Masters Running

Twilight Trail 7.4 mile race (Read 231 times)

Hadn't intended to post about this race, but it was an interesting experience, so here goes...... This trail race was run at Bluff Point and Haley Farm State Parks in Groton, CT on the Long Island Sound. There was a shorter 3.something mile race, but my husband and I opted to do the longer race. We might have gone with the shorter distance had we walked the course before the race. Fashion report - purple, long-sleeved Under Armor tech shirt (in lieu of the black singlet I planned to wear), black FUG, black Brooks shorts, white (before the race) Baldega socks, black Asics waterproof cap and purple Nimbus 7's. Garmin in plastic bag (anyone see where this is going?). We arrived at 5:30 for a 6:00pm start. It was drizzling in earnest and a bit windy. I received bib #1 - the one and only time I'll ever claim to be #1 in a race ;-). We hung out in the race tent until a couple of minutes before the start - when it begn to rain steadily. It never stopped raining. The trail, while touted to be flat, was a series of hills winding along the beach and then into the trees. My first half mile split was an 8:13, and the second was 8:26 - going way too fast, but afraid I was gonna be last. My heart rate climbed to the 180's by the end of the 2nd mile. Then I couldn't read my watch anymore because of the rain and my steamed glasses. There was a particularly treacherous stretch of rocks in the woods around mile 2. I was contemplating my gazelle-like reflexes and congratulating myself on surviving this stretch when I found myself face first in a mud pit. I don't know what I tripped over, but it took me down. Muddy from the knees down (no more white socks), I scrambled to catch up with the boomer I was using as a pacer. These small races are so deceptive - being a back of the packer anyway, I thought I was really at the very end of the pack in this race. I did pass a couple of runners in the first mile or two, but they looked so bad I thought that they would DNF, and I would be the absolute last runner in. This gave me a lot of impetus to try and keep up with the guy in front of me. I grabbed a cup of water at an aid station and proceeded to choke myself (I didn't want to stop to drink and take the chance of loosing my rabbit). I passed 2 or 3 other runners around miles 4 and 5. At mile 6 there was a long half mile stretch of chunk rock along a rail road track. I got hung up behind a youngster, and my pace bunny pulled away from me. I did eventually pass the kiddo (later learned that he was only 12) when the trail opened up, but my pacer had an insurmountable lead on me by that point. I finished in 1:06:29 with an average 8:59/mile pace and an average heart rate of 178. I was 52nd out of 70 runners (not last). Third in my age group (of three - ha!). There were 40 student masseuses waiting in tents at the finish line offering free massages. What a fine way to end a wet, soggy race. The two students that worked on me kindly wiped off my muddy legs and then gave me a nice 15 minute massage - heavenly!! The organizers served hot corn chowder as well. A couple of dozen sponsors provided raffle prizes, and all of the finishing runners names were thrown into a hat. DH won an Olive Garden gift certificate and I won a Stop and Shop gift certificate. Then they threw all of the names in the hat again and drew for a kayak and two nights in the Mystic Hilton (we didn't win either of those). A fund experience in spite of the rain! Thanks for reading!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Great job Sue and so glad you enjoyed the experience. Fun to get bib #1...hope I get that one day. Thank you for sharing. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

With the rain and mud for this trail race, it sounds like quite a challenge. You did well and apparently had a good time. Congrats on the AG award and drawing prizes for you and your husband. TomS
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, that sounds grueling!! I hate running in the rain with my glasses on. Cool that you got such a good massage afterwards. I can't figure out why races are advertised as flat when they're not!
            Wow, lots of neat things happened, getting number 1, the massage, the gift certificates. I guess it was worth the wipe out after all!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks for the laugh on your wipe out (opppss......sorry, I am supposed to be sympathetic!!!). That would have been me........Anyway, you did well and your time is good. That must be a fast group of people to run at that pace and not be higher. The day was good though. Keep that #1 bib. I have a #7 and thought THAT was good. Congratulations on the prizes. Olive Garden would be nice to go to on a non-rainy night. Thanks for sharing Joey
              Vista
              Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

A muddy trail and rain... that makes that hot shower when you get home all the more wonderful!! .. I still have a lot of work to do before I can convince my DH to run with me in such conditions! Great job on both accounts!!! Francesca
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sounds like fun! What good is a trail race if it's not muddy? Wink I got the #1 bib at LaT's race last Sept. (the one that The Pro won) and I'm sure that's the only way I'll be #1 in any race.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Way to exceede in adversive conditions!!!

SteveP

NIce job, Sue. It's these types of races that we don't soon forget. Stop and Shop....sweet! Big grin Also, maybe you can get in on the Olive Garden gig! Sounds like a fun race, even in the sloppy conditions. Congrats!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, Sue - you didn't have to tell us there were only 3 in your age group!! Smile I think you were quite speedy considering it is a trail run and quite treacherous at times. Well Done!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

What an adventure - and some nice loot as well! I think your time was pretty darn respectable, considering the conditions - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Gosh Sue, it's sounds like a nice gentle trot Wink You did well to finish and 3rd in AG Smile Well done on a very tough race with hard, hard conditions both you and hubby. Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sue that sounded like fun, especially the hot chowder and massage at the end! Thanks for sharing! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Hey, if you'd gone Econo on that 12 year old you could've passed him sooner! Wink Sounds like you had a great time in spite of the rain. Massages, corn chowder and gift certificates at the end! That makes it worth getting there. Good job and thanks for posting!