a sweet couple - probably in their 90's.

okay, finishing up some worky type things. I can't just spend my whole day spreading Christmas cheer I guess.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly/enke - interesting options I hadn't thought about but I can hardly wait until tonight to maybe try the Tylenol/Ibupropen double and, if needed, the PKs again like the last three nights but maybe only one, or one half.

Right now, after one of the exercise routines, it's fine enough that I don't think I'll need anything anymore but that's how it's felt for the last three days too until it becomes time to lie down without anything to think about except how much it still hurts.

I knew recovery would be up to three months or more so I'm ready for it but, in the absence of anything about the duration of the pain part in all the materials i received, etc., still experiencing it two weeks later is kind of a surprise but one I'll happily accept as a necessary part of getting rid of the more sharp, tangy stabbing pain of the arthritis that definitely is all gone.

Tammy - very nice you have some down there who appreciate you. Too many of the down-and-outers up here are often too out of it to accept housing and other help.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, yep, that sharp "tangy" pain of the arthritis is gone and yay for that. But yes, the times lying in bed is when other things start to speak up. I'm doing ok on just Tylenol and a gabapentin at night time so far, and will wean off that soon. Still have a lot of the original prescriptions (only took 3 Tramadol, for instance) so will hang onto them, but since I don't like taking them anyway I might do the drug take-back bin at the Safeway pharmacy to get rid of them.

Had my first PT today and she was really happy to see me again and see how well I'm doing. I said I use the cane just for longer walks, like from the door to their office, but don't rely on it a lot and don't use it at home. Did stairs a couple times today too, with no pain whatsoever (vs. before surgery, I almost had to use "all fours" to go up). I'm liking this so far. Next PT is tomorrow and I'll ask her when I can start riding my bike again, easy at first I'm sure, but I'm itchin' to get back on it!

Who could I count on? I do have a couple of friends from my early days at the university. One is right up the hill from us, the other is on the far other side of the valley. But I'd call them if I really needed to. Other than that, I have my sister who I'd like to think would come help whenever, but she's kinda fussy about going out at night so maybe not.

Enke, I'm listed as "Erika Van" or "Erika Flein" in so many places it's aggravating. Even though I did the online hospital registration, their system still split my name so "Van" was like my middle name. Had to fix it when I actually got there. Aggravating. I can see how yours would also be a problem, but what did they do with your first name?

Oh, I did read (and download!) my surgeon's dictated report of my surgery. Yikes. I'm so very very glad I was knocked out for that. Yowza. No wonder I have residual soreness in the quad area.

Got in 4.1 chilly (not by Sub7 standards) cloudy miles.  

Good evening all, got a late 5 miler in this afternoon in wait for it... 40 F weather. Yes, spring is back for a few days. It made for an extremely messy run but it sure was fun being out there today! Oh yea, forgot to mention it was sunny all the time I was out there... Have a greight evening all!

One issue with the list that Tramps linked to is that it treats all teams in all sports in once city as one big blob. The NY Giants won the super bowl somewhat recently. But I never cared. I was a Jets fan.  Can you say 1969! I said was, because they are so pathetic that I cannot follow them any longer. College? I should be a California Golden Bears fan. I may as well hope the local high school team will go to the Rose Bowl. Can you say 1959? 

coastwalker and evanflein given you both went into surgery in good physical shape, as in not long time couch potatoes, I would imagine you will both recover relatively quickly. I do not think most people realize how important you conditioning going into any medical treatment alters your odds of it going well and you recovering fast. I also think doctors have trouble gauging that, given the large number of couch potatoes they work with.

Holly S. is it a bottle of baijiu? I had some students do several reports on that industry. If that is what the bottle is I have some interesting information about what the age of the stills listed on the bottle actually mean. Short a answer, so little that in the west it would be considered false advertising.

I ran 4 today. My longest run since the Rocket City Marathon.

Speaking of marathons has anyone here done the Wilmington NC marathon? I think that is going to be the next one on my list.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

4 seemed to be a popular distance today - ran 4 chilly miles with the SS crew this morning!!
                  Did some glute/lower body and core classes 2 days in a row - working on consistency here!!

I just want it to be Christmas Eve so I can wrap my arms around the grands!! Haven't seen Maria and Nina since before Thanksgiving and my heart is aching to see them!! We should have a few hours with them at our house before heading out to celebrate with the rest of our gang. I am praying everyone stays healthy between now and then and nothing foils our plans.

Who would I call/count on -- I am very blessed to have 4 families on my street that I know I could call if we had an emergency even in the middle of the night. We have all lived on this street for 30 years or more and have helped each other through both good and bad times.

My sister is also only 30 minutes away and we would definitely be there for each other any time of the night for an emergency - even tho she is a little perturbed with me right now 

Goodnight my busy Masters friends!! Happy to hear all our post-op patients are on a good recovery path!! 

denise

Roch, so glad I made the Dread Masters Race Photos. Brought back several names/people I had forgotten. And good for a laugh.

In my recent 5K, MBE took a bunch of pictures as I was running downhill towards the finish. He sent me the best photo of the bunch he took, where at least one foot is not touching the ground (by a centimeter or 2). You can hardly call that running. But it's better than not running.

Yeah, I was addressed as "Hi Craig" in several emails this week. Makes no sense, as surely no one on the planet has the name Craig Karen. Erika, I can see how easy it would be to botch your name.

Deez, that kind of community is priceless. Not sure who I would call in the middle of the night. MBE, or I guess, my next door neighbour. Or my sister, but she's across the ocean.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Quickadder

4 seemed to be a popular distance today

Oddly I ran 4 tonight before reading this. My streak of running at least 2 miles a day on the TM has now passed 5 months.

The 2 youngest grandsons (and their parents) came in from Houston today, celebrated the youngest's 5th birthday tonight and are staying until Sunday. My DW makes sure to get lots of hugs from them.

Speaking of marathons has anyone here done the Wilmington NC marathon? I think that is going to be the next one on my list.

I've not run any races outside Louisiana. It looks as though my DD is going to sign me up for the Zydeco Marathon in Lafayette, Louisiana which is a couple of weeks after the Wilmington one. If I do run it, that will be my first race in over 4 years.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

SteveP

Jay - Your determination is admirable.

Dave59 - caretakers need help.

Tammy - What a good heart.

Leslie - Interesting podcast. I had been thinking about that earlier in the week.  I have 1 + DW and our kids. Maybe I should be concerned about who could call on me.

Tetsujin209 - It will get better.

Rochrunner - I signed up for a charity group that has monthly meetings, so I'll have at least some structure when I decide to retire. Thank you for the pictures.

How does our group's cover photo look?  I cannot see it when I get booted to RA's home page.

BTY - Your workouts are incredible.

Erika - I knew you would kick butt.

Good to see Quickadder.

I got 1.5 miles in, then the PT.  Thursday was my Friday.

We handed out 313 vials of reindeer food so far.  One drive was over the top happy.  He said he didn't know when he'd have time to get some for his kids.  And here we were simply giving it away.  I told the guy not to accept any substitutes.  We have the real deal.  After I showed him a picture with the glowy stuff, he said he had to stop and get a black light.

I'll fill up enough vials to get through the last of this year's batch of glowy stuff.  I'll probably drop it at the local mom and pop grocery.

I got another tip.  That's a nice gesture.  But what the heck?

SteveP

lamerunner2

Happy Solstice!  I ran 4 miles also... and very busy day at work