Masters Running

Sunday, June 15th Daily......Father's Day Special (Read 438 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow, lots to think about here today...thanks for the thoughtful start off Joey. I never had a dad around, and me and my brothers step dad hated us for being there. I am absolutley amazed I turned out as well as I did...but have to admit Fathers Day is a Holiday I just don't think about. My 3 kiddos are in the Military, so I may or may not hear from them today....but you know what??? Life is about attitude, and I refuse to accept nothing but positive thoughts, and hope for happiness for all...I am a Blessed man. God Bless each person here, whether you have a father or not! Nice long run Bill...in some hot conditions, way to gut it out! Eliz....thanks for the post of the day yesterday, as far as I'm concerned. I just got back from "enjoying the gift" 5 easy miles - 10 min pace. Quads were really sore from racing yesterday....didn't notice till I started running Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

For those who's dads are living, I hope ya'll called your Dads today. They are special! I called mine...he's looking forward to a night of golf and B-Ball. dg... I LOVE your excitement! This running stuff IS fun! Ran 20.6 miles of hills in 3:25:40 (10:00 pace). It was hard even with the slower pace and lower HR due to the temperatures 70-80F and humid. I felt fine after so it was a good workout. Tory went for the first 2.2 miles Did anyone see Leo Manzano's (Texas) 1500m race at the NCAA meet. Wow, what a runner. He stayed in the lead from the start and as anyone started putting a move on, he sped up and then broke away big time in the final stretch. Really great run. It was his last NCAA race as he graduates.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

...dg//.........thanks, yep, hip/hammy/FINALLY knee all at 100%...... .....Dr Bookspan knows what she's talking about.... and she works cheap........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Perch, Harriet, twocat, Tramps and others who ran long today, my hat's off to all of you. I think today was the first day in TX that I really felt the high heat, despite how early I got started. It was a 6:45 departure for me and I ran slowly but fairly comfortably for my planned 12. It was 96 when I finished. Francois, nice AG win in the 17's! Good for you in that H and H! SteveP, for a guy who thinks he is Batman, you say the sanest things. I really appreciate your outlook. Great post. Good choice today Tim. A bit of recovery is just enough. Many years ago I used to train with a lovely woman whose husband was a Colonel in the Army. When he got the "bird" pinned on when he was promoted to full Colonel and they asked him to make a speech, he said, "I am so happy today. The only regret I have is that my father cannot be here to share this day." She said to me the next day, "His dad died when he was young and he never mentions missing him. I was so surprised to hear him say that." Well, I knew what he meant. My dad was 54 and I was 12 when he died. And from time to time some good thing happens to me in my life and as happy as I am on those occasions, I always say to myself, "If only my dad were here to see this!" And I know that for all of you whose dads have passed on, you secretly say the same thing. Those occasions are my Father's Day. Since I do all the cooking in the family I think they want to spare me today. I am going to watch the U.S. Open final day and follow my idol Tiger, and then we're going out for Indian food. I hope they make enough of that naan bread! Spareribs
          Mariposai

The non-runner in my life just showed me this comic strip Undecided

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wonderful posts here from so many. Thank you and Happy Father's Day. 17 very sweaty miles for me. Out for the first half in 9:10 pace and back in 8:45ish pace. The temperature was nice at 65F or so, but the dew point about equaled that, so hydration and salt balance was key for me today. Legs felt great and this tells me that I didn't push it hard enough yesterday. Tongue Good week of running all in all. Nice racing Tallrunner! Instead of a Father's Day hike that was our plan, the kiddo asked his father if they could go fishing and the mutual gleam in their eyes was tough to ignore. A lovely journey for father and son and I am happy to stay home and clean up. Ribs, my husband does all the cooking here. His plan is to make burgers out of sirloin tips with blue cheese and red onions since I'll be on my way to the airport and can't complain. He'll get to use his new fancy wireless bbq thermometer. Go Tiger! Super Granny is back home and she already called her sons to say Happy Father's Day so she can watch Tiger play in peace. Go Celtics! Perch, I watched the NCAA track meet yesterday as well. Fabulous! On to Dayton, Ohio soon.... Karin/CNYrunner
                6 recovery miles, sunshine and shade, balmy 54 to 58F, felt like a heat wave. Even though my legs were dead, I really really enjoyed this run. Must be the sunshine. Cool I am fortunate my father is still living. He is very kind and sensitive. He has given me a few kernels of wisdom over the years. One being, "when you are young you worry about really inconsequential things" and "just put your kids on your knees and tell them you love them, that is all they need to hear and everything will turn out fine". Great perspective. Enjoy the gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

