Masters Running

Thurs 9/11 (Read 556 times)

King of PhotoShop

Thanks, Ribs - yeah, it's only the first year of Latin, so that sounds OK! You had me spitting out coffee at your Power Point presentation comment! I could definitely see you doing that...
    I wasn't kidding. I have it printed out right here. I teach people how to sell for a living. This is important to me. I want to be prepared when I speak with him. Spareribs
      Random thoughts. I always schedule my annual dental exam on 9/11 and that way I will never forget (the exam). A day that has no adequate words to express the horror of it. We flew out of Seattle that following Saturday and my daughter was conceived a few days later. Got up at 5:20am, out the door by 6am, yeah me!! 52F I tried to chase our cat back home three times, but she kept following me. 3 mile w/u very slow about 11:45 pace 20 minutes at tempo pace, more sluggish than I had hoped, about 9:14 pace (2.22 miles) 3.8 mile c/d, again very slow, 11:11 pace. I should know better than to try a tempo run 2 days after intervals, but I was feeling optimistic. 9 miles total. Lots of runner sightings: 1 fast older woman in the dark, probably training for a marathon 1 young stud with sweatshirt 1 slow older woman, she said hi to me on every lap of the lake 1 extremely tall lurch-like guy with a dog 2 coyotes enjoy your runs everyone.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DickyG

Tramps:
        Another humid day here. You could have put lipstick on me and I would have still been sweating like a pig.
        I'm sure glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read that... Sue:
        I was supposed to do an easy track run, but I was bored after 4 miles. I added striders - alternating 100 meter striders with 100 meter jogs. 7.27 total miles @9:37 average pace and 153 AHR.
        Great run, Sue...and an interesting comment about running at the track. I do it once or twice a week just to get off the hills..but not only do I get bored, I also get exhausted running laps. Twocat: Rosie Ruiz fan club? Now how cool is that... Ribs:
        i made a Power Point slide to go over my reasoning with him.
        Hmmm...is this a follow-up surgical consult or a board meeting? TomS:
        but I usually plan my runs for even miles and, in my obsessive way, the extra .37 miles will bother me when I put it in my log.
        Why don't you save them until a day you poop out and only do 4.63 miles... OK...the weather around here stinks, nobody wants to play golf (including me), Pam is at work, and the car doesn't need an oil change...back to King of the Hill. DickyG
        evanflein

DickyG... you can come and clean my house if you're looking for something to do. Be sure to get the corners... Dogs! Aamos has a greyhound (Frank) and she says he's lousy as a running partner. Speedy for short sprints is all. I almost adopted a retired Iditarod dog, but we still have Cheyenne to deal with and I don't want two dogs. But they'd be ideal running partners... BUT they pull alot! They're bred and run and pull and are not the best at obedience stuff. The dog I almost adopted was one of the sled dogs in the mushing demo at Denali Park. The boys fell in love with her... sweet dog but I really don't want two big dogs. Holly, I have my foot on an icepack almost every evening while reading the paper or whatever. They really do make a difference. I'd soak in a dishpan of ice water, but don't always have ice and I get up and move around too much usually. Nice run, careful on the intervals but sounds like you're doing great. Gordon, very nice. Both pics. You look great in that running pic for having been through a tough race. Is that at the end? Looking good... Be sure to let us know how the interview/job app went/goes. I had a really cool run last night. Not sure how many of you remember Nordic Beserker from Cool Running... He posts as Wilson on KR. He's an amazing masters runner originally from Colorado *(Hi Carolyn)* and has been here almost 4 years now. I'm really honored to run with this guy... he's so nice and slowed his pace for me on the hills. We did the "Out and Back" section of the Equinox course, which is a tough up and down, up and down run on rutty trails and roads. He walked when I needed to, but mostly I ran this faster than ever before and he encouraged me to keep going when I'd walk if on my own. It was great. This is our second run together and I do hope there are more. I tell him when he needs a recovery run and I need tempo, we're an ideal match! Wild Ginger... I've been there! Might be going back in November when several of our joint labor-management health care committee are doing meetings with our health plan claims folks... Yummy!
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

I wasn't kidding. I have it printed out right here. I teach people how to sell for a living. This is important to me. I want to be prepared when I speak with him. Spareribs
            You remind me of my dad (that's a compliment).

