Masters Running

Sunday May 31 End of Month Runs (Read 37 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Busy weekend for the Holly family, and I am finally taking a breath.  Friday's graduation open house for DS turned out wonderfully, and I think we had nearly 60 guests at our modest home, a wonderful mix of friends and family and DS' friends.  Luckily the weather was fine, and everyone spilled out into the deck and the backyard, where we had corn hole and croquet and various things to keep the kids occupied, and most importantly, we didn't run out of food!  DS had casually mentioned to me the week before that many of the graduation parties he had gone to had catered the event, and I gave him a look.  Me?  Have a party at my own house catered?  Not likely.....

Yesterday was the ceremony itself, and I admit I teared up a bit.  It was extra special because we had DH's dad and SM and mom, and my SD and his GF, so DS was awash in doting grandparents. 

14 miles for me this morning in 68 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Congrats to your son Holly.  Proud parents you must be. Funny your comments about catering at your own house.   I always think that catering food is for those who do not know how to cook for a crowd or cook at all.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone. We have a graduation BBQ and a dinner at a friends house to go to. Busy weekend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats on a successful (and huge!) graduation party for DS, Holly. I'm amazed, but not surprised, that you were able to feed and entertain that many people. I'm glad the graduation ceremony was a success too, and that the grandfolks could share in the celebration. And then you ran 14 this morning...!

Enjoy your busy weekend too, Mariposai.

Lots of good stuff to comment on from yesterday, but DW and I are on mission to get some errands out in the world checked off, so I'll have to pass.

Judging the racewalking races was terrific yesterday. It was a regional HS meet in Maine, and so quite a few schools were represented. Maine is one of the few states that has an active and impressive school racewalking program. There were about 25-30 competitors in the girls' 1600m race, and about 20 in the boys'. The fastest walkers in each race were very good. Those further back in the pack still have some work to do. After the races, the judges met, and we had to DQ 1 girl and 2 boys for repeated violation of the rules. We called 2 of the coaches over to tell them, and they weren't surprised, so they too knew that some of their walkers were a work in progress. I'm glad there were no confrontations over our decisions!

Just over 7 RW miles at our racewalking training session this morning. The turnout was very light because of the rain in the forecast, which gave me a little more time than usual to focus on my own training. It was around 70F, and the air was thick enough to cut with a knife, which left me feeling pretty sluggish all the time I was perambulating my way around the track. Sure enough, it started to rain as I was driving home.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Great news on the party Holly and congrats once again, also on the 14 miler.  I agree 100% with Mariposai. When I go to a catered event I always feel sorry for the people hosting it that they don't know how to cook.  We went to a grad party last night in Dallas and the mom is also a caterer.  She put together a huge buffet of fajitas with bbq'd pulled pork (carnitas), brisket and all the trimmings. It was outstanding and I didn't have to tell her too many times. She could tell by how many helpings I took!

Well, if EK is worried about poor Mr. EK coming to the flooded DFW area she can put her fears aside. It is a glorious sun-filled day, dry and cool, a perfect day to lie by the pool. And the forecast is the same this week. Should be great weather for a traveler to the Wetroplex, as it got named recently.

The Saint and I found a course this morning to get us 7 miles at an easy pace.

SpareTire was away for his b'day May 22nd, so we'll celebrate today.  All 3 boys will be here and I'll bbq some chicken, with some wood chunks to give it some smoke flavor, plus a big vegetable and bean salad.  Tonight we'll play "Oh Hell!"  Anyone know this card game?  We love it!

Nice singing voice Aamos!  So today will we split with you or take 3 of 4?  Your call.  Spareribs

Holly, I'm glad , but not surprised, to hear that your son's graduation and open house went off well.  Nice long runs for Aamos and Holly.

This morning, it was cool, rainy, and windy.  I did 3 miles on the TM at a 10:55 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice runs so far--inside and out.

Today is our 35th anniversary and I realized late last night that I had forgotten to get a card.  I did actually take care of a present (jade earrings) so I wasn't totally forgetful. So I figured I would turn my run into a card shopping expedition.  Unfortunately, the drug store didn't open for 20 minutes after I got there, so continued onto the supermarket up the road.  ended up with a little shorter run that expected for the two different destinations--5.5 miles at just about 10m/m.  Slow, but sweaty.  Haven't sweated through my shoes in quite a while.

ended up with a fast finish last half mile when I heard someone who sounded very loud and working really hard coming up behind me and thought "do I wanted get passed" and the answer was "No".  So my last 1/2 mile was just under 9 m/m.  Think I need to do that more often.  I'd love to get my 5k back down into that range.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Holly S. nice job on the party!  A lot of work but I am sure it was appreciated.  Well, at least by all those over 25!  

evanflein on my PC the way that picture renders it looks like something taking in the late 60's.  Happy growing!

henrun okay, 25 laps around and around a ship deck might actually be worse than a TM!    <-  If there ever was a time for this emoticon this would be it!

tetsujin209 as to the answer to the question why only 1 or 2 marathons a year, I am pretty sure I can come up with a list!  But, I am glad you did not and have been happily running many, many marathons per year ever since.

AamosY I had no idea Pomp & Circumstance had words let alone know them!

coastwalker I looked at the WSJ article you linked to.  Interesting problem.  I am really conflicted about it.  For those of you that have not (or cannot) see it, the article is about litigation that if successful might make it impossible for a race run by a for profit entity to use volunteers.

tselbs yes the "No running in the rain!"© rule does not have a spring or summer exception to it.  Good call on the TM!  

stumpy77 that was a CLOSE call!

