Masters Running

Thurs 9/11 (Read 556 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Karin, to be more specific. I think my concern is the actual Marathon it's self, not workouts as much. Do you go slower a mile or so then get up to MP, or just start out at MP from the get go. I can't imagine to much of a warm up like a few miles or so before, when facing 26.2. Just Curious George here Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Ah, I get it. In the actual marathon I use the first mile or two (when it's a big race and congested at the start---sometimes 2.5 miles) to get up to marathon pace. I might do a little light jogging before the start, but not even a mile. The first mile ramp-up allows me to check all the systems and find my own bubble on the course. I relax, set my breathing and then look at my watch. I also try to gauge my pace each 5k and not at each mile. It's easier for me to focus on where I want to be at each 5k. I also use the 20 mile mark and the 23 mile mark as the last gauges. If I am on pace at 23 miles and I have anything left, this is where I try and put the hammer down. It works if I have been fairly even throughout. Short answer-----ramp up to MP and try to get there by mile 2-2.5 and then push it if you have gas in the tank after 23. Don't fret if you aren't right at MP at the start of the marathon and slow down if you are going way faster....every second can mean a whole lot and not in a good way in a marathon. The race day adrenaline will make the first miles seem easy and that can be dangerous---at least for me. Hope that helps! Karin

King of PhotoShop

Maine, this is too late for today's run but you are on the right track as is Karin. I doubt there is any right or wrong answer but here is my opinion. For a ten-miler where the idea is to practice MP, I would go slow then easy the first two, then do 6-7 at MP and then dig down for a nice finishing mile, as you said you like to do. But if you do that, be sure to cool down. Don't let that final finishing mile be your last, maybe your ninth. Tim, there will be 6,000 runners. Just jog out easy. You will find your pace. The trick is not to jackrabbit start in a marathon, jumping over hedges, running down the highway median, barking at people. Force yourself to run an easy first mile, then drop down to pace. This is one of those things that a first timer just has to learn to do. You will also find it a big surprise to learn that no matter how slow you think you are running, you will probably be running too fast. You will have to experience this yourself. I agree with Dark Horse's view of the history of today's anniversary. Sad as it is, his overview is pretty much generally accepted today. That's why you see little argument between the candidates over how to withdraw there. It is a sad situation and I feel for those poor troops. Thanks all of you for your interest and concern. I probably didn't need that Power Point slide at all. The doctor laughed when he saw the title, "Why I Can Run Now." He told me to go ahead and run. Restrictions on distance, speed? He said, "You will know right away if you are doing too much. Use your good judgment to ease back into it." Of course I will, as there is more at stake here than my enjoying running. Tomorrow I will do a bit of slow jogging, alternating with walking, and pay attention to how I feel. Bruce, don't leave. Yes, it's a running forum, MOSTLY, but from time to time people will express their points of view about political issues, matters of faith, overweight spouses, hard to manage kids, the unfairness of taxes and income distribution. No one means any harm. We may not agree with others and we can keep silent, or put forth our own points of view. But you are too valuable to lose here because of one comment that offended you. If everyone recalls, tselbs openly asked us not to engage in political stuff, and for this very reason. So give this some thought and come back tomorrow and let us know how you are running. Aamos, I was tsk tsking about that game. Now they have 3 against the Rays "down there" where they are 0-6, and they will have to sweep or take 2 of 3. Also dangerous is a series against the very hot Blue Jays. Has anyone noticed how hot teh Jays and the Astros are? Wow. Spareribs
          The race day adrenaline will make the first miles seem easy and that can be dangerous---at least for me. Karin
          Karin - I know exactly what you mean here since this is where I have suffered a few times as well. Thanks for your input, you are quite the runner and I value your input. Oh and Happy Birthday too! Big grin So I took your advice and did the whole 10 at marathon pace without using the Garmin...I stuck it to my hat (a little wierd I know but I could hear the mile chirps this way and wanted the HR info too. Thursday - 10.04 miles at mp - 1:14:52 (7:27) Avg HR 143 Max HR 151 - 67 degrees & 49% humidity not bad. 7:34 (130/141) 7:33 (141/145) 7:25 (144/148) 7:32 (146/150) 7:19 (148/151) 7:20 (147/150) 7:14 (145/148) 7:27 (146/151) 7:38 (141/146) 7:31 (141/149) :13 (146/148) A little fast but not too bad considering it was all by feel and those last two miles are actually running back up hill a good portion of it. I am pretty pleased overall as the effort felt good and I felt like I could have gone on for a good distance longer at this pace with not too much extra effort. Smile Now for Sunday's scheduled 20 miler - the last long run!
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats Roy on ODAAT for 19years! I got in a nice hilly 13-miler this morning...beautiful weather and no aches or pain, what else could you want? [lol, I wrote this in the morning, but just noticed I didn't click post :-P]
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
            dg.

