Masters Running

Saturday 9:27 Runs (Read 665 times)

Hill Runner

Where is everyone... Raining here this morning...I went out early to get some gas and came back to run. 8.10 miles of hills @ 8:53 pace and I must have actually gained a couple of pound when I got back because I was dripping wet...just the way I like it! Good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

The Jogger

Morning Gang Thanks for starting us Peter, sounds like it's doing the opposite of here. Another nice Autumn morning, sun shining and about 20c Thought about doing another 8 hilly trail run but as it was so nice thought I would do 10 ended up with a nice 11 and Woody kept up the whole way. In fact quite often he was out in front Wink The ascent was 687' and at the top it was undulating so the total ascent would be a lot more. Anyway: 11m 01:58:22 @ 10:45 pace AHR 153 72% Good runs All Roy
        8.05 miles easy - 1:07:44 (8:24) Avg HR 130 Max HR 144 - 63 degrees & very humid. but we goy a bit of a break in the rain! Big grin
          Got mine out of the way early, too...10.3 @ 8.45/mile, 139/166. Time to go get the girls.....
          Dave59

Easy 6 this morning.

Good runs, all. Taper continues with 3 easy miles in a light drizzle. It was surprisingly warm at 67°F, and 96% humidity so the run had a higher perceived effort than I expected. 3.2 miles, 27:30, 8:42/mi, AHR 146

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild wrote:
                Dark Horse, I understand what you're saying, but a simple apology to CNYrunner for causing her distress isn't too much to ask, is it?
                CNYrunner/Karin is one of the finest people I know – generous, hard-working, dedicated, and thoroughly and genuinely kind-hearted. To offend her is no small matter. She responded to the offending post in a gentle and classy way. She deserved a response in kind. Part of what makes this forum different from other forums is the genuine caring that most of us have for each other. Yes, this is a virtual reality, and many of us will never meet others here, but when we do, when we have, the consensus has been that people have invariable turned out to be just as wonderful in real life. If you say something and give offense, it shouldn’t be that hard to say, hey, I didn’t mean to offend you, I’m sorry to have done so. This didn’t need to become such a battleground. 14 miles for me today in 63 degrees, with miles 3 and 5 at 8:49, and the ave pace overall 10:09. I intended this to be a long run/wave run, but just don’t have the stamina and endurance for that yet. Happily, my sore seems to be improving more and more.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

About 7 miles today, including a local 5K on a mostly flat course I haven't done before. Garmin time was 22:05, not a PR or anything but good for me on a humid day. HR shows I was working quite a bit: AHR 165, Max 173. ETA: I finally had a chance to go back and find DH’s post that offended. As much as I hate to defend DH for any reason, it sounded to me like he was saying: 1) the guy was a racist, 2) this racism was pervasive. This incident clearly left an impression on him and it seems to be what he associates with his only visit to Columbia, South Carolina, which was the reason for the post. Karin’s objection seemed to be that this distasteful story was relayed in the daily thread at all. I can certainly understand that, too. It was just told and then left hanging and, in my opinion, DH’s later responses were overly defensive and not helpful. It reminded me of when I used to teach material on racism. I began by going around the room and having students say every racial epithet they could think of and we wrote them on the board. On one level, it was shocking and provocative and uncomfortable. On another level, it was nothing students didn't already know. Then we discussed: Why do we all know these terrible terms? Where do they come from? What does this say about the continued existence of individual racial prejudice in society? Etc. etc. We then moved on to discuss institutional racism and the links between individual thinking and institutional behavior, etc. I developed this approach after seeing that many white students wanted to treat racism as if it was only an historical artifact: “There was racism, Martin Luther King came along, problem solved. I don't know what people today are whining about.” Recognizing and naming racist terms was a useful way to make the point that racism lives, evolves, and is recreated by each generation through socialization. I relate this story because, in a way, DH’s post was the provocation without the analysis. Everyone else chiming in helped put it in perspective and made each of us think about how we relate to such incidents. I learned by reading those posts, I hope others did too, and, in the end, I think that’s a good thing.

