Masters Running

Grants Pass Half Marathon (Read 290 times)

TammyinGP

Ok, finally taking a minute to post up a quick RR. Packet pick up the day prior - sweet bag! Nice running gloves, Nike ProFit long sleeve compression shirt in navy blue with a tasteful logo in white on the front. Very nice. Bag of JellyBelly sport beans and another bag of clif shots - I think that's what they are? some new kind that actually has a liquid gel in the middle. Weather was ideal. A bit foggy, but no misty rain, no wind, comfortable temps for mid november. Low 40's I'm guessing? It was warm enough for a running skirt and long sleeve shirt, so I'm good with that. The first 2.2 miles were through the park. sometimes on wet soggy grass, sometimes you'd hop up on a sidewalk, chip bark path, small footbridge. I thought this would be my slowest part of the race, but as you'll see below it was actually my fastest. That was probably my first mistake - went out too fast. There were a fair number of kids running in the 5K and we all started out together, so I was proud of Econo for not harming any little fun runners. But I stuck right behind her that first mile or so just incase she needed to break a path for us. by a little over 2 miles, we finally hit the country roads. It was a quiet morning and traffic was minimal. The race had alot of volunteers to help direct vehicles since they didn't close any roads. They really did a good job. You never really know what to expect with an inaugural and since this was put on by a fairly new running store in town, they haven't sponsored other races before, but it was well organized. Just started a bit late, but no biggie. Miles 2.2 through about 12.5 were all country roads. And I found out later than right about mile 12 or so is real close to where LabDuck grew up. remember LabDuck? coming back into the park and then realizing we had to do about 1/2 mile in the park, on more long wet grass, soft ground, was hard. My legs were really screaming at me by about mile 11, so then to not really be able to kick it towards the finish was even harder. You just could not pick up your feet well enough. Here's my splits. First half okay, second half not so okay. 1: 9.04 2: 9.04 3: 9.06 4: 9.06 5: 9.17 6: 9.11 7: 9.25 8: 9.52 9: 9.47 10: 10.13 11: 9.59 12: 10.06 13: 9.52 finish time: I'm not really sure. I think it might have been around 2:04:40something? But I think John got a pic of me as I crossed the finish line, so that probably has the time. Afterwards, John, Econo, her mom (who ran/walked with 5K with John) and I headed over to a pizza and brewery, had something warm to drink and pizza. Visited for awhile and then they both had long drives home, so parted ways. I'll try and come back and add pics when I get them. John took a bunch of pics so as he posts them over on KR, I'll see if I can figure out how to post them here too. It was quite the race I hoped for, but I still had fun. And I still got out and ran 13 miles, so I can't complain about that. My running has been a bit lackluster lately, so I'm just pleased that I still ran it. Thanks for reading!

Tammy

arf

MM #405

That is a GREAT time for a 1/2 marathon Tam! Congrats !! The part where you had to run in the long wet grass on soggy ground did not sound fun though Tongue ..And you got running gloves in your race bag? That is sweet! Congrats again! arf
      evanflein

Sounds like an excellent goodie bag for your race. I always think that's such a crap shoot... I think my best one was the Napa marathon, worst one of the big races was NYC. But I never got cool gloves! Good job on your race, I think you had a fine time. And how fun to run with Econo, John and Econo-mom!! Thanks, Tammy, great job!

Renee the dog

Tammy, Here's to this inaugural race turning around your recent running! I'm so glad you had a fun time!!!! Thanks for taking the time to write up the report. I think it's extra important to do so for first time races, so others get a feel for how it was organized, etc. Great job!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the great RR Tammy. There is nothing wrong with your time...even though you wanted it to be quicker. Hey, you said you had fun AND ran 13 miles...sounds like a delightful day in IRC....WTG girl! Yeah, the goodie bag sounded a lot nicer than any of the one's I have ever received at any race. I did see a picture of you yesterday on the daily tet led me too...you are one PWR (Pretty Woman Runner)...and I DID have my glasses on. Greta job Tamster....there will be a next time when you will smash your 1/2 M PR!!! As I was "non" running yesterday morning, I was think'n about you and your race, like I said I would...tet was prolly still in bed, lol. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Yes, schweet schwag bag! Very nice racing, Tammy. Congratulations on a fine outing. Went to brewery and had something warm to drink.....OK...I'm good with that! Big grin Can't wait for the photos.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Waiting for the pictures! Yes, somedays it is just good to get out there and get some faster miles in. The weather sounded very nice, very PNW! I would hate to run on grass and probably would have turned an ankle. Nice shwag, I wish GP was a little closer.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Solid race, Tammy; congratulations! That's not too far off your PR, isn't it? Wet grass sounds a little ucky; I bet your shoes were soaked. Great strategy having Econo-elbows clear a path through those first couple of miles. Wink Neat that you were in Labduck's old neighborhood and got a nice shirt and gloves too. I'll be sure to check back for pics.

Be safe. Be kind.

I saw that, Tramps! Big grin Tamster, you've got the cutest son! I recognized him immediately from the pictures you've posted, but he's just a doll in person. And the most fun moment of the race was hollering in a big gruff voice, "TAMMY!" at mile 8. You ran that half marathon with style. Now we are too cool with our new compression shirts and Sporthill gloves.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

more long wet grass, soft ground, was hard.
                      especially hard to do when you're running as fast as you were but anytime soft gets to be hard like that, it's time to enjoy it in bare feet if possible. lucky. uhmmm, . . . no particular reason but did John get more than one hug?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tammy, it sounds like they did a good job of putting on the race, to include goodies. You met some other RA people, had a good time, and ran a good time. Congratulations. TomS
                          Great race Tammy, I hate starting and finishing on grass also. Great time though. I have to say my best goodie bag had Wright socks, everyone can use socks! Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice run Tammy. Any day spent doing anything with Econo and Johnny is a good day. And you got to run too! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tammy - that sounds like a tough course. Good thing you had Econo with you to push kids to the side if need be. Wink I think your time was awesome and the goody bag was great! Seems like all I ever get is a bunch of coupons that I'll never use. Congratulations and I can't wait to see the pics.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - cool stuff in the bag, you had fun, Econo didn't knock down any little kids, lunch with friends, a good run to burn it off - sounds like a very successful day to me! Smile I'll check back for the pics. Yes, I do remember Labduck....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."