Masters Running

Mondaily, 2.26.24 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I woke a little early this morning, and so got out on the roads early too, and went 7.23 RW miles in seasonal 28° temps under a gauzy moon that gradually disappeared behind drifting clouds. I worked on improving my stride length today, and did a reasonable job with that. I got home in time for 35 minutes of stretching, some core work, and some weights.

I went to see my knee surgeon this morning for the final kiss-off. He said the knee looked good, and since I'm not having any issues with it, it is OK to start racewalking again. I didn't tell him what I've been doing for the past few weeks, or about this morning's workout either.

Our Executive Director is in vacation this week, so I get double-duty. So I'd better get to it.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.   LOL- you sound like me with my doctors.  Glad you got the official all clear.

Steve- congrats on yet another grandchild!  Love that the Baby Jogger has been put to such good use.  We had the second single Baby Jogger in Dallas-Ft. Worth in 1984 and the first double when Kiley was born.  Ken raced a 10K at about a 6:00 pace with the single stroller.

Better Monday run than last week for sure.  5.7 miles on my hillier neighborhood course. The hills were still hard, but my heart rate was lower and my pace was faster.  Not loving the Asics Nimbus 26.  They feel warm (unusual for me to say that) and seem like a lot of shoe, even for someone who likes a lot of cushioning.

We went to the local theater to see Asleep at the Wheel in concert last night with a friend from church.  They've been around for over 50 years.  The lead singer, Ray Benson, is 6'7" with a beard almost that long as well.  Texas Swing.

Have a greta Monday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

Thank for the start, Jay.  Glad you got the all clear to do what you've already been doing.  You can do so now with a clear conscience.  

Speaking of jogging strollers, we brought our grandbaby and her Mommy, our DD, to a Spaghetti and Meatballs dinner at the local American Legion yesterday afternoon, and made use of the jog stroller to walk from our house to the Legion Hall, about a 1/4 mile walk.  It's a good start.  Neat how the car seat pops in and back out again so easily.   I didn't start running until DD was beyond stroller age, so the thought of a jogging stroller didnt enter our minds way back when.  But so nice, even if just for walking.

What a nice workout I had this morning, both the strength aspect and the swimming.   It was business than I expected it to be in the gym at 6:45 AM, and a few more people than there have been in February, since the January Resolutionaries started losing their war of attrition. I wasn't able to do the exercises in the sequence intended, again, but I was able to move from machine to machine, out of order, with no delays.  This was a "pull" workout so the emphasis was on upper back, rear deltoids, and biceps.

The swim workout was a "moderate" intensity but relatively short workout.   1,450 yards - just over 3/4 of a mile, and only about 40 minutes long.  This was the second workout in a row in which I've left my swim fins home, and did the kicking drills with just my size 10-1/2 feet as paddles.   While it feels weird to be kicking and not seemingly going anywhere, I can tell from the clock that I've improved my kicking by using those fins.   I could also tell that I was moving right along with the lap swimmers who were swimming just slower than a 2:00/100 yard pace.   That was very gratifying, to know that a year of training with fins made a significant improvement in my non-aided kicking.

The main sets this morning were freestyle (2 sets of 4 x 25 at 95% effort) and backstroke (4 x 50 at 95% effort).  On the freestyle repeats I was shooting for 16 seconds each and got 7 16's and a final 15 at all out effort.   On the backstroke I was aiming for 42's, but got 41, 41, 41, and a 40 for icing on the cake.   My friend the lifeguard (Jim) complimented me on the improvement I've made on the backstroke flip turns of late and he could see the difference in how long it isn't taking me to change directions now.   I think I've only done the 50 yard backstroke in two meets, back in early 2023, and I think my race times were 42 and just under 40.   So with a start off of the blocks and race environment I hope to improve on that in March at the next meet.   Which reminds me I need to register!

So, DS#2 just let DW know that he doesn't really want us to tell my Mom or siblings and friends just yet, until they make their exciting news Facebook Official.   So I can't tell you their exciting news yet, still!

Lying to doctors, it's a runner thang, you wouldn't understand.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Lying to doctors, it's a runner thang, you wouldn't understand.

