Masters Running

Sunday September runs and weekend fun (Read 407 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

8:41 miles in the rain this morning. (a pr she says in a quiet voice). ahr was 167, max 180. average pace 9:50, max 7:46. several small stops to get my hr down. I'm happy with this! Big grin. miles were all pretty close, and the last was the fastest. (9:22). And when I started, my hamstrings didn't hurt at all! It's been a while since I could say that.
    Hey, this is HUGE! Great job, and I'm so happy the hamstring is doing better. TomWhite - Big grin Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hmmm ... maybe if I ran very, very slowly I could do it, such as 10:00 mile pace or slower.
      Hey, that's what's working for me right now. Since I'm already walking a tightwire attempting the "0 miles to Marathon in 10 weeks" plan, I figure speed of any type might throw me over the edge.... Tongue

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ribs, nice job at the race. Good races for WRFB (AG award), PDR (AG award), busi (almost PR), deez (speedy), and mrsTwocat (distance PR). Nice long runs for Peter, CNY, bike, Aamos, mari, Holly, bike (another), breger, PDR, Walt, dg (distance PR, fast last mile, and hamstrings good), Tramps, ribs (1st 8 since surgery), and CNY (another). This morning it was in the low to mid 60s, fairly calm, and overcast/misty. Another soso run, this one 6 miles in just over an hour for a 10:01 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
        Mariposai

