Masters Running

Friday, June 27th Daily (Read 511 times)

TammyinGP

Perch - I have a two mile hilly loop in my neighborhood that I sometimes run. I tend to walk in the fairly steep decline because of my past ITBS issues and knowing that downhill running can really aggravate it, but a few days ago, I decided to run down it and I did what you describe - a very short stride where you don't really feel the braking at all, but just the pushoff. I'm naturally more of a heel striker when I run anyways, so this was a different feeling for me - but I liked that quick turnover feeling. and what you describe as the ART therapy sounds like what my doc was doing on the tendon that runs along my shin bone. I was having some discomfort there recently after running, with some minor swelling along the bottom, so he was having me flex and point my foot while he deeply torture massaged that tendon. While my foot was flexed, he rubbed in one direction and while flexed he rubbed it the opposite direction. Very painful.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, its cool that you're running with your boss today. Its nice to have something in common. At my last job one of the VPs was a runner and another was a cyclist, and I'd often see them out and about at lunchtime, although we never went together. At my current company one guy is a cyclist, but the rest of them think I'm a little nuts. I've only done a couple of lunchtime runs from the new office so far, as its been hot, but come fall/winter it'll be all the time. Tammy, that stripping procedure sounds awful - bruising and tears? You pay money for that? Shocked Denise, glad to hear from you. Good luck building your running back up. Take it easy!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary: Little Bernie is absolutely beautiful. I forget...how many were in the litter? I got an idea...set him up with a d-mail account so he can keep up with Brinkley.
        There were 7 of them Dicky - 4 boys and 3 girls. Bernie is doing well - as of last night anyway! Wonder if they got any sleep last night!! Confused Holly - I feel so bad for you, but you've got lots of good advise flowing here. Hang in there! Thanks Vista! Rest day for me. Hope to be out for 5 in the morning. TGIF! . . . or as BTB would quote TTFN!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

soundie is super duper busy right now - she's not posting at either place regularly because life is full at the moment. Erika - I'll try to describe this stripping technique and I think it's pretty similar to what ART does. When I was having ITBS pain, my doc would have me lay on my side so that the injured thigh was facing up. He would then dig into my IT deeply with his hands, fingers, knuckles. He's a VERY fit/athletic guy (read: major stud!) and the strength in his hands is incredible. Okay - so he's basically using this deep myofascial release type torture massage to break down my IT Band. The first time he did this, he left bruising along my thigh, and then the follow up treatments weren't much better because I still had some bruising feeling in there. But after he broke the IT Band down, as the area would self-heal and rebuild itself, I had to stretch LOTS - so that it wasn't tightening up again as it healed. He also would basically dig his hands into the outer side of my thigh and pull that tendon away from the bone.
          Geez, did he stick needles under your finger nails too Shocked

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks so much everyone - I really appreciate all the kind words and advice. DH just doesn’t understand the implications of something like this. My visit to the sports med doc was not as definitive as I had hoped it would be. He said my symptoms didn’t seem to match a hamstring problem, more like a deeper pelvic problem. He suggested that it might be a stress fracture of the pelvis. The x-ray, though, looked normal, but that doesn’t rule it out. (Strangely I apparently have a bone chip by the other side of my pelvis, but I don’t have any pain there.) His recommendation: try a few PT sessions, take anti-inflammatories, and don’t do anything that hurts. He said it might be as much as a month off running. Well…… That’s not what I was hoping to hear. I’ve decided that I don’t like him. Big grin However, since he really wasn’t sure of anything, I prefer to think positively, and hope for the best.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the update Holly. BTW, I checked out that website on the skirts...very nice product line! But I'm with JLynne on the sausages Tongue Craneium, what did you get at the Corn Hill Creamery? I just ate a lot of chicken and pasta. Serenity now fer shur, dg XT day for me.
                Craneium, what did you get at the Corn Hill Creamery?
                Small S'more in a waffle cone YUM!
                Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Happy Friday ! I haven't posted in a while , work and kids out of school keep me busy and make sure my stress level never gets down to being tolerable....and just may be Seafair marathon this Sunday is on my mind: I haven't been running as much as I wanted to..., the weather man is promising sunny and 88 ,here in the PNW.. that's great news for all weekend activities but running for 4+ hours..!!..and throw in all those hills throughout the course....I have adjusted my expectation to : just finish. I'm planning on 3 slow miles later today, after 2 days of 8 miles each with a few hills, just for a preview.. Will keep you posted.... Francesca
                  Dave59