Surly  - fortunately, lawyers are the only ones in the courtroom who don't have to swear to tell the truth either.

ps -those "shoes" look like thongs.

pps - that tire looks like on GK's

toy cars when he was little.

BTY - I'm not on FB so pop in anytime with the news.

Steve -the Mori Bento turned out not to be open on Sunday (as is the case with each and every of all the Japanese restuarnats in the International District all Sunday long) but, for some reason the Japanse Tonkatsu (pork cutlet strips) restaurant strangely named "Small Pig and Wolf" Restaurant ("kobuta to Ookami") across the street was open so we walked the five blocks over anyway only to find TEN people standing outside to get in along with a half a dozen waiting on benches inside by the check in/out podium but, since we were already there, we waited to go in eventually in about 15 minutes to find concierge check-in, waiters/resses and the six cooks behind the counter spots we got were all speaking Spanish! 

Oh well, we were already there and the offerings coming over the counter looked very good with thick cutlet strips and the little helpings of cabbage we would have expected were huge mountains of it, same as the overflowing heapings of rice in the little laquered bowls that are usually daintily filled at Japanese restaurants for as many seconds as you want.  Better yet, they also had a little  suribachi/surikogi mortar-and-pestle bowl for grinding the fresh sesame seeds as one of the few garnishes allowed to be sprinkled on top of the white rice. Only problem was, nobody spoke Japanese or enough English to find out how they came up with the name.  Gochisousama.

After falling asleep while trying listen to the oldie station's "Johnny Dollar," I didn't wake up until quite late (6:30 am) so got ready for a Jay Motive Walk down to the Chinatown/ID area in a more seasonal 35F than the warm temps of the last month have been and under heavy dark and light mixed clouds with occasional peeks at the waning gauzy moon  (97%) that gradually would disappear behind the drifting clouds. I worked on improving my stride straightening and bending as much as possible in preparation for what I hope will be the final kiss-off with the orthopedic on Friday who I feel treats me like a used car come in for a new part but, except for still having to get Dr. Torture's help in a couple more degrees of straightening (to zero degrees like the left leg) and bending into the 125 - 130 degree range that I'm already up to the low 120's in, since I've got all the mobility already back for doing everything I used to be able to do and, except for the continued swelling that, though, is well down from before, I'm not having any issues with it so hope to be back to my beloved stair climbs, jogs down to the lake for morning dips when it warms up, if ever, etc. 

Of course, like my mentor Dr. Jay in knee matters, I won't be telling him about the Icicle 5K with the Fairbanks runners earlier in the month, let along eschewing the buses and the rental ebikes to walk up to the beloved same hospital up the hill of my birthright right there 80 years ago,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Jay - thanks for the start and I’m sure the doctor ‘knew’ you weren’t following orders.

4 miles walking in shorts and T-shirt.  No we weren’t indoors, but ‘suffering’ in Sarasota FL.  Also, suffered by having lunch outside (& dinner last night)

have a greta rest of your day

marj. (Spelled with a j, except when it isn’t)

Happy Mondaily!! I am negatively HAPPY and feeling good!!

Washing all the sheets and blankets, have the windows open and airing out the house!! Love these kind of days!!

Morning - 2 Peloton barre classes

Afternoon - 5 mile run with .1 mile walk at the start of each mile, .3 mile walk and a nice chat playing ketchup with neighbors

Mid-afternoon - 30 min upper body class, 10 min core class and some stretching

And the best part - I don't have to work until FRIDAY then have another 4 day stretch off!!

Love the jogging strollers - I wasn't running much until we had the 4th son and my brother bought me a nice jogging stroller as a thank you for asking him to be the Godfather!! Loved it!!

Steve - CONGRATS on your exciting news

BTY - CONGRATS on your exciting news which is not yet announced 

Marj and Henry - enjoy Florida

Jay - glad the RW is officially cleared

KSA - nice run

denise

TammyinGP

Good Monday Afternoon all,

Had a wonderful weekend here in So. Oregon. Weather could not have been more perfect for this time of year. In fact, we were flirting with almost 70 both afternoons. And then we tanked about 30 degrees and it's rain with chances of snow this week.

