Masters Running

nonoruns’s Ocean Drive 10 Mile Agony Trail (Read 255 times)

Renee the dog

So, how’d I do? I placed 124th out of 457. 13th out of 65 in my age group of F40-49. Overall pace average was 8:38…it is indeed a PR on the same course of 4:52, if my math is correct (gee, I guess my math skills might go for awhile post-race too!) Now, if you are bored and want to read my ramblings which got me to that: The night before the race, weather.com, accuweather.com and even Channel 40 out of Atlantic City were al predicting a weather calamity of epic proportions in the morning – rain, hail, lightning… This eased my mind as we went to bed, ‘cause they are always wrong about weather in Cape May County. As I slipped away to dreamland, I realized I had no email from the National Weather Service, which somehow can predict storms to the minute when they are to start. So I slept soundly, knowing race day would be OK. AND IT WAS!!! Foggy when we got up, some sprinkles here and there, but no big deal. Race starts at 9 a.m. Wind was from the SE! Yep, southeast. Course runs basically north, so this was good! It was around 46 F, but the predicted wind speed during the race was 15-20 mph…oh what to wear. I decided to be a bit superstitious and wear the same Nike running skirt (black) that I wore in Disney 3 weeks ago. Top was proving problematic. I took two extra shirts in my bag, so I could make a last-minute decision on that. Ended up going with a long sleeve half zip that I wore over to the start. My husband lent me his summer running cap and I put a headband over that to keep from losing it in the wind while going over the two bridges. I chose to wear my Nike Frees based upon their good “grabbiness” on rainy roads. We hung out for a bit at the Congress Hall Hotel, which is one of the official hotels and right at the start. They had all their lounges open for runners to lounge in. Very relaxing atmosphere while we waited to go outside to line up. Met some wonderful folks while waiting for the start, and as usual, we were off on time. It’s such a low-key event, that almost everyone was chatting and surprised by the gun. I had no race plan, other than to try for a 1:25:00 if things were going right (bet with my husband). But the overall goal was to beat last year’s time of 1:31:03. I just went out and actually felt good for miles 1 & 2. The roads were quite wet, but not bothersome. I was going at a faster than normal pace, but since I usually have suicidal thoughts the first two miles of every run, I was having a good time. Somewhere between the two bridges, which I’ve practiced on during training, my body started having problems. I had 3 miles under my belt at this point, so I should have been hitting my groove. Breathing was good. I wasn’t in flow, but my stride was right, and I didn’t feel like I was straining at all. However, I started having these quick, severe weird pains that would strike and then go away two strides later. About 4 times, I “lost my knees” where I would get the pain, then it would go but I’d have no muscle strength afterwards for a couple strides, and it felt like my knees were gone! Then, as we progressed across the causeway, I actually thought I was going to lose my breakfast from the clam smell (there’s always clam smell here). Everyone else around me was having a grand old time chatting, and me, on my home course, is getting ready to hurl. WTH??!! Surprised At this point I decided I am quitting running. Not this race, just running overall. Why do I do this? Is there a point? I’m not having fun….those kind of thoughts. So after feeling sorry for myself for about a mile, I ran through the Wildwood Track Team’s water stop, which I always love, ‘cause it’s a really well-run stop, and those kids know the right things to say to you as you go through, if you know what I mean! At that point, my mood improved. I was not feeling right, but now was in my home town, and more than halfway, so I started thinking about how I was going to salvage myself so that I can run a marathon in the fall. I decided after a lot of thinking that I’m benching myself this week, only running if I really feel like it. And, then focus on my next race in May and make sure I race it just for fun. Suddenly, I was about 3 blocks from my house and therefore approaching the 8 mi mark. By this point, I had about 2/3 of my water gone from my water bottle, the headband was off, and my itty bitty gloves were hooked under the headband that was wound around the water bottle. I realized I was done drinking water, so as I approached my girlfriend/babysitter and the kids, I threw the “extras” to her. Kids had their cheer signs out from the Disney Princess Half, and as soon as I was by them, I burst into tears. I mean BURST into tears. I didn’t cry, but my tears literally burst out of the ducts and missed my face! That gave me something to think about for another ½ mile…what was that all about? Confused We were running on an open road (due to the construction issues with the real course) with very little police support, but it wasn’t needed as the island is on a grid, and the car drivers quickly got a clue and left us alone. Those that did need to turn in were very courteous. There was decent fan support too as we went through town, and then up the boardwalk ramp and the turn to the finish. I had been shadowing this woman for the last couple miles, and she had no kick once on the boardwalk, so I slowly went by her, then at about ½ mi to go, I just decided to forget about my woes and turn on the afterburners. Two women who were behind me apparently weren’t expecting this as one said, “Shit” as I took off. Yes Went down the chute…and finished officially in 1:26:11, which is only 1 sec. different than what I had, so we’re all in agreement (what I saw on the official clock, what they reported and what my Garmin said). NOW, it was horrible wet eastern wind off the ocean, and space blanket or not, I was frozen almost immediately. Got my bag from the bag van, and then went to find my husband. He was already through the finish and coming down the ramp to the food. We quickly walked the 5 blocks to our car, and I was realllllly cold. We cranked the heat and went home. Almost immediately upon returning home, I could barely move. I slept on and off for the rest of the day under 4 blankets after getting a shower. I had a killer headache. My body hurt soooo bad. It was a feeling unlike ever before. It felt as if my bone marrow was bruised in my legs and hips. I did drag out my foam roller and braved rolling, but all was fine. My muscles and fascia were OK. It was way deeper pain. I ate several times, and drank well, but I was well-hydrated throughout, if the color test is accurate. Overnight, I have never sweat so much in my life! It was ridiculous! Just couldn’t stop, no matter a lot of blankets or just a sheet. Weird stuff. I feel mostly normal today, though some lingering remembrances of that deep pain in the femurs and hips. So, I took Renee for a 1 mile walk today. I need to really think about this whole running thing. Not ‘cause I want to quit, but because I think I need to think about my switch from running for pleasure to running to compete against myself. I think I need to find a middle path that will embrace both goals. And, I don’t ever want to experience what I felt in the last 24 hours again! Cry So far, all I can get out of this is that I'm never eating chicken & rice again the night before a race -- I'm back to steak, sweet potato and salad. . Big grin And, I'm thinking it was pretty goofy to try to have a major PR after an all out effort 3 weeks before at the half marathon. 8 Ball

