Masters Running

Sundaily, 12.17.23 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Nice 4 miles in 37-42° temps, Holly.

Good but scary 8 miler, Dave. How did you feel for the rest of the day? Did you do your usual pre-run eating and/or drinking yesterday? I hope you find out what caused the issue so you can prevent it from happening again.

Good 5.4 miles on the trails, and on tired legs, Tramps. I'm glad you had a beautiful day for it.

Nice work on the Stairclimber and with some weights, Tomwhite.

Good 5.5 miles with less shuffling running, RCG, plus 1.6 miles with King L sniffing along. As I've said before, and will keep saying: I can't tell you how much I enjoy your posts and your lyrical observations about your workouts, the swamp, and other issues. I'm sad that Mama Rose is suffering, and I know that you and the rest of the fam are doing the best you can to respect her dignity and independence while working to keep her as healthy as you can. It is hard, but it is so worth the effort, for her and for you.

Nice 10.1 to-the-water-fountain miles, KSA. Also nice that you went on your own schedule, but still got to see some of the group runners, and enjoy a post-run English Muffin with some jammin' jam.

Tet, as others have said, don't be shy about taking the pain meds as needed, although I (and probably most of us) share your desire to be done with them as quickly as possible.

Good 7.1, pretty-darn-hilly, loving-every-minute-of it-miles, moebo. Sounds like an ideal workout.

Good mom-and-pop shopping and last-minuted tearing out the bathroom floor workout, dnaff. Anything to have a good story to tell, eh?

Nice 10.3 hilly virtual ride in Norway, Doug. Glad you got it done.

Good 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning, 10 on the Matrix bike and 6 hours of retail hell, Jlynne. Well, maybe the retail hell wasn't as much fun as the work on the elliptical and Matrix. I'm sorry atht staying up late with DD and DSIL did you in.

It's not often that we get excited about a muscle strain, Twocat. Except when the alternative could have been a lot worse, which I'm very glad that it wasn't.

I'm glad that you are happily ensconced at home, Erika, and that the effort to get there wasn't too painful. I guess one of the big questions is whether the cat will get used to your walker before you give it up?

Nice 5.2 heart rate based jogging/hiking miles on Cougar Mtn, Enke. Good base-building work.

Interesting (and fun to read) reminiscing about the '09 Rocket City Marathon that RCG and KSA ran together but apart.

Good effort to get back to some distance swimming, BTY. I wonder if you'll get your wish for a digital clock at the other Y. I wonder if Dolly or you enjoyed the shared nap more?

I got most of the things on my list done yesterday, although I only baked 2 cakes instead of 3. So it goes. I got out for 3.6 miles that was mostly painless, once I got going and got past some stiffness. At one point, I contemplated trying a little racewalking, just to see how it would feel. After a mental slap in the face, I rightfully abandoned that thought. Dinner last night with our good friend and neighbor was a great way to finish off a busy day.

I was awake and on the floor in the guest room (and pseudo-gym) at 4:40 this morning for 85 minutes of knee exercises, core work, weights, and stretching. DW and I have a couple of gift shopping stops to make today, and I'll also have to make time for today's walk.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

Thanks for the start Jay.

Mrs Bio and I are headed to Annapolis for a family party this afternoon. Yesterday I got in 30 minutes on the arc trainer then lifted weights a bit, We walked a bit over 3 miles later in the day with the dog.

To celebrate the end of my molecular biology class we went to the movies Friday, first time since pre-Covid. Saw The Holdovers and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Henrun

One hour of walking this morning before the rain starts. Temp in the low 50’s. Yesterday we subwayed into Manhattan to visit MOMA and walked a bit of 5th Ave until the sea of pedestrians became overwhelming. Family party at noon and home tomorrow .

C-R

Thanks for the start Jay and good for you to avoid the temptation of trying racewalk. Keep the discipline.

Haven't bee to the movies since Maverick. May try that with DW today.

Have fun at the party Henrun.