Be safe. Be kind.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, great run! Don't be hard on yourself - I think you're doing wonderfully! Keep being careful. I like your profile pic, by the way. Rest day for me. DS16 is at a big XC meet in Manchester, NH. It will probably be pouring at the time of the race. Tough conditions, but he thrives in those. I was going to attend the meet, but when they started mentioning street flooding, I thought I should stay home with my other two kids, in case our power goes out. DH is out of town this weekend.
                    DickyG

PETA wants world-famous Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream to begin using human breast milk in its products instead of cow's milk, saying it would reduce the suffering of cows and calves and give ice cream lovers a healthier product. In a related press release, representatives of Ben & Jerry's announced that they have signed Dolly Parton to a lifetime contract. Enke:
                      After searching the internet all I can say is it could be a stress fracture forming in my 5th metatarsal, or one of the tendons there is inflamed.
                      That's very possible...same thing happened to me last year, although it was the result of hard running during softball...went to podiatrist & he got me these special insoles...the insoles & the sponges did the trick. Maine:
                      Oh well still a nice run and loads better than running on a treadmill in my opinion.
                      Absolutely...I've only been on a treadmill twice...and both times I fell off. Roy: Man, you're getting good! Tramps: 22:05? That's quite a bit faster than your last 5K...I think it was 23+? Yesterday, managed to get in 4.2 miles late in the day...and between rain storms...as Carolyn suggested, didn't take my watch. But I tried to keep time in my head...I think I covered the 4.2 miles in about 19 minutes...about 4 1/2 minutes/mile...prettygood, huh? I'll probably do about 4 miles this afternoon..anyway, the golf course is probably flooded. DickyG
                        Had a greta run with the club this morning, although running "with the club" just means that we all start together, but of course end up sorting into small pace groups, usually by age. I had some good conversation while running one lap of the park -- 6 miles -- at a 9:15 pace. My leg felt as good as it has in the 9 months since I hurt it, and I would say that I'm at least 95% recovered now. Smile I had a full bike-fitting session on Thursday (a present from my DW) and am feeling even better on the bike. One thing that they did was a full flexibility and skeletal evaluation. Turns out that my right leg is slightly longer (almost everyone has a slight discrepancy in leg length), but it's my right femur that's longer, which is almost compensated by my left fibula being longer than the right. They then made some adjustments on my cleats so my knees line up right when pedaling, but this assymetry might be one reason why I've had a number of left-leg injuries over the years (knee, groin, hamstring). Anyway, good luck to anyone racing this weekend. I'll expect to catch up on the RRs on Monday.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good Saturday morning everyone. An 8 mile run at a 9:31 pace and a trip to farmer's market for some acorn squash, green beans and brussel sprouts (okay, an acquired taste). Debated about buying some corn stalks and pumpkins to decorate the yard, but I think I'll let the neighborhood kids get their pumpkin throwing jollies from someone else on the street first. Some great runs this morning. Holly - hope you're sitting on some ice right now! Good to hear from Peter, Roy, Lou, Dave and Mainerunnah. The rain that everyone on the east coast is experiencing would be much appreciated here - haven't had a drop in weeks. Tramps - good run this morning - watch that heart rate. Got a box in the mail yesterday with DS2's civilian clothes, cell phone, etc. No note or return address. Sad It'll be a week tomorrow since he left. DH and I are truly empty nesters now and I think it'll take me a while to adjust to that. It will be interesting to hear the kiddo's take on boot camp. I rented the movie "Run Fat Boy Run" to watch tonight. Anyone hear about it or see it? It's supposed to be about some overweight guy that starts training to run a marthon to impress a girl. I'll give a "review" tomorrow. Enjoy your day, everyone. Jeanne
                          wildchild

Carolyn

It was 85 degrees in Denver yesterday - too hot to run at lunch, so I went for a trail run on the way home in the state park, where it was a cool 55 degrees. 5.5 miles at a slow 13 mm avg pace, with lots of steep hills on this trail. The aspens are turning gold and it was just beautiful! I plan to get out this afternoon for a long run with the dogs. Let's all try to play nicely together today, OK? Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I finally had a chance to go back and find DH’s post that offended. As much as I hate to defend DH for any reason, it sounded to me like he was saying: 1) the guy was a racist, 2) this racism was pervasive. This incident clearly left an impression on him and it seems to be what he associates with his only visit to Columbia, South Carolina, which was the reason for the post.
                              Thank you, Tramps. I see someone here has good reading comprehension. You are a smart guy, and believe it or not, I was hoping you would come through for me. I take your other points, including the point that I did not follow up this anecdote with analysis. It never occurred to me that analysis was necessary, especially when I had already used the word "racist" to describe the attitudes I met there. I believe all of us here are on the same page, when it comes to regretting the racism of the past, and hoping the future will be better. This doesn't mean we should pretend it never happened, and shoot the messenger who reminds us. After I painted a picture of another time and place, someone took offense. I thought, "Gee, that's inappropriate. Doesn't she understand that this was someone else's attitude 25 years ago, not mine today?" Then a lot of other people dumped a load of crap on me, and frankly, that is not the way to get me to do anything. Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Renee the dog

Thank you, Tramps. I see someone here has good reading comprehension.
                                Perhaps with better written material, the rest of us "dolts" might understand your point.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!