Masters Running

May: 7th: Thursday: (Read 38 times)

Dave59

I am enjoying the early Tuesday & Thursday runs.  Today I ran 5.84 on the City Forest trails.  Then I sat around for an hour at Starbucks with the gang. Now that it is warming up there are more people joining in.  Today we had 7 for the run and 8 for coffee.

For breakfast I made a grilled ham & cheese sandwich, along with a fried leftover baked potato, and topped it off with a Reese's Cup double pack.

What's Up?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sounds like me--when my appetite revs up a lot faster than my miles.  Good breakfast, though.

SRD for me today.  I have my car scheduled into the shop tomorrow for a brake job.  Not bad for 5-1/2 years and 125K miles.  This comes from my daily commute having 40+ miles each way on the highway.  Not much braking involved--don't even have to stop at the toll booths anymore.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya all!

So Dave, is it looking like we'll see you in Charlevoix next month?  And who's the sandbagger who just showed up for coffee this am without running?

SB gave me a coupon for a free breakfast sammich, which I gifted to DH.  He's a real breakfast lover, but has oatmeal every am for heart reasons.  And it's good.  But an exception now and again is ok, and he's a happy boy this morning.   I don't know which one he chose, but he gave it a very good review.

Thanks for the link yesterday marj.  I dunno--maybe we need to call in some of THOSE soxers.  And I eschewed a run last night for that .

sometimes, the real value or impact of a running trip is only appreciated after the trip is finished and you have time to reflect upon it.  Last year, Boston was all about taking back our race.  This year, I really appreciated the day before; going to Somerville and hanging with so many of you, and then Miss Robin's party and more of you.  It was so much fun to be together.

So it's warming up here....soon we'll "lose" the patio, meaning the AC will be on more often and we'll have to keep the doors to it shut.  The cats will be most unhappy about that.  I was just looking at my Southernmost Marathon card, set for Oct. 10, and thinking that there are a lot of hot and humid runs between now and then.

So just 3.5 for me this am.  Lazy Amy.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Thanks Dave...I knew I was hungry before I read your post.

Nice 5+ miler this morning. Felt like I was running slow but was shocked at my average pace whan I finished...a full 30 secs faster than I would have guessed. Sometimes that internal pace-o-meter gets out of calibration.

Good morning good people! I like how you had dessert with breakfast this morning Dave. And you can justify it because there was peanut butter in it

Slo - we'll miss you next weekend.  I'm sorry I couldn't sell your bib #. I didn't find anyone who wanted to run that hadn't already registered. I think this is the first time in years that the half didn't fill way before race day.  You will be missed. I'll think of you when I have my Spotted Cow after the race.

You traded the cold for the h&h of Florida Amos. I like the cold better (she said as she is over the below zero days of January-March). Not much of a runner when it gets warm. To me, around 40 to 50° is perfect.

Speaking of running, 6 miles this morning in sunny, clear skies and a beautiful 51°  Sure hope it's like this next weekend. I'm not feeling real confident with my training for this half. My running partner always says "be joyful" and I am always grateful for the gift.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Last night's group trail run ended up with 7 miles, with one swallowed bug (my first of the season as well).  That was only one more mile than usual, but it seemed to take way more out of me that a mile's worth. Fell asleep on the couch after dinner, which for some odd reason tends to annoy my DH to no end.

Will try to get in a short track session tonight, then rest up for this Saturday's 25K race.  It's going to be hot for this time of year, but I'm looking for a better outing than last year's hangover cure run.

Sad story indeed about the TM accident.  Probably way more people die by slipping in the tub, but I'm not going to stop using mine either.

Gotta make the appointment to get my winter tires off. ... figuring that the snow is finally gone.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

King of PhotoShop

Slow 2 mile recovery run today after yesterday's muggy 8.  The Saint got 6 in though.  We're having another good week.

Aamos, I was having steel cut oats for breakfast, using apple juice for sweetener, very heart healthy and great for my LDL. But with my protein problems I've switched to Special K Protein with skim milk.  It may raise the LDL but I'm getting more protein.  Very hard for me to balance what I need to train, vs. what will not help my cholesterol level.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

short run of 4 miles yesterday. probably about the same today.

David had a meet yesterday and has another one tomorrow. The one tomorrow is a more competitive meet, so yesterday's was more for fun and coach wanted the distance runners to mix it up and run something different. So David chose the 400m. okay, he hated it. said he'd rather run a 10K on a track than ever do a 400 again! lol.  He came in last with a 65. everyone else was sub 60.  Yep, he's a distance runner for sure.

He's pretty excited about the new XC Assistant Coach coming to his team next fall - an ultrarunner from NY. He can't wait to get back into XC where he can run long distances again.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!  (for a little while longer)

I had to be at a marketing meeting/tour of a medical monitoring company south of my town at 7:30am, then afterward drive an hour north to the office, then after work I have another marketing event - an estate planning seminar - until 7pm, at which time I will go to my DS' senior class award ceremony.  Busy day.