Got 30 minutes on the bike this morning. More of a strength vs cardio workout. Hope the legs  will respond this afternoon on the run.

Got a nice 5 miles yesterday morning before what was a massive busy day of volunteering at the hospital, tailgate before Colts huge win and joining a couple of holiday parties. Went to bed early. Today will be more house chores while watching some original football and the US version.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Got a nice 5 miles yesterday morning before what was a massive busy day of volunteering at the hospital, tailgate before Colts huge win

That was a heck of a game!

Thanks for the start Jay.

2 walking miles this morning and the rest of the day will be spent prepping for a family gathering this evening. Our DD from Denver hasn't seen her siblings in over a year so it will be nice to have everyone together.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Thanks for starting us off, Jay. I'm glad you resisted the temptation to just "try out" a little racewalking. It will come back soon enough.

Nice to see that Henry and Jeanne both got walks in this morning. Henry, our one time in NYC was simply overwhelming for us although it was partly due to being close to a holiday weekend (Easter). I hope never to be in crowds of people like that again! Was MOMA worth it? Some particular exhibit or just a basic visit?

Raining lightly here today so I went to the gym for a pretty good round of weight machines, stretching, and floor work. This is the smaller of the two gyms that we belong to and is a nice, quiet, cozy place on a rainy Sunday morning. Our DS is coming over this afternoon and we have dinner reservations downtown. We'll be seeing him a lot with Christmas Eve and Day coming up -- maybe he'll invite us over to his place for some of the festivities.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - Nice yesterday’s 3.6 mile walk. How did you decide you are ready already instead of the week or two I thought? Good luck today. However, for sure, RW sounds like too much of a knee shock for a while, though.

Just call me Mr. PK. I’m still kind of surprised to still be needing them now well over a week later but count my blessings every time I do. The tight knee-and-above swelling still like an overblown sausage has gone down a little but, with the holes like clay you can push in it seeming to rebound a little better, everything’ll probably be perfectly fine and normal with no pain at all for Wednesday’s follow-up, . . . until I go home.

Roch - nice ride on the Norwegian Tundra Road. I’ve done our Dalton Highway (nee North Slope Haul Road) by pickup in those days but long before any bicycles were allowed as you can do now and I’d otherwise love to. Is it on your Fulgaz reportoire? Are you and Deezie/C-R on the same riding app to go on one together sometime?

ps - before the R2AK, there’s been a 200-mile sail boat only one around a nearby island but R2Ak’s simple rule just banning power allows an interesting accumulation of entries (with the paddle boarder being one of the neatest).

ps - his web page reports on his current multi year traverse of the Northwest Passage through 2026..

Henrun - nice MOMA. You’ll feel right at home in Seattle next month as our own SAM right off one of the our convenient bus line’s stops is displaying your MFA’s Hokusai collection through January 21 I hope to be mobile enough to go to before then.

CR - Does “US version” mean you grow up playing/watching it in Europe or you’re just more a soccer fan from experience over here than football? What do you do at the Hospital on Sunday? Thanks.

Had a neat double moonset of the 25% crescent slipping behind the green and red lighted 76 floor tallest downtown building before reappearing and setting for real behind the Olympic Moutain Rance 60 miles across Elliott Bay.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Interesting Huntsville (Rocket City) marathon stories RCG and RunnerKSA. Well things have changed a bit. You do still run under a very short tunnel a bit before the race finish in the Van Braun Center. Now, the course is very well marked. There are race officials all over to make sure you go the right way. The food at the end was, well, pathetic. Good enough, but that is it. Now they have races over two days. On Saturday they hold a 5k and 10k. Then marathon day you can run a front half marathon, a "back half marathon", the full marathon or participate as part of a relay team.  I put back half in quotes, since it does not follow the full marathon route. Instead it starts near 15 miles into the full. Not on the course, near. The back half then loops around its own bit of route before connecting to the full about 17 miles in.