Spareribs I saw a weather forecast for your area and was glad to see it rain free for at least a week.  Good luck drying out.

I thought about running this morning outside since it is supposed to rain here in CT for the next couple of days.  But, my hamstrings announced that they might be happier if I did not.  Since my hamstrings sidelined me for 2+ years I listen closely to them!  Instead I went down to use the elliptical.  If I am really lucky, there will be a break in the showers tomorrow and I can go out for a run.  If not I plan to follow tselbs' wise lead and use the TM.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 8 miles, today.  My DIL brought the twins down from Alaska for a visit.  They arrived at 5:30 am.  They're staying at Larva's house, who lives 4 miles away, so I ran 4 miles to her house.  Visited a little bit--gave Sonja a few "underdogs" on the swing--and ran back home.  I usually don't take breaks in the middle of my runs...but I made an exception, today.

Okay--that's it for now.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

BTW, I tried to post our family photo from FB here, but the picture is too big, and you only see part of the family.  I have no idea how to resize it.  Does anyone here know how?  I know not everyone here is on FB and I wanted to share here as well.

Mariposai and Ribs - I do realize that a caterer would make things simpler, but I love to cook.  However, I was thinking that the time I would likely hire a caterer would be if there was a death in our family.  I am hoping that won't happen anytime soon.

Still have family visiting, so I won't dawdle, but I have been reading here.  Just making sure you folks are staying out of trouble....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

That's a good exception to make, MikeE. When I still had horses at my parents' house, I'd run the 7 miles there to feed them and fiddle around a bit, then run the 7 miles back. Good way to visit my girls and get a long run done! Sigh, that seems like a long time ago now.

Spareribs, yes, DH is having a good time. He's visiting with his college roommate and family and they fed him a good dinner and keeping him busy today. His meetings start later today. Glad you've got a dry week ahead! "Wetroplex"... heh.

Twocat, I noticed that. Looks sort of like an old color picture from years ago, right? I think when the sun is so very bright, the iPhone camera just has a hard time with it. Colors look sort of yellowed... It'll look better when filled in, too. Good call on the elliptical. You've learned to listen to those cranky bits!

I love to cook, but since it's just DH and me I find I don't have patience for big menus. We like to grill, and mostly cook at home but the focus is on pretty quick, easy and what's good for leftovers for lunch! That being said, we don't do prepared foods hardly at all so pulling together a dinner or event wouldn't be too hard. I just don't have the ambition. But then again, we don't entertain much so that all works out well.

Happy anniversary to Kevin and DW! 35 years... wow. Jade earrings are very nice.

I've just been lazing around the house so far. I did a lot yesterday so not feeling real spunky so far today. I'll head out for a run here soon but no set plans on distance. I only need 8.1 for a 50 mile week, but will probably eek out a few more than that.

Mike E

MM #5615

Holly--post the picture.  Click on it again and a little square will appear on each corner.  Click on the corner (I always use the lower right).  A diagonal arrow will appear.  Drag that arrow toward the center of the picture and it will make it whatever size you want.  At least, that's what I do.

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent Mike - thank you!

Just me and the baby:

New skirt in town

I definitely want to see the picture!  Just as Mike says...post it and then grab the little corners to resize it.

If I were hosting 60 people, I fer sure would be catering.  I love to cook, but I just know that I'd be a worry wort with that many folks to serve!  I don't think I could breathe.  But Holly made it work in fine style and lived to tell the tale and even managed a 14-miler after the fact, which I'm sure seemed like a walk in the park after the festivities!  Congrats to your son, Holly!

Yesterday was supposed to be our Student Showcase at our Ballroom dance studio...but it was cancelled because of a massive power outage! No lights, no music, no dancing!  So, I sort of lived in opposite-world from Holly:  suddenly faced with nothing to do!  I squandered my time, did nothing productive, and loved it.  6 hours of quiet down time with nothing scheduled is a rare thing in our household!

Today I got a muggy 8.2 miles in before the rains started.  And we got back to the dance studio to add some flourishes to our rumba.  Maybe we'll get a chance to perform it someday when they reschedule the event!  I finally feel like I'm recovering from the dreadful upper respiratory thingie that laid me low last weekend.

You know, I normally sort of detest motivational posters, but Bill Rodgers signed one of his to me, congratulating me on running Boston for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  And my DH had it framed for my birthday!  Honestly, I had sort of forgotten all about it, but he had it propped up downstairs this morning when I stumbled into the kitchen in search of a pre-run coffee.  I love it, and I'll find a good spot for it in my basement gym! (Holly, I had to resize this photo just as Mike described.  It works!)

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

And the family:

Great pictures Holly!!

Sounds like a wonderful birthday Robin!!

I also would be catering or doing a combo of cooking and catering for a party of 60 or more. I just don't enjoy cooking that much to want to prepare food for that many - I envy those of you that love it and pull it off so well!!

Beautiful open water swim for me this morning before the rain started. I really wanted to get in another easy run, but went out too late and had brunch plans with friends I've known forever! It's been a really nice day.....now hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight and not toss and turn in panic over using the LIVE EPIC system at work tomorrow!!

denise