Masters Running

Melting an old man's heart (Read 511 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, I think you're adorable.
    I do, too! Wink And what a cute puppy! You remind me of my dad. He never wanted a dog as a family pet while I was growing up. My mom did, as she'd had a golden retriever when she was a kid. So anyway, one summer when I was in high school, a friend was working at the docks and saw a puppy get thrown out of a car. He was looking for someone to take the little guy in. My dad was away on a business trip, and I asked my mom. She said we could at least meet the puppy ... well, you can guess what happened. We fell in love with him, and decided to "surprise" dad when he got home. My dad always said he wanted a son named Gus, but my mom always said ewww. So we painted the name "GUS" on a little bowl, and told dad he had a new little boy named Gus. It turned out he was an old softy like Spareribs, and loved the dog for 17 years. Of course by then all us kids had long since moved out, so Gus was my mom and dad's dog.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Spareribs I am so dissapointed in you. All these years you have come down hard on pet lovers and there's your pic with this cute little dog on the web page. You are out of the "Men against Pets Group". You realize you will have to pay a big fine now and that we at "Men against Pets" will forever look down at you. Send the cheque my way asap... Congrats Ribs... I knew we would break you at some point Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

PJH

Isn't there a pet thread where you now need to post this picture? Who couldn't love a puppy like that? I can see it now ... instead of the solid running advice and meaningful running discussions that we've come to expect from you on this thread, these will now start being replaced by "doggie stories". Oh, how the world turns. Smile PJ
        arf

MM #405

Ribs, she is sooooooooo adorable, and you're pretty cute too, for an old guy Big grin Let us know what her name is and post lots of pic's K? arf
          SteveP

Kewl story!!! Thanks for the picture!

SteveP

huskydon

A great story! Nice pic too! How darling the pup is!
                Ribs - the look on your face belies your rhetoric over the years. I always had my suspicions. Congratulations for your new family member. -Lou

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave59

We adopted an adult dog from the SPCA and had her about 7 years. Great golden retriever that never left my side. I figure I scooped up close 2500 baggies of dog poop during that time. So, it's a tough decision if I'll ever have another dog. Does the companionship outweigh the poop cleanup and walks when it's -10°???? Have fun with yours though.... Cool

I'd love to see the look on your son's face when he realizes he's getting a dog. That is going to be absolutely priceless.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

I figure I scooped up close 2500 baggies of dog poop during that time. So, it's a tough decision if I'll ever have another dog. Does the companionship outweigh the poop cleanup and walks when it's -10°????
                      What -- you don't like a hand-warmer in the winter? Tongue

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Spareribs and The Saint, what a cute little puppy. Hudson is a lucky boy Big grin.
                          I'd love to see the look on your son's face when he realizes he's getting a dog. That is going to be absolutely priceless.
                          Which is a good idea...SR & The Saint.....you might want to have a camera ready for that moment. Of course you have already thought of this, but anyway......
                          Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

This is wonderful news, cute puppy and SR turning over a new leaf! My only question is... Will he get along with your other dog? Spareribs "other" doggie... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/lateboomer/spareribspuppy.jpg

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The Jogger

Hey, Spareribs, that was sooo good to read, to learn a bit about your childhood and how you have taken such a step for your boy. It's such a nice story. You need to have a camera ready to take his pic when he first see's that puppy. Roy
                                Cry Smile Very cool story with very happy ending, or is that a beginning? So tell me, was it the Hound Dog Hustle, and seeing all those wonderful pups that really did the trick fer ya? The first dog I ever acquired on my own (at 9 years old with $50 I had saved) was a Sheltie pup. Very smart, and very loyal. Good choice of breeds. You're in for a wonderful ride!
                                Progress Trumps Pefection