Masters Running

Sunday October 12th Runs, races, and recoveries (Read 428 times)

6 miles today. 68F and windier 'n all git out. Healing vibes and prayers to all.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

...it still turned out to be a great day
      I can't imagine a day with Mariposai and Tet NOT being a great day. Smile Dg - 12.04 miles? Yowza! That's a new PR for you, isn't it? And btw, you were faster than ME. My ave pace was only 9:59. Great job! Perch - that sounds like a wise choice. You've had an awesome year, and been pushing your body pretty darn hard. A break would do you no harm, for sure.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I need to go back to read up on the last half of saturday's thread obviously. We had a pretty crummy day of travel yesterday that just got worse as the day wore on. Every plane boarded on time, but then for one reason or another was delayed for take off. In Fairbanks at 6 a.m. it was an indicator light in the cockpit. Took about half hour to fix. Ok, no biggie. Then in Anchorage on Northwest, it was something wrong with the air conditioner. Took off finally about an hour or so late. Then in Minneapolis, we all board, looks like an early departure, we taxi out to the runway... then have to turn around because the hydraulic sensor was reading low levels on the right side of the plane (?). So, back to the terminal, BUT because of thunderstorms they'd pulled all the crew inside, so nobody was there to pull the plane back to the gate. So we sit for about 45 minutes, lightening flashing all around us, then finally we get pulled up and the crew gets to work. Can't find the hydraulic leak, so we all get off and go to another gate where another plane is waiting for us. Finally get on that plane, back away from the terminal and sit there. And sit there. And sit there.... Guess what, they can't get the left engine to fire up. Good grief. So they get a technician out there, determine it's an ignition switch or something, and they start pulling our bags off the plane before they even tell us we're getting a new (to us) plane. Then the news comes, and everyone just laughs. It's good nobody got mad. And not a full flight so we got pretty chummy with each other as things went on. So, disembark and reload eventually onto a third plane. When this one took off everyone cheered! So we were over 3 hours late getting in to St. Louis, but I wanted to run this morning anyway, even with my foot so sore and swollen from the day's travels. Got up late (stoopid clock had the AM/PM settings backwards), foot still sore but figured I'd work it off as so frequently happens. It felt hot (78F and 67% humidity at start), but started out on the Forest Park trail. Plan was to do at least 2 and preferably 3 loops of 5.6 miles each. It so wasn't going to happen! My foot got worse and worse and I got so hot. First loop took me 52 minutes (some walk breaks and stops to check the map), and I could barely walk when I got back to the bench where I'd stashed my water and stuff. Took 2 more S-Caps, ate my Luna moons, drank my water, and said forget it. Texted my boss who was still out there that I was so done. So... 5.6 hot sweaty painful miles today, giving me only 33.4 for the week. Bah. ETA: Good call Steve. I like the "maybe" on your marathon plans. Never say never, right? deb that is a good distance for you, grrl. Holly, that was a really good strong run. Smart about stopping when you did, but I think you're ready for just about anything now.
          PBJ Special this morning...8 miles in 59:28...felt really easy...obviously I need some more speedwork in my training I was just starting to like Enke too...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Erika.... good luck with the foot! Save something for NYC. I like te way you did alot of water running the week before Equinox. Maybe some water running is due now?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Sorry about your travel day and your run, Erika - not good for your birthday -- hope the day gets better. Steve - smart thinking We had our travel day yesterday and were remarking that we were really lucky on our trip -- with 6 legs on 4 different carriers, we didn't have any late takeoffs or arrivals. The battery was dead in the car when we got to the lot (I'd left one of the inside lights on for a week and a half), but they jumped it quickly. I finished off the week with 23.5 total miles, which is good as I don't seem to be injured for a change after the marathon. I'll crank it up next week I hope and be back to "normal" the following. 8.1 miles, 1:08, 8:20/mi, AHR 148