My DW managed to get 3rd place in her AG for the back half marathon. One disappointment was her "trophy". It was a small medal sized piece of wood, with a few generic phrases on it. Nothing about the AG, or place. Totally generic. I realize a lot of people that win these things, win a LOT of trophies and are not interested in getting yet another. But there are a few of us for who this is a rare event, and getting one is rather special, so yes I wish they had given my DW something more than a small piece of wood that says little other than you were at the some race  under the Rocket City Marathon umbrella.

As to running, I got in three before some monster rain storm is supposed to arrive. Some of the forecasters have been really over the top about the storm. Why do they do that? How many extra clicks do you get by announcing the incoming storm of all storms every few months?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good afternoon Masters, group run today, 6 of us headed out and ran a 12 miler in spectacular conditions, 18 F with little wind. We ran a few trail miles along the Red River in Whittier Park on the return leg, crossing the Seine River on the way back to the RR. A beautiful Sunday run. Have a greight day all!

Thanks, Jay, and good afternoon to everyone.  Good run, sub7, but that sounds very cold to me!  Twocat- that's crummy about the "medal."  I personally don't need the ones the size of dinner plates that some races are offering now, although they are cool, but you want something a little bit special!   One of my early marathons in Dallas (Denton, TX actually), which I won female overall, gave out race shirts that simply said ASICS on the front and that was it for the shirt.  We were NOT pleased, as you can imagine.  Back then we really put a lot of stock in the race shirts, and since there weren't really many tech fabric offerings yet we actually did train in the race shirts.

I got out about noon over at the park for 4.3 miles.  I tried out a new Rabbit jacket to replace my "go to" mid-weight Oiselle jacket.  Today was too warm for the Rabbit jacket, probably, but I liked it OK.  It has snaps instead of a zipper, which I wasn't sure I would like, but it worked out because you can open it up from the top or bottom.  It's the little things....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Well Twocat, a big congrats to your wife on her AG 3rd place win! Not that easy to do in a big crowd.

I really wanted to run today, but that would be 3 days in a row, and not sure my body would like it. I went for a walk instead and realized shortly in that I made the right call as I was a bit pooped. 4.15 miles in cold damp air but the sun was out.

Going to see a college basketball game tonight. Haven't done that in decades.

On my trail run yesterday, several sprightly young trail runners passed by, and they all seemed to be wearing Hokas. But when I go to running warehouse for example, a lot of the Hokas don't get great reviews, and you know the pair I had disintegrated quickly - with parts of the sole falling off. But they look so dang comfortable on those trail runners! Anyway, if anyone has recommendations for a very comfortable Hoka or other brand trail shoe, do let me know! I don't want it to have a super high stack though.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dnaff

Good afternoon all.

Tet, I’m coming out for a visit just to experience the views you have from your new place.  It sounds like your view is always a great start as well as a great end to the day.

My coffee maker ran the whole pot across the counter and on to the floor on Thanksgiving.  Right before the pie.  Oh the horror.  Anyway, it made me so mad I scooped it up and took it straight to the trash.  It may have been operator error, but I was done!  So today I carefully selected a replacement.  In the end I got another Cuisinart but much smaller.  Only 5 cups with an eye toward ongoing downsizing.  It looks good on the counter.

I also got the dog out for one walk and one run.  One more dog walk and yoga and my day’s to do list will be complete.  PT done this morning.  Now to sit a bit and see if the Bears can manage to lose this game.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I got in 3 miles in between rain showers today.

Ran some errands, now I am wrapping presents.

How quickly the weekend goes!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Now to sit a bit and see if the Bears can manage to lose this game.

Heh heh heh. Sorry Dawn.

The rrs is extremely happy with the outcome of da Bears v Browns game.

He's busy in the kitchen making chicken paprikash

Smiling as he stirs the pot.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dawn - not to worry. This one yesterday before the moon came out is for you.

(first fuzzy and maybe only until I get new laptop next year, . . . maybe)

Tet, I’m coming out for a visit just to experience the views you have from your new place.  It sounds like your view is always a great start as well as a great end to the day.

Heh heh heh. Sorry Dawn.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)