I was seriously thinking of doing a half marathon today... but I'd have to get up at 4 a.m. to make it over to Waikiki in time to register at 5, race start at 6. I set the alarm (2 of them!) for 4 a.m. and tried my best... but I just couldn't get up. I was sooo tired! I'd spent the last couple of nights staying up way too late trying to get so much done before leaving, and then travel all day yesterday. I was just too tired. So, I got out at 7:15 and ran 9.25 miles on the roads around here. Temp was 80 to 82, humidity almost 60%... that's high for me. I had a bottle of water with me and DH met me at mile 8 to see if I wanted a ride... gave me more water and I was good for running back to the house. Now the boys are making breakfast for the dads (we've got three families staying here in this house/guest cottage place). It's pretty nice here... amazing how they pack all these houses in here though. We're right on the beach... I'll post pics later. One of our boys was featured in a picture from the soccer scrimmage they did on Friday. The Honolulu Advertiser is the paper, and Luke is right on the front page. Pretty cool. Happy Fathers Day to all the dads... I'll call my dad after breakfast and send him hugs over the phone...
                    HAPPY FATHER'S DAY ALL!! my dad passed away 28 years ago from a massive heart attack - he was a quiet man with lots of love for his family and a great role model - he is still missed greatly!! my running has been taking a back seat to all the graduation activities and trying to pick up extra work hours but i need to get recommitted - ran track wed night in that sweltering heat - coach had us skip the long segments he had planned, then went out for a rehab type run yesterday while we were away camping -- went out for an hour and alternated 10 min running with 5 min walking -- felt ok, on the sluggish side and today have that slight ache in the butt ............... oh well, just need to keep plugging away slowly mri results were ok - nothing too remarkable: grade 1 splondylolisthesis of L4-L5 and L-5 to S1........some disc bulging at L-5 which presses on the nerve root ........so not too major but shows why i get that sciatic nerve type pain - slow and steady with my running and hopefully will be ok

denise

It is interesting to see the various situations being posted about Fathers. I wonder what our kids will one day say about us? I ran 5.18 miles and must have had the same heat as Spareribs. While the thermometer didn't indicate an exceptionally high number (89 degrees), the sun must be very direct as I felt like I was baking. Anyway, I got the miles in and was pleased with the workout. Tiger's chase today is going to be interesting with his competitive nature, coming off the emotional high and momentum of yesterday, and still having to deal with a weakening injured knee. This should be entertaining, no matter what the outcome is.
                      Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Father's Day! 12 easy-paced miles for me this morning on surprisingly good legs. I thought they would be tired and stiff from yesterday's race, but not so. DH is getting lots of attention today, since it is after all his day, and I have promised to get off the computer and join my family on the couch for a family movie. Smile Hope the rest of you had a wonderful day, and I'll have to read about it in the morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Yeah Ribs, I did get it with Karin's RR. But even with a Garmin watch, how does one know how fast they are running if only by feel...which I do by HR basically. Glad to know that you will be all over me...I look forwrd to the challange...really. Tim
                          I have given this a lot of thought, and would like to make two points. The first is that nearly everyone messes up the first mile. And the second is that the reason they mess it up is because they judge it be "feel" as Tim points out above. RR's often say, "In the first mile I was feeling great, so I was surprised to see that I ran it in 6:24. Oops! Too fast, but I continued on, trying to slow down....at about two and a half miles there was a short uphill and I just couldn't seem to make my legs go....I was able to sprint the last tenth or so in :41 though...." Two methods of overcoming this tendency: one I mentioned the other day here. Get on the track and run at the pace you expect to run your first mile in. Then do it again. Then do it again. Bring that pace to the race, tuning out all other stimuli, such as the pace of the runners around you, and most importantly, how you "feel." The second is to race more often. The difference between a Karin first mile and the first mile of everyone else is exactly within those two approaches. She works hard on pace so she "knows" the pace from memory, rather than from feel, and she races enough so that she is confident about knowing how fast she is going. This is an important takeaway from track work, and is one more good reason to reinforce that track work at VO2 max, or faster than fiveK pace has very limited practical training benefit. Use your track workouts to practice the learning of various paces. Spareribs
                          SteveP

! SteveP, for a guy who thinks he is Batman, you say the sanest things. Spareribs
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBsxqQIu_5s&feature=email

SteveP

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Instead of sittin’ around mopin’ for missin’ yesterday’s Lake Youngs mini-ultra <>franci/franci)>>> and Cougar Mountain Trail Series 7.5 miler <>enke/enke)>>> (on same day this year), I changed plan to go over to Green Lake Sunday morning to cheer the finale of barefoot ted’s attempt to break the 208 mile 24 hour world skateboard record (pump division looking like swaying with an invisible hula hoop keeping feet on board all the time), to going over at 10:30 pm Saturday for my first all nighter with 50K of in-line skating until 3:30 am and then four hours of barefooting it around the lake while being lapped and lapped and lapped by barefoot ted setting a new. By 4:00 am, I was dozing off with regularity all the while while running and conjuring visages of broken, earthquake-like gaps in the bike path and impassable buckling of the trail, even seeing a huge armidillo crossing in front of me (turned out to be three Canada geese), etc. I wanted to quit but no sleeping bag or car so kept on running until, to my amazement, the morning sun at 5:30 am totally rejuvenated me almost like I’d slept all night waiting for the new day. Ran the last laps strong (albeit very slow) to thrill to ted’s 250 or so miles at the 8am finish! With all five other contenders dropping out, ted attributes barefoot running (up to 100K) to giving him a strong foot grip and ultramarathon experience with perfecting his pacing. Good job ted! ps - when he did a 2.8 mile victory lap, I said he was like Charlie couldn't get off the MTA. No one knew what I meant (even, if not especially, when I sung it). Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)