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

nono.....DON'T QUIT !!! You posted excellent results.......I took a look-see at your log and I don't think you realize just how competitive you could be......if you wanted to. I can assure you this......several of the those in your age group that finished behind you put more miles and time in than you......and you smoked 'em! Great race....and what a way to remain calm given the weather forecast......I would have tossed and turned all night. You'll be feeling better and fully recovered soon......Great Race !
        Well done! 8:38 pace for 10 miles, very nice, I'm envious! That was entertaining reading to say the least. But I am really sorry you felt so crappy for 24 hours afterwards. Sad Maybe it co-incided with a little flu bug (hey its going round!) I recognized some familiar feelings in your report. At mile 3 feeling like puking and wanting to quit running forever, I (and I am sure many others) have had that same feeling. Mine was in a 12K race where I clearly went out too fast. Also, it is not uncommon for me to feel queasy for several hours in the afternoon after a race in which I really pushed it. And the night sweats, not so sure about those but I do get quite a greasy face the day after a hard race or very long run. Probably all those stress steroids surfacing. Now about those pains in your legs....in your long bones??? or your knees? Ok, that sounds weird and I hope you are not getting close to a stress fracture in your femur.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Nono, that was an excellent report. And you ran a good race. I can't tell you how many races I've run where I've been making promises to the devil (or anyone else who might listen) to just get me through the damn thing. Like SLO said, you've got the potential to be seriously competitive if you want to. But that's the key, you've got to want to do it. Running this 10 mile race just after the HM was a real test of your mettle, and I think you did great. Can't explain the rotten feeling afterward, except like Enke said maybe you pushed yourself just hard enough to get a "good" stress reaction. Please don't quit, but do get some recovery.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nono – that black Nike running skirt would have been my choice, too - that’s my staple for 41-56°, above which I wear my lighter-weight Marathon Girl skirt. Excellent race and report! For me, I hate racing almost every race I run, and only decide I like it afterward. As for your aftereffects, I don’t think I’ve felt as bad as that after any race I’ve run, not even the marathons. I’m wondering if you were fighting off a bug and didn’t realize it, because that seems like an extreme reaction, even considering you pushed hard. Now get some rest... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