Thanks all of you for your interest and concern. I probably didn't need that Power Point slide at all. The doctor laughed when he saw the title, "Why I Can Run Now." He told me to go ahead and run. Restrictions on distance, speed? He said, "You will know right away if you are doing too much. Use your good judgment to ease back into it." Of course I will, as there is more at stake here than my enjoying running. Tomorrow I will do a bit of slow jogging, alternating with walking, and pay attention to how I feel.
              Ribs, that is the best news. remember..... we'll be watching carefully.

The Jogger

Thanks All for the good wishes on my recovery to date. Spareribs, great news for you, jogging is great. Also DH, I'm with you on that, I've always held that view. Good Night All Roy
                evanflein

Woohoo Ribs! That's greta news. Did you ask about heart rate? Had a nice 5.3 mile nooner with some tempo miles in there. It feels so good to get out in the middle of the day. And I for one am really looking forward to tomorrow, being Friday and payday and all...! Deb, I meant to say earlier how delighted I am with your progress. Sounds like you are really over the owie and on the road back! Good job, keep it up and be careful! Karin, I always go out too fast. I'd probably need an experienced pacer to run with me to keep me from doing that. I've never run a negative split marathon in my life. Would be fun to do that someday... but I have no discipline. Embarrassed I like the variety of "stuff" on the daily. There are plenty of threads/forums, etc that limit the postings to just running stuff. I've learned so much about so many things from this place, I'd hate to think it's "only" running. Through what we share here, I feel like I've gotten to know so many of you, and when some of us have met in "real life" I feel like I'm meeting an old friend. I hope that never changes.

King of PhotoShop

Karin - I know exactly what you mean here since this is where I have suffered a few times as well. Thanks for your input, you are quite the runner and I value your input. Oh and Happy Birthday too! Big grin So I took your advice and did the whole 10 at marathon pace without using the Garmin...I stuck it to my hat (a little wierd I know but I could hear the mile chirps this way and wanted the HR info too. Thursday - 10.04 miles at mp - 1:14:52 (7:27) Avg HR 143 Max HR 151 - 67 degrees & 49% humidity not bad. 7:34 (130/141) 7:33 (141/145) 7:25 (144/148) 7:32 (146/150) 7:19 (148/151) 7:20 (147/150) 7:14 (145/148) 7:27 (146/151) 7:38 (141/146) 7:31 (141/149) :13 (146/148) A little fast but not too bad considering it was all by feel and those last two miles are actually running back up hill a good portion of it. I am pretty pleased overall as the effort felt good and I felt like I could have gone on for a good distance longer at this pace with not too much extra effort. Smile Now for Sunday's scheduled 20 miler - the last long run!
                    Bob, I often think that it's that "feel" part of it that has the value. The ability to run at say 8 minutes a mile, give or take a few seconds, takes this kind of practice. You ran very well today. Nice work! Spareribs
                      I just wanted to say, Wildchild has the prettiest colours in her running log. Impressive run just a day after your race. Good job!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

I like the variety of "stuff" on the daily. There are plenty of threads/forums, etc that limit the postings to just running stuff. I've learned so much about so many things from this place, I'd hate to think it's "only" running. Through what we share here, I feel like I've gotten to know so many of you, and when some of us have met in "real life" I feel like I'm meeting an old friend. I hope that never changes.
                        I agree! I've learned a whole bunch about running and consider lots of you as my unofficial "coaches." I also learn how NOT to do things from bad experiences that have been shared. But I've also learned a lot about non-running stuff, like heart surgery, Latin, injury rehab, kitchen remodel, book recommendations, and Juan Agosto, to name a few. I hope there are no topics that are off limits, although perhaps politics and religion should be avoided. We lost Vista over a religious discussion, and I'd hate to lose Bruce over a political one.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I agree with Ribs, Erika and Carolyn - probably others too but those are the names that I remember right now w/o scrolling back too far. I do think religion and politics shouldn't be discussed too much, but of course, with a huge and potentially history marking election coming up, it's a topic on lots of peoples' minds and will inevitably leak out in a daily chatting thread, which would be rather mundane if it ONLY talked about running all the time. But whenever jokes or comments are made when it comes to religion and politics, some will find it humorous and others will find it offensive and tasteless. It just comes with the territory. But I'm glad you said what you did Bruce, as I think it's a reminder that we need to be a little more tactful when it comes to this topic. I really hope it won't deter you from coming here and sharing your running with us and engaging in some offtopic banter once inawhile. and yes, I was just looking at Carolyn's log earlier today and also noticed all the purty colors, Erika! Maybe I should make my colors more exciting so I have an added incentive to get all the different types of runs in!

Tammy

evanflein

(I like Tammy's purple runs!)

Renee the dog

Whenever someone writes something in a forum that gets me all fired up, I remind myself it was written by some hoser I only "know" from the internet. That usually calms me down and makes me laugh, and I get back to normal and respect his/her right to his/her opinion. (note "hoser" is used simply to crack a few people up)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

TammyinGP

(I like Tammy's purple runs!)
                                hmmm, purple is either EZ or TM, depending on which shade of purple you are looking at. Both are pretty boring and as you can see the majority of my runs on my log are 'purple' - so that means, "Boring!". I need more yellow in there! And red. Need more red.

Tammy