No run for me today, just 30 minute of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo - we'll miss you next weekend.  I'm sorry I couldn't sell your bib #. I didn't find anyone who wanted to run that hadn't already registered. I think this is the first time in years that the half didn't fill way before race day.  You will be missed. I'll think of you when I have my Spotted Cow after the race.

Yeah, I was looking forward to it. Tough to beat that venue...especially if Green and Yellow flow thru your veins.

Spotted Cow, I'm down to five bottles. Thankfully the Wisconsin border isn't that far away. My neice lives in Oconomowoc and comes home frequently and A gal here at work travels up there bi-weekly to visit her son in military school.

Hey all, thought I'd hop in here as I start running again after a 3+ year hiatus. Ran (walked) a leg of the Flying Pig and realized how terribly out of shape I have become. So I'm starting back up this week--with my eye towards running Northcoast 24 again in September and/or Columbus in October. I ran Northcoast Fall of 2011 and Spring of 2012 pretty much untrained and managed 63 and 66 miles if I recall correctly.

Really just want to get back in decent shape--having trouble keeping up with the kids..and I need a goal to keep me properly motivated.

Dave, cute picture of Riley.  Slo, when you mentioned a niece in Oconomowoc, you caught my attention.  Then you said you had a coworker who went there to visit her son in a military school.  Is it St. John's?  My dad taught there for about 5 years, late 60s and early 70s.  Twocat, nice long run.

This morning, we had another nice one: it was in the high 50s to 60 while I was out.  (Is my colon appropriate?  I did it thinking of the other day.) I got in 5 miles at an 11:26 pace.  It's now about 80°.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E you are . . . you are . . . sorry I just cannot do it!  

SteveP as an alternative you could gain lots of weight!  Then few things would weigh more than you! 

HopesMom and Murphy996 welcome to the daily.  Murphy996 that is some running on very little training.  Can I introduce you to tetsujin209?

Dave59 that is breakfast?!    All I can say is stay out of one of those cooking show contests on TV.  If they put you in a breakfast challenge they would boot you off the island for having made at least lunch if not a quick dinner.  Then again I had leftover lamb for breakfast the other day so who am I to talk write.

stumpy77 send your car guardian fairy to my house!  I do not think I have ever had a car go that far without some fairly significant repair.

AamosY running trips are especially appreciated when they involve vans with 11 other people through the New Hampshire countryside! Especially in September! Just a thought.  

Slo_Hand can I borrow your pace-o-meter?

Jlynne I somehow suspect you will do just fine in your HM.

Hemerocallus what is with all the bug eating on this board of late?  Is there like a new bugs as food fad I missed? 

Spareribs that is a tough balancing act you have.  My first thought was eggs for protein.  But then that blows up the cholesterol.  I have seen some vegan breakfast burrito recipes that use beans and the like for protein.  I wonder if they would work in your diet?  They are clearly way higher in calories than what you are eating now but might offer an occasional break in your routine.

Holly S. my estate plan A is to not die.  If that does not work out my plan B is to die penniless. If that fails I am going back to A until B works out.  

tselbs we are going through similar weather here.  Changes of 20 to 30 degrees from morning to night.

I went out for a 10 mile run this morning.  Beautiful weather for it.  I clocked in under an 8:40 pace which I am very happy about since it did not feel fast.  My current problem is that I am checking on the weather forecast for Burlington Vermont about twice a day already.  Now, the race is not for over 17 days so there is no race day forecast.  You would think that would stop me from checking.  But nooooo!   I am going to drive myself crazy!  Somebody stop me before I click on the Weather Channel again!!!   Help!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Perfect, pre-summery, sunny morning to turn over a new leaf and, after 39 years, finally get out of the rut of only running in race events: 4 miles.  Still sore calves from mid-footing the Bloomsday 12K on Sunday with remnant hamstring tenderness too from hoofin’ it up Doomsday Hill at mile 4.5
                              Mariposai - is the Sunflower 50K gunna work out for you after all this weekend?.
                              I hope so.  I loved the nearby Cutthroat Ridge course in those days

but would need to unage my legs by at least 10 years

to handle that kind of terrain again I used to love so much.

Have fun for me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

TC, you are correct that all those who need the protein but don't want meat, for example, vegans and heart patients, are all over beans and peanut butter

Breakfast today was the Special K with skim milk, so I get about 14 grams of protein from that.

Lunch was a cinnamon raisin bagel from Einsteins and I made a PBJ sandwich on it.  The bagel alone has ten grams of protein and 2 T of PB adds another 8, so that's 18 g. for lunch.

I need 76 grams of protein per day, given my workout schedule, so I am at 32 before dinner, leaving me needing 44 grams more.  Often a 5-6 oz. portion of salmon gets the job done from there.  Tonight I'm making swiss steak, recipe I got from Alton Brown (Google swiss steak Alton Brown) and two small pieces of the beef will do it for me.  It's braising right now in diced tomatoes, beef broth, vegetables, Worcestershire and spices.

Sure I could do without the meat and fish, but man is that a lot of beans!  Spareribs