xor

Sounds like pretty typical Ocean Drive Marathon weather! Good job. And you wrote 'shit'. hee.

King of PhotoShop

Well done. And you have great potential to be even faster. Lots of people feel uncomfortable during a race. You really do get used to it. I think you might have had some kind of a bug to have a post-race reaction like that. Shows how tough you are to run a good race like that when you may not have been 100%. Congrats on a fine race. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Some pics: Even in this long shot, can I wear the cap any lower on my head? LOL My husband in the Brooklyn shirt. Cheer section getting ready. Big grin

#artbydmcbride

Great report! Nice racing, just let those batteries recharge for a while. Congrats on the PR! Smile

Runners run

Nono - I'm in awe! Of your running, your awesome race, your courage, and your gorgeous kids! Thanks for the RR and for posting the pics! Amazing race and wonderful report. Now get some well-deserved rest! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Thanks for a great report. I am sure you were fighting a bug. I can feel pretty crappy after a hard run too. Nothing a few easy days won't cure. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You'll be back for another day. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

arf

MM #405

Nono, I love reading your posts and RR's Congras on a great race, sorry you felt like crap afterwards. The night sweat worries me and is just weird...I think it's totally unrelated to your race, maybe your body fighting something? Congrats again.. arf Smile
                            Great race, nono. As others have stated, your midrace feelings seem to be quite normal. After recovery, you'll likely be ready to go again. Congrats on a big PR. TomS
                              Wonderful report Nono. I always look forward to your daily posts, so this was like a week's worth and well worth the read. I am sorry you felt as you did during the race as well as afterwards. You are a strong and gifted runner and just barely scratching the surface of what might be. That said, finding a middle path is important so you can love this. Don't stop! Your kids are fabulous and I love that sign---haul it on home indeed. ha! Thanks for taking the time to share this and hang in there. (I too think you must have had some virus or something---get that checked out?)

Renee the dog

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was holding off replying hoping to have some more race pics to post. I don't. Boo! LOL SRL, it's always a crapshoot weatherwise at the end of March here! Why a lot of us love this race so much is basically for two reasons. It's the first event of the season here -- kind of like the first crocus sprouting through a spring snow. Smile The other is it gives us a reason to train all winter long in weather that is easily 5x worse. Big grin Enke, yeah, in my bones. I was just looking up "bone marrow disorders" and discarding various conditions left and right. Interestingly, I ran across this: Patients with leukemia may have frequent infections, fatigue, bleeding, bruising, anemia, night sweats, and bone and joint pain. Fatigue? Bruising? Heh. I have toddlers. Who knows? But, my Dad had mild leukemia -- for years. I have no idea if there's a hereditary component or not, but I'm supposed to get my annual physical soon, so I'll ask my doc about it. It's likely nothing as within 28 hrs. of the end of the race, I felt completely normal. And I've never felt it before. SLO, don't worry, I won't quit. It's just not really in my make up. But, I'm enjoying my week of benching. Just walking with Renee is giving me time to think. I guess I'm thinking about my running so much while running that I don't think about everything else in my life anymore. I'm signed up for an 18 miler and 2 marathons folks. I'm going long -- to find out if I like it! Thanks to each of you for helping me so much along this journey!