DH is going through our 24 yrs of accumulation in the attic - some things are sellable, other items we are giving away, and a lot of it is best suited for the garbage. Our neighbors kids came over yesterday and we passed along several of David's kids items to them - footballs, dvd's, tinkertoys, air hockey, a jr golf club set, etc. 

A couple hrs ago, David landed in Panama. 92 degrees and humid.   Meanwhile I'm wearing a plaid flannel shirt today. 

yikes: I need to decide asap if I'm going to run the 20 miler or the "marathon' (28 miles) on 4/14. Only 17 spots left in the race. it always sells out.

Tammy

Mariposai

Happy birthday Twocat!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Surly  - fortunately, lawyers are the only ones in the courtroom who don't have to swear to tell the truth either.

Happy Birthday, Twocat!  Congratulations to you and your DW on your races, even if you wish yours had been faster.

Denise - that's a heck of a workout day!

Well, I went into work today and huddled in my office with the door closed.  However, after about 3 hours I asked to go home, because just didn't feel up to it.  My attorney Kristie is also sick, and she went home as well.  I got a text from the boss's wife that Kristie had Covid, so a couple hours later I texted back that I was also infected.  I will take tomorrow off.  This started on Friday and tomorrow is Day 5, so does that mean I won't be infectious on Wednesday?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

If you don’t have cough, runny nose etc (or fever) you should be ok if you feel up to it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Well, I went into work today and huddled in my office with the door closed.  However, after about 3 hours I asked to go home, because just didn't feel up to it.  My attorney Kristie is also sick, and she went home as well.  I got a text from the boss's wife that Kristie had Covid, so a couple hours later I texted back that I was also infected.  I will take tomorrow off.  This started on Friday and tomorrow is Day 5, so does that mean I won't be infectious on Wednesday?

That stinks Holly - sorry you still feel on the lousy side. I think if you feel symptoms including just that general unwell feeling there is the chance you could still be infectious, but if you feel recovered by then it would be different. I hope your boss (boss's wife) didn't ask when you tested positive and that it doesn't have any backlash on you for going into work. For me, it's different because of working in a hospital where most patients are compromised in some way. I have a feeling the automatic 5 day out rule will change soon, but right now it's still in place so the decision was out of my hands. (except to not report it but I did)

And yes - I love my power workout days like today!! It was so nice out too - I loved catching up with neighbors I haven't talked with in awhile.

My Sole Sister running group was on the Ch 5 news today - one of the members was interviewed about women and running safety after the nursing student from Georgia was killed. So incredibly sad. I know my mother hates when I run in Boston alone, but honestly running up Boylston St with the construction workers and police out there early is probably safer than most places!!

denise

SteveP

Double Duty Jay - Thank goodness you got permission to do what you've already done.

I just read BTY's workout.  I need to catch my breath while waiting for exciting news with bated breath.

Now Tesijin209's post is making me hungry.

Mrrun for the four plus dining outdoors!

Deez4Boyz working out morning noon and night.  The murder of the nursing student is incredibly sad and it's awful.  People should feel safe whether they are in groups or solo.

Love Tammy's hand me down party.

Happy Birthday TwoCat!

(((((Holly)))))

I got three miles on the mill.  My PT homework as well as my online PT class.  I got the dog out for a mile after work.  MIL was released from the hospital.  She was able to keep her foot.  It seems her house may need a few modifications.  Unfortunately, dirtbag BIL may be the best suited to build a ramp or two.

I gotta lace up! See ya!

SteveP

moebo

Just checking in before I lace up, too.

Glad to hear you are officially cleared to racewalk, Jay.

And happy birthday to to Twocat!

I wasn't making much progress getting my butt/hip/back thingy to feel better using the PT exercises I learned last year, so I figured it might be something a little different this time. After a bit of searching, I decided it might be related to my obturator internus. On Sunday I tested my theory using some exercises I found online, and I am happy to report that they seem to have worked! I woke up yesterday feeling MUCH better, so I got in 2.75 miles mostly walking but with some jogging thrown in. Still feeling pretty good today, yay!

I'm tellin' ya, the internet can be a wonderful place.

Marathon Maniac #957

Moebo - nicely done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."