Man, the landscapers cut my cable this morning. No phone, no TV, no internet all day. Shocked I finally came over to the coffee shop to check my email and the forums.

evanflein

Tammy... ouch. No thanks. Holly, hmmmm.... stress fractures don't show up when "fresh," but only when they start healing and the xray can pick up the new calcium deposits (or bone formation, whatever). I understand a "bone scan" is what might pick it up early on. I bet that's not it though. And I wouldn't like him either. He obviously just doesn't get it. Wink Went out for an easy run today with my boss. The idea was he'd help slow me down and keep my pace easy... well, it sorta worked. First mile was 8:55. Second was 9:00 (felt very strange), third was 8:52... I said "hey, Mikey, wanna step it up a bit?" His job here was to say no, let's keep it here. But he says "Ok, I guess..." Fourth mile was 7:40 and it felt so good, but I was concerned with his breathing so I let him pick the pace for the last mile, which includes about quarter mile back up the hill to the office. That last mile was 9:32. Overall pace was 8:48 with a couple little walk breaks after that 4th mile. heh. It didn't kill him, so it must've been good for him! We agreed we'd try to do this about once a week. Gives him a good faster pace run and a good easy, almost recovery pace run for me. And we got back before the rain showers started...
                        that was pretty funny my posting right after deb asked about me -- we must have been typing at the same time!! thaniks everyone for thinking of me...... so happy to have my Garmin back -- well i guess it's a different one than i sent them since the serial number on the back is different, but thats part of the deal -- they completely overhaul it and send it back to you just don't guarantee it's the same one you sent out..........still, was great to watch my pace and see my distance again did 7 miles in the hot muggies - kept it slow and steady 5 min walk, 20 min run x 2 5 min walk, 10 min run 5 min walk, 5 min run 5 min walk.......took 1 hr 20 min and i feel good plan to do some PT exercises and stretching and hope i still feel good tomorrow!! erika - that was some fast running with the boss!! holly - hope the PT and the anti-inflammatories help tammy -- stripping?? sounds painful!!

denise

45 minutes fairly ez tonight in the sweltering humidity. Played an hour of tennis this morning. Did an hour of bike after dinner then this run...Girls are with their mom as we have now gone to Friday to Friday which I had wanted a long time ago...but I lost a weekend. Hard... Racing Tuesday on Canada Day...Hoping to go FAST............will also have to deal with my ex girlfriend who will be running too as I saw her name on the confirmation list. Have not seen her since we broke up...should be fun...oh well...will keep it civil as it was not a good break up...Too bad L cannot be there to support me, nor my friends th Bohns..who will be racing something else. Suck it up Tall and show it in your running. Good night Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hi Vista, thanks for thinking of me. Just got back from 5 days camping on the Pacific coast. Beautiful weather. I ate like a pig, drank like a fish and slept like a cat and only put on 1 pound. I ran twice but only about 6.5 miles each time, and both runs felt sluggish (wonder why? Wink ) I am back just in time for the Seafair HM on Sunday, which I can't believe is going to be so HOT. 65 at the start, 75 after two hours, full sun whole time and who knows how hot when the Full Marathon runners finish. Francesca, Arf, you have my sympathy!! It will not be a PR day, so my lack of preparation this past week is moot. Carry on.....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I haven't posted a run (heck, I haven't even ran) for over a week! Shocked Home improvements and such have taken most spare minutes. I did manage to get in a 25 year wedding anniversary this past Wed...so I got that going for me, which is nice. Managed to get out of the house early this morning for an easy 3 miler. Really felt good getting back out there. Then later this morning, the ever so lovely mrs. evryday and I went to the big town to celebrate our special occasion. Had a wonderful dinner and spent some quality together time....just the two of us. The home improvements are coming along nicely but slowly. Hopefully I'll be posting on the daily more often.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              evanflein

Happy Anniversary, Evryday... coming from someone who just hit the 19 year milestone, 25 years sounds amazing. I assume you had to survive teenagers? And everyone survived? DS1 is really pushing my buttons tonight... Angry . . . . . Cry