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mary & Peter, happy tapering, (glad the finger is better, too.) You have such a good outlook, Perch!...as do you, Ericka, sounds totally frustrating at the airports..... Happy Birthday--much good cheer to you Smile Twocat--I think that is a very treatable cancer with high survival rates. Perhaps some of the folks who've been involved with Team in Training would know more, as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is often a group that works with TnT. http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=7030 Keep us posted on how treatment goes. I hope your TP is back running again soon. DickyG--that story was one "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me !" yesterday. What's the weather there east? Hope the marathons are all good today and we have happy RRs to read. I did 4.25 slow miles with DH and then 8.75 not too much faster today for 13 total. 44 here but feels colder--overcast after a sunny start. The last bit was: 9:26/9:04/8:58/8:57/8:24/8:45/8:50/8:37 & 6:28 149 ave. HR and 171 max. I finished my Joyce Carol Oates book and the Sox lost (in extra innings, a good game but painful) so was little blue Sad but looking forward to starting something new now, and tomorrow is another day...at Fenway, too Big grin. grins, A ps: Jlynne, so how were the b.sprouts?
                Masters 2000 miles
                  PBJ Special this morning...8 miles in 59:28...felt really easy
                  lemmingrunner, nice run. You are in very good shape if that felt easy. After a big spaghetti lunch at church, Dark Colt and I played catch with his new football. He had wanted a smaller-than-regulation ball, because he said his hands weren't big enough for a regulation ball. If I was a mom, I might have gotten what he wanted. But I am a dad, so I got him a regulation-size football, and told him to get used to it. He did just fine: threw mostly spirals, and a pretty good deep ball. I have a bad shoulder so I can't throw far, but I throw all perfect spirals and of course with my long arms I catch everything. Even better, we were able to lure out Bucking Bronco to play catch, too. He is uncoordinated and loathes sports but he did all right playing catch. It was great for him to put aside his computer games for a few minutes and get some physical activity outside on this beautiful warm sunny fall day in New England. Then Dark Colt and I ran 5 slow miles cross-country. Yesterday I had trouble even walking on my left knee, which was painful and wobbly, so I feared I might not be able to run today, especially on an uneven cross-country course. However, despite some pain, the knee had no stability issues, and I was able to finish the planned distance by running gingerly. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                    I know I'm gonna sound like a nag...Careful on the knee DH...If you keep it up your knee will be on ice and you'll be back to just playing chess
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      Careful on the knee DH...If you keep it up your knee will be on ice and you'll be back to just playing chess
                      lemmingrunner, I am heeding your advice. My plan going forward is to run 20 miles per week, no more. The problem of course is that 20 mpw is not tiring, so I am always tempted to do more; but I need to recognize that I simply can't. So I am really going to try hard to stick to 20 mpw in the future. The only exceptions might be if I miss a run one week, in which case I might try to make up those miles later. I really think I can run sub-20 5Ks on 20 mpw. Maybe even sub-19 eventually, if the 20 mpw are quality. I just need to get in a training groove, keep my weight down, avoid injuries, and get my knees feeling better. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

missed goin' over to Victoria as planned and missed going over to Mariposai-land as wanted so did an nine mile jura-run warm-up over to Univ/Wash 10K Homecoming Dawg Dash at Husky Stadium site of my first barefoot marathon in 1990. About a minute slower than last week's 10K so tammy's PR is still safe (do you have any UW event shirts?) but broke the 500 mile barrier for fourth time (501.2 miles), all since becoming a CR boomer.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein this sound like Northwest from start to finish! Dead Its nickname is not Northworst for nothing! I am leaving for Chicago on business on Tuesday all I can say is that I sure hope my trip bears absolutely no resemblance to yours! Be careful about your foot. I am off today and again tomorrow to make sure I can line up at the start in NY and I expect to see you there too! WillRunForBeer with your string of luck today my advice is to run out and get a lotto ticket before it stops! In my experience airlines 6 legs with 4 airlines would pretty much guarantee that it would take several days of missed connections before I arrived home.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