Renee the dog

Wild Ginger... I've been there! Might be going back in November when several of our joint labor-management health care committee are doing meetings with our health plan claims folks... Yummy!
              I've been to Wild Ginger several times. Next time I'm there, I'll be tempted to stand up and make an announcement in the restaurant: "Would any RA Master's Runners please raise your hand?" Big grin SR, I would make a ppt presentation too! Good for you.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Just skimming the daily today but did anybody else appreciate the irony of the local brewer starting off with sobering thoughts? 4 sleepy miles for me this morning- exam in Adapted PE class tonight- stress level is creeping up. Spareribs I would like to talk to you about human performance some time. jtuttle@brockport.edu
                  DickyG - you are having such a tough day - sorry no one will go play golf with you. I use the track for the reason you mentioned - to avoid hills. I don't usually get as bored as I was this morning - I think I'm ready for a taper. Enke - nice run and interesting sightings.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

9 tempo miles in an hour on the canal this afternoon. Beautiful Ran in my new Mizuno Precision's as my old shoes needed to be tossed, they were soft and mushy and could have caused me injury. If your shoes compress to much when you squish the bottom, THROW THEM OUT...For those of us that love to run, it's worth making the new investment vs getting hurt. I then visited a local organic market for fresh dill, patatoes, and corn to accompany salmon tonight. Yum. Take care my friends Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mariposai

Just came back here to see if we have SpareRib's power point result posted yet. Roll eyes I am so proud of my crosstraining this morning. Went out for breakfast then walked up to the 25th floor...I stopped counting at 436 steps because I was too tired to care. Tongue Back to debating why health education in the schools is pivotal for the well being of our young ones. Undecided

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Mariposai... that health education can't be taught in the home! Look at the shape of most of the parents, what do you think they're teaching the kids?? Amazing that there's any debate at all. You go girl.
                        Mariposai

Mariposai... that health education can't be taught in the home! Look at the shape of most of the parents, what do you think they're teaching the kids?? Amazing that there's any debate at all. You go girl.
                          That is my point sistahhhhhhh, you should be here with me. I sure need a cheerleader at my side right now...everything is OK until you ask that $$$ are attached to new mandates Dead

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mary congrats on your 1,000 miles but today was my turn Smile 1,004 Tall fantastic race & super on the Masters win! Cool 5.5 easy miles last night then, 4.5 this afternoon with middle 3 at tempo pace.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hey Ribs I have a question for ya, and anyone else who wants to chime in ... I'm all ears! I'm looking to do 10 miles this afternoon around 4 when I get home. I really want to get a nice marathon paced run in so that I have more confidence in my ability to maintain that pace as I get closer to my marthon (Oct. 5th) I'm trying like heck to get that pace down pat and have been getting better as the weeks go by. Do you have any suggestions on what is best - should I shoot for a nice easy warmup then several miles at or close to mp with a faster finish to get the total to near mp? I have always like to finish strong as that helps with my confidence and I think it gets me used to running hard on tired legs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll check the forum before I head out on my run when I get home. I'm headed out on the road shortly.
                                My thoughts on the 9/11 tragedy are influenced by my service in the military. Although I was shocked by the suffering of those who were personally affected, I immediately put the events of that day in a military perspective. Militarily, the attacks were insignificant. The perpetrators were representatives of a primitive, ignorant culture, which, if it did not have access to oil money, would perhaps be of little interest to most of us. One result of that dark day is that George W. Bush, lacking a meaningful target of revenge, went roaring into Iraq, which had nothing to do with 9/11, and started a war which has led to thousands of U.S. deaths, doubled the national debt, and all but destroyed the U.S. economy, the U.S. dollar, and the financial viability of the Social Security system, not to mention U.S. credibility with the rest of the world. Many Americans, out of ignorance, support the war in Iraq because they imagine it has something to do with payback for 9/11. In fact it is an unrelated tar-baby. Bin Laden must be delighted with the powerful and unexpected long-term results of his militarily unimportant attack: we have played into his hands. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.