Dying to hear how gordon and arf did in their marathon today. Erika, so happy to hear that NYC is happening for you after all. yeahhhhh. Will run later after I finish my book. Troilus and Cressida has been a good summer reading companion. Now I will pick a book that it does not make my head hurt when I am reading.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Holly, good to hear the continued (smart) recovery! I see a lot of other productive long runs this morning. Btw, I've seen more runners out there the last few weeks now that people are peaking for Fall marathons. I had a comfortable 20-miler today, the last five at marathon pace. My ham was a bit tender at the start, but after 8 miles it seemed fine. Now off to bike with the family...enjoy your day folks! Craig
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
              I ran early this morning, but had to quick get ready to go to a homebrew competition at which I judged. Some good beers, for sure -- nothing horrible and that's a plus. Don't know how mine did yet. Probably won't find out for several days. It's a well organized event, but the organizers are dealing with the county fair, and there is some overhead they can't get around. I took it reasonably slow for 14 miles this morning -- it was great weather to run in, about 64°F average, and only 80% humidity. I'm a little sore in a few places from yesterday's race, but I think I'll live. Smile I'm not entirely happy that I can't find the results -- I'd like to know what the official time was and how many were in my age group, but I'll try to be patient. 14.2 miles, 2:08, 9:02/mi, AHR 143 Now I'm pretty sure I have some stuff to do around here. I'd better get started. Hope you all had a great weekend!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Back to the gym, this time with Dark Colt. I did 30 barbell curls, 30 lat pulldowns, 30 leg curls. Now stewing fresh rhubarb from my sister's garden, sweetened with maple syrup. New England hath no finer delicacy. Well, lobsters are pretty good, too. And ice cream. And fried clams. And butternut squash with nutmeg and butter. And turnip with butter. And roast turkey with cranberry sauce, and anything served at Thanksgiving. Hey, is it Thanksgiving soon? I'm hungry. Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                  In celebration of international long run day, 16 miles Smile Smile Smile Smile 4 loops of 4 miles on the horse trails Wasn't sure if that was going to happen today, I would have been happy with 8 miles. I went really slow, did not look at Garmin, went on perceived effort of 65 to 70% for first 12 miles. Then perceived effort of 75 to 80% on last loop. The first 4 felt kinda yuck But the next 4 felt better The third 4 were wonderful The fourth 4 were total bliss, and over 1 min/mile faster than the others. Oddly, there was a glitch in the space time continuum as monitored by the Garmin. I lost 1/10 of a mile somewhere in the second loop. The map looks funny, 4 loops all overlapping except part of the second one diverges off the path quite drastically, creating an apparent shortcut back to the car, which believe me, I never took. Wondering about Lynden's race.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Way to go Enke! High fives---four at least for you! Read Dark Horse's short story on speed....also a faster after doing more loops kind of tale. Cool. I also meant to give a shout out to Erika yesterday. You are running FAST these days and while I know the Equinox course is a tough one---seriously tough, I think you will get that goal of yours and then some. I signed up to volunteer at the NYC marathon. Great news that it will work out for you. Twocat and Aamos (I think) will be there too. Karin
                      Now stewing fresh rhubarb from my sister's garden, sweetened with maple syrup. New England hath no finer delicacy. Well, lobsters are pretty good, too. And ice cream. And fried clams. And butternut squash with nutmeg and butter. And turnip with butter. And roast turkey with cranberry sauce, and anything served at Thanksgiving. Hey, is it Thanksgiving soon? I'm hungry. Dark Horse
                      I am so glad I'm planning on being in Portland in a month, or this would have me seriously depressed....I have already resolved to break the healthy eating habit and have fried clams (w/ bellies, of course). And I'm out of the syrup I brought back from Vermont earlier this year. Yes! Erika--see you in NYC! dg--thanks for that website--we are seriously checking it out, but some of the user reviews have been less than stellar--note that Garmin has a footpod, so I'm wondering if it would be better to stick with the known brand? And DH is going to try to train by HR--it makes sense, health wise, and the concept seems sound. Might as well try it when he has to go slowly anyway. In the spirit, I ran 9 today and tried to do it by HR, so it was 9 in 1:21 and an ave. HR of 142. And I don't want to jinx it, but the news from Texas as I'm listening in the bottom of the 8th is great! grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Go, Red Sox! We watched the game on a TV at a local restaurant last night. We were rooting for the Sox pitcher, Chris Smith, because when he played for the AA Portland Sea Dogs, he lived with our next-door neighbor during baseball season. One day DS10 went down and asked for his autograph. He was very nice about it. I didn't even know he was pitching at the major league level. Too bad he had a hard time. Off to find the game!
                          I am so glad I'm planning on being in Portland in a month
                          Are you doing the Portland Marathon? I may just have to change my plans that weekend if a famous Boomer is going to be that close by. Still fence sitting on that one.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Twocat congratulate DW for all of us on that long run. Smile Breger I agree I always need a goal race to motivate me, it's the main reason I race at all. Tim 30 mile weekend is awesome, I just jumped from 15 mile weekend to 17, hoping to up it to 19 in 4 weeks. CNY you're an incredible runner I wish I could have called you for the relay, if you were eligible & willing to travel that far we'd let you run the 5k. Wink 12.1 mile very hilly run for me today in 2:05:10. Slow but finished feeling strong. Not bad for 1,100 foot of hills. Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Well it was not the time I wanted,but I finished(this course was not going beat me 2 years in a row)...it was hot and I obviously was not as ready as I wanted to be...4:03:56...PW But I got a cool tech shirt,nice medal and I won a $50.00 gift certificate in the drawing...so I'm a winner after all My Coach was running the half and hurt his hamstring...pulled out at mile 7...he was very proud of me for finishing...life is good Did not see Divechief or Arf Sad
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

King of PhotoShop

Well it was not the time I wanted,but I finished(this course was not going beat me 2 years in a row)...it was hot and I obviously was not as ready as I wanted to be...4:03:56...PW But I got a cool tech shirt,nice medal and I won a $50.00 gift certificate in the drawing...so I'm a winner after all My Coach was running the half and hurt his hamstring...pulled out at mile 7...he was very proud of me for finishing...life is good Did not see Divechief or Arf Sad
                                It's a tough course and that weather was not right for a marathon. Rest up and go get another. Everyone on this site knows how fast you run and the condition you are in. You are not anywhere close to being a 4:03 marathoner. But you can notch it as another one done. You were on all our minds today, so thanks for checking in. Spareribs