I will be back later with I hope a more light hearted post. But, I have a serious question that I am hoping some here have (third hand) experience with. My TP got her test results back and she has Hodgkin's lymphoma. Looking at WebMD it appears it is very curable. I must admit however, that I am not happy with the level of detail on WebMD regarding cure rates, treatments, or what the treatments do to you. Any information or web page links with information would be greatly appreciated. DW said this morning when we commented about what a gorgeous day it is for a race here and that it is too bad I will miss it, that something like what my TP is going through helps put such things into perspective. Sorry for the negative post on an early Sunday. But, I just heard from her last night and I am a bit anxious for her at the moment.
                            TwoCat, IMHO, your post is far from negative.You are a rock solid supporter of many people in this forum. You too have life come at you and your reations to life are human. We all need a bit of advise from time to time. (Spareribs did a kewl job with my resume just about a year ago). Most of us have expressed concern about others hereas well. WebMD is a fair site. The draw back is, if given too much info, some of us will try and come up with out own diagnoses and treat ourselves. Dead This may be a bit dated: Hodgkin's disease is a cancerous disorder with painless, steady enlargement of lymph glands, usually first in the neck; enlarged spleen; and the presence of Reed-Sternberg cells, which are large, unusual white cells. Symptoms include loss of appetite, weight loss, generalized itching, low-grade fever, night sweats, a decrease of red blood cells, and increase of white blood cells. The disease is diagnosed in about 7,100 Americans annually, causes approximately 1,700 deaths a year, affects twice as many males as females, and usually develops between 15 and 35 years of age. Radiation of lymph nodes, using a covering mantle to protect other organs, is the usual treatment for early stages of the disease. Combination chemotherapy is the treatment for advanced disease. In more than one-half of the patients treated, the symptoms go away for long periods of time, and 60% to 90% of those with limited spreading of the disease may be cured. It is widely held that Hodgkin's disease may start as a swelling or infection and then develop into a tumor. According to another theory it may be a disorder of the immune system. Clusters of cases have been reported, but there is no definite evidence of an infectious agent, and the cause of the disease remains a mystery. Causes and Incidence The cause of Hodgkin's disease is unknown. Current theory holds that it is a low-grade graft-versus-host reaction with some type of infectious agent as a cause. Each year more than 7,000 new cases are diagnosed in the United States, and 1,600 deaths occur. Hodgkin's disease is the most common cancer in young adults. It occurs most often in two age groups, 15 to 35 and 60 to 80, and it is more common in men. Disease Process The disease begins with an abnormal proliferation of histiocytes (Reed-Sternberg cells) in one lymph node, which replaces the normal cellular structure and causes tissue necrosis and fibrosis. The disease spreads through the lymphatic channels to lymph nodes throughout the body and eventually metastasizes to the liver, spleen, bronchi, and vertebrae. Symptoms Most individuals first notice a swelling in the cervical lymph nodes. It may be accompanied by itching, fever, night sweats, and weight loss. Later signs may include cough, dyspnea, chest and bone pain, ascites, and jaundice. Potential Complications The prognosis for long-term survival is excellent with treatment. About 95% of individuals with stage I or stage II disease are cured with treatment. Untreated or advanced disease causes multiple organ failure and death. Diagnostic Tests The definitive diagnosis is made by lymph node biopsy, which shows the presence of Reed-Sternberg cells. Treatments Surgery Excision of tumors in advanced disease; therapeutic splenectomy Drugs Systemic combination chemotherapy used with radiation General Radiation is the primary therapy, used alone or in combination with chemotherapy, particularly for stage III and stage IV disease --------------------------------------------------------- Excerpted from Mosby's Medical Encyclopedia Copyright (c) 1994-5, 1996, 1997 The Learning Company Inc. All Rights Reserved

SteveP

dg.

Holly, thanks. yep, a pr. last one was 10.1, so almost 2 miles. Nice of you to notice! I was pretty happy. wasn't sure I could pull it off, but this morning 12 sounded like such a nice number. Your run was great, I was impressed by those BQ MP miles. I don't think I could do that... I want to start hitting target paces at some target distance but am not sure where to start. Erika, thanks to you too. {{{{{ }}}}} to your poor foot. and the rest of you. What a day. sounds like it could have been a chevy chase movie. Perch, I think you're smart. How are you going to fix your soleus? Nice PBJ special, LR. glad the Beers are home safe. hello to beerdog. Amy, DH sounds like he is doing well. Big grin I had a really nice surprise this afternoon. I was at one of our local running stores, and 2 people came in that had met there for a run. the guy was wearing a Portland marathon shirt... I debated about whether or not to say anything, but finally did. Mentioned that I know several people from a running website that ran it. Anyway... it was duckgeek!! How cool is that? He is so nice, and yes, still looks like he is 13.
                              munchkn883

Does going up and down 42 steps at the drag race count as a workout?? Smile