Masters Running

10-11-11 Tuesday Grommit (Read 537 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Porridge today.

Sorry about the rant yesterday.  The part I don't understand about my achilles is that I had achilles tendinitis in both ankles (since 2007).  Slowly over time, the left achilles got better, but the right achilles got worse.  The left is fine now, and the right is very painful.  But I put the same strain on both.  Meh.

This morning - lifted, then watched Conan the Destoyer in the cardio cinema.  Arnold Shwarzenager, Wilt Chamberlain, and Grace Jones.  Now there's an acting triumvirate.

Enjoy the day.

Grommit? Like Wallace and Grommit?

Sorry about your aches and pains. But speaking of pain...Conan the Destroyer? Wow.

3 yesterday, recovery. 4 today, recovery....my quads are smartin' from Sunday's HM

New skirt in town

Just some dynamic flexibility exercises this morning, with some SI joint loosening exercises thrown into the mix. Then I walked 1 mile on the treadmill and did some stretching, followed by some quality time with my foam roller. 

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  PBJ--I feel your pain, man.  I've been dealing with it in both heels since 1998.  It sucks!  I will say that--before you do surgery--try the prolotherapy--it hurts like crazy--but that's how I'm able to run, today.

Hey!  I'll bet I'm #1 today!  I know I'm not the #1 runner on here.  I'm not the fastest--I don't run the furthest (or is that farthest--I never know)--I haven't run the most marathons.  Oh, and I'm not the best looking--and I'm for sure not the tallest.  BUT--I'll bet I have the cleanest colon of anybody on here!  I'm number one!  I'm number one!  I'm number one!  Sorry...I've always wanted to be number one at something...

coastwalker

PBJ - sorry I missed the rant (and everything else) yesterday. Could your right achilies be suffering because you overcompensated when the left achilies was hurting? Just a guess - I don't really know much about achilies issues.

Arnold, Wilt and Grace? Is 'acting' the right descriptor?

Nice recovery work and flexibility work this morning. Mike; Let's not compare notes - I'll just agree that you've got me beat...

We spent most of yesterday on the road, driving back from the reunion. We got home in time for me to get in a lawn mower workout before it got too dark. As great a time as we had, it was nice to be home. Meanwhile, the next reunion has been moved up to 2013, and the planning has begun. We're looking at coastal NJ, but have to find a town that has choices of huge (sleeps 20+) vacation rental homes.

It was also nice to be back on familiar roads this morning, and to have a full moon still high in the sky to light my way. I did a 5-mi. tempo workout, and also worked on form issues throughout. Each mile was a little faster than the previous, which was very satisfying.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I have the cleanest colon of anybody on here!  I'm number one!  I'm number one! 

When it comes to number two, you're number one.

Robin, your training and taper have been super!  So, the Boston half marathon doesn't require a qualifying time, right?  I've thought about running it...mta-I just saw your joke about my pace graph.  No worries but I did have palpitations once or twice when my doc had me on Relafen.

Just a short lunch run and yoga planned for me today.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

When it comes to number two, you're number one.

Big grin

Good morning everyone.  I trust everyone has been good while i was away?  No?  Fines to follow once I can figure out who's been bad and who's been good.

No fines for MikeE.  He's done enough penance already.

We had just an outstanding time last week in N. Michigan.  The weather was spectacular - really almost unheard of nice for Oct. in MI.  It was chilly when we first arrived and cranked up the pellet stoves, but after that first night it was perfect all week.  It was great to be able to spend some time with my parents in our place up there.  We've spent considerable time, sweat, and dollars getting the place in tip top rental shape and it was nice to (mostly) just enjoy it.

Mom and Dad are healthy and happy.  You may recall my Mom has Emphysema which is just wrong for a lifelong non-smoker who has never been even close to overweight.  Several years ago she couldn't breath well at all; was getting tired very, very easily and I was worried about her.  But the spots are gone off her lungs and she was much more energetic.  Nice to see.  Dad had his 85th birthday while we were up there, and though he is very thin and getting tired quickly, he still managed to help out a bit and his mind is sharp as a tack as ever.

I didn't run too much since we did have a task list to work through.  But I did run through the Tunnel of Trees twice - south one day, and north the next.  I saw 14 deer while I ran on Saturday.  Nicely rolling hills, but nothing that I minded a bit.  The colors of the trees were amazing to run through.  Right at our place, being closer to Lake Michigan, the leaves will peak in a week or so.  But getting inland 4 or 5 miles - spectacular and indescribable.

During the middle of the day and the afternoon the traffic was pretty brisk with cars and motorcycles taking in the Tunnel of Trees.  Especially motorcycles.  Wow, so many of them.  We have a "For Rent" sign up by the road and I joked that we need to add a "Motorcyclists Welcome!" to the sign.  The Good Hart General Store and the little Farmer's Market was mobbed all day.  There is a Crepe guy who brings his mobile crepe trailer on weekends.  He said he sold 500 crepes at $8.00 a pop in a little over 4 hours.  You do the math.

Back to the grindstone today.  I *really* gotta get myself retired one of these days ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mike E

MM #5615

Dang it, Walt--I wish I had thought of that one. AND--I just remembered that they're sending me home with pictures...and you all know how much I like to post my pictures. I hope I can figure out how my scanner works...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Out for 4 miles all by myself this morning.   Brinkley is still not using his back leg, although DH thought he saw him put it down yesterday afternoon at one point.    He is getting along great on the other 3 though and really wanted to go with me this morning.    He tends to drive me nuts on our runs with his cat fartleks, sudden bathroom stops etc., but I sure missed having him along this morning.   Here he is with the very pregnant B'Nellie and you can see how tired she looks .....

Sorry about your achilles problem especially with your race coming up next week PBJ.    I have not seen Conan the Destroyer and don't plan on it either.  Wink

Byll, I was just thinking of you on my run this morning and wondering how your dad's birthday celebration was - happy to read that it all went well.   I bet your parents really enjoyed your place up there.   Yep, fall motorcycle trips are big time events - especially as spectacular as the weather was last weekend.

Nice to see Forum Slacker Doug posting yesterday.   

Hi Deb!!

MikeE - I have some of those pictures myself.    I tell you what, I will post the fall pond picture now .... you just have to promise us that you will not scan and post your pictures.   Deal??

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mike E

MM #5615

Mary--WOW! Okay...you have a deal.
                             I hope I can figure out how my scanner works...

Just sit on it.

Slo

It's been a color explosion here. I'd love to take a weekend off and hit some of the back roads...Ain't gonna happen this year.

7 miles this morning. I was reminded why I don't like end of day runs yesterday. Takes too much will power to skip snacking when I get home. I have to delay that after work beer, There is far more traffic in the evening than there is in the morning. I'm forced to use the sidewalks because of this. And there's more people (walkers) out on the sidewalks so you have to figure out which one of us is going to yield.

What worked though was; My DD#2 has Jazz Band practice for 1hr 10mins. It's a 15 min drive to practice. I hate to drive there, then back then go back again so we try to combine her practice with errands...Last night I just parked the truck and went out for my run.

Mike...Hope everything come out alright.

...WayToGo mikeE's Colon//.........YOU Da,,,,er,,,,,

NEVERMIND.

==============

...22min poolrun

nothing funny happened.

O'intKeer.....

''non-funny''

counts double,,,,,,,,it seems to last longer.

...................good running guys..........WatchYourPhonetics......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....